inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did Fascism set us Back Technologically?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/07/19 at 1:43 am

This was on my mind lately. Do you think the increase in fascism around the world this decade played a role in the stagnation of progress in technology? For example, back in 2013 Amazon said they would have their Amazon drones ready by 2018. That never happened. Microsoft thought the year 2020 (which is only a couple months away) would look like this:

ozLaklIFWUI

And that video was made in 2009.

So do you think the increase of fascism around the world and Trump culture could play a role why we got set back technologically and there was little innovation and progress? The whole idea of slowing everything down could play a role? I think the paranoia around immigration around the world in several different governments around the world and increase in fascism and fascist ideals all around the world could be to blame. Could this be why this year isn't as futuristic and technological as it could have been?

Subject: Re: Did Fascism set us Back Technologically?

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/07/19 at 11:02 am

I think corporate showcasing videos are probably not the right place to get a realistic vision of the future.

Written By: 2001 on 10/08/19 at 6:21 pm

I think corporate showcasing videos are probably not the right place to get a realistic vision of the future.

The funny thing is most the technology in there actually exists (and it's still not 2020!), it's just so gimmicky that no one wants it. Now we know where Microsoft got their awful Microsoft Surface Table idea from ;D

In 2009 we were so obsessed with touch screens and smart devices, it's actually kind of cool how we didn't go all in on making everything a touchscreen. Instead we got an AI/machine learning and automation boom. I support it!

Also I don't think fascism or authoritarianism has set us back technologically. It might have got us further than we would have had actually. Thank you China for your police state and facial recognition technology and thank you Facebook/Cambridge Analytica/Russia for your creepy targeted ads ???

But America's anti-immigration and anti-science stances could harm science and technology in the future. Already a lot of Chinese students are being accused of being spies and being barred from space and Physics conferences. The government there muzzles a lot of EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) scientists and refuses to publish reports; in particular they are denied from ever mentioning the words "climate change". But these developments are too recent to have had a large cumulative impact in 2019.

Written By: Dundee on 10/14/19 at 4:57 am

Aka "making an observation and tying it to a highly likely unrelated cause for a completely arbitrary reason and misinterpreting a term along the way" the thread.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/14/19 at 1:26 pm

Aka "making an observation and tying it to a highly likely unrelated cause for a completely arbitrary reason and misinterpreting a term along the way" the thread.

Your negative attitude on so many posts are getting old. I'm not the only one who thinks this. I read in an article and the author thinks that too.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/15/19 at 9:42 am

Your negative attitude on so many posts are getting old.

Oh the delicious irony.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/15/19 at 12:23 pm

Oh the delicious irony.

This website is a pop culture forum that is an outlet for people to bi**h and whine about it all they want. Deal with it. I am not negative about other people's comments, I am negative about pop culture, and I have every right to be. It's called freedom of speech.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/15/19 at 5:05 pm

This website is a pop culture forum that is an outlet for people to bi**h and whine about it all they want. Deal with it. I am not negative about other people's comments, I am negative about pop culture, and I have every right to be. It's called freedom of speech.

A forum is meant for discussing, not just complaining. And just as you have freedom to say what you want, I have complete freedom to lambast you for using it in such a negative and low effort way. ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 10/15/19 at 5:06 pm

A forum is meant for discussing, not just complaining. And just as you have freedom to say what you want, I have complete freedom to lambast you for using it in such a negative and low effort way. ;D

That's fine! But I won't stop complaining about sh***y culture!

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/15/19 at 5:12 pm

And I won’t stop pointing out that your constant, incessant whining is degrading the overall quality of discussion on this board. You don’t mind, I’m sure.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/15/19 at 5:24 pm

And I won’t stop pointing out that your constant, incessant whining is degrading the overall quality of discussion on this board. You don’t mind, I’m sure.

I don't, but just know it is not against the rules to complain on here.  :) and this is the perfect website for venting about horrible pop culture and wanting change. And so, I will continue to do so proudly.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/17/19 at 7:00 am

I don't, but just know it is not against the rules to complain on here.  :) and this is the perfect website for venting about horrible pop culture and wanting change. And so, I will continue to do so proudly.

Boy, really one to need to have the last word, aren’t we?

Written By: Dundee on 10/18/19 at 7:17 am

Loosebolt killin’ it on here.

Also if you have the right to criticize pop culture for being bad ad nauseum, then I have the perfect right to criticize a thread’s idea and its very questionable way of trying to connect the dots.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/19 at 1:06 pm

This thread is perfectly acceptable and legitimate.

Check for new replies or respond here...