inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is McDonald’s Still Popular?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/14/19 at 6:35 pm

Or is Chick Fil-A your go-to fast food?  ???

Subject: Re: Is McDonald’s Still Popular?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/14/19 at 6:48 pm

I know where you got the idea for this thread from: http://popedia.boards.net/thread/2886/mcdonalds-popular

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/14/19 at 7:00 pm

I know where you got the idea for this thread from: http://popedia.boards.net/thread/2886/mcdonalds-popular

? ? ?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 11/14/19 at 8:36 pm

Of course it is, what the heck  ;D A lot of my friends go there every week

Written By: annimal on 11/14/19 at 8:40 pm

popular with what?

Written By: nally on 11/14/19 at 10:54 pm

For me? Neither.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/19 at 7:29 am

I don't go to McDonalds anymore.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/15/19 at 11:33 am

popular with what?

Popular with your average fast food consumer.

Written By: annimal on 11/15/19 at 11:38 am

^me neither

Oh a dear I got to run    got to run
This is such a big surprise        diarrhea

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/15/19 at 12:08 pm

I eat there occasionally - it's super convenient.  When feeding our soccer boys, we go there more often - they like McDonald's.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/19 at 1:40 pm

I eat there occasionally - it's super convenient.  When feeding our soccer boys, we go there more often - they like McDonald's.

What do you usually order?

Written By: 2001 on 11/15/19 at 1:56 pm

My sister likes it. I hate it, except the ice cream.

Written By: annimal on 11/15/19 at 5:41 pm

Popular with your average fast food consumer.

who's that?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/15/19 at 6:06 pm

who's that?

People who need to eat food.  FAST.

Written By: nally on 11/15/19 at 7:21 pm

I don't go to McDonalds anymore.

The only thing I really go there for anymore is a soft-serve ice cream cone. Even so, my visits there are minimal.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/15/19 at 9:25 pm

What do you usually order?

My order varies a whole lot.  But our soccer boys (teens) are predictable - they always ask for Big Mac with added Bacon  :D

Written By: 2001 on 11/16/19 at 8:43 pm

My sister likes it. I hate it, except the ice cream.

My sister got me McDonald's.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/19 at 7:24 am

The only thing I really go there for anymore is a soft-serve ice cream cone. Even so, my visits there are minimal.

I've been going to Burger King lately.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/19 at 7:25 am

My order varies a whole lot.  But our soccer boys (teens) are predictable - they always ask for Big Mac with added Bacon  :D

What about Burger King, Do you frequent that?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/17/19 at 12:28 pm

What about Burger King, Do you frequent that?

Up until a year ago there was a BK about 100 feet from my office building. I worked in that building for roughly 3 years. I only grabbed a burger from BK maybe 3 times. Otherwise I went over there for a Frozen Coke, if the machine was working (which most of the time, it wasn’t). Place was a real suck-o-rama.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 11/17/19 at 2:47 pm

Up until a year ago there was a BK about 100 feet from my office building. I worked in that building for roughly 3 years. I only grabbed a burger from BK maybe 3 times. Otherwise I went over there for a Frozen Coke, if the machine was working (which most of the time, it wasn’t). Place was a real suck-o-rama.  8-P

So, where do you go for fast food?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/17/19 at 3:14 pm

So, where do you go for fast food?

We have a joint here in Picksburgh called Eat ‘n’ Park. Not exactly “fast food” but pretty close, and they have a decent menu.

Way back when, they used to be a Big Boy franchisee. Instead of the Big Boy Sandwich, they offer the Superburger, :P which is basically the same thing.

The Big Boy sandwich pre-dated the Big Mac by like 40 years.  ;D

Written By: annimal on 11/17/19 at 3:29 pm

Bob's ?

Written By: Howard on 11/17/19 at 5:40 pm

We have a joint here in Picksburgh called Eat ‘n’ Park. Not exactly “fast food” but pretty close, and they have a decent menu.

Way back when, they used to be a Big Boy franchisee. Instead of the Big Boy Sandwich, they offer the Superburger, :P which is basically the same thing.

The Big Boy sandwich pre-dated the Big Mac by like 40 years.  ;D

So you order a burger and fries?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/17/19 at 5:55 pm

So you order a burger and fries?

Every now and then.

Usually I just get a bowl of their chicken noodle soup and some rolls.  :P

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/17/19 at 9:12 pm

I only really eat their breakfast foods if I stop there, otherwise I think there are better fast food options available.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/18/19 at 1:25 am

I do have to say that I look forward to the annual return of the McRib.  :P

Written By: Dude111 on 11/18/19 at 2:09 am

I only really eat their breakfast foods if I stop there, otherwise I think there are better fast food options available.

Yes I think juat about any USDA ORGANIC option is much better :)

Written By: Howard on 11/18/19 at 7:18 am

Every now and then.

Usually I just get a bowl of their chicken noodle soup and some rolls.  :P

A bowl of chicken soup and some rolls probably won't fill you up but a burger and fries will plus you also got a side dish of cole slaw and a pickle.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/19 at 7:19 am

When I go to Burger King I get their value menu breakfast deal of hash browns or maybe a small breakfast burrito with a coffee on the side.

