inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The End of YouTube - January 2020

Written By: Slim95 on 11/21/19 at 9:22 pm

YouTube is rolling out new policies because of COPPA's new laws. This is gonna devastatingly affect creators and I predict this will be the nail in the coffin for YouTube, it will have no choice but to die. It's so bad, that COPPA's new vague policy forces a creator to mark their video as either kid-friendly or not and if they determine it was inappropriately flagged (using their vague policy) the creator themselves, not YouTube, but the actual video creator can be charged up to $47,000 per video...  :o There is no way small content creators can stay on the platform given this. Another new policy is YouTube will shut down smaller channels that are not making them any money and are not monetizing. This is all coming up in December/January... I think this is honestly the end of YouTube this is gonna hurt so many creators, this change in policy is drastic.

BG6IesWqvg0

Subject: Re: The End of YouTube - January 2020

Written By: annimal on 11/21/19 at 9:30 pm

So we're talking about creators.  I know things are and still are getting crazy.

Subject: The End of YouTube - January 2020

Written By: Dude111 on 11/22/19 at 6:25 am

Youtube has been crap since Google took it over!!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 11/22/19 at 7:13 am

Over the past 13 years I have enjoyed YouTube and it's been my place to look up almost anything but I just hope it doesn't shut down for good.  :(

Written By: mqg96 on 11/22/19 at 9:31 am

When Google Plus took over in 2013, it was hard to get adjusted to, but we eventually got used to it, but 2019 has been the absolute worst year for YouTube ever. I can't think of any year in YouTube history that's been worse than this one. The new policies as already mentioned. The fact that the site is watering down so hard to appeal to little kids when YouTube was originally never a kid site, YouTube was originally for ages 13+ only. YouTube took away the Google Hangouts. You can no longer private message your subscribers, friends, or chat with people on their YouTube channel. I mean seriously. YouTube has become a complete joke this year.

Written By: annimal on 11/22/19 at 11:29 am

I need YouTube to see how much I can still hear.  If You Tube isn't going to be around any more then  I ought to just write a list of songs on paper.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/19 at 2:01 pm

When Google Plus took over in 2013, it was hard to get adjusted to, but we eventually got used to it, but 2019 has been the absolute worst year for YouTube ever. I can't think of any year in YouTube history that's been worse than this one. The new policies as already mentioned. The fact that the site is watering down so hard to appeal to little kids when YouTube was originally never a kid site, YouTube was originally for ages 13+ only. YouTube took away the Google Hangouts. You can no longer private message your subscribers, friends, or chat with people on their YouTube channel. I mean seriously. YouTube has become a complete joke this year.

I never got into Google Plus, What was the purpose of it anyway?  ::)

Written By: annimal on 11/22/19 at 8:09 pm

good question

Written By: 2001 on 11/23/19 at 2:18 pm

Personally I am happy that YouTube is doing a better job of protecting children. I don't think this will be as dramatic as the video makes it out to be. With a heavy fine like that, I hope people err on the side of caution and make their videos unavailable to children if they think there's anything potentially inappropriate.

Another thing YouTube needs to tackle is clickbait titles, fr.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/23/19 at 4:36 pm

Does this mean that the videos of people lighting their farts and guys taking stupid nut shots will have to be taken down? ???

Written By: annimal on 11/23/19 at 4:44 pm

I think there's more people who are complaining and making things seem worse for them then it may turn out.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/23/19 at 5:45 pm

Personally I am happy that YouTube is doing a better job of protecting children. I don't think this will be as dramatic as the video makes it out to be. With a heavy fine like that, I hope people err on the side of caution and make their videos unavailable to children if they think there's anything potentially inappropriate.

What dude you're kidding right? This is a horrible thing for anyone who makes videos and is unjust. The policies are extremely vague... $42,000 for an average person making vidoes? PER VIDEO. That's not YOUTube anymore, that's TheirTube. YouTube and that law is absolutely horrible, this is worse than anything they ever did in the past. It's YouTube's fault for collecting data from kids, not content creators... Content creators don't collect data, they make videos. They shouldn't be held responsible or babysit or do a job that PARENTS need to do or be held responsible for YouTube's shady tactics. Kids under 13 are not even supposed to be on YouTube... Content providers are not network TV creators... They are average people doing it as a hobby and some for a living. This law is from 1998... An outdated law that does not take into account the way we consume data today. A law for TV programs. A law that was made before YouTube existed..

Written By: Slim95 on 11/23/19 at 5:46 pm

Does this mean that the videos of people lighting their farts and guys taking stupid nut shots will have to be taken down? ???

Stupid videos like that will probably lose a lot of features like no comments, no monetization, no nothing if they deem it as "made for kids".

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/23/19 at 6:27 pm

I guess we will see. Although YouTube survived high-cost litigation with a major content creator back in the day, so their resilience may remain surprising.

Written By: Sman12 on 11/23/19 at 9:22 pm

I really wish sites like Minds and BitChute become more popular than YT at this point. At least they have more freedom for content creators.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/23/19 at 11:41 pm

I really wish sites like Minds and BitChute become more popular than YT at this point. At least they have more freedom for content creators.

Yeah me too

Written By: Howard on 11/24/19 at 4:14 am

I've definitely seen a lot of those clickbait titles.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/24/19 at 6:47 am

Perhaps this opens up an opportunity for ChuckyG.  ???

Would be cool if InThe00s allowed people to post video content like YouTube does.  8)

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/24/19 at 6:49 am

No, you don't; if they start getting more attention, they end up raising the ire of major corporations who can threaten copyright enforcement against them.

Written By: 2001 on 11/24/19 at 7:50 am

What dude you're kidding right? This is a horrible thing for anyone who makes videos and is unjust. The policies are extremely vague... $42,000 for an average person making vidoes? PER VIDEO. That's not YOUTube anymore, that's TheirTube. YouTube and that law is absolutely horrible, this is worse than anything they ever did in the past. It's YouTube's fault for collecting data from kids, not content creators... Content creators don't collect data, they make videos. They shouldn't be held responsible or babysit or do a job that PARENTS need to do or be held responsible for YouTube's shady tactics. Kids under 13 are not even supposed to be on YouTube... Content providers are not network TV creators... They are average people doing it as a hobby and some for a living. This law is from 1998... An outdated law that does not take into account the way we consume data today. A law for TV programs. A law that was made before YouTube existed..

If your video is not appropriate for kids then mark it as such and keep making videos and keep making money. I don't see what the big deal is. I just hope they don't remove old videos.

Also I doubt the payout will be anywhere near $42000. Don't fall for clickbait.

Written By: shadowcookie on 11/24/19 at 5:56 pm

Children should either stay on YouTube Kids, or their parents should be more diligent in monitoring their online activity. Or alternatively, just don’t let kids use YouTube full stop.

I’m getting sick and tired of everything online being excessively moderated or sanitised for the sake of children. It isn’t the job of content creators to make sure your brats aren’t watching ‘inappropriate’ videos. That’s your bloody job.

A lot of content creators are switching to Twitch recently - issues with monetisation were a big reason but this will be another nail in the coffin for YouTube. At this point it deserves to die, it’s a shadow of its former self.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/24/19 at 6:38 pm

This is a law by the FTC they specifically said that.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/24/19 at 7:03 pm

Oh, the FTC? Huh, that’s an agency under the purview of Joseph Simons, who was appointed by *looks it up*... President Trump. Fancy that.

Written By: annimal on 11/24/19 at 9:02 pm

woah! I couldn't have just read that right

Written By: mqg96 on 11/24/19 at 10:14 pm

For those who really care, here's a petition on change DOT org.

https://www.change.org/p/the-federal-trade-commission-youtubers-and-viewers-unite-9045ee7f-f6f0-460e-b088-3429209dd7c6?recruiter=1015502725&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/24/19 at 11:06 pm

This worries me a bit. I'm a YouTube Creator myself and I have over 2,000 videos uploaded onto my channel. All of them are appropriate for kids (they are news recordings off TV), but because i'm not monetised, i'm worried that YouTube may decide to shut my channel down due to it not making them any money. I've actually been in the process of uploading all of my videos onto Archive.Org over the past 11 months or so, as at least they won't be at risk of being removed due to copyright restrictions. I just don't feel like archiving 2,000 videos in the next two weeks though (up until 10th December). :P

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 11/24/19 at 11:23 pm

This worries me a bit. I'm a YouTube Creator myself and I have over 2,000 videos uploaded onto my channel. All of them are appropriate for kids (they are news recordings off TV), but because i'm not monetised, i'm worried that YouTube may decide to shut my channel down due to it not making them any money. I've actually been in the process of uploading all of my videos onto Archive.Org over the past 11 months or so, as at least they won't be at risk of being removed due to copyright restrictions. I just don't feel like archiving 2,000 videos in the next two weeks though (up until 10th December). :P

Same!! YouTube is a career I have been pursuing for a year and a half! And now all the hard work I put in to my videos, how I made myself and people happy, are all gonna be gone! This is pissing me off  >:( >:( >:(

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/25/19 at 7:35 am

If your video is not appropriate for kids then mark it as such and keep making videos and keep making money. I don't see what the big deal is. I just hope they don't remove old videos.

But I don’t think you truly understand the
implications of this policy. If they enforce this policy heavily going into the 2020s, it will be even more easy for the platform to suppress certain segments of speech that may go against YouTube’s incentives. We have seen a major rise in the last few years of copyright strikes, channel terminations, videos flagged for controversial topics, etc. etc.

I guess that’s the divide here, some people are not genuinely troubled by the mass amount of power these social media companies have incurred and use (either directly or indirectly) in changing cultural norms because they see it as a net positive at the end of the day (“the ends always justify the means”). While others see these means of creating something that is allegedly ‘just’, as a blatant assault of humanity’s most basic civil liberties and a way to extract more power and influence. I don’t know if I entirely trust YouTube, especially for the true ‘authoritarian-like’ colors the platform has revealed to us in the last few years via various ‘Ad-Apocalypses’ in dictating what is ‘child friendly’ or not.

Written By: 2001 on 11/25/19 at 11:56 am

This is a law by the FTC they specifically said that.

Then it's even less likely to happen, considering they didn't care what YouTube was up to until now.

