inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thing that you hated most about the 2010’s

Written By: duenas8 on 12/14/19 at 9:33 pm

:o >:(

Subject: Re: Thing that you hated most about the 2010’s

Written By: wixness on 12/15/19 at 6:33 am

The gender conforming fashion, the random sounding music and the fact that everything's locked behind DRM so people can't really keep the stuff they pay for.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/19 at 7:08 am

*those stupid challenges

* too many mass shootings

* everyone became too PC

Written By: duenas8 on 12/15/19 at 7:34 am

*those stupid challenges

* too many mass shootings

* everyone became too PC

The “Pass out challenge” is one of the most stupid challenges that I remember and also one of the oldest
q6gOKhlesEs

The gender conforming fashion, the random sounding music and the fact that everything's locked behind DRM so people can't really keep the stuff they pay for.

Digital technology was implemented in favor of the market, not for the people, DRM is an example. The tech industry isn’t the thing that I hate most about the 2010’s, but it’s one of the biggest sins of the decade and it will have terrible consequences in the future

Written By: Sman12 on 12/15/19 at 11:07 am

Oversaturation of movie/TV reboots and remakes.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/15/19 at 12:33 pm

Music and graphic design going for a darker aesthetic. Mumble rap, Alternative/Indie, and Emo trap sucks. Late 2013 to 2016 had a more colorful and simple/minimalist vibe, while the late 2016 to present aesthetic is just dark and depressing.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/19 at 1:47 pm

The “Pass out challenge” is one of the most stupid challenges that I remember and also one of the oldest
q6gOKhlesEs
Digital technology was implemented in favor of the market, not for the people, DRM is an example. The tech industry isn’t the thing that I hate most about the 2010’s, but it’s one of the biggest sins of the decade and it will have terrible consequences in the future

How about The Tide Pod challenge or even the stupid cinnamon challenge?  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/19 at 10:38 pm

Social media. It's starting to become too much. Even I can't help myself, but it's hard when everyone else around you is doing it too.  :-\\

And it's not like it's benign either. I still do wonder if that genocide in Myanmar would have ever happened or if Russia would have gotten away with the Crimea invasion if it weren't for social media.

To an extent it's always been like this. In 2007 I used to be on MSN chatrooms all day, but at least back then my brother used to sit beside me on our one computer, and we would chat with people together. And once I stepped outside of my room there was no more social media. Now we all have our own phones and we're looking down and plugging into our own little world away from everyone else. I think this social media addiction is going to get worse before we have any hope of it getting better. People are jumping onto TikTok and other new social media too, the trend shows absolutely no sign of slowing down.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/19 at 4:29 am

Well I feel like pop culture went really downhill in 2017. So I hate mainly the music and culture especially since then. I mean it went downhill way before that but the decade's culture in general went downhill in 2016/2017. For some reason while Trump was president, music just really, really sucked... For the 2010s in general, it was definitely the decade from hell. The 2000s were way better

Written By: Howard on 12/16/19 at 7:07 am

Social media. It's starting to become too much. Even I can't help myself, but it's hard when everyone else around you is doing it too.  :-\\

And it's not like it's benign either. I still do wonder if that genocide in Myanmar would have ever happened or if Russia would have gotten away with the Crimea invasion if it weren't for social media.

To an extent it's always been like this. In 2007 I used to be on MSN chatrooms all day, but at least back then my brother used to sit beside me on our one computer, and we would chat with people together. And once I stepped outside of my room there was no more social media. Now we all have our own phones and we're looking down and plugging into our own little world away from everyone else. I think this social media addiction is going to get worse before we have any hope of it getting better. People are jumping onto TikTok and other new social media too, the trend shows absolutely no sign of slowing down.

Slowpoke, I remember chatrooms back during the mid to late 2000's back before most people had smartphones.

Written By: man 2000 on 12/16/19 at 2:50 pm

2019 will be remember for how the entire 2010s decade sucked so much. This decade didn't have any good tv shows or any good movies or even good music for that matter, even the commercials suck so bad.

Early 2000s were okay but there weren't perfect, but at least it did have some good tv shows, good tv commercials, good movies, and some good music.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/19 at 2:55 pm

2019 will be remember for how the entire 2010s decade sucked so much. This decade didn't have any good tv shows or any good movies or even good music for that matter, even the commercials suck so bad.

