inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2000s was more about technological change, 2010s was more about societal change

Written By: goodbants on 09/25/19 at 7:53 pm

Does this seem accurate? I feel like tech hasn’t changed as much from 2010-2019. I mean, we have the iPhone but it’s basically the same model, just more advanced than it was at the beginning of the decade. But 2000-2009 was huge for tech changes, starting out with Nokia phones and landlines and ending with smartphones and HD television.

But I feel like society has been flipped on the side of its head from 2010-2019. Not only are gay rights widely accepted, but so is the notion of gender being a spectrum and being trans. I feel like our mindsets are radically different from the start of the decade. Lots of humor today would be unrecognizable in 2010. There’s just so many more things to think about.

What do you think?

Subject: Re: 2000s was more about technological change, 2010s was more about societal change

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/19 at 1:32 am

Technology changes started before 2000, I remember seeing mobile phones on a regular matter in 1994, the Internet has been around for a very long time, and the invention of the World Wide Web in 1989 further things forward.

Subject: Re: 2000s was more about technological change, 2010s was more about societal change

Written By: rapplepop on 09/26/19 at 4:54 am

Technology changes started before 2000, I remember seeing mobile phones on a regular matter in 1994, the Internet has been around for a very long time, and the invention of the World Wide Web in 1989 further things forward.

Yes the digital revolution really started in the 1980s.

OP, I have to disagree about technological change slowing down though, because artificial intelligence, the field I study, has exploded since 2013 and is going to become far more relevant to the average person in the 2020s.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/28/19 at 10:24 pm

Both decades were big for both technological change and societal change but the 2000s beat the 2010s in both categories.

Written By: Si_1997 on 09/28/19 at 11:59 pm

I feel like the mid 90’s started the Internet and cellphone culture we live in today. The 2000’s progressed internet/cell phone technology but we weren’t as dependent on it as much as we are now because access to internet was still limited to a small degree where as now we have internet in the palm of our hand. Being born in 1997 I find myself being on that weird millennial transition into the next generation because I feel like people born in the 20th century are quite frankly the last to witness such a huge change. I mean when I was in preschool and early elementary school we used huge desktops, slow speed dial up internet, not everyone owned a cellphone in the early 2000’s and if they did they were phones not sources of entertainment, etc. where as not even a decade later into my middle school years the iPhone released and by the time I was in high school going on the internet on your phone was nearly common.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/29/19 at 12:47 am

I feel like the mid 90’s started the Internet and cellphone culture we live in today. The 2000’s progressed internet/cell phone technology but we weren’t as dependent on it as much as we are now because access to internet was still limited to a small degree where as now we have internet in the palm of our hand. Being born in 1997 I find myself being on that weird millennial transition into the next generation because I feel like people born in the 20th century are quite frankly the last to witness such a huge change. I mean when I was in preschool and early elementary school we used huge desktops, slow speed dial up internet, not everyone owned a cellphone in the early 2000’s and if they did they were phones not sources of entertainment, etc. where as not even a decade later into my middle school years the iPhone released and by the time I was in high school going on the internet on your phone was nearly common.

I believe we are the last to witness big change too. I mean I think there will still be changes of course but nothing as big as what the 1990s and 2000s brought. Or at least my brain cannot comprehend it right now. In general it feels like the growth of tech slowed down considerably but the rise in fascism around the world (as a culture, not literal fascism) may play a factor in that.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/19 at 2:06 pm

Then what will The 2020's be about?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/19 at 2:10 pm

Then what will The 2020's be about?
It will be about ten years long...  ;D

Written By: 2012emo on 10/01/19 at 7:41 pm

There was barely any "societal change" this decade. Gay acceptance is not something new and people are somehow even more racist now than they were in the 2000s (remember when literal nazis marched on the streets two years ago?).

Written By: duenas8 on 10/02/19 at 4:59 pm

There was barely any "societal change" this decade. Gay acceptance is not something new and people are somehow even more racist now than they were in the 2000s (remember when literal nazis marched on the streets two years ago?).

Wrong as hell, since 2011 society has changed a lot. Gay acceptance almost didn’t exist in the 00s as well as SJW and today’s alt rights are a completely new movement from 00s neo nazis.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/02/19 at 5:00 pm

Wrong as hell, since 2011 society has changed a lot. Gay acceptance almost didn’t exist in the 00s as well as SJW and today’s alt rights are a completely new movement from 00s neo nazis.

I disagree. Maybe in America. Here in Canada gay marriage has been legal since 2005.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/03/20 at 4:42 pm

Yeah that's actually very accurate. As I said before, Shane Dawson's old videos that he's now getting backlash from are a good example of this. Back in 2009/2010, people were more politically incorrect and joking in blackface didn't receive as much backlash then as it would now.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/04/20 at 1:16 pm

I mostly agree, but the 2000s also had major societal changes. 9/11, War on Terror, and being vigilant of terrorism were societal characteristics of the 2000s.