But I don’t think you truly understand the
implications of this policy. If they enforce this policy heavily going into the 2020s, it will be even more easy for the platform to suppress certain segments of speech that may go against YouTube’s incentives. We have seen a major rise in the last few years of copyright strikes, channel terminations, videos flagged for controversial topics, etc. etc.

I guess that’s the divide here, some people are not genuinely troubled by the mass amount of power these social media companies have incurred and use (either directly or indirectly) in changing cultural norms because they see it as a net positive at the end of the day (“the ends always justify the means”). While others see these means of creating something that is allegedly ‘just’, as a blatant assault of humanity’s most basic civil liberties and a way to extract more power and influence. I don’t know if I entirely trust YouTube, especially for the true ‘authoritarian-like’ colors the platform has revealed to us in the last few years via various ‘Ad-Apocalypses’ in dictating what is ‘child friendly’ or not.

I know what you're trying to say with respect to tech companies having too much power over speech, but this is YouTube complying to government regulations, so is actually a counterexample to tech companies having too much power.

Overall you guys are not seeing the huge benefits here. The comment section will finally be disabled on most videos, that's amazing. And less kids on it too ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 11/25/19 at 5:27 pm

Overall you guys are not seeing the huge benefits here. The comment section will finally be disabled on most videos, that's amazing. And less kids on it too ;D

The comment section being disabled is NOT a benefit at all. That's a big disadvantage and part of the death of YouTube. The comment section gives YouTube users a chance to interact with each other, give their thoughts on videos, and find each other on YouTube and sub to each other, or even PM each other. Comments on YouTube allows the video maker to understand where he or she needs to improvement and might give them advice. Who gives af what a kid thinks on the YouTube comment section, and like I said before, YouTube was originally for 13 & up, never for 12 & under, granted, I started getting on YouTube regularly when I was 11, but even at that age I had common sense on YouTube despite my immaturity back then.

Written By: annimal on 11/25/19 at 5:46 pm

I'd like to know if people like what videos I  up or if they suck. 

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/25/19 at 6:57 pm

The comment section gives YouTube users a chance to interact with each other, give their thoughts on videos

You are talking about actually the worst part of YouTube.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/25/19 at 6:59 pm

If creators cannot have comments opened and cannot get monetized anymore, they will not make anymore videos because it would be useless... The whole point of YouTube is interacting with people in the comments it is a social media website after all.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/25/19 at 7:19 pm

Then it's even less likely to happen, considering they didn't care what YouTube was up to until now.

True, but I wouldn't put it pas them though.

I know what you're trying to say with respect to tech companies having too much power over speech, but this is YouTube complying to government regulations, so is actually a counterexample to tech companies having too much power.

True, but that's the whole point. COPPA was written and passed into law back in 1998, several years before YouTube was launched, and definitely within an era when the idea or concept of a mass site that allowed people to upload and share videos, was unfathomable to much of the general public. Even those that drafted this policy couldn't foresee how integral the internet would become in our daily lives. I'm not sure how advanced internet capabilities were in Canada, but here in the States we were still solidly within the 'Web 1.0' era of the internet. It was merely just a service for people to do research on, not this reckoning force for information & entertainment that it is known as today.

Thus, to apply massively dated regulation standards, like COPPA, regarding issues pertaining to censorship in our day & age doesn't make much sense. If YouTube was really serious about 'thinking about the children', then why don't representatives from their site just lobby U.S Congress in passing strict regulations on how media platforms have to structure their algorithms to children?

While I would personally think a policy like that would still be immensely draconian, it does make a lot more logical sense, rather than applying dated regulations in trying to 'protect children', which would ultimately just make things worse.

One of many reasons why I believe that much of these social media sites need to either be broken up or to have 'neo-internet bills of rights' that treat these conglomerates as public entities for free expression. Either or, this would require a federal government that is willing to fight for anti-trust litigation and fight for the rights, liberties, & privacy of people across the globe.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/25/19 at 7:23 pm

True, but I wouldn't put it pas them though.

True, but that's the whole point. COPPA was written and passed into law back in 1998, several years before YouTube was launched, and definitely within an era when the idea or concept of a mass site that allowed people to upload and share videos, was unfathomable to much of the general public. Even those that drafted this policy couldn't foresee how integral the internet would become in our daily lives. I'm not sure how advanced internet capabilities were in Canada, but here in the States we were still solidly within the 'Web 1.0' era of the internet. It was merely just a service for people to do research on, not this reckoning force for information & entertainment that it is known as today.

Thus, to apply massively dated regulation standards, like COPPA, regarding issues pertaining to censorship in our day & age doesn't make much sense. If YouTube was really serious about 'thinking about the children', then why don't representatives from their site just lobby U.S Congress in passing strict regulations on how media platforms have to structure their algorithms to children?

While I would personally think a policy like that would still be immensely draconian, it does make a lot more logical sense, rather than applying dated regulations in trying to 'protect children', which would ultimately just make things worse.

One of many reasons why I believe that much of these social media sites need to either be broken up or to have 'neo-internet bills of rights' that treat these conglomerates as public entities for free expression. Either or, this would require a federal government that is willing to fight for anti-trust litigation and fight for the rights, liberties, & privacy of people across the globe.

Yeah they're using "protecting the children" as an excuse to make money or to censor videos that goes against their own political agenda. It's nothing more than a money grab. They are using children for their shady tactics, almost worse than even just collecting data on them like YT did.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/25/19 at 7:28 pm

That's your suggestive opinion. It depends on the specific channel you follow. There's multiple, different types of communities all over YouTube with different target audiences. The comments you may see surrounding a user who gives his thoughts on sports might be completely different than a girl who discusses about makeup or fashion all day. Sure there are toxic comment sections that exist, but you also have a lot of YouTubers who don't tolerate that, and they are sincere about their thoughts and want other people's opinions on their comment section. A lot of YouTubers who put their type and effort into videos feel some type of way about this along with many other issues.

Written By: annimal on 11/25/19 at 11:07 pm

Like I said I want to know if what I put up sucks or not.  I'm not talking about having some thread to talk about makeup. I'm with letting people vote on my stuff or something like that.  I don't really want a thread or something like that where people can talk about anything they want to.  They can come here or something

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/26/19 at 3:25 am

How would disabling comments be an advantage? Many comments sections are toxic but no one is forcing anyone to look at them. Involuntarily disabling comments inhibits discussion and takes the fun out of watching videos for many users.

I miss the old 2005 - 2009 YT more than ever now.

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/26/19 at 3:28 am

There's this comedian on YouTube "KevOnStage" who had an issue with his comment being disabled involuntarily and its already discouraged me from going to his channel as frequently because I know I will not be able to comment on how funny he is or read other funny comments under his videos. I don't think it's a good idea if that's the way things are gonna be.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/19 at 7:29 am

What do you create for children?

Written By: Howard on 11/26/19 at 7:31 am

Why is that the worst part?

Written By: Howard on 11/26/19 at 7:32 am

If creators cannot have comments opened and cannot get monetized anymore, they will not make anymore videos because it would be useless... The whole point of YouTube is interacting with people in the comments it is a social media website after all.

I use the comment section all the time.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/26/19 at 7:55 am

Why is that the worst part?

The hate, vitriol, and plain ignorance it has been allowed to spread is a massive contributor to growing bigotry and lack of critical thinking in the real world.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/19 at 2:44 pm

The hate, vitriol, and plain ignorance it has been allowed to spread is a massive contributor to growing bigotry and lack of critical thinking in the real world.

But the people are allowed to speak their peace in the comment section.

Written By: annimal on 11/26/19 at 4:16 pm

yes, but we don't need a bunch of other stuff ending up in the comment section.  How can comments be kept to just our videos?  This is why I just say a voting section.  I can tell them they can talk to me here.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/26/19 at 5:02 pm

But the people are allowed to speak their peace in the comment section.

Tolerance of intolerance just allows intolerance to flourish, and eventually the intolerant prey upon the tolerant. We’re seeing it in the wider world already. There’s no need to give voice to senseless bigotry and ignorance.

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/19 at 5:14 pm

The comment section being disabled is NOT a benefit at all. That's a big disadvantage and part of the death of YouTube. The comment section gives YouTube users a chance to interact with each other, give their thoughts on videos, and find each other on YouTube and sub to each other, or even PM each other. Comments on YouTube allows the video maker to understand where he or she needs to improvement and might give them advice. Who gives af what a kid thinks on the YouTube comment section, and like I said before, YouTube was originally for 13 & up, never for 12 & under, granted, I started getting on YouTube regularly when I was 11, but even at that age I had common sense on YouTube despite my immaturity back then.

Maybe I'm watching the wrong videos, but I have never seen many intelligent YouTube comments. I watch mainly tech and food videos too. The gang of children makes me even less inclined to join the conversation, I wish we could curate the comment section by age. I don't want to see comments by under 18 year olds, and I don't want under 18 year olds to see my comments either; that might be a better way to comply with COPPA than disabling it altogether maybe.

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/19 at 5:18 pm

How would disabling comments be an advantage? Many comments sections are toxic but no one is forcing anyone to look at them. Involuntarily disabling comments inhibits discussion and takes the fun out of watching videos for many users.

I miss the old 2005 - 2009 YT more than ever now.

Well, on one hand nothing of value for me would be lost, and second of all, kids (who have less self-control and less recognition that YouTube comments are garbage) will not be exposed to them either which is good for society at large. And best of all, kids won't be able to comment on adult-oriented videos either, which makes me more enthusiastic about this change than frightened of it.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/26/19 at 5:49 pm

Tolerance of intolerance just allows intolerance to flourish, and eventually the intolerant prey upon the tolerant. We’re seeing it in the wider world already. There’s no need to give voice to senseless bigotry and ignorance.

Freedom of speech is good. Let the intolerant speak, and let the tolerant speak. Silencing people is a big No.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/26/19 at 7:25 pm

Freedom of speech is good. Let the intolerant speak, and let the tolerant speak. Silencing people is a big No.

