inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who else wants a Y2K era revival?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/08/19 at 10:39 pm

Me! Anyways. I have been interested in Y2K culture lately, the music, the aesthetic, fashion, etc. It seems so fun, it makes me wanna travel back in time. I love how metallic and colorful fashion was in 1997-2001, and I've been seeing celebrities on Instagram wearing Y2K-inspired clothes, even Billie Eilish wears bright green clothes. The music, is what really stood out to me the most about the Y2K era, songs taught you good advice, loving yourself/having confidence thanks to acts like Destiny's Child and TLC, songs about love, being optimistic, etc. I love those songs because not only were the beats great, the message in them was very meaningful to alot of people. Man, how I wish music was like that again. Lastly, I like the aesthetic of Y2K, everything looked chrome/metallic, colorful, and shiny. It looked so futuristic and techy, but I can tell some 2018/19 commercials are using that aesthetic, and some games are using that as well, like the newly released Control for example, that game is very Y2K. But what are your thoughts? Would you want a Y2K revival?

Subject: Re: Who else wants a Y2K era revival?

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/09/19 at 4:57 pm

Me! Anyways. I have been interested in Y2K culture lately, the music, the aesthetic, fashion, etc. It seems so fun, it makes me wanna travel back in time. I love how metallic and colorful fashion was in 1997-2001, and I've been seeing celebrities on Instagram wearing Y2K-inspired clothes, even Billie Eilish wears bright green clothes. The music, is what really stood out to me the most about the Y2K era, songs taught you good advice, loving yourself/having confidence thanks to acts like Destiny's Child and TLC, songs about love, being optimistic, etc. I love those songs because not only were the beats great, the message in them was very meaningful to alot of people. Man, how I wish music was like that again. Lastly, I like the aesthetic of Y2K, everything looked chrome/metallic, colorful, and shiny. It looked so futuristic and techy, but I can tell some 2018/19 commercials are using that aesthetic, and some games are using that as well, like the newly released Control for example, that game is very Y2K. But what are your thoughts? Would you want a Y2K revival?

There was somewhat a Y2K revival in the mid 10's, especially with the new Pokemon craze. Also the style of music and movies were similar. It was a neo teen pop era. Only the mid 10's were much darker and more pessimistic. Also while Latin pop was big during Y2K especially with Ricky Martin, Marc Antony, Enrique Iglesias, etc., the late 10's was when Latin pop became popular again. The Island sound was big in the mid 10's like with Omi, D.R.A.M., Kent Jones, and even Justin Bieber.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/19 at 5:42 pm

Willennium II.  8)

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/09/19 at 6:10 pm

Willennium II.  8)

8) 8) 8)

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/09/19 at 6:10 pm

There was somewhat a Y2K revival in the mid 10's, especially with the new Pokemon craze. Also the style of music and movies were similar. It was a neo teen pop era. Only the mid 10's were much darker and more pessimistic. Also while Latin pop was big during Y2K especially with Ricky Martin, Marc Antony, Enrique Iglesias, etc., the late 10's was when Latin pop became popular again. The Island sound was big in the mid 10's like with Omi, D.R.A.M., Kent Jones, and even Justin Bieber.

Yeah, it's just that I wanted a full-on Y2K revival, just like how the 80s was revived in the 2000s and early 2010s

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/09/19 at 10:02 pm

I miss the Y2K era web.  Simple, concise, low bandwidth, but had everything you really needed.

Written By: exodus08 on 09/09/19 at 10:19 pm

Lived it so no thanks.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/09/19 at 10:26 pm

Can there really be a Y2K revival if the zeitgeist isn't there? The whole point of Y2K was excitement for the new millennium. We are now twenty years into the new millennium.  ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 09/10/19 at 12:27 am

I want it but I also want a new culture too. There is a possibility pop culture and music can get good again. I hated the early 2010s then the pop culture improved so much in 2013 so I believe we can be hopeful. I am not betting on it, but we can be hopeful.

For Y2K, it wouldn't hurt having some throwback in the aesthetics in fashion, music videos, commercials, products, etc. Just don't overdo it. I'm gonna feel so old that Y2K, the era I first clearly remember, will be considered retro. It's just crazy.

