inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will Cable TV Die in the 2020s?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/02/19 at 11:17 pm

Given the new subscription services coming along to compete with Netflix like Disney+ and HBO Max, and the fact that 5G wireless services are soon coming which will supply speeds that exceed 1.4 Gbps, do you think the days of traditional cable TV are numbered? Do you think it's only a matter of time before infrastructure services kill off cable TV like they killed off analog TV back in 2009? I feel like this may happen some time in the 2020s, it will be a slow death but a sure one and I think we'll see it get killed next decade and completely replaced with streaming services. Thoughts? I am personally holding on to cable for as long as I can. Until it dies I will use traditional cable TV.

Subject: Re: Will Cable TV Die in the 2020s?

Written By: Howard on 09/03/19 at 7:29 am

Given the new subscription services coming along to compete with Netflix like Disney+ and HBO Max, and the fact that 5G wireless services are soon coming which will supply speeds that exceed 1.4 Gbps, do you think the days of traditional cable TV are numbered? Do you think it's only a matter of time before infrastructure services kill off cable TV like they killed off analog TV back in 2009? I feel like this may happen some time in the 2020s, it will be a slow death but a sure one and I think we'll see it get killed next decade and completely replaced with streaming services. Thoughts? I am personally holding on to cable for as long as I can. Until it dies I will use traditional cable TV.

I don't think it will but I believe something will eventually replace Cable TV with in the next few years.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/03/19 at 9:52 am

Yes, cable will go the way of terrestrial radio. Gone, baby, gone.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/03/19 at 1:56 pm

I don't think it will but I believe something will eventually replace Cable TV with in the next few years.

Streaming services?

Written By: Howard on 09/03/19 at 2:12 pm

Streaming services?

That looks like that it could be a possibility.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/03/19 at 5:06 pm

Yes, cable will go the way of terrestrial radio. Gone, baby, gone.

Also like landline phones. Not completely gone but much less popular, and mainly for the older generation that want to keep old technology.

Written By: ItsMichael on 09/03/19 at 11:49 pm

Not sure  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 09/04/19 at 12:41 am

Not sure  ???

Me neither but the purpose of this thread is for discussion.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/04/19 at 10:24 am

I feel like, if anything, that cable TV may actually make a bit of a renaissance, of sorts, in the 2020s. In today's realm of so many different streaming platforms to chose from (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc.) and with many of the rates for those platforms (basic packages notwithstanding) increasingly rising year after year, I feel like it's only a matter of time for when most people begin to ironically "tape back together the chord" and go with the simplicity and consistent sense of access that cable offers. The only way streaming could really overtake cable is if the platform in question has the same access to information and entertainment in the same vain as cable, but with the convenience of being able to stream that content anywhere. 4-5 years ago, Netflix or Hulu could've truly tried to innovate with that philosophy. However, with the stripping of Net Neutrality rules in the United States and the major corporate take overs within the entertainment industry in the last 5 or so years, such as; AT&T acquiring Warner Bros., Disney acquiring FOX, and T-Mobile & Sprint already in the process of combining, it seems borderline impossible for a streaming platform to have nearly all intellectual properties at their disposal to truly create a genuine alternative to cable, in the sense of replacing it and not having it coincide with it.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/19 at 2:59 pm

Also like landline phones. Not completely gone but much less popular, and mainly for the older generation that want to keep old technology.

I think eventually it will one day fade away and something new will take it's place.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/04/19 at 3:45 pm

If the big networks move to streaming then I can see it going away. That may happen soon but probably not in the next couple of years. I think internet connection and speeds must be very reliable so it mimics the reliability of cable and basic channels must be easily available and accessed. It seems very realistic but there is still some more work that needs to be done with 5G speeds and stuff. I think we are at least 5 years away from that, probably even a little more. All the news stations need to be on board too.

If it does happen, we can look back at this thread in the future and people can make fun of us for not knowing what's to come.  ;D

Written By: duenas8 on 09/05/19 at 1:06 pm

If the big networks move to streaming then I can see it going away. That may happen soon but probably not in the next couple of years. I think internet connection and speeds must be very reliable so it mimics the reliability of cable and basic channels must be easily available and accessed. It seems very realistic but there is still some more work that needs to be done with 5G speeds and stuff. I think we are at least 5 years away from that, probably even a little more. All the news stations need to be on board too.