We have literally learned from experience that there are limits such as what I described above. I present you with Exhibit A:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite_the_Right_rally

Written By: Slim95 on 11/26/19 at 7:27 pm

We have literally learned from experience that there are limits such as what I described above. I present you with Exhibit A:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite_the_Right_rally

Let them rally. They're only making fools out of themselves. But the minute you try to censor speech, you end up sinking to their level and making a fool out of your own self. Communism is never the answer for fascism.

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/19 at 7:44 pm

Let them rally. They're only making fools out of themselves. But the minute you try to censor speech, you end up sinking to their level and making a fool out of your own self. Communism is never the answer for fascism.

Wait... didn't you say you were a communist a couple years back?

But anyway, pressuring companies with the threat of boycott (voting with your dollars) is capitalism not communism.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/26/19 at 8:13 pm

But anyway, pressuring companies with the threat of boycott (voting with your dollars) is capitalism not communism.

Also history has just simply shown that being tolerant of intolerance just gives the intolerant enough power to start silencing others. Doesn’t seem very productive to me.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/26/19 at 9:24 pm

Also history has just simply shown that being tolerant of intolerance just gives the intolerant enough power to start silencing others. Doesn’t seem very productive to me.

Then that means you concede in admitting that we can never reach tolerance.

Because it’s a self-defeating principle. What you’re already proposing could be interpreted as ‘intolerant’, because you’re not tolerant in the bare minimum of allowing a differing view point (regardless of how large) to be discussed. Also, it shows that even if you genuinely believed that your views were objectively tolerant, you concede that in despite of what is truly tolerant, “intolerance will win in the long run”, for the mere existence of intolerant ideas. In short, it becomes a circular intellectual dilemma where, based on your world view, tolerance merely does not exist. It is not found in human nature in its raw forms, and can never naturally be conceived. It’s only something that can vaguely exist, if and only if an overarching hegemonic power had the ability and the will to oversee that people were not stepping out of line.

And to be quite frank, I find that to be just as scary of a viewpoint as those that are actively (& proudly) proclaiming their intolerance (the Unite The Right movement, as an example).

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/19 at 9:53 pm

Then that means you concede in admitting that we can never reach tolerance.

Because it’s a self-defeating principle. What you’re already proposing could be interpreted as ‘intolerant’, because you’re not tolerant in the bare minimum of allowing a differing view point (regardless of how large) to be discussed. Also, it shows that even if you genuinely believed that your views were objectively tolerant, you concede that in despite of what is truly tolerant, “intolerance will win in the long run”, for the mere existence of intolerant ideas. In short, it becomes a circular intellectual dilemma where, based on your world view, tolerance merely does not exist. It is not found in human nature in its raw forms, and can never naturally be conceived. It’s only something that can vaguely exist, if and only if an overarching hegemonic power had the ability and the will to oversee that people were not stepping out of line.

And to be quite frank, I find that to be just as scary of a viewpoint as those that are actively (& proudly) proclaiming their intolerance (the Unite The Right movement, as an example).

The name for what you're talking about is called the tolerance paradox. You can't preach tolerance of intolerance, it's a logical contradiction.

My personal belief is we stop preaching "tolerance" as a virtue and get rid of the dumb YouTube comment section ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/26/19 at 10:34 pm

The name for what you're talking about is called the tolerance paradox. You can't preach tolerance of intolerance, it's a logical contradiction.

My personal belief is we stop preaching "tolerance" as a virtue and get rid of the dumb YouTube comment section ;D

Thank you lol. But that can also be applied inversely, does it not? And yeah, hence why I'm not the biggest fan of the use of 'tolerance' either, because who's to say my personal beliefs are any less or more moral than someone else's?

That is a big reason why I'm a proponent of the YouTube comment section, for better or for worse, allow the public to express their discord and use that to sway public opinion on certain issues. Freedom of speech is a double-edge sword, correct, but even a sword can have a duller side and a sharper side. Use your voice to sharpen your views by engaging with people from the other side (or multiple sides). I mean hell, we're doing exactly that right here in this thread, and I think it's beautiful :).

Written By: Slim95 on 11/26/19 at 11:29 pm

Thank you lol. But that can also be applied inversely, does it not? And yeah, hence why I'm not the biggest fan of the use of 'tolerance' either, because who's to say my personal beliefs are any less or more moral than someone else's?

That is a big reason why I'm a proponent of the YouTube comment section, for better or for worse, allow the public to express their discord and use that to sway public opinion on certain issues. Freedom of speech is a double-edge sword, correct, but even a sword can have a duller side and a sharper side. Use your voice to sharpen your views by engaging with people from the other side (or multiple sides). I mean hell, we're doing exactly that right here in this thread, and I think it's beautiful :).

I agree. I'm a huge proponent for the right to freedom of speech. No government or entity should silence the voice of the people.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/26/19 at 11:32 pm

I have changed a lot since then and grew up. If I ever said that I deeply regret it lol.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/19 at 4:25 am

Maybe I'm watching the wrong videos, but I have never seen many intelligent YouTube comments. I watch mainly tech and food videos too. The gang of children makes me even less inclined to join the conversation, I wish we could curate the comment section by age. I don't want to see comments by under 18 year olds, and I don't want under 18 year olds to see my comments either; that might be a better way to comply with COPPA than disabling it altogether maybe.

I'm subscribed to a bunch of channels.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/27/19 at 4:38 am

I weep for humanity.

Written By: 2001 on 11/27/19 at 7:51 am

If YouTube was moderated like inthe00s I wouldn't mind. You can be banned for being uncivil/rude on here, it's not true for YouTube.

I remember my brother went through a right-wing phase (his ideology changes every week depending on the YouTube algorithm), and he posted on a right wing video and got a reply like "people like you can't be trusted, you are traitors by blood". I was more disappointed that my brother posted on YouTube at all than the fact he got that comment, as I think we can all agree that is the average expected IQ of a YouTube comment. You would get banned for personal attacks like that on inthe00s but not on YouTube.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/19 at 7:53 am

If YouTube was moderated like inthe00s I wouldn't mind. You can be banned for being uncivil/rude on here, it's not true for YouTube.
One thing comes to mind, YouTube is big, very big, so many a mod will be required?

Written By: 2001 on 11/27/19 at 8:00 am

One thing comes to mind, YouTube is big, very big, so many a mod will be required?

Thats why it's good the comments are being disabled for kids :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/19 at 8:10 am

...or proof of adulthood for posting comments?

Written By: 2001 on 11/27/19 at 8:13 am

...or proof of adulthood for posting comments?

That would be even better but could be a privacy risk. In South Korea you need to give a sort of ID Number (that everyone has) before signing up on any website. Korean Internet isn't much better compared to Western Internet in my experience though ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/19 at 8:18 am

That would be even better but could be a privacy risk. In South Korea you need to give a sort of ID Number (that everyone has) before signing up on any website. Korean Internet isn't much better compared to Western Internet in my experience though ;D
How secure is the Korean ID Number?

Written By: 2001 on 11/27/19 at 8:20 am

How secure is the Korean ID Number?

I think it's not a big deal if other people know your ID number. You're socially expected to know your wife's ID number like you know her birthday, for example. But it is still a unique identifier, and people do expect some level of anonymity on the Internet.

Written By: 2001 on 11/27/19 at 8:24 am

Apparently after 2013 websites were banned from taking ID numbers in South Korea after a hacking incident where a bunch of IDs were leaked, so I'm way out of touch. It was almost universal in the early 2010s though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/19 at 8:53 am

Apparently after 2013 websites were banned from taking ID numbers in South Korea after a hacking incident where a bunch of IDs were leaked, so I'm way out of touch. It was almost universal in the early 2010s though.
It failed?

Can there ever be a true way, for ID was a consideration for accessing certain websites in the UK for proof of over 18 to view them, and the idea was turned down.

Written By: 2001 on 11/27/19 at 8:56 am

It failed?

Can there ever be a true way, for ID was a consideration for accessing certain websites in the UK for proof of over 18 to view them, and the idea was turned down.

Maybe if there was a app that generates a unique ID every minute and then discards it and gives a new one, kind of like Google Authenticator.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/19 at 9:01 am

Maybe if there was a app that generates a unique ID every minute and then discards it and gives a new one, kind of like Google Authenticator.
Possible, the technology is out there? No doubt, employing the IP Address for the computer is out, for some home computers have different users in one household.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/27/19 at 9:21 am

I remember my brother went through a right-wing phase (his ideology changes every week depending on the YouTube algorithm), and he posted on a right wing video and got a reply like "people like you can't be trusted, you are traitors by blood". I was more disappointed that my brother posted on YouTube at all than the fact he got that comment, as I think we can all agree that is the average expected IQ of a YouTube comment. You would get banned for personal attacks like that on inthe00s but not on YouTube.

Unpopular opinion, but I’m going to say it anyway. Hopefully the moderators don’t get angry

But I actually am not the biggest fan of some of the recent bans of some users from inThe00’s. Now I’m not fully well versed on the entire scope of the situations, but from my general understanding, I do think that (at least sometimes) we do rush to judgement too quickly on the misconduct of certain users. What I was referring to before was more on the lines of our own conversation and how we’re able to agree to disagree in a respectful matter. I was not referring to how the discourse is being handled by inThe00’s at large.

But still though, I do agree that there has been a particular rise in radicalization in our politics, and this can be attributed, in large part, to how the algorithm on certain social media websites caters their clientele’s content to their search history. However, if you find this problematic (I do to some extent as well), then it would be a lot more manageable for there to be anti-trust litigation/legislation to break down these major social media conglomerates. Also, by treating these places of expression as public utilities, you can apply legal standards of what can be described as legal free speech or not (you could theoretically break this up by jurisdiction as well).

From a U.S standpoint; Liable, slander, threats of violence, and (in most cases) racism/bigotry are the main exceptions of what I typically levy in what can be considered free speech. If these companies were much smaller and treated as public utilities, it would be much easier to regulate speech as such.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/27/19 at 10:11 am

Unpopular opinion, but I’m going to say it anyway. Hopefully the moderators don’t get angry

But I actually am not the biggest fan of some of the recent bans of some users from inThe00’s.

You *might* have a point.

