inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What can we hope for in the 2020s?

Written By: temaichi on 11/14/19 at 6:30 pm

Next month will be the final month of the 2010s, and I honestly gotta say the 2010s have been an absolute disaster in my personal opinion. Everything from politics, society, entertainment, etc. has gone downhill fast and I don't really know what the world's gonna be like once we hit the 2020s, but hopefully it's way better than it is now. We all just have to be positive and hope for the best.

Now hear me out, I'm already aware of the fact that no decade is perfect and that a decade has no supernatural powers to make everything better. I'm just saying that we should all stay positive and hope for the best in the 2020s. But keep in mind that if you want the world to get better then you're gonna have to get up off your tail and make it better. Hard work is very important and if you want things done right you're gonna have to do them yourself.

Subject: Re: What can we hope for in the 2020s?

Written By: Slim95 on 11/14/19 at 11:53 pm

All we can really do is hope for the best!

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/15/19 at 6:28 am

For sure, I have hopes and wishes for several aspects of life and culture in the new decade.

Politics: Defeat the Nazis (again) and root out corruption and oligarchy.

Gaming: I hope - really hope - we can continue the trends of innovation and creativity, tons of experimentation by indie developers, and making it easier all the time for smaller game makers to distribute their works.

Music: I’m hoping vaporwave stays underground, but that it continues to push the envelope. However, in mainstream music, I hope lo-fi and more laid back genres start to take the place of the extremely synthesized, over-produced crap that’s been the prevailing sound of the day for as long as I’ve been alive. I’d love it if a genre that was more organic and harkened back to a pre-electronic era took over the airwaves.

Movies: I want the Disney monopoly to be broken up so we can get a proliferation of film studios again. Those guys are just pure evil anyway.

TV: I don’t want “the next Game of Thrones.” I like the more personal stories like Better Call Saul or Mad Men, so I’d like to see more like that.

Fashion: I wouldn’t mind if fashion got a little more conservative and colorful again. Like 1950s skirts and sweater vests. Obviously that won’t fly in the modern age, so maybe something inspired by it.

I don’t know, just a few thoughts.

Written By: Sman12 on 11/16/19 at 8:08 am

Maybe more diversity in the mainstream American music scene instead of just trap rap and moody EDM pop? Idk.

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/17/19 at 9:14 pm

Next month will be the final month of the 2010s, and I honestly gotta say the 2010s have been an absolute disaster in my personal opinion. Everything from politics, society, entertainment, etc. has gone downhill fast and I don't really know what the world's gonna be like once we hit the 2020s, but hopefully it's way better than it is now. We all just have to be positive and hope for the best.

Now hear me out, I'm already aware of the fact that no decade is perfect and that a decade has no supernatural powers to make everything better. I'm just saying that we should all stay positive and hope for the best in the 2020s. But keep in mind that if you want the world to get better then you're gonna have to get up off your tail and make it better. Hard work is very important and if you want things done right you're gonna have to do them yourself.

You wouldn't be wrong about the last three years being an utter disaster! Personal life wise too I wish this decade would just go already! All we can do is cross our fingers that people learn a thing or two from the 2010's and do things differently going forward.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/19 at 7:23 am

I hope in The 2020's there can be a way to stop these deadly mass shootings that seem to happen almost every month, there has to be a way.  ::)

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/18/19 at 4:58 pm

I hope in The 2020's there can be a way to stop these deadly mass shootings that seem to happen almost every month, there has to be a way.  ::)

They increased because the news outlets kept harping on about the guys doing them, essentially making these loonies famous.  ::)

Written By: HeyJealousy on 11/19/19 at 12:34 am

They increased because the news outlets kept harping on about the guys doing them, essentially making these loonies famous.  ::)

Good point.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/19 at 10:53 am

Love, peace, and happiness!

Written By: Howard on 11/26/19 at 2:41 pm

Love, peace, and happiness!

and hopefully getting rid of Trump.

Written By: fusefan on 11/26/19 at 3:53 pm

I’m just hoping for my anxiety to go away!

Written By: Slim95 on 11/26/19 at 4:12 pm

I hope trap music and EDM music go away.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/19 at 2:34 am

Classical Music to become more popular than that is now.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/19 at 4:12 am

banning smoking altogether, I just don't want to walk down the street and smell cigarette smoke.  8-P

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/27/19 at 5:59 am

Four more years of DJT.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/19 at 6:08 am

banning smoking altogether, I just don't want to walk down the street and smell cigarette smoke.  8-P
Vaping is just as bad!