Early 2000s were okay but there weren't perfect, but at least it did have some good tv shows, good tv commercials, good movies, and some good music.

True. The decade sucked a lot.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/17/19 at 2:10 pm

Politics
Mass shootings
Cancel culture
SJW vs. Alt-right
Reboots
Pop music. The hip-hop is actually very good, but all the pop music since like 2015/2016 just sounds the same to me.

Written By: Sman12 on 12/17/19 at 2:43 pm

I feel as if you're generalizing the entire decade for not having ANYTHING good.

Come on, there has to be SOMETHING to like about this decade (like all decades).

Written By: man 2000 on 12/18/19 at 4:06 am

I feel as if you're generalizing the entire decade for not having ANYTHING good.

Come on, there has to be SOMETHING to like about this decade (like all decades).

I can't really think of anything good that came out of this decade.

If you like this decade that is okay.

You have a right to your own opinions.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/19/19 at 7:17 pm

Outright hatred towards my counterculture.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/20 at 6:16 pm

What did I hate about the 2010s?

1.  My Mother died.

2.  My best friend hanged himself.

3.  My next best friend died of a heart attack.

4.  My adopted niece ghosted me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/19/20 at 6:37 pm

1.  My Mother died.

I am so sorry.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

(((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))

Cat

Written By: Sman12 on 02/20/20 at 11:05 am

1.  My Mother died.

I feel you, man. My mom died back in 2014, and while I moved on from the pain and agony, I still think about her from time to time.

Written By: J. Rob on 02/20/20 at 1:56 pm

I absolutely despise how divided our country became during the 2010s. By far my least favorite decade of my life and I was born in 1985

Oh yeah, my mom died in 2015, so yeah.....even more of a reason

Written By: Sman12 on 02/20/20 at 3:36 pm

I absolutely despise how divided our country became during the 2010s. By far my least favorite decade of my life and I was born in 1985

Oh yeah, my mom died in 2015, so yeah.....even more of a reason

Your mom, too? Sorry to hear that, man.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/22/20 at 3:53 pm

Politics will always be the absolute worst thing about the 2010's hands down. Race relations have gotten worse. The SJW vs. Anti-SJW thing was (and still kinda is) very popular. We're way more divided than we were even in the 2000's.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/22/20 at 8:42 pm

Politics will always be the absolute worst thing about the 2010's hands down. Race relations have gotten worse. The SJW vs. Anti-SJW thing was (and still kinda is) very popular. We're way more divided than we were even in the 2000's.

I agree with your sentiment. Not only that, but the news media really took a downturn in journalistic integrity and misinformation spread like wildfire on social media. You just don't know who to really trust anymore.

Written By: wixness on 02/23/20 at 6:06 pm

I agree with your sentiment. Not only that, but the news media really took a downturn in journalistic integrity and misinformation spread like wildfire on social media. You just don't know who to really trust anymore.

I'm now more likely to trust anarchist and/or non-profit sources these days, a sort of "word-of-mouth" outlet. Mainstream news outlets can discuss stuff mainly to profit even if it comes at the economic (or otherwise) expense of others. An LGBT news source I've been reading seems to love giving Mayo Pete a platform - they do write about racism but Buttigieg has had a history of racism.

I do feel like a hypocrite right now for having a couple of DW tabs (a German news source which may err on the mainstream side, but I found this via an anarchist source I discovered recently), but it's got a few articles that sources like the BBC and CNN aren't really covering so much - the increasingly repressive nature of Turkish politics.

My parents religiously watch BBC, CNN and Al Jazeera, and occasionally NHK and Sky News as part of their cable TV subscription. The BBC for necessary local affairs and the weather, and CNN and Al Jazeera because they love its international focus. I am wary of Al Jazeera because of Qatar's terrible kafala system (which treats migrant workers terribly by denying them autonomy) - I hear Qatar are moving away from it according to the non-profit Freedom United as a result of pressure, but Qatar still has a ton of problems. Then again, my parents came from a time when computers more powerful and portable than the Apollo Guidance Computer weren't really mainstream, so they feel more comfortable watching news from these outlets.