Titor was given the old heave-hoe here at InThe00s, while at another web forum (the name of which I dare not mention) she’s somewhat of a heavy hitter, posting unfettered.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/27/19 at 11:17 am

They somehow find time for all of those DMCA copyright takedown notices, surely they can fit a little comment moderation into their busy schedule.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/19 at 11:49 am

They somehow find time for all of those DMCA copyright takedown notices, surely they can fit a little comment moderation into their busy schedule.
Probably keywords are highlighted when inputted on to the website?

Written By: Slim95 on 11/27/19 at 12:04 pm

And hundreds of creators losing their jobs and losing interactions with their followers? Not good at all. The policy is extremely vague. Many adults enjoy gaming videos, not just kids. And those comments will be disabled, their video will be demonitized, so the creator is punished over YouTube's irresponsibility... They lose all interaction talking with people on their videos. How is that fair?

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/27/19 at 1:20 pm

Just when I thought the 2020s were gonna be better, this happens.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/27/19 at 2:34 pm

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! WHAT SHALL WE DO?!?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/27/19 at 2:36 pm

Just when I thought the 2020s were gonna be better, this happens.

Yeah, it's honestly unfortunate when you look online. However, the so-called 'Culture War' has been dying down in the last couple of years or so. Don't pay attention to the loud minority's of either side (aka, the 'Keyboard Warriors'), look at the vast American public. It seems like both left wingers and right wingers are finally starting to ban together in the fight againstwait for it....., the Establishment.

Aka, those in power that have been screwing with most of us for years.

"Divide and Conquer" 101. That was what the privileged and powerful did to us for much of the mid-late 2010s, by having us divided on social issues (SJWs vs the 'Alt Right', 'Gamergate', Ghostbusters, etc. etc.). Enough is enough now, people are genuinely tired of this bs.

Written By: 2001 on 11/27/19 at 4:08 pm

But I actually am not the biggest fan of some of the recent bans of some users from inThe00’s. Now I’m not fully well versed on the entire scope of the situations, but from my general understanding, I do think that (at least sometimes) we do rush to judgement too quickly on the misconduct of certain users. What I was referring to before was more on the lines of our own conversation and how we’re able to agree to disagree in a respectful matter. I was not referring to how the discourse is being handled by inThe00’s at large.

But still though, I do agree that there has been a particular rise in radicalization in our politics, and this can be attributed, in large part, to how the algorithm on certain social media websites caters their clientele’s content to their search history. However, if you find this problematic (I do to some extent as well), then it would be a lot more manageable for there to be anti-trust litigation/legislation to break down these major social media conglomerates. Also, by treating these places of expression as public utilities, you can apply legal standards of what can be described as legal free speech or not (you could theoretically break this up by jurisdiction as well).

From a U.S standpoint; Liable, slander, threats of violence, and (in most cases) racism/bigotry are the main exceptions of what I typically levy in what can be considered free speech. If these companies were much smaller and treated as public utilities, it would be much easier to regulate speech as such.

Problem with inthe00s is that bans can only be permanent. There's no 1/3/6 month ban. I would rather see a lot of the banned posters back (except one), but I wouldn't want to get rid of bans/moderation altogether.

To be honest, when it comes to video sharing at least (less so Facebook/Twitter), I trust the free market to figure things out. "Content creators" can easily upload their videos to multiple websites, there isn't anything tethering them to YouTube in particular. If people don't like YouTube's moderation/free speech policies they (both uploader and viewer) are free to use another website without the need to even give up YouTube. The channel can upload some of their less controversial videos on YouTube and have another website where they upload more of the racy (pun intended ;)) stuff.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/27/19 at 4:18 pm

I wanna see John Titor back. That is the only banned user on this website that I miss.

Written By: 2001 on 11/27/19 at 4:22 pm

The policy is extremely vague.

That's no excuse to interpret it in the least charitable way.

And hundreds of creators losing their jobs and losing interactions with their followers? Not good at all. Many adults enjoy gaming videos, not just kids. And those comments will be disabled, their video will be demonitized, so the creator is punished over YouTube's irresponsibility... They lose all interaction talking with people on their videos. How is that fair?

Children should not be on social media. Have you seen the state of YouTube comments? Paedophiles in the Baby Shark video put timestamps on their favourite parts. And that's just tip of the iceberg stuff. No child should be exposed to that. If people who make kid videos want feedback they can look at the view number.

There is nothing about demonetization, if I read this correctly. if your video is for kids, then kids won't receive targetted advertising, they will only receive general advertising. Adult-oriented videos will continue to have targetted advertising. All videos are still monetized if they're categorized properly. Adult-oriented videos will also still have comments – or a better way to interpret this, if you're an adult/teenager and you're among adults/teenagers, you can still comment.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/27/19 at 4:43 pm

That's no excuse to interpret it in the least charitable way.

Children should not be on social media. Have you seen the state of YouTube comments? Paedophiles in the Baby Shark video put timestamps on their favourite parts. And that's just tip of the iceberg stuff. No child should be exposed to that. If people who make kid videos want feedback they can look at the view number.

There is nothing about demonetization, if I read this correctly. if your video is for kids, then kids won't receive targetted advertising, they will only receive general advertising. Adult-oriented videos will continue to have targetted advertising. All videos are still monetized if they're categorized properly. Adult-oriented videos will also still have comments – or a better way to interpret this, if you're an adult/teenager and you're among adults/teenagers, you can still comment.

Yes there is something about demonetization... If you mark your video as for kids you cannot make money on your videos. YouTube demonetizes your videos, and the creator cannot interact with people in the comments where there are adults for example interested in gaming or anime that kids may also be interested in. Therefore many creators will simply stop making videos because they can't make money off them and can't do anything especially with a policy as vague as it is. Even a cartoon picture in the background of your video can be marked because of the vague policy. You think it's fair to penalize the creator for that?

Your argument is very flawed. It is the PARENTS job to protect their kids and keep them off a site that is made for 13 AND OVER. It is NOT the creators job to babysit your brats. Leave the creators alone. Is it our fault there are predators online? No. Parents should deal with their kids, and the police can deal with the creeps. LEAVE INNOCENT CREATORS ALONE AND OUT OF IT. They are NOT the ones collecting data from children, YouTube is doing that. The big greedy corporation, not an average Joe making videos as a hobby.

Also I do not believe what you are saying about that video... That can be children commenting. And it could be people just saying their favourite parts, not in a creepy way. Do you have any proof?

Protecting the kids is a pathetic excuse for this money grab. They are USING children to censor people's beliefs and steal money from innocent people. It's evil. They are not doing it for the kids, they are doing it for their bank accounts.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/27/19 at 5:01 pm

Sorry for yelling, but what YouTube and the government is doing is so unfair and unjust.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/27/19 at 5:01 pm

Preach.

Written By: 2001 on 11/27/19 at 5:24 pm

Yes there is something about demonetization... If you mark your video as for kids you cannot make money on your videos. YouTube demonetizes your videos, and the creator cannot interact with people in the comments where there are adults for example interested in gaming or anime that kids may also be interested in. Therefore many creators will simply stop making videos because they can't make money off them and can't do anything especially with a policy as vague as it is. Even a cartoon picture in the background of your video can be marked because of the vague policy. You think it's fair to penalize the creator for that?

Where does it say kids content will be demonetized? Over here it says they will still have advertising https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9383587?hl=en

"We will stop serving personalized ads on content that is made for kids, whether designated by you or by our classifier.  In accordance with COPPA, serving personalized ads (ads that are targeted to users based on their past usage of Google products and services) to child audiences is not permissible. If applicable, this may result in a decrease in revenue for some creators. Note that we will continue to serve non-personalized ads (ads that are shown based on context rather than on user data) on content that is made for kids."

Your argument is very flawed. It is the PARENTS job to protect their kids and keep them off a site that is made for 13 AND OVER. It is NOT the creators job to babysit your brats. Leave the creators alone. Is it our fault there are predators online? No. Parents should deal with their kids, and the police can deal with the creeps. LEAVE INNOCENT CREATORS ALONE AND OUT OF IT. They are NOT the ones collecting data from children, YouTube is doing that. The big greedy corporation, not an average Joe making videos as a hobby.

...That's what this is for. If you're not making money off kids then you can mark your video as for adults, keep comments and keep targetted advertising.

If you are making money off kids, then yes, it is your job to make appropriate content for them and mark it as such.

If you're an adult this will have zero real impact on you.

Also I do not believe what you are saying about that video... That can be children commenting. And it could be people just saying their favourite parts, not in a creepy way. Do you have any proof?

https://fox2now.com/2019/02/21/youtube-takes-action-as-advertisers-leave-following-concerns-pedophiles-exploited-the-platform/
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/world/americas/youtube-pedophiles.html

Protecting the kids is a pathetic excuse for this money grab. They are USING children to censor people's beliefs and steal money from innocent people. It's evil. They are not doing it for the kids, they are doing it for their bank accounts.

I feel like you've completely misinterpreted the changes happening here. I told you not to take clickbait literally ;D

YouTube is not making any more money. They are complying with federal regulations.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/27/19 at 5:30 pm

YouTube is not making any more money. They are complying with federal regulations.

Did I say YT is making more money? No. I said the government is. It is a cash grab.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/27/19 at 5:32 pm

Where does it say kids content will be demonetized? Over here it says they will still have advertising https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9383587?hl=en

It says the creator will not get monetized and make money, YT still will. They will receive a 30% cut.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/27/19 at 5:32 pm

"We will stop serving personalized ads on content that is made for kids, whether designated by you or by our classifier.  In accordance with COPPA, serving personalized ads (ads that are targeted to users based on their past usage of Google products and services) to child audiences is not permissible. If applicable, this may result in a decrease in revenue for some creators. Note that we will continue to serve non-personalized ads (ads that are shown based on context rather than on user data) on content that is made for kids."

...That's what this is for. If you're not making money off kids then you can mark your video as for adults, keep comments and keep targetted advertising.

If you are making money off kids, then yes, it is your job to make appropriate content for them and mark it as such.

If you're an adult this will have zero real impact on you.

https://fox2now.com/2019/02/21/youtube-takes-action-as-advertisers-leave-following-concerns-pedophiles-exploited-the-platform/
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/world/americas/youtube-pedophiles.html

I feel like you've completely misinterpreted the changes happening here. I told you not to take clickbait literally ;D

You are completely wrong and it makes me sick people are defending them.