In the 2010s, social media became a major player in facilitating the popularity of protest movements around the world such as Occupy movement, Arab Spring, BLM, March for our Lives, etc.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/20 at 2:10 pm

I mostly agree, but the 2000s also had major societal changes. 9/11, War on Terror, and being vigilant of terrorism were societal characteristics of the 2000s.

In the 2010s, social media became a major player in facilitating the popularity of protest movements around the world such as Occupy movement, Arab Spring, BLM, March for our Lives, etc.

So what do you think The 2020's will be about?

Written By: goodbants on 07/04/20 at 2:36 pm

So what do you think The 2020's will be about?

Hmmm.. my wild guess for the 2020s is that it will start off really rocky and be very difficult for the first half, with a lot of unrest much like the late 2010s. Donald Trump won’t get re-elected (I really hope) but the divide will still be there. Joe Biden will hopefully try to calm things down and try to unite the country, if that’s even possible at this point. We will eventually figure out how to coexist in this information-dense, crazy world. A lot of things will be realized, and a lot of things will become clear that aren’t clear now. We will better figure out how to mediate information and combat fake news.

A lot of former institutions will continue to fall apart, and in its place there will be something totally new. Aspects of society may be completely unrecognizable by 2030. As for what aspects, I’m not sure. But it feels like there will be lots of destruction, followed by a rebirth. Hopefully we will get a handle on the mental health epidemic and more money will go into education and healthcare. The environment will continue to collapse. Climate change refugees will start migrating to other places which will cause conflict. No one is gonna be able to live in places like Arizona anymore. It’ll be too hot. We will desperately be looking for new energy resources and ways to handle the environmental collapse. I think it’ll start off dreary, but by the end of the decade, we will have gotten over the storm and there will be less corruption and more hope, despite the environmental destruction. It’ll just be the world we live in and we’ll have to learn how to adapt. People will lead harder lives and won’t take as many things for granted.

As for pop culture, I really don’t know. I feel like as of 2020, music is starting to sound a lot more funky sounding with Dua Lipa, The Weekend, and a lot of indie artists I listen to on spotify. Maybe the early 2020s will continue with that. Mumble rap has gotta wear out sometime soon, or evolve into something else. Music needs more melody, which it is sorely lacking. Mid 2000s nostalgia is gonna take off (which I’m highkey excited for!). 2000s emo and flip phones will be highly romanticized. Maybe the long, floppy Justin-Bieber haircut will come back in style.

However, this is all assuming that Trump won’t get re-elected. If he does, then I frankly don’t even want to try to imagine what the future will be like. It will be worse than we can even imagine.

Written By: CarCar on 07/05/20 at 9:44 pm

Hmmm.. my wild guess for the 2020s is that it will start off really rocky and be very difficult for the first half, with a lot of unrest much like the late 2010s. Donald Trump won’t get re-elected (I really hope) but the divide will still be there. Joe Biden will hopefully try to calm things down and try to unite the country, if that’s even possible at this point. We will eventually figure out how to coexist in this information-dense, crazy world. A lot of things will be realized, and a lot of things will become clear that aren’t clear now. We will better figure out how to mediate information and combat fake news.

A lot of former institutions will continue to fall apart, and in its place there will be something totally new. Aspects of society may be completely unrecognizable by 2030. As for what aspects, I’m not sure. But it feels like there will be lots of destruction, followed by a rebirth. Hopefully we will get a handle on the mental health epidemic and more money will go into education and healthcare. The environment will continue to collapse. Climate change refugees will start migrating to other places which will cause conflict. No one is gonna be able to live in places like Arizona anymore. It’ll be too hot. We will desperately be looking for new energy resources and ways to handle the environmental collapse. I think it’ll start off dreary, but by the end of the decade, we will have gotten over the storm and there will be less corruption and more hope, despite the environmental destruction. It’ll just be the world we live in and we’ll have to learn how to adapt. People will lead harder lives and won’t take as many things for granted.

As for pop culture, I really don’t know. I feel like as of 2020, music is starting to sound a lot more funky sounding with Dua Lipa, The Weekend, and a lot of indie artists I listen to on spotify. Maybe the early 2020s will continue with that. Mumble rap has gotta wear out sometime soon, or evolve into something else. Music needs more melody, which it is sorely lacking. Mid 2000s nostalgia is gonna take off (which I’m highkey excited for!). 2000s emo and flip phones will be highly romanticized. Maybe the long, floppy Justin-Bieber haircut will come back in style.

However, this is all assuming that Trump won’t get re-elected. If he does, then I frankly don’t even want to try to imagine what the future will be like. It will be worse than we can even imagine.

I can see that happening, the new 15 years ago today is 2005. Crunk rap is really starting to look outdated. It actually makes the 2000s identity visible now since it sounds so different from today’s modern rap. I also predict this is the decade the late 2000s/Early 2010s will start looking outdated in 2025-2029 since kids born in that era will be teenagers

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/09/20 at 12:47 am

You tried. I wonder, is ANYBODY going to listen later on? Judging from my thoughts about the human species as a whole, I'd have to guess the answer is a big ***king no way.

Check for new replies or respond here...