inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The term 'cancelled' and how we feel about consuming media from 'fallen' celebs

Written By: Criz on 09/25/19 at 2:56 pm

Hi all - I've recently become more and more aware of the whole 'cancelling' celebrity culture. It seems to generate a lot of buzz on social media and if anyone does anything wrong, then they get this term branded upon them and find it hard to recover from.

But even more so - lots of people who were once revered are now controversial because of a variety of things; whether that be sexual misconduct allegations, racist/misogynistic/homophobic remarks or even because of their political beliefs.

Are you a person who would stop watching their TV show or stop listening to their music - or can you separate the artist from the media?

Subject: Re: The term 'cancelled' and how we feel about consuming media from 'fallen' celebs

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/25/19 at 5:42 pm

Well when I read that the “Touched by an Angel” chick, Roma Downey, was fooling around with a married man whose wife had MS, that was a real buzzkill and I no longer watched TBAA.

Subject: Re: The term 'cancelled' and how we feel about consuming media from 'fallen' celebs

Written By: Howard on 09/26/19 at 5:36 am

Hi all - I've recently become more and more aware of the whole 'cancelling' celebrity culture. It seems to generate a lot of buzz on social media and if anyone does anything wrong, then they get this term branded upon them and find it hard to recover from.

But even more so - lots of people who were once revered are now controversial because of a variety of things; whether that be sexual misconduct allegations, racist/misogynistic/homophobic remarks or even because of their political beliefs.

Are you a person who would stop watching their TV show or stop listening to their music - or can you separate the artist from the media?

I will continue to watch their TV or listen to their music, doesn't mean I'm going to stop doing both.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/19 at 6:56 am

In the UK, Big Brother was cancelled after Channel 5's announcement to say they were "disappointed not to reach an agreement with Channel 5" over the future of the show. With various programs linked to deaths of contestants off screen after they appearances television celebrity culture is being very careful now.

Written By: Criz on 09/29/19 at 1:49 pm

Just read this which is really interesting. Such a great show and very happy it hasn't been a victim to cancel culture.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/09/26/its-record-seasons-its-always-sunny-philadelphia-has-dodged-cancel-culture-controversy-emmys/

Check for new replies or respond here...