inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the 2010's more of a liberal or conservative decade?

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/05/19 at 6:45 pm

Personally, I think the 2010's are more of a liberal decade IMO. There's been a lot of push for body positivity, feminism, LGBT acceptance, even gender "non-binary" stuff. A lot of younger people seem to love change in this decade.

Subject: Re: Are the 2010's more of a liberal or conservative decade?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/05/19 at 11:03 pm

Personally, I think the 2010's are more of a liberal decade IMO. There's been a lot of push for body positivity, feminism, LGBT acceptance, even gender "non-binary" stuff. A lot of younger people seem to love change in this decade.

In the 2020s there will no longer be even binary, tertiary or quaternary gender. Instead, by roughly 2025, gender will be a continuum represented by a numeric value. One person may be a 13.213 and another could be completely different at 13.217. The trend for digitalization continues to march forward.

Written By: wixness on 12/05/19 at 11:29 pm

Liberal because of this but I feel like conservative too, because of the more gender conforming aesthetic (well, it screams 90s to me especially with this stupid e-boy trend at least and a lot of the non-binary people I see look rather boyish in my eyes) and because of the less edgy music, as someone who's a fan of rock music for it being subversive as well as its sound generally.

From around 2016 though, the decade's been full of intolerant people and rhetoric so I feel like my suspicions of the 2010s being a more conservative decade have been confirmed.

There's also the fact that technologically, everything's being centralized with the power of the internet, which itself could be argued as more conservative since it only allows culture to exist if it's deemed to be profitable.

I'm hoping the 2020s become even more liberal than either the 2000s or 2010s.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/06/19 at 9:57 am

I would say conservative due to their monstrous backlash. But if you think that began in 2016, you are woefully mistaken.

Written By: wixness on 12/06/19 at 12:21 pm

I would say conservative due to their monstrous backlash. But if you think that began in 2016, you are woefully mistaken.

I do think that the fashion trends from the early 2010s (not counting alternative fashion, maybe) was kind of a backlash from what the late 2000s were trying to achieve IMO - a blurring of genders. My suspicions were more confirmed by 2016 I guess.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/06/19 at 12:54 pm

The thing that comes to mind for me is all the conservatives loudly proclaiming in 2008-2013 that we’re a post-racial society, while also invariably criticizing everything Obama did.

Also we now have literal Nazis crawling around shooting people.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 12/06/19 at 2:15 pm

I think the 2010’s were more liberal than the 2000’s. However the late 2010’s all in all are a bit more conservative here in the states which is pushing liberals to break traditions and test society even more.

Written By: wixness on 12/06/19 at 2:48 pm

I think the 2010’s were more liberal than the 2000’s. However the late 2010’s all in all are a bit more conservative here in the states which is pushing liberals to break traditions and test society even more.

The key thing that spings to my mind regarding a more liberal decade is regarding increased LGBT visibility. It was more acceptable in the 2000s to joke about someone's perceived or actual sexuality if they were deemed not straight. This decade, not so much, or at least it's more heavily contextualized or even subverted.

There's also racial issues brought to light too, which I think should be a bit more obvious. Granted, the 2010s, at least from the mid-2010s, immigration became more and more of a divisive topic because of refugees as well as war and a fragile economy.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 12/07/19 at 12:00 am

The key thing that spings to my mind regarding a more liberal decade is regarding increased LGBT visibility. It was more acceptable in the 2000s to joke about someone's perceived or actual sexuality if they were deemed not straight. This decade, not so much, or at least it's more heavily contextualized or even subverted.

There's also racial issues brought to light too, which I think should be a bit more obvious. Granted, the 2010s, at least from the mid-2010s, immigration became more and more of a divisive topic because of refugees as well as war and a fragile economy.

Yeah I agree with all of this.  I’m gay and I remember songs Especially in rap music during those times used words like “Fa**ot” and other derogatory terms. I got bullied a lot as a kid unfortunately. I was so conditioned to it that it didn’t really bother me tho. Now days if a rapper or song writer uses any type if slur they risk their career. PC culture is very high which makes this decade feel more liberal than what it is. After 9/11 I feel like our country became more conservative in the 2000’s which is another reason fashion was so bland during those times. Also I just remembered the word “Retarted” was used A LOT.