Written By: 2001 on 11/27/19 at 5:39 pm

Did I say YT is making more money? No. I said the government is. It is a cash grab.

That makes even less sense. Kids buying less products is less tax revenue, advertising being less efficient is less tax revenue etc. Just how does the government earn money on this? ???

It says the creator will not get monetized and make money, YT still will. They will receive a 30% cut.

Can you please post the part where it says that? I re-read it again and nowhere do I see that the affected channels will be demonetized. It says they won't earn as much as before but that's not demonetized.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/27/19 at 5:51 pm

I wanna see John Titor back. That is the only banned user on this website that I miss.

I miss RockAndRollFan, and AndrewTheTalkingWalnut.  :-\\

Written By: Slim95 on 11/27/19 at 6:04 pm

That makes even less sense. Kids buying less products is less tax revenue, advertising being less efficient is less tax revenue etc. Just how does the government earn money on this? ???

Because they are fining people $42,000 if they see a violation... That's called a cash grab.

Written By: rapplepop on 11/27/19 at 7:10 pm

I agree that children should be protected from inappropriate content (I'm still emotionally scarred from the obscene content I saw on cable TV in the 90s as a kid) but I think a $47,000 fine is a little bit extreme. The way to get people to accept totalitarian policies is to say it's for the sake of the kids.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/27/19 at 7:33 pm

The way to get people to accept totalitarian policies is to say it's for the sake of the kids.

Finally we agree on something lol

Written By: Slim95 on 11/27/19 at 7:50 pm

I'm not neither right wing nor left wing, I'm a free thinker. I stay out of politics completely now, it's toxic.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/27/19 at 9:40 pm

Problem with inthe00s is that bans can only be permanent. There's no 1/3/6 month ban. I would rather see a lot of the banned posters back (except one), but I wouldn't want to get rid of bans/moderation altogether.

If the bans were structured like that, then I would like that. And I'm not sure which poster you're referring to, but I think I have an idea. Personally, I never really agreed fully with that person's views, but nonetheless I still would vouch for the ability to speak their mind.

To be honest, when it comes to video sharing at least (less so Facebook/Twitter), I trust the free market to figure things out. "Content creators" can easily upload their videos to multiple websites, there isn't anything tethering them to YouTube in particular. If people don't like YouTube's moderation/free speech policies they (both uploader and viewer) are free to use another website without the need to even give up YouTube. The channel can upload some of their less controversial videos on YouTube and have another website where they upload more of the racy (pun intended ;)) stuff.

The concept of the 'free market' is a politically loaded term. Objectively speaking, if by 'free market' you mean a healthy dose of competition, where there are no designated winners or losers based on external forces (like the government or some other ruling body), then I think that the best way to achieve that would be a system like I am proposing. By decentralizing power (that being YouTube) and giving content creators more autonomy in the content they create and how they engage with their users, that is the best way in creating a successful platform for YouTube at large.

The problem with the "they can just use a different platform if they don't like YouTube" argument is that, YouTube holds a huge monopoly on video sharing. No other site comes close, not even relatively popular streaming sites like Twitch or 'mini-video' apps like TikTok. YouTube's parent company being Google (which also has a monopoly on the search engine market) does not bode well for newcoming companies that may want to compete. It would be ideal to apply anti-trust legislation to break down YouTube, but I think having an 'Internet Bill of Rights', that treats these companies as public utilities (sort of like a digital 'town square') allows a compromise. A compromise, in which YouTube, in its current capacity and size, can continue to exist without the fear of having to comply fully with U.S law (COPPA being an example). It would also be easier to apply a standard of policies of defining what is good and bad conduct if it's tied to real laws (based on jurisdiction).

Laws pertaining to free speech in Canada would differ in the U.S.A as an example. Having this overarching 'big brother' force of policies encapsulating the site throughout the world is what's causing this discord on the site recently, and due to how YouTube itself already has a monopoly on video sharing, leaves content creators and fans of the platform beholden to these controversial policies. I consider the current system, thus, as undemocratic.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/19 at 7:39 am

I love the comment section.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/29/19 at 2:49 pm

This is probably the best analysis of COPPA:

pd604xskDmU

It explains everything at an elementary level.

Also you can watch this analysis;

3GwDrHOe43E

This is also a good analysis, if you want a more in depth legal outlook on the implications of this policy.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/29/19 at 2:57 pm

Also;

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/dyhgdx/why_are_people_talking_about_coppa_and_why_are/

An interesting Reddit message board for those "Out of the Loop" with this controversy.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/29/19 at 3:40 pm

Do the new regulations affect YouPorn also ? ???

Written By: 2001 on 11/30/19 at 2:22 pm

I agree that children should be protected from inappropriate content (I'm still emotionally scarred from the obscene content I saw on cable TV in the 90s as a kid) but I think a $47,000 fine is a little bit extreme. The way to get people to accept totalitarian policies is to say it's for the sake of the kids.

The fine is clickbait by the person who made the video. I can tell you right now with certainty that exactly zero people will be fined, let alone be fined $47,000 for a dumb video.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/30/19 at 3:15 pm

The fine is clickbait by the person who made the video. I can tell you right now with certainty that exactly zero people will be fined, let alone be fined $47,000 for a dumb video.

No it's not clickbait, it is not the only video that is our there... Several videos say the same fine. I read the actual policy and the guy say it, the fine is 47,000.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/01/19 at 1:31 pm

YES

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/01/19 at 2:09 pm

I am starting to HOPE that YouTube ends. Not the videos, because I hope the videos get archived, but the fact that you can't even UPLOAD a YouTube Poop anymore.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/19 at 4:58 pm

Do the new regulations affect YouPorn also ? ???

I wouldn't think so. ???

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/01/19 at 4:59 pm

It just sounds so outrageous that I almost feel like it won't be put into place. I can't even imagine how someone with even just a few brain cells left could possibly think that's a good idea.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/01/19 at 7:52 pm

It just sounds so outrageous that I almost feel like it won't be put into place. I can't even imagine how someone with even just a few brain cells left could possibly think that's a good idea.

While I agree with both of you, the mere fact that this policy is in the books means that YouTube could in theory enforce it. If not, YouTube would have several ways till Sunday to mess with allegedly 'kid content'. This is low key teetering onto some 'Big Brother'-like enforcement. Partly because YouTube, aka corporate headquarters, do not want to face the entirety of the brunt of legal action against them, so they levy the negative effects to content creators. Some that rightfully need to be kicked off the platform,I'm looking at you PewdiePie, sorry not sorry, and many that certainly should not.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/03/19 at 7:06 am

Man, look at all these junior attorneys in here! You’d think we were a bar association or something.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/05/19 at 4:35 pm

Man, look at all these FUTURE attorneys in here! You’d think we were a bar association or something.

Fixed it for ya ;)
vDMwDT6BhhE

This kind of YouTube I miss :\'(

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/09/19 at 5:48 am

I shudder at the thought of any of these people becoming attorneys. They would destroy what little is left of the fair and equal dispensation of the law.

Anyway, in response to those of you clamoring "Free speech! Free speech!" in defense of bigotry on YouTube:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance
https://medium.com/@parkermolloy/deconstructing-the-tolerance-paradox-why-conservatives-go-to-line-is-garbage-666a1bf04a65
http://www.openculture.com/2019/03/does-democracy-demand-the-tolerance-of-the-intolerant-karl-poppers-paradox.html
https://medium.com/@peterwynn/why-tolerance-to-intolerance-is-cowardice-118d9da30249

tl;dr - Tolerating intolerance is how we've gotten to be ruled by tyrants, by giving a stage to those who propagate hateful ideations that don't actually have any right being included in the marketplace of ideas.

Interestingly and probably tellingly, the theory of the paradox of intolerance was originally proposed by a guy who witnessed the rise of Nazism in his country of birth.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/09/19 at 6:39 am

Well if YouTube plummets, so will Google, since its a major part of its business nowadays. Its popular, free Google Newspaper Archive not only has been updated with anything new in about a decade, but it sometimes still removes certain papers its already digitized due to rights, and also likely due to Newspapers.com having the bigger. The 2000s was definitely the decade of Google, the 2010s has gradually seen it slip away. I also don't like the recent redesign since it seems to load slower, is less user friendly for non-mobile devices, and of course has made its copyright policies tougher to the point that instead of 30 seconds being the "fair use" limit, its ten seconds, or in some cases, five. Even stuff like promos for a movie or TV show (not the actual show itself) are being targeted with copyright strikes! Its exactly what "killed" Dailymotion earlier this decade (THAT's a joke of a site which once competed on nearly equal footing with YouTube in the mid-late '00s).

What attracted me to YouTube is not just certain series, but rewatching nostalgia (even if it was before my time) of classic TV footage, and that's what lead me to becoming a content creator with several thousand videos and counting. Unfortunately, I've had to deal with THREE strikeouts this year in terms of copyright takedowns, and while I'll continue to support the channel for now, I just hope that YT turns things around and not become less user-friendly, or I may just end support there.

Still, that's what community guidelines strikes are for, and I've only received two in my five years (none in the last three), and both were overturned due to bogus claims.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/09/19 at 12:54 pm

Well if YouTube plummets, so will Google, since its a major part of its business nowadays. Its popular, free Google Newspaper Archive not only has been updated with anything new in about a decade, but it sometimes still removes certain papers its already digitized due to rights, and also likely due to Newspapers.com having the bigger. The 2000s was definitely the decade of Google, the 2010s has gradually seen it slip away. I also don't like the recent redesign since it seems to load slower, is less user friendly for non-mobile devices, and of course has made its copyright policies tougher to the point that instead of 30 seconds being the "fair use" limit, its ten seconds, or in some cases, five. Even stuff like promos for a movie or TV show (not the actual show itself) are being targeted with copyright strikes! Its exactly what "killed" Dailymotion earlier this decade (THAT's a joke of a site which once competed on nearly equal footing with YouTube in the mid-late '00s).

What attracted me to YouTube is not just certain series, but rewatching nostalgia (even if it was before my time) of classic TV footage, and that's what lead me to becoming a content creator with several thousand videos and counting. Unfortunately, I've had to deal with THREE strikeouts this year in terms of copyright takedowns, and while I'll continue to support the channel for now, I just hope that YT turns things around and not become less user-friendly, or I may just end support there.

