inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do You Use the Order Kiosk at McDonalds or other Fast Food Places?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/26/19 at 6:52 pm

I have a thing about those fast food order kiosks, or the self checkout at a grocery store or Wally World.

I don’t use ‘em. I think the least these stores can do is to take my FREAKING order, and handle the checkout.  ::)

How about you? ???

Subject: Re: Do You Use the Order Kiosk at McDonalds or other Fast Food Places?

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/19 at 6:53 pm

To be honest, the last time I went into a McDonald's (as opposed to the drive-thru) predated the tablets/kiosks.

Written By: gibbo on 11/26/19 at 8:51 pm

Totally agree.  I don't like them plus they put someone out of a job. I also read that they checked the self service kiosks at McDonald's (in the UK) ... and they found levels of bacteria worse than the toilets there.

Unfortunately, in Australia, they have pretty much converted all of the Macca's (sorry for the Aussie slang) stores to the kiosk model. I went through the Drive Thru last weekend and then parked my car and went into the store to eat the order.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 11/26/19 at 11:12 pm

I didn't even know this was a thing. I thought you meant the drive-thru, which my family has used countless times.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/19 at 1:32 am

Totally agree.  I don't like them plus they put someone out of a job. I also read that they checked the self service kiosks at McDonald's (in the UK)

We have now grown use to them.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/19 at 4:19 am

I have a thing about those fast food order kiosks, or the self checkout at a grocery store or Wally World.

I don’t use ‘em. I think the least these stores can do is to take my FREAKING order, and handle the checkout.  ::)

How about you? ???

I've seen them but I haven't used one yet, they should bring more kiosks in other fast food joints like Burger King, Subway and Popeye's.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/27/19 at 5:58 am

I've seen them but I haven't used one yet, they should bring more kiosks in other fast food joints like Burger King, Subway and Popeye's.

With all the violence lately at Popeye’s, they should go with a delivery model.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/27/19 at 6:14 am

Unfortunately, in Australia, they have pretty much converted all of the Macca's (sorry for the Aussie slang) stores to the kiosk model. I went through the Drive Thru last weekend and then parked my car and went into the store to eat the order.

Does Macca’s sell anything with Vegemite in it? ???

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/27/19 at 10:20 am

I rarely eat fast food anymore, but I do work at a grocery store. I use self-checkout a lot when I'm only buying a couple of things. If I only have a 15-minute break and have time for a snack, going to self-checkout is faster and more efficient than waiting at a cash register because, face it, some cashiers are slooowwww.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/19 at 10:27 am

I rarely eat fast food anymore, but I do work at a grocery store. I use self-checkout a lot when I'm only buying a couple of things. If I only have a 15-minute break and have time for a snack, going to self-checkout is faster and more efficient than waiting at a cash register because, face it, some cashiers are slooowwww.  ::)
Many a time I have used self-checkout, and many a time I have had to call an attendant to assist me, I prefer a cashier at the supermarket anytime. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/27/19 at 11:22 am

Many a time I have used self-checkout, and many a time I have had to call an attendant to assist me, I prefer a cashier at the supermarket anytime.

Hardware store The Home Despot has a ridiculous setup. They have these self-checkout lanes but then they have some checkout lady hovering around to “help” you through the transaction. Completely silly. If they need to have somebody standing around, she may as well just check you out.

I refuse to use self-checkout.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/19 at 11:27 am

Hardware store The Home Despot has a ridiculous setup. They have these self-checkout lanes but then they have some checkout lady hovering around to “help” you through the transaction. Completely silly. If they need to have somebody standing around, she may as well just check you out.

I refuse to use self-checkout.
Using cashiers is more social and these self-checkouts are depriving people from employment.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/27/19 at 2:08 pm

Using cashiers is more social and these self-checkouts are depriving people from employment.

Yep. Which is why I don’t use self checkout. I’m not gonna be the guy who causes a cashier to lose his or her job.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 11/27/19 at 8:16 pm

Hardware store The Home Despot

Typo or intentional?  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 11/27/19 at 8:19 pm

Does Macca’s sell anything with Vegemite in it? ???

Lol ... no, there is basically the same menu items as in the US. However, I DID try something different when I was in New York in September (only 3 days). Instead of a bun, it was a Biscuit!  Biscuits mean something different in Australia (more like cookies). So, this was a biscuit with egg and maple bacon. It was a revelation ... wish they brought it to Australia!

Written By: android on 11/27/19 at 10:01 pm

Definitely I prefer them and always use them with my friends! I’m less stressed when talking to someone and deciding what to get. And I only go through self check out at the grocery store.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/19 at 7:33 am

With all the violence lately at Popeye’s, they should go with a delivery model.

I like that, you can order delivery so you never have to step out the house and stand online with people that cannot make up their minds on what they want to order.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/19 at 7:34 am

Which grocery store do you work at? I work at a Stop N Shop.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/19 at 7:35 am

Sometimes these self checkouts hardly work.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/19 at 7:36 am

and they're losing cashiers too.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/28/19 at 9:04 am

...stand online with people that cannot make up their minds on what they want to order.

Drives me nuts. You’re standing in a line 4-deep for 5 minutes. Finally the guy in front of you is asked for his order and he’s like “uhhhh, what do you recommend? I’m not sure what I want. Can I get a quarter pounder with a little vegemite on the side?”  He spends all this time waiting in line, now he’s holding up everybody else because he does not know what to get in a burger joint.