Written By: annimal on 11/18/19 at 10:05 am

I use to get the chicken fingers at Burger King when I was little, but now my parents don't go there.  My favorite now is the Jumbo Jack

Written By: Howard on 11/18/19 at 1:13 pm

Yes I think juat about any USDA ORGANIC option is much better :)

Dude, have you had The Impossible Whopper yet?

Written By: Howard on 11/18/19 at 1:19 pm

I do have to say that I look forward to the annual return of the McRib.  :P

How was the McRib before? Was it what you expected?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/18/19 at 5:39 pm

How was the McRib before? Was it what you expected?

The McRib is and always has been awesome.  I wish they made them year-round.  8)

Back when they first came out, they were advertised as "the no bones barbeque".  A buddy of mine broke a tooth on one... seems a bone made it through the process.  ;D

Written By: Dude111 on 11/19/19 at 6:15 am

Dude, have you had The Impossible Whopper yet?

No does it taste good??

Written By: Howard on 11/19/19 at 7:20 am

The McRib is and always has been awesome.  I wish they made them year-round.  8)

Back when they first came out, they were advertised as "the no bones barbeque".  A buddy of mine broke a tooth on one... seems a bone made it through the process.  ;D

I kind of liked it but I wish they made it bigger, when they advertised it on TV, it looked large.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/19 at 7:20 am

No does it taste good??

It tastes the same as a regular whopper.

Written By: Dude111 on 11/19/19 at 9:12 pm

Hehe ok then I have my answer ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/21/19 at 2:08 pm

Is Burger King more popular than McDonald's?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/19 at 10:51 am

Yes, still very popular, especially for the breakfast menu.

Also, very popular with my granddaughter.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/19 at 2:43 pm

Yes, still very popular, especially for the breakfast menu.

Also, very popular with my granddaughter.

I love their breakfast menu when I have the hash browns and hot coffee.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/19 at 2:44 pm

I love their breakfast menu when I have the hash browns and hot coffee.
It's always hash browns for me too!

Written By: Howard on 11/26/19 at 2:59 pm

It's always hash browns for me too!

and dipping them in either ketchup or maple syrup.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/19 at 3:23 pm

and dipping them in either ketchup or maple syrup.
I have mastered the taste of maple syrup.

Written By: rapplepop on 11/27/19 at 6:48 pm

It's still popular with Chinese people. Last time I was there I was the only white person in the lobby, pretty much everyone else was Chinese/Asian.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/28/19 at 6:34 am

It's still popular with Chinese people. Last time I was there I was the only white person in the lobby, pretty much everyone else was Chinese/Asian.

Was this in China?

Written By: Howard on 11/28/19 at 7:31 am

Have you ever visited a Chinese McDonald's?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/28/19 at 9:05 am

Have you ever visited a Chinese McDonald's?

I was in a Japanese McDonalds. They had the same items as we have here in the US of A.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/19 at 3:08 pm

I was in a Japanese McDonalds. They had the same items as we have here in the US of A.

What did you order?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/28/19 at 3:29 pm

What did you order?

Quarter Pounder with cheese, fries, Coke.

Written By: karen on 11/30/19 at 9:38 am

There are three McDonalds in the town where I live and they all seem pretty busy. The one in the main town square has a bit of a bad reputation as a place where yobs hang around (inside and out).  This week around 20 or so had banning orders preventing them from visiting the restaurant

My fast food of choice is either Subway or a local Mexican place called Plan Burrito

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/20 at 5:08 pm

With McDonalds fast food joints being amongst the few establishments where you can get prepared food throughout the coronavirus debacle, do you think there will be a backlash/burnout after all the restrictions are lifted? ???

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/10/20 at 5:46 pm

With McDonalds fast food joints being amongst the few establishments where you can get prepared food throughout the coronavirus debacle, do you think there will be a backlash/burnout after all the restrictions are lifted? ???

I think McDonald’s will always be the most popular fast food joint. If all fast food closed down, they would be the last one to do so.

So far we have a BK, Arby’s, and Big Boy that have closed for good. Big Boy had problems staying open last summer because of lack of workers. Dennys had the same problem.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/20 at 1:41 am

In the UK McDonald's is currently open for take away only, and no hanging around when purchasing.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/20 at 7:29 am

I think McDonald’s will always be the most popular fast food joint. If all fast food closed down, they would be the last one to do so.

So far we have a BK, Arby’s, and Big Boy that have closed for good. Big Boy had problems staying open last summer because of lack of workers. Dennys had the same problem.

And most of the establishments now are open for take-out only.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/11/20 at 7:55 am

And most of the establishments now are open for take-out only.

Many in the north part of the state are now open with measures in place. Like 50% or less capacity, tables spaced apart and away from main walkways, masks required unless you are seated.

The governor finally gave us northerners some reprieve since through all of this, the confirmed cases for northern counties have only been about 1 per week, with a few more like 1 a day.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/20 at 8:00 am

Many in the north part of the state are now open with measures in place. Like 50% or less capacity, tables spaced apart and away from main walkways, masks required unless you are seated.

