inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2016 culture: Movies, Television, Games, etc.

Written By: Frodomar449 on 09/09/19 at 4:27 pm

2016 was quite a year. From the election to disappointing movies to horrible disasters and shootings, 2016 was a year that many people hated at the time. Join me as we look back at the year that some are now becoming nostalgic for.

But let's look into the culture of 2016. I will not go in depth on politics, I think someone else can do that better.

Movies:

2016 was a disappointing year for movies. Suicide Squad, Batman Vs. Superman, and Rogue One didn't live up to the hype. Ghostbusters 2016 releases to positive reviews from critics but poor audience reaction. Norm of The North comes in at the beginning of the year to near-universal disdain. Zootopia, however, softens the blow, and Moana gets a lot of love at the end of the year. Deadpool was acclaimed, as well as La La Land. But beyond that, you won't find much.

Games:

2016 was nicer to games than it was to movies, but it was also a mixed bag. Overwatch and Battlefield 1 were well received, but it seems that for every good game, we get a disappointing, clunky mess. No Man's Sky, Mighty No. 9, Infinite Warfare, ReCore, and Street Fighter V are all notable let-downs. Forza Horizon 3 and DOOM 2016 get critical acclaim, and Titanfall 2 lives up to it's predecessor. Uncharted 4 is another game that manages to avoid being mediocre and underwhelming. Pokemon GO is probably the highlight of 2016 gaming, taking the world by storm. Overall, 2016 was okay for gaming, but compared to the rest of the year it wasn't too bad.

Music:

This year was... not good for music. Then again, pretty much every 2010s year has poor quality mainstream music but let's talk about the highlights. Can't Stop The Feeling was obnoxious and generic, and the constant overplay on the radio made me absolutely hate the song with a burning passion. Closer by Chainsmokers was generic garbage. Stitches was mediocre while 7 Years was corporate trash. 24k Magic was eh. Stressed Out and Heathens were absolutely awful. Probably two of the worst 2016 songs. What do I even say about the music? I hate hate hate 2016 music. It's all crap. I can't think of a single good song from this year. And yes I know music has been garbage for the last 5 or 6 years now, but 2016 was especially bad. It's not any better now, but this is about 2016 so....

Animated Shows:

Finally, something good all around in 2016: their animated series. Besides The Loud House, we got Voltron, Trollhunters, and Milo Murphy's Law. Let's go over the good. The Loud House is a fun show. Lincoln is very relatable and all of the sisters have a personality, and none of them seem like stereotypes. Milo Murphy's Law is interesting and creative, and Trollhunters was good as well. Voltron is also highly underrated. Plus cartoons such as Spongebob that are having good episodes help too.

Internet culture and social media

One word: memes. We Are Number One, The Nutshack, The Bee Movie, "I have crippling depression", Triggered, Shrek, Pepe, Roundabout, Corey In The House, among others. 2016 is the peak of meme culture. As for social media, this was the last year that Vine was still a thing. Musical.ly started to rise to popularity while YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat are the dominant social media platforms. Memes are also made on the 2016 election (predictably).

2016 was not a good year, even outside culture. Alt Right and SJW drama, the Zika Virus, the Orlando nightclub shooting, the Dallas shooting, just.... turmoil. And what about the 2016 election? I don't even know what to say. I'm glad that Trump won. Clinton was a douche. The memes on it were funny though.

Now in 2019 however, many people are looking back fondly at a year that almost everyone hated at the time. I personally don't like the year but a surprising number of people do nowadays.

Subject: Re: 2016 culture: Movies, Television, Games, etc.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/09/19 at 4:50 pm

Sadly 2016 was about as good as it got in the mid 10's. Well, actually 2015 was better. Anyhow 2016 was the peak of all things wrong of that era, including all the social justice issues and rising crime rates and mass shootings. For pop culture all I remember was the Pokemon Go fad. They also released Pokemon Sun and Moon for the Nintendo 3DS. I didn't purchase many new games that year, but I bought a Wii U which of course did not compare to the N64. There was some good music though, like "Work"  by Rihanna or the "Don't Mind" song by Kent Jones (both reminded me of the cruise to the Bahamas). For TV I remember watching "The Real O'Niels" which reminded me of "Malcolm in the Middle" in some ways. I'd say my favorite movies were X-Men: Apocalypse, Deadpool, and the new Independence Day, not that there was much to choose from. Captain America: Civil War was good too, and I even enjoyed Batman vs. Superman and Suicide Squad.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/09/19 at 6:17 pm

For me honestly, 2016 was fun despite Trump's election. It's an unpopular opinion, but I liked the EDM surge with Chainsmokers, Zedd, Calvin Harris, etc., which also got implemented to pop music. I didn't really pay attention to games as I mainly still played Roblox before I got into AAA Gaming in late 2017, but Pokemon GO was one hell of a fad. I enjoyed Deadpool, Dr. Strange, Fantastic Beasts, Moana, Jungle Book, and Zootopia, but movies like Arrival were very overrated. Suicide Squad is average imo.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/09/19 at 11:12 pm

2016 was a pretty good year but not the very best.... Middle of the pack when it comes to best years for 2010s pop culture. 2013, 2014, and 2015 beat it. Then comes 2016, in where things slowly started to get worse but it was still decent.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/19 at 6:40 am

True, 2016 was disappointing for movies, but I did enjoy "Hail, Caesar!" the Coen brothers comedy set in postwar Hollywood.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/12/19 at 7:35 am

For me honestly, 2016 was fun despite Trump's election. It's an unpopular opinion, but I liked the EDM surge with Chainsmokers, Zedd, Calvin Harris, etc., which also got implemented to pop music. I didn't really pay attention to games as I mainly still played Roblox before I got into AAA Gaming in late 2017, but Pokemon GO was one hell of a fad. I enjoyed Deadpool, Dr. Strange, Fantastic Beasts, Moana, Jungle Book, and Zootopia, but movies like Arrival were very overrated. Suicide Squad is average imo.