Order your friggin burger.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/19 at 3:09 pm

Drives me nuts. You’re standing in a line 4-deep for 5 minutes. Finally the guy in front of you is asked for his order and he’s like “uhhhh, what do you recommend? I’m not sure what I want. Can I get a quarter pounder with a little vegemite on the side?”  He spends all this time waiting in line, now he’s holding up everybody else because he does not know what to get in a burger joint.

Order your friggin burger.

You know, maybe it's better to get McDonald's delivered to your house.

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/28/19 at 4:20 pm

Which grocery store do you work at? I work at a Stop N Shop.

I work at Kroger. We've had self-checkout for a couple of years and as far as I can tell it hasn't hurt business or employment.

Self-checkout is a good option to have when you want in and out with as little interaction with people as possible.  :D

Written By: Howard on 11/29/19 at 7:43 am

I work at Kroger. We've had self-checkout for a couple of years and as far as I can tell it hasn't hurt business or employment.

Self-checkout is a good option to have when you want in and out with as little interaction with people as possible.  :D

What I would like to see in just about all supermarkets in the 2020's is to eliminate all cashiers and make it an all kiosk self checkout supermarket.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/29/19 at 11:58 am

What I would like to see in just about all supermarkets in the 2020's is to eliminate all cashiers and make it an all kiosk self checkout supermarket.

Maybe also have robotic grocery carts that can return themselves to the store too? ???  :o

Written By: Howard on 11/29/19 at 2:33 pm

Maybe also have robotic grocery carts that can return themselves to the store too? ???  :o

But since I'm a cart attendant, what would I be doing?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/29/19 at 2:50 pm

But since I'm a cart attendant, what would I be doing?  ???

Hanging out with the cashiers.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/30/19 at 4:04 am

Yes I always use them.

Written By: Howard on 11/30/19 at 4:18 am

Hanging out with the cashiers.

No, that's something I wouldn't want to do, maybe I can collect the brown baskets inside the store.

Written By: Howard on 11/30/19 at 4:19 am

Yes I always use them.

What do you order at the kiosks?

Written By: karen on 11/30/19 at 9:34 am

I tried a couple of times to use them, as at first it looked like you had to order your food this way.  One time we were trying to order milkshakes but couldn't work out how to do it.  Turns out the machine was broken, but there was no way to tell us that until we asked.  This was last year sometime.  I very rarely go to McDonalds or anywhere similar.

I sometimes use the self checkouts, but often theres a longer queue for those than going to the regular checkout

Written By: wagonman76 on 12/16/19 at 9:52 pm

^ same here.  I tried the kiosk before and to customize my food, it was longer and more screwing around than to just go to the counter.  I just gave up and went to the counter anyway.

Another time my friends and I went thru the motions and did the kiosk, then the restaurant didn't know how to actually take the order from it.  They made us redo the entire order at the counter.

Happens a lot around here.  The local auto parts store refuses to take discounts that their own company offers because they say they don't know how.  I think it's just because they don't like giving the 20-25% discount for submitting your order online and picking it up in the store.

Other places say they don't know how to use a coupon card for a free drink from the school band.  Even though their own store bought into the program.  If you fight with them enough they will do it.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/18/19 at 3:28 pm

I used it two times. Because I had no choice. I've heard they are really dirty, and carry a lot of bad germs.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/19 at 7:10 am

I used it two times. Because I had no choice. I've heard they are really dirty, and carry a lot of bad germs.

That's because many people throughout the day are constantly using those kiosks, touching them so many times would have a lot of germs.

Written By: Howard on 12/20/19 at 3:15 pm

I think they should start using kiosks at those coffee places, don't you think?

Written By: fusefan on 12/21/19 at 8:07 pm

Never even seen ‘em. Then again I haven’t been inside of a McDonald’s in years.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/21/19 at 9:08 pm

Never even seen ‘em. Then again I haven’t been inside of a McDonald’s in years.  ::)

You should try the Quarter Pounders these days. They’re now made from fresh meat instead of frozen.

Written By: meesa on 12/21/19 at 9:13 pm

We do. It allows my son to order without having to try to place an order verbally, which would be difficult at best.

Written By: Howard on 12/22/19 at 3:13 am

I haven't been in one in years, lately I've been a Burger King guy.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/22/19 at 7:25 am

I haven't been in one in years, lately I've been a Burger King guy.

Have you scarfed down one of their Impossible Burgers yet?  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/23/19 at 3:57 pm

Have you scarfed down one of their Impossible Burgers yet?  ???

It's OK, tastes just like a regular whopper.

Written By: 2001 on 12/24/19 at 9:02 am

It's OK, tastes just like a regular whopper.

I also had one. If you didn't tell me it wasn't meat I wouldn't have suspected anything. But knowing that it wasn't meat, something did feel "off" about it, but I can't put my finger on what.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/01/20 at 7:59 pm

I have to admit, I exclusively use the kiosks wherever they are found. I'm a very picky eater, and I hate, hate, hate going up to the counter and saying "Could I get this burger, but without this, this and that, but with this and that" - and they end up looking at me like I've got three heads. With the kiosks, I put in exactly what I want on the order and it goes through like that, and 99% of the time they get it right, and there's no looking at me like there's something wrong with me.

The kiosks have actually enabled me to try a load more menu items from these places that I wouldn't have previously bothered touching due to one or two ingredients I can't stand.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/20 at 2:49 pm

I might want to ask if the manager at Burger King would ever consider putting a kiosk in the restaurant anytime soon?

Check for new replies or respond here...