inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Someone's found out what's wrong with 2010s music.

Written By: wixness on 09/21/19 at 4:22 pm

I am almost inclined to agree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Vn9V-tRCo

The only way I disagree is that I think it's because the melodies of music I hate have been badly chosen, almost deliberately. What do you people think?

Subject: Re: Someone's found out what's wrong with 2010s music.

Written By: GameXcaper on 09/21/19 at 4:34 pm

I am almost inclined to agree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Vn9V-tRCo

The only way I disagree is that I think it's because the melodies of music I hate have been badly chosen, almost deliberately. What do you people think?

This. You'll notice that most songs these days lack a melody and if they do have one then it isn't catchy. This is one of the most fundamental parts of a song and they choose to ignore this. I noticed this a few years ago, but it became more and more apparent as the decade progressed. They focus way too much on the beat, rhythm and basic/simple sounds like drums. Not enough melodic instruments like guitars, or synthesizers, and way too much focus to drums or vocals. If you were to listen to the instrumental version of these songs they would sound dry and barren.

Written By: wixness on 09/21/19 at 5:01 pm

This. You'll notice that most songs these days lack a melody and if they do have one then it isn't catchy. This is one of the most fundamental parts of a song and they choose to ignore this. I noticed this a few years ago, but it became more and more apparent as the decade progressed. They focus way too much on the beat, rhythm and basic/simple sounds like drums. Not enough melodic instruments like guitars, or synthesizers, and way too much focus to drums or vocals. If you were to listen to the instrumental version of these songs they would sound dry and barren.

I don't like what's considered "good" this decade. As I've mentioned before, I think they are choosing a deliberately bad selection of notes. If not that, then I guess they are limiting themselves to what they (or companies) believe is popular. The hooks I guess and commercialization of music is the problem here.

Written By: Dj. on 09/21/19 at 5:17 pm

way better then the garbage that was around in the 2000s though

Written By: JR04 on 09/21/19 at 6:34 pm

Soooo no melody = 2010s music bad?

Written By: exodus08 on 09/21/19 at 6:44 pm

way better then the garbage that was around in the 2000s though

Sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree. The 2000s had much better music.

Written By: exodus08 on 09/21/19 at 6:47 pm

A good melodie, good lyrics, good harmony make a good song.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/21/19 at 10:23 pm

Like to hear melody, lyrics, harmony?  Here's an "album cut" from 1972...

America - Till The Sun Comes Up Again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3gYYLICkKI

There's plenty more where that came from...  :)

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/22/19 at 10:24 am

There were plenty of good, melodic songs this decade.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/19 at 1:44 pm

And that's what's missing in today's music.

Written By: wixness on 09/22/19 at 5:00 pm

Soooo no melody = 2010s music bad?

According to the video, it talks about how melody is missing from modern music. I am somewhat inclined to disagree, because I think there are some songs that lack melody that I do like too. I think what's wrong with 2010s music specifically is the choice of melodies that have been used, more like the harmony or whatever I think.

If you take music by Sam Smith and/or Adele, whose songs have a comparatively varied melody compared to that of a lot of other 2010s music, I don't really like them because I think the choice of notes put together and even the choice of notes they've used sound awful to me.

Church music and classical music has varied melodies, but to me, possibly for reasons not strictly related to the music, they don't seem appealing to me..

I can enjoy a song without lyrics or in a language I don't even understand, and it's annoying to me that a song's worth comes from it, especially the content of the lyrics.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/23/19 at 7:50 pm

Oh those kids these days and their damn electronic music! It doesn't have melody, like back in my day!

Written By: violet_shy on 09/23/19 at 8:25 pm

I try to add melodies to all of my songs! I don't care if it's out of style to do so. Music sounds best with a good melody.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/19 at 7:28 am

Oh those kids these days and their damn electronic music! It doesn't have melody, like back in my day!

That's why I despise stupid auto tune and their dumb electronic music!  ::)

Written By: JR04 on 10/02/19 at 12:37 pm

According to the video, it talks about how melody is missing from modern music. I am somewhat inclined to disagree, because I think there are some songs that lack melody that I do like too. I think what's wrong with 2010s music specifically is the choice of melodies that have been used, more like the harmony or whatever I think.

If you take music by Sam Smith and/or Adele, whose songs have a comparatively varied melody compared to that of a lot of other 2010s music, I don't really like them because I think the choice of notes put together and even the choice of notes they've used sound awful to me.

Church music and classical music has varied melodies, but to me, possibly for reasons not strictly related to the music, they don't seem appealing to me..
I can enjoy a song without lyrics or in a language I don't even understand, and it's annoying to me that a song's worth comes from it, especially the content of the lyrics.

Alright. I disagree though.

Written By: Dj. on 10/02/19 at 12:53 pm

That's why I despise stupid auto tune and their dumb electronic music!  ::)

electronic music is one of the things that has made the 2010s great

Written By: Howard on 10/02/19 at 2:39 pm

I prefer the old school sound than today's music.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/03/19 at 5:50 am

Alright. I disagree though.

Poster #1: I disagree and here are my thoughts on why, including some specific examples.

Poster #2: No you’re wrong.

Brilliant.

Written By: wixness on 10/04/19 at 12:53 pm

I prefer the old school sound than today's music.

I don't mind electronic music by itself  - in fact, one of the things I like about it is that it seems less elitist - you don't have to spend hours, days or even years to be able to grasp it to create music. My gripe with it is, however, the choice of melody and sometimes just how the song sounds itself even with a varied melody. I could say it's from a lack of knowledge of music theory or laziness (a lot of songs I hear that suck in my opinion are in C Major, but not all of those songs I hate are in this key). There are some songs too I hate which use more traditional instruments, even ones written today.

Electronic music also doesn't appear to appeal to me in the same way as rock music does. It isn't necessarily as subversive in the same manner in terms of how it sounds and with its subculture, even though electronic music seems to have a diverse subculture attached to it compared to rock music from what I can see.

Check for new replies or respond here...