Written By: Howard on 11/28/19 at 7:46 am

Vaping is just as bad!

I've seen that too as well.

Written By: exodus08 on 11/28/19 at 5:06 pm

Four more years of DJT.  8)

🇺🇸 Bernie Sanders 2020

Written By: Slim95 on 11/28/19 at 5:20 pm

🇺🇸 Bernie Sanders 2020

Do you think Bernie Sanders will win the 2020 election?

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/28/19 at 7:03 pm

Based on some of the posts I’ve seen lately...how about a giant meteor?

Written By: Howard on 11/29/19 at 7:39 am

If he gets enough votes, he probably will.

Written By: Howard on 11/29/19 at 7:40 am

flying cars
moving escalator walks
more kiosks

Written By: Sman12 on 11/29/19 at 9:26 am

Uber and Boeing are amongst the companies that are proposing flying cars,  but they'll probably be highly expensive at first...lol

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/29/19 at 11:58 am

flying cars
moving escalator walks
more kiosks

Instead of having to waste time eating food, we’ll just consume nutritious pills.  :P

Written By: Howard on 11/29/19 at 2:31 pm

Instead of having to waste time eating food, we’ll just consume nutritious pills.  :P

or just eat what astronauts have in those toothpaste tubes.

Written By: exodus08 on 11/29/19 at 4:20 pm

Based on some of the posts I’ve seen lately...how about a giant meteor?

Not a fan of Negative post.

Written By: exodus08 on 11/29/19 at 4:21 pm

He's surging while Biden and Warren fall.

Written By: exodus08 on 11/29/19 at 4:23 pm

If he gets enough votes, he probably will.

I've been seeing the polls recently and he's not doing bad.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/29/19 at 4:37 pm

I've been seeing the polls recently and he's not doing bad.

I think Bernie would be an excellent candidate in 2020. That is, if the Dems fail to convince Hillary to run again.

Written By: Howard on 11/30/19 at 4:22 am

more interactions with sexbots.  :D

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/09/19 at 11:23 pm

A better economy

More affordable housing/goods/services

Fewer terrorist attacks

Better quality music

The return of non-Marvel blockbusters

More consideration for the environment

The decline of Alt- right reactionary prevelence

The death of cancel culture

I really miss good cartoons

Written By: Howard on 12/10/19 at 7:06 am

A better economy

Fewer terrorist attacks

Better quality music

I agree with that statement, there has been a lot of them lately in the news and just about everywhere else.

Written By: temaichi on 12/11/19 at 12:10 am

A better economy

Fewer terrorist attacks

Better quality music

I believe that music will for the most part remain the same as what we have now in 2019, even the experimental ones! I think everything has been done before. Especially in the late 2010s. People will eventually understand that and respect this decade!

Written By: Slim95 on 12/12/19 at 3:56 pm

I think by mid 2020, new changes will be noticed and apperent. There's no way trap can still be popular by then at least not on the radio.

Don't ask me what changes because I don't know. Just a prediction, already things feel to be shifting because of the excitement of the next decade. The year 2020, sounding pretty cool, sounds like a year that will be full of changes. I think culturally, we will be firmly in 2020s culture some time in 2021.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/12/19 at 3:59 pm

We are still in late 2010s culture right now and it doesn't feel like we left the decade yet. I think the early 2020s and late 2010s will be very different from each other.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/19 at 7:20 am

We are still in late 2010s culture right now and it doesn't feel like we left the decade yet. I think the early 2020s and late 2010s will be very different from each other.

Once the ball drops in Times Square in just a few weeks, we'll be in the new decade.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/13/19 at 9:32 am

and hopefully getting rid of Trump.

We will in 2024.

Written By: wixness on 12/13/19 at 9:49 am

More gender non-conformity. Music that doesn't sound like a random sequence of notes strung together, and being able to keep such too (i.e. less restrictive copyright law that actually preserves culture and not exploits it for profit). The return of 2000s vibes but with more LGBT acceptance than what the previous two decades have been able to give.