They do consume news on their smartphones though, but mostly related to affairs from the Philippines (or what aligns closely to more conservative Filipino values) or whatever stuff the MLM schemes they're part of are shilling. I suspect they shill Duterte too.

Written By: imrane on 02/24/20 at 11:02 am

1. Trump
2. The peak in terrorism since 2014 in Europe.

3. The peak in xenophobia. It has exploded in the West, particularly in the USA with Trump. The Netherlands was very accommodating for me back in 2014, but right now if I go there I'll be treated as a second class citizen as they have a Trump-like politician blaming Eastern Europeans for all evils in the world. A right-winger recently shot people in Germany. Traveling abroad/being expat is not longer as good an option.

I now taste it every day from many of my American clients. "Are you in Europe? Like Bulgarian or Romanian? You're not one of those Albanians by any chance, are you?" -- a client. :-X I also constantly get people picking up on me and bullying me due to the smallest accent/mistakes. :o

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND A WORLD YOU SAY!"
A total effin' lie! They really do, they just want to show me how proud they're now they can be freely racist and xenophobic that Trump's in office. I really had another view of Americans being more tolerant than many others but something has been unleashed in the USA. So long progressive values, I no longer apply for a green card after these instances and vowed to avoid working/doing business with US-based/owned corporations if I can. :\'( Nothing against the tolerant US people, but getting abuse causes me PTSD-like symptoms everyday at work and I feel sick and tired with it all!

4. Mumble rap - please stop that sh...!

5. Big corporations becoming ever more abusive towards workers and everything in Eastern Europe becoming a call center/back office sweatshop.

Most of the things I hate most started in the second half of the decade it seems!

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 02/24/20 at 8:30 pm

4. Mumble rap - please stop that sh...!

I cannot put into words how quickly I become pissed when someone is blaring that crap so loudly through their car that you can hear it through the windows. I don't hate someone for liking that music, but I wish they would play it so that nobody else would have to listen to it.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/24/20 at 8:43 pm

1. News about the Kartrashians
2. Hype over Adventure Time (those cartoons are too easy to draw)
3. The transition Instagram went through
4. YOLO
5. The fashion
6. Adele (All of her 2010s sounded the same)
7. Gangnam Style (stupid sounding dance song)
8. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball
9. Trump tweets
10. Mumbling in music

Written By: wixness on 02/25/20 at 8:00 am

4. YOLO
5. The fashion
9. Trump tweets
10. Mumbling in music
1. Don't care about them.
2. Kind of agree here but I avoid the show for personal reasons.
3. I avoid Instagram.
4. 2010s slang is terrible IMO.
5. 2010s fashion appears more gender conforming at least with the hair; kind of hypocritical in a decade that claims to be all about LGBT+ rights and IMO it's pretty darn frustrating.
6. She's deemed one of the "good" artists out there but yeah, her music sounds awful to me. Her choice of melody stinks IMO.
7. This is the only thing I don't agree with you. The sound, yes, may not be to everyone's taste, but I like its quirkiness and how it became one of the first songs from South Korea to get international attention. The last time a non-English song got this much attention was in the 2000s with Dragostea din Tei (and various local versions sharing the same melody).
8. Didn't really pay attention to her so doesn't matter.
9. Nothing more needs to be said about this - I am someone who hates the world's politics as it has been, arguably since the 80s even though I wasn't born then.
10. Haven't really paid attention to new music much so I can't really say here.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/25/20 at 8:22 am

4. YOLO
5. The fashion
9. Trump tweets
10. Mumbling in music

Despite its simplistic art style, Adventure Time was a great show to me. It had character development, intricate storylines (see "Simon and Marcy", for example), memorable characters, and witty, surreal humor that I enjoyed.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/25/20 at 10:03 am

1.Demise of music television
2.Social media dictating pop culture
3.People calling every music artist a "legend"
4.Too much ambient R&B
5. Lack of promient black female R&B artists
6.That stupid stupid indie/british accent that everyone sings with
7.Stan culture
8. Lack of phone designs (post early 2010s)
9. The fact that everyone thinks they should be a rapper.
10. Lack of vocally talented people in mainstream.
11. Politics, mass shootings, terrorism

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 12:40 pm

The 90s kid memes. Annoying.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/25/20 at 12:42 pm

Definitely the political culture. Not talking about left or right. Just politics in general was horrible in the 2010s.

