inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Woke Culture

Written By: thisismelemon on 11/21/19 at 3:02 am

What do you guys think about Woke Culture?

Lately i have been hearing more and more about it

Subject: Re: Woke Culture

Written By: 2001 on 11/21/19 at 11:59 am

The word is quite old (2012? 2013?) at this point to the point it's irrelevant for the same reason as "hipster". Pretty much everyone is "woke" these days :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/19 at 10:53 am

What do you guys think about Woke Culture?

Lately i have been hearing more and more about it
Never heard of it!

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/26/19 at 12:26 pm

I basically am an adherent of work culture. I haven’t eaten beef in about a year. I’m working on starting to boycott Chinese products.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/19 at 12:42 pm

I basically am an adherent of work culture. I haven’t eaten beef in about a year. I’m working on starting to boycott Chinese products.
The last time I had steak, I regretted it, so that is of my list now.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/19 at 2:38 pm

like Chinese Food?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/19 at 2:50 pm

like Chinese Food?
Too much MSG!

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/26/19 at 5:03 pm

like Chinese Food?

That’s one of ‘em, yeah.

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/19 at 5:08 pm

Never heard of it!

"Woke" means "aware", as in politically aware (as opposed to complacent). It can also be used ironically, for someone who believes in conspiracy theories you can tell them to "stay woke".

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/19 at 5:27 pm

That’s one of ‘em, yeah.

Wait... so you won't eat at Chinese restaurants?  ??? That seems quite unfair... I doubt most ordinary Chinese contribute in any way to what's happening in Xinjiang/Tibet/Hong Kong; China is a dictatorship.

Written By: thisismelemon on 11/26/19 at 5:30 pm

This thread seems to be going nowhere. The mods can delete it if they so wish

Written By: annimal on 11/26/19 at 6:09 pm

I don't eat woke

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/26/19 at 7:23 pm

Wait... so you won't eat at Chinese restaurants?  ??? That seems quite unfair... I doubt most ordinary Chinese contribute in any way to what's happening in Xinjiang/Tibet/Hong Kong; China is a dictatorship.

Immigrants often send money home, and I’m not about to economically support that, even indirectly. It may seem unfair, but so is what the Hong Kongers and Uighurs are going through.

Written By: annimal on 11/26/19 at 9:08 pm

I love eating Chinese food

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/26/19 at 10:41 pm

While the 'Woke' aspects of the authoritarian left (in which, back in the early-mid 2010s, we simply just called these people 'SJWS', but I digress) is problematic in the discourse of controversial issues, I do think that the strongest detractors to 'wokeism' appear to be just as toxic. Aka, the 'anti-sjws'/blatant right-wing figures, that just use this term to demean all political talking points left of the (American) political center.

Person A, passionately: "We should be like the rest of the modern world and have universal healthcare!"

Person B, smugly: "Heh.... wow, yeah like you're so 'Woke', heh"

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/19 at 1:43 am

"Woke" means "aware", as in politically aware (as opposed to complacent). It can also be used ironically, for someone who believes in conspiracy theories you can tell them to "stay woke".
Thank you for the info.

Written By: rapplepop on 11/27/19 at 7:13 pm

Damn but steak is so good.

It is horrible for the environment though. A pound of beef requires like 12,000 gallons of water or something similarly ridiculous to produce.  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/28/19 at 6:37 am

Damn but steak is so good.

It is horrible for the environment though. A pound of beef requires like 12,000 gallons of water or something similarly ridiculous to produce.  :o

But you also get leather products as well as bone meal and other substances that form the basis of Jell-O. There’s not much waste in beef operation. Everything gets recycled.

Without beef, where are we gonna get the material for leather car seats?  The alternative is vinyl fabric made from crude oil.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/28/19 at 10:13 am

But you also get leather products as well as bone meal and other substances that form the basis of Jell-O. There’s not much waste in beef operation. Everything gets recycled.

Without beef, where are we gonna get the material for leather car seats?  The alternative is vinyl fabric made from crude oil.

With beef you also get methane. Also it is possible to synthesize all of the materials you just mentioned from other materials.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/28/19 at 1:23 pm

With beef you also get methane. Also it is possible to synthesize all of the materials you just mentioned from other materials.

Methane... all the better. Burns much more cleanly than the other fossil fuels.

All we gotta do is to build methane collection systems into the cattle containment buildings.

I live on top of the Marcellus and Utica methane formations. My part of the country is BOOMING thanks to methane (as well as the the ethane, propane, and butane coming out of those wells).  8)

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/28/19 at 3:14 pm

Methane... all the better. Burns much more cleanly than the other fossil fuels.

That's straight up untrue: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/6466890/Methane-impact-on-global-warming-much-greater-than-thought.html

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/28/19 at 4:43 pm

It has good intentions but most of the time people say the most dumbass stuff thinking it's "woke" enough and just leads to a bunch of virtue signaling.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/28/19 at 7:34 pm

That's straight up untrue: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/6466890/Methane-impact-on-global-warming-much-greater-than-thought.html

You’re saying methane does not burn as clean as coal or oil? ???

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/29/19 at 5:45 am

I’m saying methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. Also coal emits methane itself. Just read the damn article.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/27/22 at 10:18 am

Sometimes it is an actual thing where directors or developers or whoever try really hard to force a political agenda and it can get a bit out of hand but 99% of the time this phrase comes up there is no such thing and it's just some lowlife who hates seeing minorities or gay people or what not in a new video game or movie. It's basically a dog whistle for bigotry nowadays.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/22 at 2:12 pm

Sometimes it is an actual thing where directors or developers or whoever try really hard to force a political agenda and it can get a bit out of hand but 99% of the time this phrase comes up there is no such thing and it's just some lowlife who hates seeing minorities or gay people or what not in a new video game or movie. It's basically a dog whistle for bigotry nowadays.

I forget What does "woke" mean again? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/27/22 at 2:40 pm

Yes, it indeed can be, but nonetheless a lot of woke NONSENSE actually does go on. In fact the silliness of it gets so extreme that you have people traditionally to the left Like Bill Maher, and people on the right like Fox's Greg Gutfeld, actually AGREEING on many talking points of woke silliness. Like videos  that can be seen of affluent white women screaming at working class African-American police officers (both male and female) that they are being "racist", etc. for doing their job at riots, protests and the like. Well, if nothing else, wokeism seems to be uniting both sides.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/22 at 4:06 pm

I REALLY, REALLY hate the term. It is used as a derogatory term for "the other"-or someone who doesn't believe as you do.

Cat

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/28/22 at 1:03 am

Yes, it indeed can be, but nonetheless a lot of woke NONSENSE actually does go on. In fact the silliness of it gets so extreme that you have people traditionally to the left Like Bill Maher, and people on the right like Fox's Greg Gutfeld, actually AGREEING on many talking points of woke silliness. Like videos  that can be seen of affluent white women screaming at working class African-American police officers (both male and female) that they are being "racist", etc. for doing their job at riots, protests and the like. Well, if nothing else, wokeism seems to be uniting both sides.  ;D

Yeah that's what I said, sometimes something actually is woke and it's obvious it's just most of the time I see it, it's used its basically people who don't like seeing a certain demographic in something.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/31/22 at 2:46 pm

I REALLY, REALLY hate the term. It is used as a derogatory term for "the other"-or someone who doesn't believe as you do.

Cat

Former ex-President Barack O’Bama called out the woke culture a few years ago.

qaHLd8de6nM

Check for new replies or respond here...