Or the meteor, as someone has mentioned.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/13/19 at 10:57 am

More gender non-conformity. Music that doesn't sound like a random sequence of notes strung together, and being able to keep such too (i.e. less restrictive copyright law that actually preserves culture and not exploits it for profit). The return of 2000s vibes but with more LGBT acceptance than what the previous two decades have been able to give.

If we want these things, then we have to vote.

Or the meteor, as someone has mentioned.

Ooh! Ooh! That was me!

Written By: wixness on 12/13/19 at 11:13 am

If we want these things, then we have to vote.

I've lost faith in the legal process. I feel like that today's copyright law and widespread use of DRM has been pushed by companies. Gender non-conformity and more LGBT acceptance I think can only be achieved through changing people's beliefs about what is acceptable. I don't know how the heck we're gonna bring back the 2000s though aesthetically since people don't seem to want to bring it back - politically, it wasn't a great decade too, I just don't understand people's taste in aesthetics. Sadly I think people do just want a gender-conforming look and a less dark aesthetic too.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/13/19 at 2:52 pm

I've lost faith in the legal process. I feel like that today's copyright law and widespread use of DRM has been pushed by companies. Gender non-conformity and more LGBT acceptance I think can only be achieved through changing people's beliefs about what is acceptable. I don't know how the heck we're gonna bring back the 2000s though aesthetically since people don't seem to want to bring it back - politically, it wasn't a great decade too, I just don't understand people's taste in aesthetics. Sadly I think people do just want a gender-conforming look and a less dark aesthetic too.

Then meteor it is!

But seriously, apathy helps nobody. Losing faith in the legal/political system? Then you better get your ass off your seat and do something about it. Keep in mind our ancestors died for stuff like weekends and the right to vote.

Written By: wixness on 12/13/19 at 4:40 pm

Then meteor it is!

But seriously, apathy helps nobody. Losing faith in the legal/political system? Then you better get your ass off your seat and do something about it. Keep in mind our ancestors died for stuff like weekends and the right to vote.

I have a pretty radical stance on copyright. I don't think it helps anyone (OK, smaller creators, it does help to have some protections or avenues of remuneration, I guess); it's there to ensure culture can only exist to be used for profit. I don't think public domain can and exist anymore - art is generally a "business idea" these days.
I am someone who's made donations to organizations such as Wikipedia and the UK Pirate Party. Heck, I even wrote to Renew Europe asking about the Copyright Directive (but I got annoyed by their stance when I got a response and proceeded to move it to the Spam folder in my emails).

I could do more, but I believe my view on this matter is practically criminal by pretty much all organizations. This is also why I'm getting more and more interested in stuff like anarchism, because they want to abolish both religious fundamentalism and the capitalist tenet of how everything can only legally exist if it can make money, even if it's very messed up (e.g. arms trade with Saudi Arabia, chocolate and child labor and companies being complacent with Chinese censorship).

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/13/19 at 8:07 pm

I have a pretty radical stance on copyright. I don't think it helps anyone (OK, smaller creators, it does help to have some protections or avenues of remuneration, I guess); it's there to ensure culture can only exist to be used for profit. I don't think public domain can and exist anymore - art is generally a "business idea" these days.
I am someone who's made donations to organizations such as Wikipedia and the UK Pirate Party. Heck, I even wrote to Renew Europe asking about the Copyright Directive (but I got annoyed by their stance when I got a response and proceeded to move it to the Spam folder in my emails).

I could do more, but I believe my view on this matter is practically criminal by pretty much all organizations. This is also why I'm getting more and more interested in stuff like anarchism, because they want to abolish both religious fundamentalism and the capitalist tenet of how everything can only legally exist if it can make money, even if it's very messed up (e.g. arms trade with Saudi Arabia, chocolate and child labor and companies being complacent with Chinese censorship).

I get it, really, but the only people your apathy helps are the business interests you claim to be against. I would say, for starters, you may be seeking ways to get involved from the wrong groups. I admit I'm not quite as well-versed in IP activism (I have taken legal courses, but that doesn't help with grassroots obviously), but I think the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) might be a good place to start, considering they're not just a big "DONATE" button with spammy emails. Also, I'll be honest, Wikipedia are kinda the bad guys judging by what I know about their contribution to the proliferation of unverifiable information on the Internet.