If it does happen, we can look back at this thread in the future and people can make fun of us for not knowing what's to come.  ;D

The big networks ARE moving to streaming right now. I think it’s inevitable, as you said, maybe in 5-10 years when 5g becomes more accessible

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/05/19 at 2:14 pm

The big networks ARE moving to streaming right now. I think it’s inevitable, as you said, maybe in 5-10 years when 5g becomes more accessible

But I don't think you guys are truly understanding what that would mean. There would be some serious real world implications for a system that you are describing, in which telecom/entertainment companies are already in the process of transitioning towards anyways. Right now, cable providers (Fios, Spectrum, DirecTV, etc.) act as 'middle men', of sorts, to the access of different intellectual properties owned by an array of different companies. From Warner Bros. to Walt Disney, from Paramount to Universal. The caveat being that you pay a flat rate (monthly or annually, depending on provider/plan) to have the access to these channels of information.

Now, I agree that Cable, in principle, seems to be relatively anti-consumer because of this, because most households spend upwards of 100+ dollars to afford to be able to have this access to channels (not to mention the inclusion of internet capabilities and phone calling). However, if you think the cable providers, aka the 'middle men', are nefarious and the entertainment/telecom companies are just the 'innocent companies that want to offer the public access to their content just at a reasonable price', well then you'd be mistaken. Research the 'Mickey Mouse Law'; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

Essentially, before this law was passed, Disney (and other telecom giants) had no incentive of allowing their older properties become historical relics inducted to the National Registry, merely because they lobbied heavily to prevent this. Eventually, there was a counter-lobby initiative against these continued efforts, and it's because of those efforts as to why we have the laws we have today that regulate this. In short, there is precedent for telecom giants to rig the rules to their favor on how they distribute access of information to the masses, especially if information were from said adversarial services from competition.

So theoretically, if you only had a subscription to say Disney+, you wouldn't be able to access CNN, because the latter is owned by Warner Media, the main rival of Disney. However, there are always going to be people that are not blatant brand enthusiasts/fanboys, whom say like to watch HBO but also like to watch Marvel movies, if you cut out the 'middle man' of cable tv, you are then forced to succumb to the will of these telecom giants, and thus they can set whatever kind of rates they so choose to maximize profits. This doesn't benefit the consumer in the slightest.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/05/19 at 2:55 pm

I see what you are saying and I think the price will have to be competitive. But I can see another middle man coming to the world of streaming. Not like Netflix (whom we have seen being a middle man has failed for them) but like a package provider of sorts by the telecom companies.

I can picture in the future TV being just like we have it today almost, only instead of cable it is streaming  and of course the internet would have to get a lot more advanced with 5G in order for that to be a possibility. For someone to just turn on the TV and have the news on already streaming... Would take up a lot of bandwidth but the possibilities in the future are endless.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/19 at 3:56 pm

10 years from now, who knows if this thread will exist.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/19 at 3:59 pm

I see what you are saying and I think the price will have to be competitive. But I can see another middle man coming to the world of streaming. Not like Netflix (whom we have seen being a middle man has failed for them) but like a package provider of sorts by the telecom companies.

I can picture in the future TV being just like we have it today almost, only instead of cable it is streaming  and of course the internet would have to get a lot more advanced with 5G in order for that to be a possibility. For someone to just turn on the TV and have the news on already streaming... Would take up a lot of bandwidth but the possibilities in the future are endless.

So that means TV sets would be useless and don't forget the remote control cause that might be useless too.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/19 at 1:52 am

So that means TV sets would be useless and don't forget the remote control cause that might be useless too.

You still need a TV and a remote to stream content on your TV.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/19 at 7:35 am

You still need a TV and a remote to stream content on your TV.

Won't we be viewing TV programs on a hologram screen?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/19 at 12:03 pm

Won't we be viewing TV programs on a hologram screen?

Maybe

Written By: Howard on 09/06/19 at 1:57 pm

Maybe

I was watching some YouTube videos in the past and this is what our future would be like unless they're making stuff up, What do you think Slim?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/19 at 2:07 pm

I was watching some YouTube videos in the past and this is what our future would be like unless they're making stuff up, What do you think Slim?

It's possible

Written By: Howard on 09/06/19 at 2:09 pm

It's possible

Like everything will/would be touch screens.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/07/19 at 2:45 pm

This could be the TV of the 2020's.

I don't see how this is futuristic. It looks pretty similar to the smart TV I have today (except mine isn't curved). In fact the illustration even looks a little clunky and dated already, like its from a few years ago. The 2020s will be FAR beyond this.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/19 at 2:48 pm

I don't see how this is futuristic. It looks pretty similar to the smart TV I have today (except mine isn't curved). In fact the illustration even looks a little clunky and dated already, like its from a few years ago. The 2020s will be FAR beyond this.