Written By: exodus08 on 09/10/19 at 4:22 am

Can there really be a Y2K revival if the zeitgeist isn't there? The whole point of Y2K was excitement for the new millennium. We are now twenty years into the new millennium.  ::)

Can I get an Amen!  ;D

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/10/19 at 4:32 am

Plus, another aspect of Y2K was the whole "Is the world gonna end? Is every computer going to crash at the stroke of midnight? Is the world going to explode?" paranoia. It was even a running joke on David Letterman.

Nobody's asking if computers will think the coming year will be 1920.

If you're asking for a similar culture, that's possible. Disney is rebooting Lizzie McGuire, and O-Town is releasing new music. Not to mention the Invader Zim movie on Netflix.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/19 at 5:26 am

Not me!

Back then I was struggling to find employment!

Written By: Howard on 09/10/19 at 7:17 am

I don't want another Y2K revival.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/10/19 at 9:42 am

I respect your guys' opinion. I get that not everyone wants a Y2K revival, but let's just hope that pop culture will be good again, because pop culture right now isnt good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/19 at 9:44 am

I respect your guys' opinion. I get that not everyone wants a Y2K revival, but let's just hope that pop culture will be good again, because pop culture right now isnt good.
Indeed it needs a complete shake up.

Written By: Si_1997 on 09/12/19 at 3:05 pm

Lived it so no thanks.

Same ! I want a new cultural identity. This era has been all about 20th century revivals. I miss the y2k stuff but it could never be the same. I feel like you had to live that era to understand why :(

Written By: Si_1997 on 09/12/19 at 3:07 pm

I want it but I also want a new culture too. There is a possibility pop culture and music can get good again. I hated the early 2010s then the pop culture improved so much in 2013 so I believe we can be hopeful. I am not betting on it, but we can be hopeful.

For Y2K, it wouldn't hurt having some throwback in the aesthetics in fashion, music videos, commercials, products, etc. Just don't overdo it. I'm gonna feel so old that Y2K, the era I first clearly remember, will be considered retro. It's just crazy.

Omg this is me !!! People saying that y2k era is retro is like what ?? I started elementary school during that time so it’s weird. I want our own cultural identity we need a new one and one that we can remember years from now.

Written By: Skittler on 09/12/19 at 7:40 pm

I miss the Y2K era web.  Simple, concise, low bandwidth, but had everything you really needed.

Me too! Forums were really taking off then before social media came along. Yahoo Messenger/Chat was awesome to use and I even remember making my first free website on Geocities and Tripod.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 09/17/19 at 12:43 am

Ooh I’m starting to see a y2k revival with fashion and certain songs. DJ Khalid has made a few remakes of songs from 1999-2000 as well.

As for seeing a revival, I think it’s possible to capture the fashion and music style of the y2k/early 2000’s era but I feel like the optimism of that time is gone.... Everyone was happy and excited that we were living in a new millennium. Music was bubbly and futuristic. We don’t really have much to look forward to as far as entering a new millennium so that optimism isn’t really there which really made up the y2k era.. I was a little kid but it was quite a time to be alive.

I can understand why you want a revival tho. We all wanna feel that childhood innocence again when life gets tough. I hope all is well :)

Written By: Dj. on 09/17/19 at 11:53 am

no more revivals thanks, tired of seeing Gen Zers destroying a decade they didnt even exist in

Written By: Howard on 09/17/19 at 2:30 pm

no more revivals thanks, tired of seeing Gen Zers destroying a decade they didnt even exist in

I definitely agree about that.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 09/17/19 at 3:53 pm

I have to agree.  I don’t want anymore revivals. I just want a new culture.

Written By: JR04 on 09/20/19 at 5:37 pm

No imo

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/20/19 at 6:36 pm

They kinda tried that in the early 2010s and it failed.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/20/19 at 8:05 pm

Well scooters are back in big time now.... Scooters were pretty hot in Y2K. They are super popular now I see people with scooters everywhere now. 10 years ago these were considered lame.

Check for new replies or respond here...