Written By: wixness on 02/25/20 at 8:12 pm

1.Demise of music television
2.Social media dictating pop culture
3.People calling every music artist a "legend"
4.Too much ambient R&B
5. Lack of promient black female R&B artists
6.That stupid stupid indie/british accent that everyone sings with
7.Stan culture
8. Lack of phone designs (post early 2010s)
9. The fact that everyone thinks they should be a rapper.
10. Lack of vocally talented people in mainstream.
11. Politics, mass shootings, terrorism
Regarding 6, it may have been worse with pop punk music in the 2000s. While I'm not a fan of it either, I see it as a way of British artists particularly trying to reclaim what they think has been forced Americanization unto them.

7, it's led to cancel culture (which has been legitimately exercised in many cases though, e.g. Weinstein, Spacey).

9, agreed, but that's because in many (not all) cases, rap isn't my taste.

10, the choice of melody people have this decade is terrible.

Written By: The Master on 02/26/20 at 2:01 am

I couldn’t pick only one thing to vote for, almost all of aspects of that decade were garbage. It makes me sick.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/26/20 at 5:06 am

Regarding 6, it may have been worse with pop punk music in the 2000s. While I'm not a fan of it either, I see it as a way of British artists particularly trying to reclaim what they think has been forced Americanization unto them.

You're right, but that accent has been used in rock music for a long time, especially punk rock. It has for the most part stayed restricted to that genre. Now it has spread to pop, edm, r&b and rap music. 90% of these artists aren't even British so they aren't trying to reclaim their British roots lol. They are just being annoying. I really hope it stops this decade.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/20 at 5:24 am

Definitely 'Sequels', for in a way it shows signs of originality and trying to cash in on a big seller, and it sequel sometimes bombs.

Written By: imrane on 02/26/20 at 10:27 am

You're right, but that accent has been used in rock music for a long time, especially punk rock. It has for the most part stayed restricted to that genre. Now it has spread to pop, edm, r&b and rap music. 90% of these artists aren't even British so they aren't trying to reclaim their British roots lol. They are just being annoying. I really hope it stops this decade.

Can you name any examples? I can't think of anyone really but I don't follow much modern music.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/26/20 at 10:33 am

Definitely 'Sequels', for in a way it shows signs of originality and trying to cash in on a big seller, and it sequel sometimes bombs.

There's also now a Mulan live-action reboot coming out. These superhero movies/sequels/reboots really do show Hollywood's creative decline.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/26/20 at 2:10 pm

Minimalist art.

Written By: MSP10julia on 02/26/20 at 11:08 pm

One thing that I hate about the last decade is how the K-Pop fans posted on Social Media.

1. Most of them are fans of BTS, EXO,TWICE, BlackPink, NCT, Monsta X, and LOONA
2. They spam gifs and fancam videos of anything not related to K-Pop music
3. They like Jimin and Jungkook from BTS
4. They cyber-bullied people who hate this genre.
5. They love using the word "Stan"
6. They made fun of celebrity deaths

Written By: Sman12 on 02/27/20 at 7:40 am

One thing that I hate about the last decade is how the K-Pop fans posted on Social Media.

2. They spam gifs and videos of anything not related to K-Pop music

I loathe stan culture, but the K-Pop stans are probably the worst that I've seen because of your aforementioned points. While I'm not a fan of K-Pop, I do feel sorry for K-pop fans who have to put up with the BS from them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/20 at 7:42 am

2. They spam gifs and videos of anything not related to K-Pop music

What is this use of the word "Stan" thing?

Written By: Sman12 on 02/27/20 at 7:54 am

What is this use of the word "Stan" thing?

The term is a combination of "stalker" and "fan". It's used when a fan goes to extreme lengths to express their favorite artists. It was popularized by Eminem from his song "Stan".

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/20 at 8:02 am

The term is a combination of "stalker" and "fan". It's used when a fan goes to extreme lengths to express their favorite artists. It was popularized by Eminem from his song "Stan".
Thenk you.

