inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hogan’s Heroes Reboot????

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/19/19 at 7:23 pm

This cannot be real.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/hogans-heroes-series-sequel-reboot-village-roadshow-entertainment-group-al-ruddy-rough-house-pictures-danny-mcbride-david-gordon-green-and-jody-hil-1202736850/

Subject: Re: Hogan’s Heroes Reboot????

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/20/19 at 4:41 am

Oh please, they may as well just reboot "I Love Lucy" and "The Three Stooges" while they're at it as well. I mean, why not? Pointless reboots are all the rage...

Written By: Howard on 09/20/19 at 7:29 am

Oh please, they may as well just reboot "I Love Lucy" and "The Three Stooges" while they're at it as well. I mean, why not? Pointless reboots are all the rage...

They really have to stop rebooting this and sequel that, it's getting quite annoying now, Let the past stay in the past already!  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/19 at 7:31 am

The only original cast member they could bring back would be Robert Clary and he’s 93 years old.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/20/19 at 11:43 am

Absolutely awful idea. "Hogan's Heroes" was a terrible show to begin with. 8-P And I'm not even sure how the "Hogan's Heroes" premise would work in today's  politically correct, walking-on-eggshells culture. If ever there was a show that was NOT politically correct it was that one.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/19 at 3:57 pm

Absolutely awful idea. "Hogan's Heroes" was a terrible show to begin with. 8-P And I'm not even sure how the "Hogan's Heroes" premise would work in today's  politically correct, walking-on-eggshells culture. If ever there was a show that was NOT politically correct it was that one.

So which show was politically correct?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/20/19 at 4:32 pm

So which show was politically correct?

I'll go out on a limb to say, most likely NONE of them (shows from the late 60's/early 70's).  At that time, shows were more likely to put tough stuff out front and center, highlighting how things were, bad or good, as there was still some tumult found in society at large; being politically correct (which was not a common phrase at that time BTW) wasn't realistic, nor (at that time) desirable.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/20/19 at 5:05 pm

I'll go out on a limb to say, most likely NONE of them (shows from the late 60's/early 70's).  At that time, shows were more likely to put tough stuff out front and center, highlighting how things were, bad or good, as there was still some tumult found in society at large; being politically correct (which was not a common phrase at that time BTW) wasn't realistic, nor (at that time) desirable.

I think we're talking about two different things here. I think you're talking about excellent shows like "All In The Family" that were purposely "politically incorrect" as social satire to make a statement. Such shows were brilliantly done but would not fly in today's climate because suddenly people are snowflakes and are offended at any whiff of ethnic slurs or some such, EVEN IF THEY ARE INTENDED FOR THE BETTER GOOD as satire to point out the ills of society. I don't know when we got this babyish way that things are now.

Then there were just plain fun shows like "Bewitched" which was a great show, but it showed lots of smoking and drinking at work and maybe a sexist remark or two, and other things now considered politically incorrect, simply because that's the way people were at the time and the show was therefore doing nothing considered out of the ordinary at the time.

"Hogan's Heroes" on the other hand, was just pain bad. Not a great idea trying to make a harmless fun situation comedy abut a prisoner of war camp. It certainly wasn't something like the brilliant M*A*S*H which was much higher art.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/19 at 6:40 pm

"Hogan's Heroes" on the other hand, was just pain bad.

How could it have been bad? It was on for 5 seasons and ruled the ratings for a couple of years.  It was a great premise... the hijinx of POW’s who somehow always got the better of their Jerry captors.

Thanks to HH, we had Richard Dawson on Family Feud, and Robert Clary got to move on to a thriving career on soap operas. Granted, things did not work out so well after HH for Robert Crane, but he was into some pretty kinky stuff and it caught up with him.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/23/19 at 12:44 am

They really have to stop rebooting this and sequel that, it's getting quite annoying now, Let the past stay in the past already!  ::)

Yesss!

Oh, and I always get the Hogan's Heros and the Hogan family mixed up hahaha lol.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/19 at 5:37 am

Yesss!

Oh, and I always get the Hogan's Heros and the Hogan family mixed up hahaha lol.

I don't think they'll reboot Hogan's Family.

Check for new replies or respond here...