Still, that's what community guidelines strikes are for, and I've only received two in my five years (none in the last three), and both were overturned due to bogus claims.

If YouTube plummets Google in general will not go down... You have no idea how much money Google/Alphabet has and how many other things they own. It would simply be a paper cut to the gigantic company.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/19 at 3:24 pm

If YouTube plummets Google in general will not go down... You have no idea how much money Google/Alphabet has and how many other things they own. It would simply be a paper cut to the gigantic company.

A lot of people pretty much need Google these days for just about every login.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/09/19 at 8:00 pm

I shudder at the thought of any of these people becoming attorneys. They would destroy what little is left of the fair and equal dispensation of the law.

Anyway, in response to those of you clamoring "Free speech! Free speech!" in defense of bigotry on YouTube:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance
https://medium.com/@parkermolloy/deconstructing-the-tolerance-paradox-why-conservatives-go-to-line-is-garbage-666a1bf04a65
http://www.openculture.com/2019/03/does-democracy-demand-the-tolerance-of-the-intolerant-karl-poppers-paradox.html
https://medium.com/@peterwynn/why-tolerance-to-intolerance-is-cowardice-118d9da30249

tl;dr - Tolerating intolerance is how we've gotten to be ruled by tyrants, by giving a stage to those who propagate hateful ideations that don't actually have any right being included in the marketplace of ideas.

Interestingly and probably tellingly, the theory of the paradox of intolerance was originally proposed by a guy who witnessed the rise of Nazism in his country of birth.

Ok this is very insulting. Do you seriously believe that only conservatives care about 'free speech'? Listen, I understand where you are coming from, the fear of the intolerant absorbing the tolerant scares me too. However, there has to be a line drawn, between engaging with intolerant ideas and preventing intolerant action.

If anything, I think that our very strained public discourse, especially as seen in so-called 'Cancel Culture', microagressions/trigger warnings, etc. etc., has radicalized more people (especially towards the extreme right). This is mainly because these dogmatic right wing views are never truly dissected nor discussed in fear of "offending someone", so therefor these views remain insulated within a certain group of people. That insulation goes into 'hyper-mode' when there is no prevailing counter narrative that can be easily conveyed to those that may stray away. The massive economic anxiety people are experiencing all across the world doesn't help much, making people more susceptible to problematic ideas.

If you don't allow these controversial ideas in the public square to simply engage with them, these ideas will thus never be debunked. It's kind of like when you're babysitting a child and you tell the child 'not to do something', but in a VERY insistent type of way in trying to dissuade them (such as a kid wanting to touch a stove). While there are many children that go on their entire lives obeying their parents and not shaking the boat, there are just as many (if not more) that do rebel against their parents, one way or another, mainly due, in part, because of how much their parents nag them in 'Not doing _'. "Whatever you parents say not to do, you do the opposite". That can be as relatively small as touching a stove in defiance as a young child to as dramatic as getting a tattoo/exotic piercing as a teenager.

PDwb_5BYm6Y&pbjreload=10

We're arguably already living in a 'Nanny-State', in the sense of our lack of civil liberties (you can thank the PATRIOT ACT, which btw, recently had just gotten reauthorized by both Dems & Repubs......... so much for the '#Resistance'), if we forego our free speech based on the fear of hateful ideas taking over progressive or mainstream ideas, then that would be immensely disastrous to this country (and whatever country that would implement strict policies like this). We'd at that point might as well just declare that "Democracy is DEAD". Because at this point, we're already teetering towards an authoritative state with oligarchic undertones, a system that bans certain ideas from just remotely being discussed would just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Written By: wixness on 12/09/19 at 9:02 pm

I actually support this, because time and again, and like other social networking companies, YouTube have proven to their audience they only care about money; it can be exemplified in this article that proves they don't enforce their own leftist Terms of Service properly. The only real issue I have with this is that there's gonna be a ton of videos that will go down with it that I actually do like. They should have been pirated anyway - YouTube deserves no money from letting racists and repressive scum get away with what they do with YouTube benefitting financially from it in part.

Edit: read this more carefully. I hope that people will migrate from the platform or simply find other ways of making a living. But yeah, YouTube has had a problem with their content being marked child-friendly when it isn't. I'd argue that except in certain cases, there should be more of a consensus on what's considered child friendly or not, and those who regularly and intentionally infringe on children's privacy and safety do deserve the wrath of the law. I still wish YouTube were held accountable though.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/09/19 at 9:09 pm

The notion that only conservatives believe in free speech is just crazy. Everything has been flipped around. Not too long ago it was the liberals fighting for freedom of speech... Liberal after all means "liberty" which means freedom...

Written By: wixness on 12/09/19 at 9:12 pm

The notion that only conservatives believe in free speech is just crazy. Everything has been flipped around. Not too long ago it was the liberals fighting for freedom of speech... Liberal after all means "liberty" which means freedom...

I think that conservative values have been the norm for much of the world and history too. Not many nations also have a tradition of freedom of speech - you can't criticize religion with stuff like blasphemy laws (commonplace pretty much everywhere until recently, but still in effect in some places worldwide), and as recently as like 2012 or 2013, you can't say good things about the LGBT community in Russia. Breaking those laws risk punishment.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/10/19 at 5:02 am

Ok this is very insulting. Do you seriously believe that only conservatives care about 'free speech'? Listen, I understand where you are coming from, the fear of the intolerant absorbing the tolerant scares me too. However, there has to be a line drawn, between engaging with intolerant ideas and preventing intolerant action.

If anything, I think that our very strained public discourse, especially as seen in so-called 'Cancel Culture', microagressions/trigger warnings, etc. etc., has radicalized more people (especially towards the extreme right). This is mainly because these dogmatic right wing views are never truly dissected nor discussed in fear of "offending someone", so therefor these views remain insulated within a certain group of people. That insulation goes into 'hyper-mode' when there is no prevailing counter narrative that can be easily conveyed to those that may stray away. The massive economic anxiety people are experiencing all across the world doesn't help much, making people more susceptible to problematic ideas.

If you don't allow these controversial ideas in the public square to simply engage with them, these ideas will thus never be debunked. It's kind of like when you're babysitting a child and you tell the child 'not to do something', but in a VERY insistent type of way in trying to dissuade them (such as a kid wanting to touch a stove). While there are many children that go on their entire lives obeying their parents and not shaking the boat, there are just as many (if not more) that do rebel against their parents, one way or another, mainly due, in part, because of how much their parents nag them in 'Not doing _'. "Whatever you parents say not to do, you do the opposite". That can be as relatively small as touching a stove in defiance as a young child to as dramatic as getting a tattoo/exotic piercing as a teenager.

PDwb_5BYm6Y&pbjreload=10

We're arguably already living in a 'Nanny-State', in the sense of our lack of civil liberties (you can thank the PATRIOT ACT, which btw, recently had just gotten reauthorized by both Dems & Repubs......... so much for the '#Resistance'), if we forego our free speech based on the fear of hateful ideas taking over progressive or mainstream ideas, then that would be immensely disastrous to this country (and whatever country that would implement strict policies like this). We'd at that point might as well just declare that "Democracy is DEAD". Because at this point, we're already teetering towards an authoritative state with oligarchic undertones, a system that bans certain ideas from just remotely being discussed would just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I don't think only conservatives care about free speech, but only conservatives do use free speech as a shield to continue engaging in hateful speech and actions.

And if you actually read the articles I linked, you'd see it's not actually about conservatives as such. Rather, it's about how permitting intolerant speech and action allows those who are intolerant to take power in a society and shut down the speech and actions of others.

Although clearly I see my efforts are wasted here. You guys have learned nothing from the past few years; people with intolerant beliefs don't change their minds when their views are dissected, they just dig in. That's why racists need to be shamed and intolerance needs to be treated as not worthy of tolerance.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/10/19 at 6:21 am

I don't think only conservatives care about free speech, but only conservatives do use free speech as a shield to continue engaging in hateful speech and actions.

And if you actually read the articles I linked, you'd see it's not actually about conservatives as such. Rather, it's about how permitting intolerant speech and action allows those who are intolerant to take power in a society and shut down the speech and actions of others.

Although clearly I see my efforts are wasted here. You guys have learned nothing from the past few years; people with intolerant beliefs don't change their minds when their views are dissected, they just dig in. That's why racists need to be shamed and intolerance needs to be treated as not worthy of tolerance.

I did read the articles, hence why I was (slightly) agreeing with you on the fear of the potential of the intolerant gaining power,

I'm guessing you never took into consideration of what I was saying. The deemed intolerant have been more prominent in their political movements in the last few years, but that's not because of social media being too free, it's quite the opposite. People are much more insulated in their echo chambers than ever before in history, so that is how many people (especially those whom are economically disaffected) fall into this trap of falling into dogmatic beliefs. Why people are more insulated than ever before? Because we simply do not engage with these ideas in the first place, because some would rather just 'Cancel' someone, then to simply have a debate. If the views of the tolerant were really that strong, wouldn't it make sense to then go on a platform that allowed to reach across the aisle, regardless of how wide that apparent political discrepancy was?

1KELuvXvaP8

Watch this video, and then proceed in scrolling through the comments. This would be one of many good reasons as to why one should advocate for free speech. Because while yes, the potentiality of someone falling through the rabbit-hole is still possible, if provided a compelling counter-argument that same person can easily become 'de-programed'. And for all of this talk about "YouTube radicalizing people!" (or <insert social media site>), there are many examples of the opposite being true. The issue of radicalization only became more apparent because of how contrived, overall, free speech has been throughout this decade. If you continue down this path of not engaging with controversial ideas, ironically you in a sense make those controversial ideas more legitimate. This is due to the basic fact that in human psychology, people in desperate situations are more likely to be receptive to whatever seems like an easy way out, and a lot of times (unfortunately), it is the Alt-Right-like ideas that offer something to people's current situations, just without any real substance of actually solving it. However, when you have a massive 'Nanny-State-' and or 'group think' of powerful individuals telling the masses what the exact parameters of public debate should be, people are more likely to say "Screw that" and stay ideologically linked to their respective tribes.