Similar to 'chugger' a person who approaches passers-by in the street asking for subscriptions or donations to a particular charity, a combination of 'charity' and 'mugger'.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/27/20 at 9:24 am

It's crazy how this forum goes overboard with the 2010's decade (I don't even think it was as bad as a lot of users are making it out to be), yet I remember how badly the 2000's were hated on around this time 10-13 years ago. You used to hear it over and over again from 80's babies & early 90's babies how all the pop culture went dead by New Years 2000 because of the new millennium, September 11, 2001 because of 9/11, or 2004 because of the end of the all leftover 90's remnants or whatever that were still extended through the early 2000's. It got so irritating and tiring to the point where everybody was like "damn I feel so bad for those who really enjoyed the 2000's with all the pop culture it offered." Like was it really that bad? No. So I don't even bother in these 2010's hate discussions because it's a waste of my time and it's nothing I haven't already seen a decade ago on the web, and besides, the 2010's decade wasn't even that bad. Sure it wasn't perfect and trust me, there are years of this decade I couldn't stand especially 2016, but there were still a lot of highlights and memorable moments.

Written By: mc98 on 02/27/20 at 9:42 am

It's crazy how this forum goes overboard with the 2010's decade (I don't even think it was as bad as a lot of users are making it out to be), yet I remember how badly the 2000's were hated on around this time 10-13 years ago. You used to hear it over and over again from 80's babies & early 90's babies how all the pop culture went dead by New Years 2000 because of the new millennium, September 11, 2001 because of 9/11, or 2004 because of the end of the all leftover 90's remnants or whatever that were still extended through the early 2000's. It got so irritating and tiring to the point where everybody was like "damn I feel so bad for those who really enjoyed the 2000's with all the pop culture it offered." Like was it really that bad? No. So I don't even bother in these 2010's hate discussions because it's a waste of my time and it's nothing I haven't already seen a decade ago on the web, and besides, the 2010's decade wasn't even that bad. Sure it wasn't perfect and trust me, there are years of this decade I couldn't stand especially 2016, but there were still a lot of highlights and memorable moments.

THIS. I agree that people were being too harsh on the 2010s. I personally despise the politics of the 2010s, especially the second half, but I like everything else the decade has to offer. I have a feeling by the 2030s/40s, people will be nostalgic to the 2010s like the 1970s/1980s were nostalgic to the 50s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/27/20 at 10:12 am

Can you name any examples? I can't think of anyone really but I don't follow much modern music.

Sure.

Ariana Grande uses it all the time. I can't post a song tho because I can't tolerate any Ariana Grande song, but I'm sure if you just click on any random song of hers you'll hear it being used.

Here are some examples,

by3yRdlQvzs

hHXfCOjb3fk
SZA is notorious for using the accent but it's more caribbean or indie. People kept telling her using that accent was going to mess up her voice. Her voice did in fact end up deteriorating, and using that accent (aka improper vocal technique) probably contributed to it. It may be one reason why a lot of mainstream artists can't sing today.

TEDno-C-ffQ
This video goes into detail.

I really hope they stop this nonesense in the new decade and go back to singing.

Written By: The Master on 02/27/20 at 12:33 pm

Those people who thought the 2000s were bad, were in for a rude awakening and I wish people would stop using 9/11 this ONE (very terrible, yes) incident that happened at the very beginning to make out as if the WHOLE decade was bad because of it. Not everyone lived in America at the time, not everyone lived in New York, not everyone was old enough to remember it therefore not everyone was affected by it.

All the highlights and memorable moments during the 2010s were negative. The cons outweighed the pros during the 2010s. Face it, it was a horrible godawful decade.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/27/20 at 4:45 pm

Those people who thought the 2000s were bad, were in for a rude awakening and I wish people would stop using 9/11 this ONE (very terrible, yes) incident that happened at the very beginning to make out as if the WHOLE decade was bad because of it. Not everyone lived in America at the time, not everyone lived in New York, not everyone was old enough to remember it therefore not everyone was affected by it.

All the highlights and memorable moments during the 2010s were negative. The cons outweighed the pros during the 2010s. Face it, it was a horrible godawful decade.

Personally, I liked the 2010s. Some of my favorite artists came from the past decade like Kendrick Lamar, Denzel Curry, Tyler the Creator, and Frank Ocean.

I also like great games such as The Last of Us, Mario Odyssey, Zelda: BoTW, Portal 2, etc.

I also really enjoy innovations like VR, streaming media, and evolving smartphone designs.

