inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So Justin Trudeau just got re-elected...

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/23/19 at 12:11 am

Wow. Look at how close the fight was, with Andrew Scheer at its tail. Because of this, there will be more Carbon Taxes in Canada, and no pipeline. What do you guys think of Justin Trudeau? Is he a good prime minister to you? Do you think Scheer would've been better?

Subject: Re: So Justin Trudeau just got re-elected...

Written By: Slim95 on 10/26/19 at 1:27 am

In the end of the day it wasn't very close as he won a strong minority. Though here in the west everyone voted conservative. All I can say is I'm very apathetic and I don't really care. I think all politicians are the same more or less. I don't think Scheer would have been that much better. Most minority governments last only 2 years so we may see another election in 2 years. Then again, the minority is strong, and the liberals have a lot of support from the other parties on many issues. So maybe he will be in for the full 4 years? Unless he really, really messes up.

I remember back in 2015 I specifically voted for him on the issue of electoral reform. Once he broke that promise, I knew I would never vote for him ever again.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/26/19 at 9:43 pm

In the end of the day it wasn't very close as he won a strong minority. Though here in the west everyone voted conservative. All I can say is I'm very apathetic and I don't really care. I think all politicians are the same more or less. I don't think Scheer would have been that much better. Most minority governments last only 2 years so we may see another election in 2 years. Then again, the minority is strong, and the liberals have a lot of support from the other parties on many issues. So maybe he will be in for the full 4 years? Unless he really, really messes up.

I remember back in 2015 I specifically voted for him on the issue of electoral reform. Once he broke that promise, I knew I would never vote for him ever again.

I agree, Andrew Scheer would've been a great Prime Minister! Trudeau has been overtaxing us and making the country worse. Back in 2015, I thought he was gonna be a good PM too, but no. Why would anyone vote for him in the first place????

Written By: Slim95 on 10/26/19 at 10:05 pm

I agree, Andrew Scheer would've been a great Prime Minister! Trudeau has been overtaxing us and making the country worse. Back in 2015, I thought he was gonna be a good PM too, but no. Why would anyone vote for him in the first place????

You must be living in the prairies so it makes sense you believe that way.

Written By: 2001 on 10/27/19 at 8:08 am

Shouldn't this be in the politics section?

I'm not sure what taxes you've been paying. My taxes have gone down under Trudeau, there was a good middle-income tax cut I believe in 2017. I've also earned money off the carbon tax. Each province has its own scheme. My guess is you live in Alberta or Manitoba if carbon tax is hurting your bottom line. Those carbon taxes were implemented by the NDP, not the Liberals. In Ontario we're using the Liberal scheme, everyone received a rebate of about $250 in 2018 before the carbon tax even came into effect, which is great money.  Overall, since my carbon footprint isn't that big, I'm coming out waaay ahead. I look forward to bigger carbon rebates in 2020 and 2021.

I don't get the "no pipelines" bit. Keystone XL has been approved and Trans-Mountain is also being built. It's unfortunate Energy East and Western Gateway have been cancelled but that is still more pipelines than Harper.

I voted Liberal for the strong economy, tax cuts, infrastructure spending and social progressive legislation. The free trade deals with Europe and Japan are also a huge plus in my opinion even if it doesn't affect me direvtly, but it's good for Ontario's manufacturing sector. It's been a good 4 years in my opinion, and the country is better off than in 2015 for it. :)

I wanted a Liberal majority, but a Liberal minority will do. My concern is the NDP/Greens will curtail a lot of the tax cuts, free trade deals and pipelines Liberals have been bringing in. The NDP are strongly against the TPP and the Trans-Mountain pipeline which is ridiculous to me.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/27/19 at 10:53 am

Shouldn't this be in the politics section?

I'm not sure what taxes you've been paying. My taxes have gone down under Trudeau, there was a good middle-income tax cut I believe in 2017. I've also earned money off the carbon tax. Each province has its own scheme. My guess is you live in Alberta or Manitoba if carbon tax is hurting your bottom line. Those carbon taxes were implemented by the NDP, not the Liberals. In Ontario we're using the Liberal scheme, everyone received a rebate of about $250 in 2018 before the carbon tax even came into effect, which is great money.  Overall, since my carbon footprint isn't that big, I'm coming out waaay ahead. I look forward to bigger carbon rebates in 2020 and 2021.

I don't get the "no pipelines" bit. Keystone XL has been approved and Trans-Mountain is also being built. It's unfortunate Energy East and Western Gateway have been cancelled but that is still more pipelines than Harper.

I voted Liberal for the strong economy, tax cuts, infrastructure spending and social progressive legislation. The free trade deals with Europe and Japan are also a huge plus in my opinion even if it doesn't affect me direvtly, but it's good for Ontario's manufacturing sector. It's been a good 4 years in my opinion, and the country is better off than in 2015 for it. :)

I wanted a Liberal majority, but a Liberal minority will do. My concern is the NDP/Greens will curtail a lot of the tax cuts, free trade deals and pipelines Liberals have been bringing in. The NDP are strongly against the TPP and the Trans-Mountain pipeline which is ridiculous to me.

I understand, it's just for us, and for me living in Saskatchewan, it's just a hard time going through over taxation, but you're lucky

Written By: Slim95 on 10/27/19 at 12:15 pm

My concern is the NDP/Greens will curtail a lot of the tax cuts, free trade deals and pipelines Liberals have been bringing in. The NDP are strongly against the TPP and the Trans-Mountain pipeline which is ridiculous to me.

I don't think they will because the conservatives agree with the liberals on those issues and NDP and Greens don't have much power at all in parliament compared to those two. Being in the middle is a blessing for the liberals. They can get support by any of the parties on an issue-to-issus basis. I see no reason why they can't do the full 4 years in office.

Written By: 2001 on 11/13/19 at 7:20 pm

I don't think they will because the conservatives agree with the liberals on those issues and NDP and Greens don't have much power at all in parliament compared to those two. Being in the middle is a blessing for the liberals. They can get support by any of the parties on an issue-to-issus basis. I see no reason why they can't do the full 4 years in office.

I read speculation that the Liberals want an election before 2022 because they still want to campaign with Doug Ford in office in Ontario. ;D

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/15/19 at 6:13 am

Wow. Look at how close the fight was, with Andrew Scheer at its tail. Because of this, there will be more Carbon Taxes in Canada, and no pipeline. What do you guys think of Justin Trudeau? Is he a good prime minister to you? Do you think Scheer would've been better?

Oh no, he’s making the world a healthier, safer place to live. Won’t someone think of the children?

Written By: Slim95 on 11/15/19 at 2:07 pm

Oh no, he’s making the world a healthier, safer place to live. Won’t someone think of the children?

Uh no pipeline and carbon taxes doesn't make the world a healthier place. Firstly it penalizes average working people and not corporations. Secondly pipelines are actually safer than rail for the environment. Lastly neither of these things help in any way to reduce pollution.

Written By: 2001 on 11/15/19 at 5:28 pm

Uh no pipeline and carbon taxes doesn't make the world a healthier place. Firstly it penalizes average working people and not corporations. Secondly pipelines are actually safer than rail for the environment. Lastly neither of these things help in any way to reduce pollution.

Carbon tax doesn't penalize anybody; you get the money back directly. Most people actually earn money from the carbon tax.

I agree about pipelines though. But the Liberals got two pipelines approved vs. Conservatives who approved zero, so I don't get why the Liberals get so much flak over it.

Check for new replies or respond here...