The governor finally gave us northerners some reprieve since through all of this, the confirmed cases for northern counties have only been about 1 per week, with a few more like 1 a day.

https://www.e-arc.com/wp-content/themes/earcv3/lib/theme/media/floor-decals-3.jpg

They have had these signs on the floor where you should stand.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/11/20 at 8:20 am

https://www.e-arc.com/wp-content/themes/earcv3/lib/theme/media/floor-decals-3.jpg

We are not that elaborate. We get tape in the shape of an X. Outside we get a painted X.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/20 at 9:27 am

A distance of about two broom lengthS?

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/20 at 1:12 pm

I don't think McDonald's is going anywhere.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/20 at 2:34 pm

A distance of about two broom lengthS?

I would guess about that distance.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/14/20 at 12:38 pm

I don't think McDonald's is going anywhere.

The chain's been ingrained in American culture for generations now. Hell, fast food restaurants in general are an indelible part of American culture. Trans fat and high calories galore.  :D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/14/20 at 12:57 pm

The chain's been ingrained in American culture for generations now. Hell, fast food restaurants in general are an indelible part of American culture. Trans fat and high calories galore.  :D

We are living through a time of great upheaval. Things long ingrained in our culture are being toppled. Be it statues, institutions or long entrenched beliefs. Things are being swept away. I would like to see McDonalds and their unhealthy, sick-making, smelly food be among them. The only thing I would be sorry about is people losing their jobs. But surely, nobody plans to stay  in "McJobs" for the long term anyway.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/20 at 1:48 pm

I mean, who doesn't love fast food these days, I've enjoyed fast food all my life eating burgers, french fries, chicken nuggets and filling up loads of coke in my cup.

Written By: 2001 on 06/14/20 at 2:54 pm

The whole world has become addicted to fast food. America used to be indisputable #1 in global obesity rates, but now it's somewhere closer to #20.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/20 at 7:22 am

The whole world has become addicted to fast food. America used to be indisputable #1 in global obesity rates, but now it's somewhere closer to #20.

Just imagine if the whole world went on Weight Watchers, what would it look like?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/15/20 at 10:26 am

Just imagine if the whole world went on Weight Watchers, what would it look like?

America would look like what it looked like 30 or so years ago. The American obesity epidemic (yes, that's what the CDC called it in 1999) basically started in the 1990s and has been growing ever since. Take a look at a picture from the Woodstock festival in 1969 for example. Half a million people in various states of undress and you see very, very few overweight people. Compare that to a more recent photo of a large gathering, say at a country music festival or large sporting event. You will see a large number of overweight people.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/15/20 at 1:03 pm

When I was couchsurfing and commuting 50 miles back and forth to work every day a few months back (long story) I'd hit up a 24 hour McDonald's on the way back to my sister's house because I work late and they were open 24 hours. I think their quality has improved quite a bit over the last several years.

I actually went to high school with a guy whose dad was an animal science professor at the University of Nebraska and who invented the process that allowed McDonald's to create the McRib.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2011/11/04/142018151/from-nebraska-lab-to-mcdonalds-tray-the-mcribs-strange-journey

Written By: Howard on 06/15/20 at 1:57 pm

America would look like what it looked like 30 or so years ago. The American obesity epidemic (yes, that's what the CDC called it in 1999) basically started in the 1990s and has been growing ever since. Take a look at a picture from the Woodstock festival in 1969 for example. Half a million people in various states of undress and you see very, very few overweight people. Compare that to a more recent photo of a large gathering, say at a country music festival or large sporting event. You will see a large number of overweight people.

I wonder why were eating more fast food than 40 years ago?

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/15/20 at 2:10 pm

The restaurant industry would look a lot like a lot of brick and mortar stores are looking right now.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/20 at 2:12 pm

The restaurant industry would look a lot like a lot of brick and mortar stores are looking right now.

And they would resemble a health food shop.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/15/20 at 4:32 pm

I wonder why were eating more fast food than 40 years ago?

Among other things. It boils down to too much food and too little exercise.

Read this:

www.publichealth.org/public-awareness/obesity/

Some pertinent excerpts:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) reports that the average American ate almost 20% more calories in the year 2000 than they did in 1983, thanks, in part, to a boom in meat consumption. Today, each American puts away an average of 195lbs of meat every year, compared to just 138lbs in the 1950's. Consumption of added fats also shot up by around two thirds over the same period, and grain consumption rose 45% since 1970.

Research published by the World Health Organization found that a rise in fast food sales correlated to a rise in body mass index, and Americans are notorious for their fast-food consumption ― such food makes up about 11% of the average American diet. Another study demonstrates the full effect added sugars from soda and energy drinks are wreaking havoc on American waistlines. So it is not just how much we eat, but what we eat.

Lack of exercise is also a major culprit in the obesity epidemic. It's been decades since most Americans worked in fields and on factory floors, a far greater majority of us are sitting throughout our workday. This means less exercise each day. According to one study, only 20% of today's jobs require at least moderate physical activity, as opposed to 50% of jobs in 1960. Other research suggests Americans burn 120 to 140 fewer calories a day than they did 50 years ago. Add this to the higher amount of calories we are packing in, and we get a perfect recipe for weight gain.

But lethargy goes well beyond the workplace. It is also how we get to work and what we do after. Americans walk less than people in any other industrialized country, preferring to sit in cars to get around. And at the end of the day, 80% of Americans don't get enough exercise, according to the CDC.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/20 at 6:58 am

Among other things. It boils down to too much food and too little exercise.