While politics may have sucked more in the later part of the decade, there are still some positives to be had about the 2010s.

Written By: The Master on 02/27/20 at 7:27 pm

Personally, I liked the 2010s. Some of my favorite artists came from the past decade like Kendrick Lamar, Denzel Curry, Tyler the Creator, and Frank Ocean.

I also like great games such as The Last of Us, Mario Odyssey, Zelda: BoTW, Portal 2, etc.

I also really enjoy innovations like VR, streaming media, and evolving smartphone designs.

While politics may have sucked more in the later part of the decade, there are still some positives to be had about the 2010s.

Kendrick Lamar is an amazing artist, I'll give you that. It wasn't 100% bad, personally the negatives outweighed the positives. I understand everyone doesn't experience the decade the same but there was just a more freer atmosphere in the decades prior to the 2010s. Social media imo is one big reason.

Written By: man 2000 on 02/28/20 at 10:22 pm

The 2000s were a really bad decade all together, i  had a lot of personal issues of my life during the 00s that made me dislike them.

The 2010s were a very depressing time in history and the 2010s were seen as a very awful decade and down right rotten decade.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 10:25 pm

The 2000s were a really bad decade all together, i  had a lot of personal issues of my life during the 00s that made me dislike them.

The 2010s were a very depressing time in history and the 2010s were seen as a very awful decade and down right rotten decade.

Getting to the 21st Century > Living in the 21st Century

Written By: man 2000 on 02/28/20 at 11:41 pm

Getting to the 21st Century > Living in the 21st Century

True. We are living in the 21st Century, i can't forget something like that.

Written By: nally on 02/28/20 at 11:44 pm

Two words: Tronald Dump. (And everything associated with him.)

Written By: 2001 on 02/29/20 at 6:55 pm

When I was a kid I did always wonder "why do people sing in British accents?" It was especially obvious with Britney Spears (Baby hit me one mo' time)

Written By: imrane on 03/01/20 at 4:54 pm

I still think 2010-2014 had many good stuff. Better fashion, music and pop culture than now imo. 2015 was the start of the decline. Most of all at that time I was still a student, since 2017 I've worked in several big corporations. I hate the 9 to 5 slavery!

Written By: mqg96 on 03/03/20 at 6:02 am

Sorry dude, that super brief opinion of yours on the bottom about the 2010's isn't going to get you anywhere with an argument. That's a very generic way too common opinion I used to see with people complaining about the 2000's years ago, and it wasn't just 9/11, there was a lot more pop culture & world events people complained about when it came to the 00's. People would complain about how bland the fashion was compared to the 80's or 90's, how it was the start of the (lame) digital age and how they missed the analog age, how the 00's was the death of music, George Bush, how the 00's for TV & entertainment were terrible compared to the 90's, blah blah blah and so forth. Like I said it got to the point where you felt sorry for those who loved the 2000's, it was that bad back then. It goes even deeper but I don't have time to get into it right now.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/03/20 at 11:12 am

I still think 2010-2014 had many good stuff. Better fashion, music and pop culture than now imo. 2015 was the start of the decline. Most of all at that time I was still a student, since 2017 I've worked in several big corporations. I hate the 9 to 5 slavery!

2010-2015 were great, but I think 2016 was also a great time for albums and the music industry being explosive as ever: Beyoncé's Lemonade and the hype surrounding that, Blonde by Frank Ocean, Blackstar by David Bowie, Anti by Rihanna, The Life of Pablo by Kanye West, amongst others.

2016 may have sucked for other things, but I can appreciate some positives of it.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/03/20 at 2:14 pm

I hate how the 90s revival pretty much became the 90s and early 2000s Nicktoons revival.

Written By: The Master on 03/03/20 at 4:45 pm

Sorry dude, that super brief opinion of yours on the bottom about the 2010's isn't going to get you anywhere with an argument. That's a very generic way too common opinion I used to see with people complaining about the 2000's years ago, and it wasn't just 9/11, there was a lot more pop culture & world events people complained about when it came to the 00's. People would complain about how bland the fashion was compared to the 80's or 90's, how it was the start of the (lame) digital age and how they missed the analog age, how the 00's was the death of music, George Bush, how the 00's for TV & entertainment were terrible compared to the 90's, blah blah blah and so forth. Like I said it got to the point where you felt sorry for those who loved the 2000's, it was that bad back then. It goes even deeper but I don't have time to get into it right now.

