inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does the late 2010s have a dark vibe?

Written By: goodbants on 09/22/19 at 9:16 pm

I’d say the vibe is super dark in terms of pop culture and everything in general. Suicide jokes are the norm and the music is somber and slow. Moody shows like 13 Reasons Why and Riverdale dominate. I’m not complaining. I’m a darker person in general and I prefer it over the annoying club music earlier in the decade. I like to pump up the bass and jam to an R&B song with a slow beat. Also I know she’s everywhere and hated cause she’s so popular but I genuinely like Billie Eilish.

What do you think? Sign of the times, maybe?? Is the late 2010s the most pessimistic we’ve been in a long time? Perhaps I’m living in my own little bubble of pessimism and darkness on the internet.

Subject: Re: Does the late 2010s have a dark vibe?

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/22/19 at 10:36 pm

It definitely has an edgier vibe compared to the rest of the decade. That's my only observation. I'm really becoming conscious of the fact that pop culture is no longer for me as someone who is neither in high school nor college. A new app called TikTok has become all the rage and it seems to be driving pop culture, and since mainly teenagers use that app I've just felt very out of the loop lately.  ::)

Written By: goodbants on 09/22/19 at 10:49 pm

It definitely has an edgier vibe compared to the rest of the decade. That's my only observation. I'm really becoming conscious of the fact that pop culture is no longer for me as someone who is neither in high school nor college. A new app called TikTok has become all the rage and it seems to be driving pop culture, and since mainly teenagers use that app I've just felt very out of the loop lately.  ::)

It’s weird. I feel out of the loop to in a way. I’m 20 but I like to study it from a sociological standpoint. I know that probably makes me sound like a major nerd but I just find it fascinating. I’m always observing people and society n stuff.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/24/19 at 1:31 am

2017 was half dark half bright with diverse music genres splattered everywhere in the billboard hot 100 chart, until mumble rap/emo rap became dominant around late 2017, and emo pop coming in in late 2018 with Billie.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/24/19 at 7:44 am

Yea today's pop culture is strictly gen z. It's similar to what the early 00s pop culture was for millennials.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/24/19 at 10:56 am

Oh, definitely.  The vibe 2013 to now has been dark imo but the late 2010s is cemented bleak. There's no optimism at all right now.  Not even all the Trump supporters who's happiness seems to derive from pissing off the libs seem all that happy. It's like no one is truly getting what they want. There's this strong feeling of dissatisfaction in the air.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/24/19 at 3:38 pm

Yes but not in a good way. Even emos were cooler than these tight-pant wearing rappers.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/24/19 at 5:42 pm

Man, I miss the optimism of pre-2016.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/25/19 at 5:00 am

Oh, definitely.  The vibe 2013 to now has been dark imo but the late 2010s is cemented bleak. There's no optimism at all right now.  Not even all the Trump supporters who's happiness seems to derive from pissing off the libs seem all that happy. It's like no one is truly getting what they want. There's this strong feeling of dissatisfaction in the air.

Trump supporters are angry because of who is in Congress, like Pelosi, AOC, Omar, etc. They are also angry because all the liberals didn't move to Canada like they said they would.

Check for new replies or respond here...