Written By: wixness on 12/07/19 at 7:48 am

Yeah I agree with all of this.  I’m gay and I remember songs Especially in rap music during those times used words like “Fa**ot” and other derogatory terms. I got bullied a lot as a kid unfortunately. I was so conditioned to it that it didn’t really bother me tho. Now days if a rapper or song writer uses any type if slur they risk their career. PC culture is very high which makes this decade feel more liberal than what it is. After 9/11 I feel like our country became more conservative in the 2000’s which is another reason fashion was so bland during those times. Also I just remembered the word “Retarted” was used A LOT.

I still think overall, the 2010s are more conservative because guys stopped wearing their hair long as much, rock music isn't so much a thing and people are more willing to let companies keep and lose the music they like for them rather than buy it or even pirate it.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/07/19 at 11:37 am

I still think overall, the 2010s are more conservative because guys stopped wearing their hair long as much, rock music isn't so much a thing and people are more willing to let companies keep and lose the music they like for them rather than buy it or even pirate it.

And rock music can’t even be considered rebellious anymore, considering it’s been fully co-opted by corporations.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/07/19 at 2:30 pm

And rock music can’t even be considered rebellious anymore, considering it’s been fully co-opted by corporations.

It has been fully co-opted since the mid-70s. It barely exists now.

Written By: wixness on 12/07/19 at 2:55 pm

To me, regarding rock music, I feel like that I'm rather attached to it. It's so far been the only genre to me that's been particularly edgy against the status quo especially in terms of gender, sexuality and religion. It has the aesthetic I happen to like too. I'm not sure what can replace it for me, really.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 12/09/19 at 4:32 am

I agree although I’d say with all the gender neutral clothing especially amongst our new rappers (wearing skirts, dresses, tight jeans, etc),  the 2010’s are a bit more lenient and liberal compared to last decade. Gender non conformity wasn’t much of a thing in the 90’s and 2000’s and those people who were rebellious , non conforming or even admired Marilyn Manson were considered “freaks” and put on the Jerry springer show as if they were circus animals. I  do feel like the androgynous look of the 90’s is coming back tho. I hope next decade is more open minded to boys growing out their hair again. I thought (and still think) guys with long hair is awesome :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/09/19 at 10:34 am

I agree although I’d say with all the gender neutral clothing especially amongst our new rappers (wearing skirts, dresses, tight jeans, etc),  the 2010’s are a bit more lenient and liberal compared to last decade. Gender non conformity wasn’t much of a thing in the 90’s and 2000’s and those people who were rebellious , non conforming or even admired Marilyn Manson were considered “freaks” and put on the Jerry springer show as if they were circus animals. I  do feel like the androgynous look of the 90’s is coming back tho. I hope next decade is more open minded to boys growing out their hair again. I thought (and still think) guys with long hair is awesome :)

There's nothing new under the sun, really. In the 60s and 70s, (up until about 1976), pretty much all guys had long hair to one degree or another. And the early 70s was the golden age of glam rock androgyny. You even had relatively macho guys putting on makeup and calling themselves "Alice Cooper".  The difference being that people back then kind of embraced their "outsider" status and today everybody wants to assimilate into the mainstream.

Written By: wixness on 12/09/19 at 12:03 pm

I agree although I’d say with all the gender neutral clothing especially amongst our new rappers (wearing skirts, dresses, tight jeans, etc),  the 2010’s are a bit more lenient and liberal compared to last decade.

I genuinely find this great to read, but unfortunately, rap music isn't my taste. I'm not as attached to it either too - it doesn't seem to have the same vibe for me that satisfies me compared to the likes of generally rock music.

I  do feel like the androgynous look of the 90’s is coming back tho. I hope next decade is more open minded to boys growing out their hair again. I thought (and still think) guys with long hair is awesome :)

Yeah, but I hope they get rid of those 90s bangs ASAP though.