So that is the major difference between you and myself; I believe that while Trump (and other right wing politicians around the world) have used economic anxiety to appeal to racist attitudes, it's the mere fact that those people that are economically disaffected in the first place and that we as a society lack the courage in truly taking into account for the sins of dogmatic ideas from past generations, as a more substantive link to the rise in intolerant ideas taking shape. Please watch the video, and actually the read the comments, and then come back to this thread. If we lose this aspect of YouTube, then we as a collective lose. Because remember, it may seem like everybody, including YouTube, are up in arms in banning 'intolerant speech', but it's all fun and rainbows until they starting pointing their barrels at you and your views. You talk about the 'Intolerant absorbing the tolerant', in which I fear as well (hence why the 2020 election is important), but you seem to not understand that anybody, any institution, any group of people, could become the Devil you are fearful of. It's not just an obtuse Orange Clown that has the nuclear codes which anybody could sense from a mile away, it could be the wealthy board of directors in a company with a monopoly on public discourse deciding what views are the most attractable to advertisers. We live in a Culturally progressive youth culture, what if that culture ever so changed? Then your views would become the new 'intolerant' views and therefor worthy of dismantling.

And one thing you can always count on, especially with how divided/partisan things are now, the pendulum will always swing back more reactionary. You want to offer that much power to a group of wealthy board of directors that care about nothing but their own bottom line? Be my guest.

Written By: annimal on 12/10/19 at 10:27 am

Man, look at all these junior attorneys in here! You’d think we were a bar association or something.

fortunately for me,I already drank and left

Written By: Slim95 on 12/10/19 at 12:30 pm

Freedom of speech is something that should not be up for debate in any nation in my humble opinion. 

Written By: annimal on 12/10/19 at 1:20 pm

I agree, and I have the right to agree or disagree with it

Written By: Sman12 on 01/07/20 at 11:55 am

Well, guys, it's official. YouTube enacted the COPPA rule yesterday. It took them five days to enforce (for some reason), but here it is. https://i.ibb.co/Y3QwRnM/Screenshot-20200107-124639-Twitter.jpg

Written By: Sman12 on 01/07/20 at 3:04 pm

I found a screenshot from Twitter of an adult animated short being designated for kids because.....it's animated.
https://i.ibb.co/4szTZY0/IMG-20200107-155719.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 01/07/20 at 3:28 pm

Well, guys, it's official. YouTube enacted the COPPA rule yesterday. It took them five days to enforce (for some reason), but here it is. https://i.ibb.co/Y3QwRnM/Screenshot-20200107-124639-Twitter.jpg

As usual people overreacted to minor changes. Most videos still have comments except the ones that are clearly for babies/kids (a few miscategorized ones notwithstanding). "End of YouTube" - far from it. Now many kids are going to get addicted to YouTube now that parents are less apprehensive about it ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 01/07/20 at 3:47 pm

As usual people overreacted to minor changes. Most videos still have comments except the ones that are clearly for babies/kids (a few miscategorized ones notwithstanding). "End of YouTube" - far from it. Now many kids are going to get addicted to YouTube now that parents are less apprehensive about it ;D

You HAVE to be trolling on this one.  ;D Anyways, parents should be more careful on what their children watch on YouTube and not the content creators in the first place. There's even a MLP parody where Pinkie Pie's face is covered with blood, and that was targeted for kids by the faulty YT algorithm. All because YT violated the law by collecting children's data. Pathetic.  >:(

Written By: 2001 on 01/07/20 at 3:58 pm

You HAVE to be trolling on this one.  ;D Anyways, parents should be more careful on what their children watch on YouTube and not the content creators in the first place. There's even a MLP parody where Pinkie Pie's face is covered with blood, and that was targeted for kids by the faulty YT algorithm. All because YT violated the law by collecting children's data. Pathetic.  >:(

Parents lead busy lives, and can't keep eyes on their children 24/7. That's not natural nor is it healthy to do that. I think it's much more appropriate for content creators to label their videos properly.

Obviously some videos are going to be mislabelled, we are talking about moderating trillions of hours of videos,  but it's not the case for 99% of them which I'd say is a pretty solid attempt.

And no I'm not trolling lol. I feel like I've lived through so many of these " is the END of " that I'm more likely to roll my eyes than be alarmed. The Snapchat redesign tho actually did kill it ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/20 at 4:36 pm

Parents lead busy lives, and can't keep eyes on their children 24/7. That's not natural nor is it healthy to do that. I think it's much more appropriate for content creators to label their videos properly.

Obviously some videos are going to be mislabelled, we are talking about moderating trillions of hours of videos,  but it's not the case for 99% of them which I'd say is a pretty solid attempt.

And no I'm not trolling lol. I feel like I've lived through so many of these " is the END of " that I'm more likely to roll my eyes than be alarmed. The Snapchat redesign tho actually did kill it ;D

It's not a minor change... Parents are to be responsible for their kids. I never disagreed with you on anything more than this.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/07/20 at 5:28 pm

It's not a minor change... Parents are to be responsible for their kids. I never disagreed with you on anything more than this.

This.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/07/20 at 6:02 pm

Oh...

I thought they took Youtube down.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/07/20 at 6:18 pm

Oh...

I thought they took Youtube down.

At this point, I wouldn't even care if YouTube shut down.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/20 at 3:42 pm

At this point, I wouldn't even care if YouTube shut down.

I would care.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/19/20 at 1:42 pm

And y’all thought this would be the worst thing that would happen this year. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/20 at 1:54 pm

Has anyone noticed that it is now TWO ads screened before you get the chance to watch you required video?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/19/20 at 1:54 pm

It didn't end up happening I guess.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/20 at 2:36 pm

Has anyone noticed that it is now TWO ads screened before you get the chance to watch you required video?

No, I don't see any ads.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/20 at 2:46 pm

No, I don't see any ads.
How did you arrange that?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/19/20 at 2:50 pm

It didn't end up happening I guess.

I beg to differ:

SwFjj2Zg0NU

In short; most of COPPA still hasn't been administered. What few policies that has, resulted in a schism between 'established channels' and 'unestablished channels'. Channels with 1M+ subscribers saw sustained growth in the last two months, while Channels with -1M subscribers saw a decrease in growth.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/20 at 3:08 pm

How did you arrange that?

I don't know I guess it just happened.

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/20 at 4:46 pm

It didn't change anything (important), it's still the same YouTube.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/20 at 4:46 pm

I don't know I guess it just happened.
May be down to the country you are in?

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/20 at 4:54 pm

They are pushing more ads because they want you to buy YouTube Red. I would just use an adblocker, I don't want to give Google any more money as it is.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/20 at 4:57 pm

They are pushing more ads because they want you to buy YouTube Red. I would just use an adblocker, I don't want to give Google any more money as it is.
Is the adblocker free?

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/20 at 5:01 pm

Is the adblocker free?

Yeah, I use uBlock which is free (supported by donations).

Written By: Ripley on 03/19/20 at 5:07 pm

Agreed!!! I still follow some people on there but youtube has really gone downhill. The ad amount is horrible! I got premium cause it was that annoying. I give these f***** my money in order to watch the people I subscribe to without those damn ads.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/20 at 5:23 pm

Many thanks

Written By: Ripley on 03/19/20 at 5:27 pm

As for the comments section.... that WOULD hurt creators but not just creators, followers as well. Interacting/chatting can really help people like me. It’s a way to meet people and have nice and interesting conversations. Just like this website. I truly enjoy talking with creators and other followers in the comments. Especially those live streams. It feels like I’m hanging out with them. As an introvert that’s a very beneficial thing for me.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/20 at 8:30 am

I live in the United States as you reside in The U.K.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/20 at 8:31 am

I use Adblock Plus.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/23/20 at 10:36 pm

A Perfect Example:

As to why COPPA...... is sh!t

Ltw82AC1OZc

How in the world is something like this considered for kids? I used to watch this particular YTP 10 years ago, it's anything but child friendly.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/20 at 11:05 pm

Don't you have a degree in computer science? :P

Machine learning isn't 100% accurate. Report the video to improve the algorithm.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/23/20 at 11:40 pm

Don't you have a degree in computer science? :P

Machine learning isn't 100% accurate. Report the video to improve the algorithm.

Part of why I was never that keen on this policy in the first place ;D. As I said before, YouTube should've just lobbied Congress for newer regulations that would have made more applicable sense for the modern era we live in.

Despite that though; especially when Machine learning is still years away from being perfected, it's impossible to truly regulate what is and what is not exactly child friendly content. That was the main fear of many content creators, and this obviously inappropriate video being deemed 'for kids' sort of vindicates those fears. It's only a matter of time until YouTube execs begin to have a committee of actual overseers that determine content (like the one I posted above) on its likelihood of getting entangled in an algorithm that a child would likely fall into. But as we've seen with previous 'Adpocalypses', it's not entirely clear which route is rather preferable, especially if you're like me (and others) whom are not that keen on the draconian actions the platform has taken in recent years, either;

-Machine learning that appears to not have an intrinsic bias, but could still miss certain things through the cracks

Or,

-YouTube content overseers with biases, whom determine on their standing what is deemed 'kid friendly' or not

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/24/20 at 12:00 am

This video right here actually highlights an example of a worst case scenario of content being mistakingly labeled as 'for kids':

GI-tQWj89qU

The implementation of COPPA so far has left much to be desired.

Written By: 2001 on 04/24/20 at 12:16 am

Part of why I was never that keen on this policy in the first place ;D. As I said before, YouTube should've just lobbied Congress for newer regulations that would have made more applicable sense for the modern era we live in.