I'm not sure what country you're in, whether US or UK (your support for the Pirate Party leads me to believe the latter), but there actually has been progress on the IP/public domain front recently that is encouraging. For starters, the Sonny Bono Act in the U.S., which extended copyright periods to ridiculous degrees, is supposed to be coming up for renewal, yet no one seems to be doing anything about it, whether talking about passing an extension or otherwise. That means the sunset clause may come into effect and for the first time since 1998, a HUGE trove of copyrighted works might be slated for the public domain. Indeed, I'm pretty sure there was big news either New Years 2018 or 2019 that there were several works finally entering the public domain for the first time since 1927. Not too shabby.

But the most important takeaway is the one I said above: your apathy only helps those who seek to make your life worse. This is generally true. So even if you are veering towards anarchy, I would strongly encourage you to consider voting in whatever country you reside in. Think of the UK election - far too many people failed to vote in 2016, which is how they ended up on the Brexit train, and again the lack of voter participation yesterday led to Boris Johnson winning another term. In 2016 in the States, if "not voting" had been counted as a presidential candidate, it would have won by a dramatic landslide.

Apathy does not bring about change. An act does.

Also U.S. copyright terms used to be 28 years, that sounds pretty damn reasonable and it'd be nice to find a candidate who would support that, wouldn't it? If such a specimen presented itself, I'd suggest voting for him/her.

Written By: wixness on 12/13/19 at 8:58 pm

I get it, really, but the only people your apathy helps are the business interests you claim to be against. I would say, for starters, you may be seeking ways to get involved from the wrong groups. I admit I'm not quite as well-versed in IP activism (I have taken legal courses, but that doesn't help with grassroots obviously), but I think the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) might be a good place to start, considering they're not just a big "DONATE" button with spammy emails. Also, I'll be honest, Wikipedia are kinda the bad guys judging by what I know about their contribution to the proliferation of unverifiable information on the Internet.

I'm not sure what country you're in, whether US or UK (your support for the Pirate Party leads me to believe the latter), but there actually has been progress on the IP/public domain front recently that is encouraging. For starters, the Sonny Bono Act in the U.S., which extended copyright periods to ridiculous degrees, is supposed to be coming up for renewal, yet no one seems to be doing anything about it, whether talking about passing an extension or otherwise. That means the sunset clause may come into effect and for the first time since 1998, a HUGE trove of copyrighted works might be slated for the public domain. Indeed, I'm pretty sure there was big news either New Years 2018 or 2019 that there were several works finally entering the public domain for the first time since 1927. Not too shabby.

But the most important takeaway is the one I said above: your apathy only helps those who seek to make your life worse. This is generally true. So even if you are veering towards anarchy, I would strongly encourage you to consider voting in whatever country you reside in. Think of the UK election - far too many people failed to vote in 2016, which is how they ended up on the Brexit train, and again the lack of voter participation yesterday led to Boris Johnson winning another term. In 2016 in the States, if "not voting" had been counted as a presidential candidate, it would have won by a dramatic landslide.

Apathy does not bring about change. An act does.

Also U.S. copyright terms used to be 28 years, that sounds pretty damn reasonable and it'd be nice to find a candidate who would support that, wouldn't it? If such a specimen presented itself, I'd suggest voting for him/her.

I'm in the UK and I'm just annoyed because I feel like they're turning into the US. Didn't vote, but it doesn't matter since the UK wants to become like the US with its market fundamentalism. I live in a town that's more the exception than the rule (the Conservatives have no chance here; the Pirate Party have no presence where I live). I do hope that Labour, whose policies I happen to agree with generally, are only putting their support for (restrictive) copyright law just to gain votes, but I'm not sure. I didn't want to risk it, but I also think that most of the UK these days supports the Conservatives. I do want to leave the UK in the long term too.

I just feel like people are on to something if they say the state is inherently violent. Violence from the state isn't an immediate issue for me, but I think they will always fall short of what they've promised or mess up somewhere (e.g. Obama and drone strikes, tuition fees). I can't support any government that agrees with companies who want culture and anything else only to exist for their monetary benefit, even if the money is redistributed. If violence isn't an issue, I'm starting to see that capitalism is, because it lets people do what's morally objectionable, like private prisons and private military companies. I just hate how money speaks louder than words in this godforsaken world.