Read this:

www.publichealth.org/public-awareness/obesity/

Some pertinent excerpts:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) reports that the average American ate almost 20% more calories in the year 2000 than they did in 1983, thanks, in part, to a boom in meat consumption. Today, each American puts away an average of 195lbs of meat every year, compared to just 138lbs in the 1950's. Consumption of added fats also shot up by around two thirds over the same period, and grain consumption rose 45% since 1970.

Research published by the World Health Organization found that a rise in fast food sales correlated to a rise in body mass index, and Americans are notorious for their fast-food consumption ― such food makes up about 11% of the average American diet. Another study demonstrates the full effect added sugars from soda and energy drinks are wreaking havoc on American waistlines. So it is not just how much we eat, but what we eat.

Lack of exercise is also a major culprit in the obesity epidemic. It's been decades since most Americans worked in fields and on factory floors, a far greater majority of us are sitting throughout our workday. This means less exercise each day. According to one study, only 20% of today's jobs require at least moderate physical activity, as opposed to 50% of jobs in 1960. Other research suggests Americans burn 120 to 140 fewer calories a day than they did 50 years ago. Add this to the higher amount of calories we are packing in, and we get a perfect recipe for weight gain.

But lethargy goes well beyond the workplace. It is also how we get to work and what we do after. Americans walk less than people in any other industrialized country, preferring to sit in cars to get around. And at the end of the day, 80% of Americans don't get enough exercise, according to the CDC.

I'd rather be skinny than be obese, all my life from the times that I always weighed myself I've been less than 200 pounds between 150-170 pounds or less than that and I've learned to burn it off right after.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/16/20 at 7:31 am

I'd rather be skinny than be obese, all my life from the times that I always weighed myself I've been less than 200 pounds between 150-170 pounds or less than that and I've learned to burn it off right after.

Me too. I’m 150 and feel freaking obese even though I can still wear my high school clothes. All through high school and until my kid was born I was 120 and felt better. I did get to 125 the winter after my last surgery. Lately I’ve been thinking about getting a used weight machine for the basement and maybe I could look a little better. But I’m most attracted to gals around 2x my weight, go figure.

I do eat a lot of junk food because it’s easiest for my body to handle. From stores not restaurants. Rarely do I go for fast food or restaurants, it’s too expensive and out of my way. But I don’t eat a lot of food in general. Go to a restaurant and I’m best with just a little side dish or two. A McDonald’s meal I can never eat in one sitting. Sometimes my body doesn’t want food for days and eating anything makes me feel yucky. I can go days or even a week without eating and still not be lightheaded or even hungry. I just eat because I know I’m supposed to.

Written By: karen on 06/16/20 at 8:11 am

Further to VotS post, two things I noticed when we lived in the States is the surprising range of food that had sugar (corn syrup, etc) in them that you wouldn’t find added in other countries. For example,  I started making my own coleslaw because what ever brand I bought, including from the deli, it would taste revoltingly sweet.

Another thing is car use. There were large neighbourhoods where you had to drive places because there were no sidewalks to walk on. We were regarded as strange because we would park downtown and walk between the various shopping centres. I would see people drive to park in front of each shop in the same strip mall.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/16/20 at 8:14 am

Me too. I’m 150 and feel freaking obese even though I can still wear my high school clothes. All through high school and until my kid was born I was 120 and felt better. I did get to 125 the winter after my last surgery. Lately I’ve been thinking about getting a used weight machine for the basement and maybe I could look a little better. But I’m most attracted to gals around 2x my weight, go figure.

You weighed 120 in high school? Isn't that  little low for a male? Might I ask how tall you are? You must have been like one of those impossibly skinny kids with a size 26 waist I used to see in local heavy metal bands. They were always so skinny in those bands.

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/16/20 at 8:31 am

Further to VotS post, two things I noticed when we lived in the States is the surprising range of food that had sugar (corn syrup, etc) in them that you wouldn’t find added in other countries. For example,  I started making my own coleslaw because what ever brand I bought, including from the deli, it would taste revoltingly sweet.

Another thing is car use. There were large neighbourhoods where you had to drive places because there were no sidewalks to walk on. We were regarded as strange because we would park downtown and walk between the various shopping centres. I would see people drive to park in front of each shop in the same strip mall.

Yeah, American food is sickeningly sweet to most Brits.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/16/20 at 9:17 am

You weighed 120 in high school? Isn't that  little low for a male? Might I ask how tall you are? You must have been like one of those impossibly skinny kids with a size 26 waist I used to see in local heavy metal bands. They were always so skinny in those bands.

Yes and at least when I was feeling good I ate like a horse. 5’8” tall. 29 waist. Haha yes I did play in bands back then in the 90s and had tons of energy. I weighed that until I was 24 and my kid was in the oven, then somehow I put on the weight instead of the wife. I shot up to 150. I felt huge and lethargic.