There's nothing new under the sun, really. In the 60s and 70s, (up until about 1976), pretty much all guys had long hair to one degree or another. And the early 70s was the golden age of glam rock androgyny. You even had relatively macho guys putting on makeup and calling themselves "Alice Cooper".  The difference being that people back then kind of embraced their "outsider" status and today everybody wants to assimilate into the mainstream.

I can see where you're coming from with this.

Written By: Emman on 12/09/19 at 9:26 pm

Its been largely a neoliberal decade with the media, Holloywood, ect pushing woke captial but also the start of a backlash against neoliberalism in the form of populism.

Written By: wixness on 12/10/19 at 5:11 am

Its been largely a neoliberal decade with the media, Holloywood, ect pushing woke captial but also the start of a backlash against neoliberalism in the form of populism.

They may at least look woke, but money is still their top priority. Look at how YouTube still lets especially high profile white supremacists operate. I've posted about this in a separate thread.

As for the people themselves, they're just going to be divided as a result of the increased visibility of the far right, when last decade, they were still just a fringe phenomenon. The left may at least appear intolerant, but they're not forcing gender roles, are not defending just one race and are not forcing people into faiths.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/10/19 at 7:17 am

As for the people themselves, they're just going to be divided as a result of the increased visibility of the far right, when last decade, they were still just a fringe phenomenon. The left may at least appear intolerant, but they're not forcing gender roles, are not defending just one race and are not forcing people into faiths.

Or throwing people in concentration camps, or shooting up schools and clubs, or trying to take away people’s right to vote, or...

Written By: Slim95 on 12/12/19 at 3:39 am

Liberal obviously.

Written By: goodbants on 07/16/20 at 8:56 pm

It was liberal with a lot of conservative pushback.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 07/16/20 at 11:02 pm

Liberal though, there was a real backlash against the liberal culture (which became obvious in 2016). As a matter of fact, I think the late 2010s were quite conservative compared to most of the decade. The 2000s are kind of the same but reversed. The early 2000s were pretty ultra conservative but, throughout the mid 2000s there was a backlash against the conservatism and Bush. This led the late 2000s to be pretty liberal, especially compared to the early 2000s.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/17/20 at 5:52 am

Liberal though, there was a real backlash against the liberal culture (which became obvious in 2016). As a matter of fact, I think the late 2010s were quite conservative compared to most of the decade. The 2000s are kind of the same but reversed. The early 2000s were pretty ultra conservative but, throughout the mid 2000s there was a backlash against the conservatism and Bush. This led the late 2000s to be pretty liberal, especially compared to the early 2000s.

That would certainly serve to explain why I feel nostalgic for the mid-to-late 2000s only, to the exclusion of the rest of the decade.

Written By: Sman12 on 07/17/20 at 5:19 pm

Mostly progressive-liberal with highly significant populist conservative movements throughout the decade (Tea Party in the early 2010s to the alt-lite conservatism in the late 2010s, for example).

Written By: #Infinity on 07/19/20 at 5:10 pm

I would call them more liberal overall. Even with the conservative backlash in the late 2010s, Trump only barely won the 2016 election, in contrast to Reagan and Bush's landslides in the '80s, and outside of the alt-right-o-sphere, mainstream popular culture only became more pronounced in its progressiveness after Trump took over.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/20 at 12:21 am

I'm not sure liberal and conservative are even the right categories. I'd say it was economically conservative, starting shortly after the bailout of "too big to fail" institutions and politicians ignoring the message of protests like Occupy Wall St., and yet the decade was very socially liberal, with gay marriage being legalized, LGBT, BLM-type movements starting after Trayvon Martin's killing etc. So on the whole I would call the decade "neoliberal," because neoliberalism basically means economic conservatism qua liberalization of markets and government support for large businesses, and libertine attitudes about culture.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/20 at 12:25 am

By the way, why does it say "Bud Ice Penguin" under my screen name?  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...