I'm also on the mailing list of the EFF too, and I think I donated some money to them, one time while buying a blog theme online. As for Wikipedia, I just want any form of information to be freely available, without restrictive copyright law letting it being used for profit and turning it more into a business idea more than art or education.

Written By: wixness on 12/13/19 at 9:09 pm

If I care so much about copyright, it's because other people's IP is one of the few ways I can enjoy living. I don't think I can create anything that's better than what already exists even if I had the skills to create them, and I get sad and angry if I can't keep stuff I like that I pay for.

Written By: rapplepop on 12/13/19 at 9:20 pm

Bring back numetal!!!  ;D

Written By: wixness on 12/13/19 at 9:23 pm

Bring back numetal!!!  ;D

I can see why it sucks but I kind of like it, since it has an actual modern vibe to me. It also makes hip hop a little more appealing to me too since I see nu metal as a fusion of it and heavy metal.

Written By: rapplepop on 12/13/19 at 9:31 pm

I can see why it sucks but I kind of like it, since it has an actual modern vibe to me. It also makes hip hop a little more appealing to me too since I see nu metal as a fusion of it and heavy metal.

I think Linkin Park and System of a Down were actually good, a lot of the other bands were kinda sheeshty but are guilty pleasures. Even Nickelback, dare I say it, had a couple of good songs.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/14/19 at 6:08 am

I'm in the UK and I'm just annoyed because I feel like they're turning into the US. Didn't vote, but it doesn't matter since the UK wants to become like the US with its market fundamentalism. I live in a town that's more the exception than the rule (the Conservatives have no chance here; the Pirate Party have no presence where I live). I do hope that Labour, whose policies I happen to agree with generally, are only putting their support for (restrictive) copyright law just to gain votes, but I'm not sure. I didn't want to risk it, but I also think that most of the UK these days supports the Conservatives. I do want to leave the UK in the long term too.

I just feel like people are on to something if they say the state is inherently violent. Violence from the state isn't an immediate issue for me, but I think they will always fall short of what they've promised or mess up somewhere (e.g. Obama and drone strikes, tuition fees). I can't support any government that agrees with companies who want culture and anything else only to exist for their monetary benefit, even if the money is redistributed. If violence isn't an issue, I'm starting to see that capitalism is, because it lets people do what's morally objectionable, like private prisons and private military companies. I just hate how money speaks louder than words in this godforsaken world.

I'm also on the mailing list of the EFF too, and I think I donated some money to them, one time while buying a blog theme online. As for Wikipedia, I just want any form of information to be freely available, without restrictive copyright law letting it being used for profit and turning it more into a business idea more than art or education.

Damn dude, you really are a lost cause. If you haven't somehow made the connection that votes do matter and the reason things seem to be getting worse is because of the lack of voting (i.e. donating is basically just a step above virtue signaling on Facebook), then I don't know how to help you. In 2018, the U.S. decided it had enough with voter apathy and elected the largest blue wave since 1974. Could it have been better? Absolutely, they didn't win the Senate. But it was an historic gain.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/19 at 8:18 am

Wait, you didn't vote? Bruh.....

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/14/19 at 9:51 am

Yeah I’m just gonna go with giant, species-ending meteor.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/19 at 3:45 pm

I think my supermarket needs a cart machine that gathers all the carts in the 2020's, it's going to be 2025 and we're still pushing carts by hand, at least get some electronic device that would help cause I'm tired of busting my balls out there when you can make something easier for us.  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/19 at 10:50 pm

I think my supermarket needs a cart machine that gathers all the carts in the 2020's, it's going to be 2025 and we're still pushing carts by hand, at least get some electronic device that would help cause I'm tired of busting my balls out there when you can make something easier for us.  ::)

Wouldn't you be out of the job if that happened?

Written By: Howard on 12/16/19 at 7:10 am

Wouldn't you be out of the job if that happened?

I would still have a job, I mean a machine that you can attach many carts to and to push to the other end where all the carts are stored for the customers to grab.

https://rdq0w3wmd4ghvvxy3dm96rfl-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Shopping-Cart-Caddy.jpg

Written By: man 2000 on 12/16/19 at 3:03 pm

We don't know what 2020s will bring, but maybe it will be something good or it could be something bad.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/19 at 3:16 pm

What the future holds? No one knows.

Check for new replies or respond here...