As time went on I ballooned out to a 32 waist. But after my 2018 intestinal surgery I dropped back to the 29 waist. I had bought a bunch of 32 pants but they feel huge and fall off even with a belt.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/16/20 at 9:30 am

Yes and at least when I was feeling good I ate like a horse. 5’8” tall. 29 waist. Haha yes I did play in bands back then in the 90s and had tons of energy. I weighed that until I was 24 and my kid was in the oven, then somehow I put on the weight instead of the wife. I shot up to 150. I felt huge and lethargic.

As time went on I ballooned out to a 32 waist. But after my 2018 intestinal surgery I dropped back to the 29 waist. I had bought a bunch of 32 pants but they feel huge and fall off even with a belt.

Mot people would not say a 32 waste is "ballooning". Many people would kill to be that size.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/16/20 at 1:31 pm

I do eat a lot of junk food because it’s easiest for my body to handle. From stores not restaurants. Rarely do I go for fast food or restaurants, it’s too expensive and out of my way. But I don’t eat a lot of food in general. Go to a restaurant and I’m best with just a little side dish or two. A McDonald’s meal I can never eat in one sitting. Sometimes my body doesn’t want food for days and eating anything makes me feel yucky. I can go days or even a week without eating and still not be lightheaded or even hungry. I just eat because I know I’m supposed to.

And I think just as soon as I got older closing in on 50 years of age I tend to eat a lot of junk food myself, sometimes with going to Burger King in the morning before work I'd buy hash browns and a cuppa coffee then I'd make my own lunch then maybe dinner I'd buy those spicy nuggets and a taco.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/20 at 1:33 pm

I was in my 120's and 130's in High School and today I'm 6ft tall and I weigh between 165-170 lbs.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/20 at 1:35 pm

Today I'm a 40 waist and I need to buy pants that are 38/40 or a 40/30, Yes I'm a big guy.  ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/16/20 at 2:31 pm

Mot people would not say a 32 waste is "ballooning". Many people would kill to be that size.  ;D

My dad was 5’6” or 5’7” and skinny like I was in high school. Then when I was in my teens he got up to 140 with a 32 inch waist. My mom constantly called him fat and told him to lose weight and even bought him a weight bench which he never used. Eventually she left him for someone more fit. So that’s where my perception comes from. She was a beanpole and to this day doesn’t look like she has gained a pound.

When I got bigger my face showed it too and my dad said it looked like my face was swelled and I got beat up. That made me go on a crash diet. He often criticizes me for being attracted to curvy partners. Yeah lots of fat shaming where I grew up. Well it stops with me. My kid’s mom is a shamer too but I taught my kid to be accepting of all.

But yeah we were talking about McDonalds. To me the healthiness isn’t much of a factor. I can eat reasonably or totally make myself sick with huge portions of junk just the same at a fast food joint as I can at the grocery store. Actually at the store I can get more junk for my money so in a way that could be unhealthier.

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/16/20 at 2:56 pm

My dad was 5’6” or 5’7” and skinny like I was in high school. Then when I was in my teens he got up to 140 with a 32 inch waist. My mom constantly called him fat and told him to lose weight and even bought him a weight bench which he never used. Eventually she left him for someone more fit. So that’s where my perception comes from. She was a beanpole and to this day doesn’t look like she has gained a pound.

When I got bigger my face showed it too and my dad said it looked like my face was swelled and I got beat up. That made me go on a crash diet. He often criticizes me for being attracted to curvy partners. Yeah lots of fat shaming where I grew up. Well it stops with me. My kid’s mom is a shamer too but I taught my kid to be accepting of all.

But yeah we were talking about McDonalds. To me the healthiness isn’t much of a factor. I can eat reasonably or totally make myself sick with huge portions of junk just the same at a fast food joint as I can at the grocery store. Actually at the store I can get more junk for my money so in a way that could be unhealthier.

Depends on your height really. A 32” waist at 5’6 might be a bit overweight.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/20 at 7:45 am

I'm a 40" waist and I'm 6ft tall.

Written By: 2001 on 06/17/20 at 8:45 am

The rule is to stay under half your height. So someone who is 5'6" (66 inches) tall should have a waist under 33 inches. This works for centimetres too. This is a better measurement for overweight/obesity than using your weight, if you have a lot of muscle mass.

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/17/20 at 1:36 pm

The rule is to stay under half your height. So someone who is 5'6" (66 inches) tall should have a waist under 33 inches. This works for centimetres too. This is a better measurement for overweight/obesity than using your weight, if you have a lot of muscle mass.

I’m 5’11 and have a 30” waist - I got up to a 34” waist before but thought I looked a bit too chubby. I never worked out back then so I had virtually no muscle definition.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/20 at 2:50 pm

I'm a 38-40" waist and I'm 6ft tall.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/20 at 2:54 pm

I’m 5’11 and have a 30” waist - I got up to a 34” waist before but thought I looked a bit too chubby. I never worked out back then so I had virtually no muscle definition.

I used to be skinny, I was between 125-140lbs and then I gained some weight probably right after High School but I've been able to weigh myself lately and I've never been over 200lbs which is a good thing. I eat a big breakfast, a somewhat light lunch then a big dinner at our around 6pm.