What will futuristic TV sets look like?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/07/19 at 2:56 pm

What will futuristic TV sets look like?

I don't know. I'm not Nostradamus. Or Samsung. Cable will pretty much be overtaken by streaming and streaming will be overtaken by whatever replaces streaming. Which will happen faster than people think.

Written By: duenas8 on 09/07/19 at 6:31 pm

I don't know. I'm not Nostradamus. Or Samsung. Cable will pretty much be overtaken by streaming and streaming will be overtaken by whatever replaces streaming. Which will happen faster than people think.

I imagine that ultra fast internet will give the possibility to download an entire library of movies/books/music in seconds in some decades ahead

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/19 at 6:38 pm

I imagine that ultra fast internet will give the possibility to download an entire library of movies/books/music in seconds in some decades ahead

Yeah probably after streaming it will be like going back to digital files only it will be similar to streaming because you can download the file instantly and storage will not be an issue.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/07/19 at 7:45 pm

Yeah probably after streaming it will be like going back to digital files only it will be similar to streaming because you can download the file instantly and storage will not be an issue.

I certainly like the idea of this better than streaming, because it will be back to ownership. Rather than streaming, which is completely out of our control.

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/08/19 at 1:22 pm

I might get cable TV/internet available at my house for the first time ever in about another year.  They are building a network.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/19 at 2:16 pm

I can't wait for that to happen.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/19 at 2:18 pm

Will we be storing stuff on a USB stick? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 09/08/19 at 3:05 pm

Will we be storing stuff on a USB stick? ???

USB storage is dying so no.

Written By: duenas8 on 09/08/19 at 10:52 pm

I mean, instead of downloading or streaming a movie one by one, you could be able to download thousands of movies/books/songs in only seconds and watch the whole catalogue offline. Just a crazy idea though

Written By: Slim95 on 09/09/19 at 12:06 am

I mean, instead of downloading or streaming a movie one by one, you could be able to download thousands of movies/books/songs in only seconds and watch the whole catalogue offline. Just a crazy idea though

In the future that can definitely happen.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/19 at 5:31 am

USB storage is dying so no.

So then what happens to The USB stick?

Written By: Howard on 09/09/19 at 5:32 am

That could be a good idea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/19 at 11:56 am

Cable Television in certain areas is the, sometimes only, way peoples can view television, so it will be always on offer.

BTW, I use a portable drive connected to my television to record films/programs I wish to view.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/19 at 12:01 pm

,,,and you cannot watch live television coverage on subscription services, especially like Netflix.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/10/19 at 12:12 pm

,,,and you cannot watch live television coverage on subscription services, especially like Netflix.

In the future you may be able to

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/19 at 12:14 pm

...and in the UK, a Television Licence will still be required?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/10/19 at 12:17 pm

...and in the UK, a Television Licence will still be required?

Who knows, let's hope not!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/19 at 12:23 pm

Who knows, let's hope not!
It is through the fee from the Television Licence that the BBC gains it's revenue, as the BBC is not allowed (by law, parliament etc) to have advertising.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/10/19 at 12:24 pm

It is through the fee from the Television Licence that the BBC gains it's revenue, as the BBC is not allowed (by law, parliament etc) to have advertising.

So maybe it would be good for them?  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/10/19 at 12:37 pm

But you can on Youtube, which is a streaming (actually "progressive download") service. Still eliminates the need for cable.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/19 at 12:40 pm

But you can on Youtube, which is a streaming (actually "progressive download") service. Still eliminates the need for cable.
Even live 24 hour News coverage on YouTube?

Not the BBC, for the reason baove?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/10/19 at 12:43 pm

You can watch CBC News live on YouTube.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/19 at 12:50 pm

You can watch CBC News live on YouTube.
You can indeed, I just check for any copyright details.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/19 at 2:29 pm

How is that possible?

Written By: Howard on 09/10/19 at 2:31 pm

You can watch free live news coverage on YouTube.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/19 at 2:31 pm

How is that possible?
The keyword is watching live television on Netflix...

Written By: Slim95 on 09/10/19 at 2:42 pm

How is that possible?

It will be possible. New technologies get built and new stuff happens.

Written By: Skittler on 09/12/19 at 7:49 pm

I haven't used cable/satellite TV in years now that Netflix, Philo, and Pluto TV are available. Those three only run me $34 a month and since Pluto TV is free I'm thinking of dropping Philo.

Check for new replies or respond here...