Despite that though; especially when Machine learning is still years away from being perfected, it's impossible to truly regulate what is and what is not exactly child friendly content. That was the main fear of many content creators, and this obviously inappropriate video being deemed 'for kids' sort of vindicates those fears. It's only a matter of time until YouTube execs begin to have a committee of actual overseers that determine content (like the one I posted above) on its likelihood of getting entangled in an algorithm that a child would likely fall into. But as we've seen with previous 'Adpocalypses', it's not entirely clear which route is rather preferable, especially if you're like me (and others) whom are not that keen on the draconian actions the platform has taken in recent years, either;

-Machine learning that appears to not have an intrinsic bias, but could still miss certain things through the cracks

Or,

-YouTube content overseers with biases, whom determine on their standing what is deemed 'kid friendly' or not

Machine learning can't possibly ever be perfect, because it's all predicated on possibilities or percent confidence. False positives are inevitable. It saw a perhaps thousands of Arthur videos that were very obviously for kids, and so it picked up on Arthur being for kids. Then this one YouTube Poop comes along and maybe it detected that it had some crude language, but all the previous Arthur videos were so overwhelmingly for kids so it probably guessed that there's a 60% chance that the video is targeted at kids and marked it as such. That's where a human has to come in and correct it, and maybe next time it will recognize that any video with "YouTube Poop" in the title is most likely not for kids.

From what I've seen the algorithm is actually very accurate. There were a lot of mistakes at first but that's how machine learning works; it learns and improves as its data sample improves. So if you see a video that's erroneously marked as for kids (or not when it should be), it's better to just report it.

YouTube receives less ad revenue on kid-targetted videos so I doubt they're going out of their way to mark videos as such tbh.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/24/20 at 12:37 am

Machine learning can't possibly ever be perfect, because it's all predicated on possibilities or percent confidence. False positives are inevitable. It saw a perhaps thousands of Arthur videos that were very obviously for kids, and so it picked up on Arthur being for kids. Then this one YouTube Poop comes along and maybe it detected that it had some crude language, but all the previous Arthur videos were so overwhelmingly for kids so it probably guessed that there's a 60% chance that the video is targeted at kids and marked it as such. That's where a human has to come in and correct it, and maybe next time it will recognize that any video with "YouTube Poop" in the title is most likely not for kids.

From what I've seen the algorithm is actually very accurate. There were a lot of mistakes at first but that's how machine learning works; it learns and improves as its data sample improves. So if you see a video that's erroneously marked as for kids (or not when it should be), it's better to just report it.

YouTube receives less ad revenue on kid-targetted videos so I doubt they're going out of their way to mark videos as such tbh.

But that's exactly my point. You would have to have a human to fill in the gaps that the algorithm fails to account for. And if there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Arthur videos that one could reasonably deduce that most are 'For Kids', then there is no real conceivable way for one human to do that massive amount of quality control. And even if there was a way for a collective unit of humans to find a way to fill in those gaps, we logically would then have to then wonder what exactly are those supposed biases that particular person, or group of people, holds. This adds another layer of complexity in their tasks of being arbiters of content violating COPPA regulations. As seen in the video I just linked above; due to some key words that were mentioned in the video being referenced as why the algorithm is at times massively flawed, not mention that video featuring gameplay in the background, an actual YouTube representative reached out to that YouTuber to mandate that they change the designation of the video from 'General Audiences' to 'For Kids'.

Here is my question towards you Slowpoke, what/who do you trust more in successfully administering this policy? Machine learning or humans? Does your definition of 'success' mean the potential for the policy to never ideally work 100% of the time?

Written By: mqg96 on 04/24/20 at 1:31 am

^ That's what's pretty much doomed YouTube. All the old videos around of inactive users, the comment sections are now turned off permanently and you'll never get to interact with people's thoughts and opinions again. It'll just be dead. Comments are a huge part of gaining viewership and subscribers. It's no different than Twitch. You can stream Twitch and all the games you want, but without your chat & interaction, you're absolutely nothing. When you create content or stream content, chat and comments are very important period for success. There are going to be toxicity, I understand, but toxicity exists everywhere in general. It's not like all the comments are toxic. It depends on the specific video and the topic, and what you follow specifically.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/20 at 2:04 am

Cannot see any end of YouTube now, for with the situation of the world, many a person and organisation are uploading music and activities under the self isolation with the lockdown.

Written By: 2001 on 04/24/20 at 2:13 am

But that's exactly my point. You would have to have a human to fill in the gaps that the algorithm fails to account for. And if there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Arthur videos that one could reasonably deduce that most are 'For Kids', then there is no real conceivable way for one human to do that massive amount of quality control. And even if there was a way for a collective unit of humans to find a way to fill in those gaps, we logically would then have to then wonder what exactly are those supposed biases that particular person, or group of people, holds. This adds another layer of complexity in their tasks of being arbiters of content violating COPPA regulations. As seen in the video I just linked above; due to some key words that were mentioned in the video being referenced as why the algorithm is at times massively flawed, not mention that video featuring gameplay in the background, an actual YouTube representative reached out to that YouTuber to mandate that they change the designation of the video from 'General Audiences' to 'For Kids'.

Here is my question towards you Slowpoke, what/who do you trust more in successfully administering this policy? Machine learning or humans? Does your definition of 'success' mean the potential for the policy to never ideally work 100% of the time?

I don't get why you're pitting machine learning against humans. Machine learning doesn't even work without a human helping classify the material it's looking at. The program will do 99.9% of the work and the human will do 0.1%. If you don't report the video for a human to look at then obviously nothing can be done about it.

I will take a 99.9% success rate over a 100% failure rate for sure. I have not noticed a disruption in my viewing habits at all related to this change. The ads are getting longer and worse but that's a separate issue.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/20 at 7:34 am

Cannot see any end of YouTube now, for with the situation of the world, many a person and organisation are uploading music and activities under the self isolation with the lockdown.

YouTube is here to stay!

Written By: Sman12 on 04/24/20 at 9:03 am

A Perfect Example:

As to why COPPA...... is sh!t

Ltw82AC1OZc

How in the world is something like this considered for kids? I used to watch this particular YTP 10 years ago, it's anything but child friendly.

Just goes to show you how YouTube is now a shell of its former self. It's really sad to see after going on the site for several years now.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/24/20 at 10:52 am

^ That's what's pretty much doomed YouTube. All the old videos around of inactive users, the comment sections are now turned off permanently and you'll never get to interact with people's thoughts and opinions again. It'll just be dead. Comments are a huge part of gaining viewership and subscribers. It's no different than Twitch. You can stream Twitch and all the games you want, but without your chat & interaction, you're absolutely nothing. When you create content or stream content, chat and comments are very important period for success. There are going to be toxicity, I understand, but toxicity exists everywhere in general. It's not like all the comments are toxic. It depends on the specific video and the topic, and what you follow specifically.

I agree! Many videos that I used to engage with I no longer can do, because of these regulations. Nostalgic commercial breaks from my childhood, funny cartoon scenes, gameplay content of old games I used to be play, even cartoon theme songs, a lot of them have unfortunately blocked the ability for users to comment and save under playlists. And as I said before, this policy is only just getting started, there's going to be wide ranging consequences for these policy changes in the years to come.

In the same way that I don't necessarily trust the YouTube algorithm in determining what is 'kid friendly' and 'not kid friendly', is how I have felt for the last fews years about the platform's efforts in determining 'quality' and 'not quality' content, particularly with news; ie., as many independent news/political commentary channels (Philip Defranco Show, TYT, David Pakman Show, Secular Talk, Democracy Now, Amazing Atheist, Ben Shapiro Show, etc.) having faced immense crackdowns from YouTube in recent years, some smaller channels having to be forced to close down (something as simple as having 'Iran' or 'Covid' in the title of their video is enough for the algorithm to detect the video as being 'against the terms of service', therefor leading to a potential 'strike' on their channel), and even medium sized/big channels that have lost tremendous ad revenue due to these changes. Meanwhile 'established' news sources with channels on YouTube like CNN, CBS, or MSNBC, not to mention nightly comedians from these major networks having clips of their episodes on the platform, have become more showcased in the trending tab for news in recent years, in spite of independent content creators getting the shaft. They're allowed to have 'key words' like 'Iran' or 'Covid' in the titles of their videos, and they still receive many ads on their videos (almost like if you were actually watching TV). Not to mention other valid critiques of this policy over the years.

I've seen how disastrous this policy has been to many aspects and sectors of content on the YouTube platform, and I'm afraid this type of 'censorship' (I would dare call it, 'de-platforming') is only likely to accelerate for years to come. When YouTube is essentially the only video platform in existence, it needs to be treated like a 'public utility' to alleviate that, as such.

I don't get why you're pitting machine learning against humans. Machine learning doesn't even work without a human helping classify the material it's looking at. The program will do 99.9% of the work and the human will do 0.1%. If you don't report the video for a human to look at then obviously nothing can be done about it.

I will take a 99.9% success rate over a 100% failure rate for sure. I have not noticed a disruption in my viewing habits at all related to this change. The ads are getting longer and worse but that's a separate issue.

Slowpoke, I understand the science behind it. What I was asking you before, although I guess you did kinda answer the question but I still want to pick your brain a bit, that based on the science of Machine learning and the biases that YouTube representatives have, do you think that is a fair way of arbitrating 'child friendly content'? The main reason why I ask you this, is because we have had regulations on the entertainment industry in the name of 'protecting the children' for decades now in the United States. I will link to you two examples, the film industry and the video game industry. I'd recommend that you give them a watch:

Ntcs8_QLlxgWv3HDVd22P8

The reason I ask you this is because, for the sheer majority of cases, many of these movie studios and video game studios actively self-regulate themselves. They have committees of people whom evaluate the content and determine on a wide array of contextual standards on what rating that piece of entertainment shall receive. That is essentially what YouTube is doing as well, self-regulation themselves in fear of the government doing it themselves, but here is where YouTube's efforts in self-regulating content 'flips the script' in comparison to other industries in the past. Because there are so many videos on YouTube, you practically need a machine to do much of the heavy load. And once again, while the Machine does do a decent job in doing deductive logic on determining content (categories, to tv shows, to titles of videos on tv shows, to videos on TV shows themselves) it could only do as good as the programmers, whom programmed the functionality of the Machine, could do. In essence, the process of determining 'child friendly content' is thus not a fair arbitration, at least to me, as it was used in other industries in the past. Perhaps if the technology was more advanced and thus more accurate, then maybe you would have a point. But the mere fact that there are still many disingenuous examples of people's content getting misidentified (and thus, getting adversely affected) as 'kid friendly', reveals to me why this way of administering this policy is not great. Watch the two videos to get a better grasp of what I am talking about, and we'll go on from there.

Check for new replies or respond here...