Written By: 2001 on 06/18/20 at 12:41 am

I think I'm 32-33" right now at 5'8" and it does look a bit chubby, at least it's the chubbiest I've ever been. I was 29-30" before I started weight lifting and I ate too much calories on a bulk phase. The worst part is since this pandemic started, I've lost 7 pounds, but it's almost all in muscle. My stomach hasn't budged.  :-[

Written By: Howard on 06/18/20 at 7:20 am

I think I'm 32-33" right now at 5'8" and it does look a bit chubby, at least it's the chubbiest I've ever been. I was 29-30" before I started weight lifting and I ate too much calories on a bulk phase. The worst part is since this pandemic started, I've lost 7 pounds, but it's almost all in muscle. My stomach hasn't budged.  :-[

Hey man, I'm a 40" waist and I'm 6ft tall.

Written By: 2001 on 06/18/20 at 11:20 am

Hey man, I'm a 40" waist and I'm 6ft tall.

;D :-gay standards. You don't gotta worry.

Written By: Howard on 06/18/20 at 2:04 pm

;D :-gay standards. You don't gotta worry.

OK, no problem.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/20 at 8:16 am

I just made a long trip to the Midwest. The McDonalds drive-thrus were always packed.

So I’d say McDonalds is still popular.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/20 at 3:07 pm

I just made a long trip to the Midwest. The McDonalds drive-thrus were always packed.

What did you order LB?

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/19/20 at 6:37 pm

McDonald’s may be the only one left eventually. All of our Burger Kings are closing because the one who owns all the franchises doesn’t want to do the renovations required now the 20 year lease is up. Arby’s has cut their hours down to nothing and is now only open while I’m at work. Wendy’s is supposedly filing for bankruptcy.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/20/20 at 5:34 am

What did you order LB?

Cheeseburger, small fries, small chocolate shake.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/24/20 at 5:39 am

McDonald’s stock price recently took a big jump, bucking the expectation for restaurants in today’s COVID environment.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pfizer-mcdonalds-share-gains-contribute-to-dows-125-point-jump-2020-07-22

Popular, yes.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/20 at 7:46 am

This Is What a McDonald's Menu Looked Like in the 1980s

McRib.
    Chicken McNuggets.
    McDLT.
    Salads.
    McPizza.
    McSpaghetti.

Happy meals.
    Quarter pounder.

Who in the hell would order spaghetti and pizza from a McDonalds?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 11:09 am

Oh yes, we were in a Drive-Thu yesterday, my first Big Mac in 5 months!

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/26/20 at 2:53 pm

McRib.
    Chicken McNuggets.
    McDLT.
    Salads.
    McPizza.
    McSpaghetti.

Happy meals.
    Quarter pounder.

I’d order a McSpaghetti with McMeatballs.  :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/26/20 at 2:55 pm

McRib.
    Chicken McNuggets.
    McDLT.
    Salads.
    McPizza.
    McSpaghetti.

Happy meals.
    Quarter pounder.

Also don’t forget their awesome mascot, Mac Tonight.  8)

0c4_b5PHWg8

Written By: nally on 07/26/20 at 3:04 pm

I remember that advertising campaign c. 1987; that jingle was heavily based on the Bobby Darin classic "Mack The Knife". :D

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/26/20 at 8:59 pm

0c4_b5PHWg8

I remember one of my elementary school teachers wearing that Mac tonight moon on his head for a Halloween costume.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/20 at 2:48 pm

I’d order a McSpaghetti with McMeatballs.  :P

How was it?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/20 at 6:38 pm

Yes it's popular, extremely popular because of Mcafe especially. There is no Chic-Fil-A here in Canada. I heard it's popular down in the states though. Up here, McDonalds and Tim Hortons are the popular go-to fast food restaurants. But McDonalds is actually becoming more popular up here than Tim Hortons because the quality of the coffee is a lot better than Tims and for the same price, it's a no brainer. I think Tim Hortons went downhill when Burger King bought them. They really need to change their coffee and make it taste better. I always go to McDonalds for the coffee, it has the best fast food coffee for sure.

Oh but their new lil' donuts suck!  8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/20 at 5:05 am

How was it?
In the Philipines, there is a fast food restaurant that serves spaghetti too, but the Philippine tradition is to serve with a sweetener. I cannot remember which restaurant, Jollibee, Wendy's, or Chowking.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/20 at 7:36 am

Yes it's popular, extremely popular because of Mcafe especially. There is no Chic-Fil-A here in Canada. I heard it's popular down in the states though. Up here, McDonalds and Tim Hortons are the popular go-to fast food restaurants. But McDonalds is actually becoming more popular up here than Tim Hortons because the quality of the coffee is a lot better than Tims and for the same price, it's a no brainer. I think Tim Hortons went downhill when Burger King bought them. They really need to change their coffee and make it taste better. I always go to McDonalds for the coffee, it has the best fast food coffee for sure.

Oh but their new lil' donuts suck!  8-P

I didn't know McDonald's sell donuts?  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/29/20 at 5:33 am

I didn't know McDonald's sell donuts?  :o

McJelly McDonuts?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/29/20 at 5:48 am

Mickey D is closing 200 of its ubiquitous restaurants.  :\'(

https://triblive.com/business/mcdonalds-to-close-200-u-s-locations/

I guess McDonald’s is not popular everywhere.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/29/20 at 3:44 pm

McJelly McDonuts?