In 2016 what little hope I had for our future was gone when I found out that either Donald Trump OR Hillary Clinton was going to be our next president.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/15/19 at 12:39 am

I guess 2016 in the future will be looked back on as 2006 is looked back on today. Kids in the future will say "2016 was the year everything started to suck". It was quite a transition of both pop culture and politics and everything bad and depressing started happening in that year. I mean some don't see Trump and Brexit as depressing but many people do.

Written By: Frodomar449 on 09/15/19 at 12:45 am

I guess 2016 in the future will be looked back on as 2006 is looked back on today. Kids in the future will say "2016 was the year everything started to suck". It was quite a transition of both pop culture and politics and everything bad and depressing started happening in that year. I mean some don't see Trump and Brexit as depressing but many people do.

I like the culture of 2006. I was a bit young for the culture of that year though as I was only 4...

Written By: Slim95 on 09/15/19 at 12:48 am

I like the culture of 2006. I was a bit young for the culture of that year though as I was only 4...

I know and many people do. It's just for a lot of people 2006 is seen as a year where things started to go downhill and this seems to be the notion universally. One guy on YouTube even made a video saying the same thing. There seems to always be years like that in every decade. I believe in the '90s the year was 1997 when people thought things "started to suck".

Written By: Frodomar449 on 09/15/19 at 12:49 am

I know and many people do. It's just for a lot of people 2006 is seen as a year that is universally agreed upon where things went downhill. One guy on YouTube even made a video saying the same thing.

Who on YouTube?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/15/19 at 12:50 am

Who on YouTube?

ITjTlY5Tii8

Written By: Frodomar449 on 09/15/19 at 12:56 am

ITjTlY5Tii8

Man I hate that guy

Written By: Slim95 on 09/15/19 at 1:51 am

Man I hate that guy

Lol

Written By: mc98 on 09/15/19 at 10:22 am

ITjTlY5Tii8

I looked up his channel and wow he sure must be fun at parties.

Written By: 2012emo on 09/17/19 at 6:21 am

i've never heard anyone say that 2006 was the year everything started to suck. ever. lmao that's such a random year to choose too cause barely anything happened in 2006
i do always hear people say that the world ended in 2012 and everything after sucked though.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/17/19 at 10:47 am

i've never heard anyone say that 2006 was the year everything started to suck. ever. lmao that's such a random year to choose too cause barely anything happened in 2006
i do always hear people say that the world ended in 2012 and everything after sucked though.

There was a shift in 2006 where more modern stuff came in and things started to suck. An example is that guy on the video I shared.

Written By: Frodomar449 on 09/17/19 at 12:04 pm

There was a shift in 2006 where more modern stuff came in and things started to suck. An example is that guy on the video I shared.

Just because 2006 was more modern than 2005? That's just stupid. I always thought 2006 was a good year culturally.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/17/19 at 12:27 pm

Just because 2006 was more modern than 2005? That's just stupid. I always thought 2006 was a good year culturally.

Things started to go downhill that year.

Written By: Frodomar449 on 09/17/19 at 1:55 pm

Things started to go downhill that year.

I don't see how.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/20 at 7:59 am

It was on this date (July 6th) in 2016, when the augmented reality mobile game "Pokémon Go" was released, breaking numerous records in terms of sales and revenue.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/10/20 at 9:43 pm

2020 made us forget about 2016, but I remember it being crazy as well. It was like 2020 without the pandemic, but had a lot of violence like the Orlando nightclub shootings and Dallas police shootings. It was also an election year.

Written By: CarCar on 07/16/20 at 8:06 am

People always cite some year in the late 2000s as when everything started to suck lol since that’s when the culture started to transition into the 2010s.

My best will be to wait 20 years when the 90s/80s are obsolete, forgotten and considered the grandpa decades where most people can’t recall anything of them(unless your super old in the 2030s/40s) and the 2010s get seen as some sort of trendy decade because it’s sorta a mixture between the old and modern

Written By: CarCar on 07/16/20 at 8:07 am

Subjective, anyone could say any year was a good year if you word it good enough

Written By: CarCar on 07/16/20 at 8:08 am

2020 made us forget about 2016, but I remember it being crazy as well. It was like 2020 without the pandemic, but had a lot of violence like the Orlando nightclub shootings and Dallas police shootings. It was also an election year.

Sometimes I wonder if those shooting are going to be remembered in the long run of things are just another media spectacle.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/16/20 at 10:43 am

I thought 2016 was a solid year. Not the best but not the worst either.

Check for new replies or respond here...