They probably taste like s h i t!  :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/29/20 at 5:38 pm

They probably taste like s h i t!  :P

How do you know what s h i t tastes like? ???

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/29/20 at 9:50 pm

Maybe like worn jelly shoes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/20 at 1:29 am

Maybe like worn jelly shoes.
Is there a difference?

Written By: Howard on 07/30/20 at 7:58 am

Knowing the way McDonald's cooks things they probably taste awful, never said I've tasted them,  just giving my assumption.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/20 at 6:29 am

CNN reports that Wendy’s is taking a big wet bite out of McDonald’s breakfast action. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/business/wendys-breakfast-sales/index.html

I think it is time for McD’s to counter with a McRib breakfast offering.

Written By: Howard on 08/09/20 at 2:20 pm

CNN reports that Wendy’s is taking a big wet bite out of McDonald’s breakfast action. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/business/wendys-breakfast-sales/index.html

I think it is time for McD’s to counter with a McRib breakfast offering.

I wouldn't mind a McRib for breakfast.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/20 at 9:08 am

After the reopening of McDonald's, a relative and I both felt uneasy after having our own Big Macs that were served from different restaurants.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/16/20 at 6:08 am

McDonald’s must be really kicking butt out there.

Famed investor Warren Buffett just sold off all of his holdings in Restaurant Brands International, which owns the Burger King, Tim Horton’s, and Popeyes Chicken eatery chains.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/20 at 6:41 am

After the reopening of McDonald's, a relative and I both felt uneasy after having our own Big Macs that were served from different restaurants.
I am in no rush to go back to McD!

Written By: Howard on 08/16/20 at 7:26 am

I am in no rush to go back to McD!

I head to Burger King.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/20 at 7:36 am

I head to Burger King.
I have made inquires with them and their products are not suitable for my diet.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/20 at 4:18 am

I have made inquires with them and their products are not suitable for my diet.

What's a diet?  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: Howard on 08/18/20 at 7:20 am

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/20 at 4:11 pm

McDonald's is ETERNAL!

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/3e/fe/87/3efe870488b9523dd3609ae2a4c96243--dark-side-i-am.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/20 at 8:12 am

I will not go into details here.

Written By: Slashpop on 08/22/20 at 4:34 pm

Even though I don’t eat McDonald’s I kind of miss when there were less restaurants and going to McDonalds was a treat and it wasn’t frowned upon.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/22/20 at 6:18 pm

Even though I don’t eat McDonald’s I kind of miss when there were less restaurants and going to McDonalds was a treat and it wasn’t frowned upon.

Who frowns on Mickey D? ???

Written By: Howard on 08/23/20 at 1:14 pm

Slash, so where do you go to eat fast food? ???

Written By: Slashpop on 08/23/20 at 2:46 pm

Slash, so where do you go to eat fast food? ???

Haven’t really been eating out for a while.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/20 at 4:02 am

Me neither I'm just eating fast food occasionally.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/07/20 at 6:44 pm

Seems there is a controversy as to whether or not McDonalds food will decompose.  :P

https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/mcdonalds-response-to-viral-tiktok-video-is-an-epic-fail-and-a-major-lesson-in-emotional-intelligence.html

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/07/20 at 6:52 pm

Seems there is a controversy as to whether or not McDonalds food will decompose.  :P

https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/mcdonalds-response-to-viral-tiktok-video-is-an-epic-fail-and-a-major-lesson-in-emotional-intelligence.html

If you set fire to a McDonald's shake it smells like burning plastic. The moral is to stay away from McDonald's once and for all.  Your body will thank you.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/20 at 7:16 am

If you set fire to a McDonald's shake it smells like burning plastic. The moral is to stay away from McDonald's once and for all.  Your body will thank you.

Go to Burger King instead.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/08/20 at 8:53 am

Go to Burger King instead.

Way to miss the point.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/20 at 1:24 pm

Way to miss the point.

Why did I miss the point?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/08/20 at 1:27 pm

Why did I miss the point?

Really? The idea is to stay away from all those places. 

Written By: Howard on 09/08/20 at 1:37 pm

Really? The idea is to stay away from all those places.

I don't go to Burger King all the time just once in a while.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/20 at 5:26 am

Why would I want to set fire to a milk shake? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/09/20 at 8:36 am

Why would I want to set fire to a milk shake? ???

As an experiment to see if it smells like burning plastic. Something that smells like burning plastic when it is on fire is probably not fit for consumption when it's not on fire.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/20 at 7:55 am

Yesterday, McDonald's launched the new Travis Scott Meal — a $6 meal consisting of Travis's "go-to order" at the fast food restaurant: a quarter pounder with cheese, bacon, and lettuce, medium fries with BBQ sauce, and a Sprite.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/20 at 8:30 am

Yesterday, McDonald's launched the new Travis Scott Meal — a $6 meal consisting of Travis's "go-to order" at the fast food restaurant: a quarter pounder with cheese, bacon, and lettuce, medium fries with BBQ sauce, and a Sprite.

I saw that. I wonder if they have a kosher version?

Written By: Howard on 09/13/20 at 7:49 am

I saw that. I wonder if they have a kosher version?

Why would McDonald's have a "kosher version"?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/13/20 at 12:53 pm

Why would McDonald's have a "kosher version"?  ???

To expand the marketability of the product. Having a sandwich with bacon, beef, and cheese excludes kosher adherents from enjoying the product. Maybe if they used that meat substitute product for the bacon and beef patties they could make it kosher.  And tasty.  :P

Written By: Howard on 09/13/20 at 1:31 pm

To expand the marketability of the product. Having a sandwich with bacon, beef, and cheese excludes kosher adherents from enjoying the product. Maybe if they used that meat substitute product for the bacon and beef patties they could make it kosher.  And tasty.  :P

They could also include:
The McKasha & The McGefilte

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/13/20 at 1:50 pm

They could also include:
The McKasha & The McGefilte

I could go for a McGefilte right now.  :P

Written By: Howard on 09/14/20 at 3:03 pm

I could go for a McGefilte right now.  :P

That would be a piece of gefilte fish in between 2 buns.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/20 at 4:59 pm

That would be a piece of gefilte fish in between 2 buns.

With secret sauce.  :P

Written By: Howard on 09/16/20 at 3:56 am

secret sauce wouldn't go on gefilte fish, how about some small slices of herring?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/20 at 7:32 am

So secret is the sauce, are the ingredients known to allergy sufferers?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/19/20 at 7:53 am

So secret is the sauce, are the ingredients known to allergy sufferers?

Secret sauce is usually hours and island dressing or ranch dressing.  :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/19/20 at 7:54 am

We are approaching October, and you know what that usually means...

McRib will be back!

McD’s will most certainly be popular.  :P

Written By: Howard on 09/20/20 at 5:02 am

We are approaching October, and you know what that usually means...

McRib will be back!

McD’s will most certainly be popular.  :P

sounds delicious but for how much is the McRib this time?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/20 at 1:07 pm

sounds delicious but for how much is the McRib this time?

Probably 4 bucks, maybe 5.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/20 at 2:57 pm

Yes, very popular, I walk by one the other day and the people were queuing to get in, luckily for me I did not need to enter.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/30/20 at 6:18 pm

McRib is Coming Back!!!

Read all about it here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonalds-mcrib-to-return-nationally-in-2020-sparking-celebration-2020-10

Written By: Howard on 10/31/20 at 3:08 pm

McRib is Coming Back!!!

Read all about it here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonalds-mcrib-to-return-nationally-in-2020-sparking-celebration-2020-10

Is this for a limited time?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/01/20 at 5:31 am

Is this for a limited time?

Yes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/20 at 8:24 am

Popular, yes, under the circumstances, take away only.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/09/20 at 5:37 pm

Mickey D has announced that it will be introducing the McPlant, their version of the meatless burger.  8)  :P

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2020/11/09/mcplant-mcdonalds-plant-based-burger-crispy-chicken-sandwich/6187977002/

This will certainly help their popularity in some circles...

Written By: 2001 on 11/09/20 at 6:27 pm

Mickey D has announced that it will be introducing the McPlant, their version of the meatless burger.  8)  :P

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2020/11/09/mcplant-mcdonalds-plant-based-burger-crispy-chicken-sandwich/6187977002/

This will certainly help their popularity in some circles...

No way it will actually be called McPlant, right?

Written By: Howard on 11/10/20 at 3:10 pm

No way it will actually be called McPlant, right?

Yes that's what it will be called.  ::)

Written By: GeekyAlgorithm on 11/11/20 at 2:37 pm

I like McDonalds, but they got rid of Ronald McDonald to make way for that Minion looking box sometime in the mid 2010s, and I even haven't seen him around in a while.

Foreign countries like Japan still use Ronald, and he's still in the PlayPlaces. But he isn't in the ads anymore.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/20 at 3:26 pm

I like McDonalds, but they got rid of Ronald McDonald to make way for that Minion looking box sometime in the mid 2010s, and I even haven't seen him around in a while.

Foreign countries like Japan still use Ronald, and he's still in the PlayPlaces. But he isn't in the ads anymore.

But he's still a part of American culture.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 6:42 am

But he's still a part of American culture.
...it's that clown image?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 10:12 am

The only time (other than my birthday dinner), was eating a takeaway from McDonalds.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/26/20 at 8:28 am

The McRib officially returns to the USA McDonalds outlets on December 2nd. Just six days until the awesome sandwich is available across the land.  8)

The anticipation has been agonizing.

Written By: Howard on 11/29/20 at 7:10 am

Is Burger King still as popular as McDonalds?

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/29/20 at 8:43 am

Not here because most of them have been closed down.

Written By: 2001 on 11/29/20 at 9:05 am

Same here. Last time I went it was just me and my friends and two bees having sex on our table/window. It closed not long after.

Written By: Howard on 11/29/20 at 1:31 pm

The Burger King I go to before I start work still does pick-up but no eating in.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/05/20 at 6:07 pm

There’s a BK near my office, but the Frozen Coke machine is always broken.  >:(

Written By: 2001 on 12/05/20 at 6:15 pm

There’s a BK near my office, but the Frozen Coke machine is always broken.  >:(

I heard ice cream machines at fast food places aren't necessarily broken, they just take forever to clean. They only tell people it's broken to avoid commotion.

Check for new replies or respond here...