It was super brief because I couldn't be bothered to go into the reasons why the 2010s were awful and IMO worse the 2000s. I think the reasons why 2010s were an awful are decade are pretty obvious I don't need to go into it. The 2000s may have started the digital age and BS like social media but the 10s took it overboard and made it inescapable.

I just feel like people are/were way faker, shallow and hypersensitive during the 10s/now era. Everything is tied to social media, you can't even get certain jobs without it! Your worth is based on how much followers and likes you have and if you don't have alot your worthless blah blah. Its just BS. The remakes, lack of creativity in entertainment, the politics, people recording everything especially situations that could require help not doing anything because they rather post it on SM for clout, etc... It's alot of reasons I cba to list. I feel like in the 2000s there was a balance between the online world and the real world. In the 10s/now era Moments don't feel authentic, people aren't as authentic.

The ONLY thing 2010s may have the 2000s beat in is the general fashion. But even then I'm not a fan of the 2010s/current era fashion either (I prefer my jeans loose/baggy).

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 12:05 pm

Cyclists and runners on the sidewalk (they are called sideWALKS for a reason)

Everyone having dogs (I hate dogs)

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/21/21 at 5:11 pm

How bland, minimalistic and artificial everything feels. sh***y autotune emo pop, mumble rap and weird trap edm stuff everywhere. Soulless movies. Constant political sheesh flinging contests. Distasteful youth culture. Everyone focused on social media. Obnoxious post-irony humor and repetitive memes everywhere. Dull yet simultaneously slutty fashion.

Also my personal life which was great in the first half but went to complete sh** overnight in the summer of '14. Kind of like how a rollercoaster slowly goes up to the peak and then comes crashing down.

Written By: CarCar on 08/22/21 at 10:11 am

The obsession with the 80s and 90s.
I’m sorry who was this stuff actually for ? It was overdone and overrated

Written By: CarCar on 08/22/21 at 10:16 am

It was super brief because I couldn't be bothered to go into the reasons why the 2010s were awful and IMO worse the 2000s. I think the reasons why 2010s were an awful are decade are pretty obvious I don't need to go into it. The 2000s may have started the digital age and BS like social media but the 10s took it overboard and made it inescapable.

I just feel like people are/were way faker, shallow and hypersensitive during the 10s/now era. Everything is tied to social media, you can't even get certain jobs without it! Your worth is based on how much followers and likes you have and if you don't have alot your worthless blah blah. Its just BS. The remakes, lack of creativity in entertainment, the politics, people recording everything especially situations that could require help not doing anything because they rather post it on SM for clout, etc... It's alot of reasons I cba to list. I feel like in the 2000s there was a balance between the online world and the real world. In the 10s/now era Moments don't feel authentic, people aren't as authentic.

The ONLY thing 2010s may have the 2000s beat in is the general fashion. But even then I'm not a fan of the 2010s/current era fashion either (I prefer my jeans loose/baggy).

The 2000s has shows like MTV cribs, people like Paris Hilton glamorized and offensive humor that offered nothing in return other then just offending. What was so great about that ?

The 2000s sound just as shallow if not more then the 2010s

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/22/21 at 12:55 pm

The 2000s has shows like MTV cribs, people like Paris Hilton glamorized and offensive humor that offered nothing in return other then just offending. What was so great about that ?

The 2010s takes the above to a whole new level.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/22/21 at 1:03 pm

And all that started in earnest in the 80s. The materialism. the shallowness. Reagan legitimized greed. All of this later went into hyperdrive in the 21st Century with the advent of social media. We have truly never recovered from the 1980s.

Written By: Contigo on 08/22/21 at 4:45 pm

And all that started in earnest in the 80s. The materialism. the shallowness. Reagan legitimized greed. All of this later went into hyperdrive in the 21st Century with the advent of social media. We have truly never recovered from the 1980s.

This is so true.  Never thought about it all that much but I agree. 

Written By: violet_shy on 08/22/21 at 5:43 pm

May I ask why you feel that the 1980s were shallow? I grew up in the 80s and my elders, teachers never taught us to be shallow or materialistic or greedy. Maybe it was only political? I watched EVERYTHING in the 80s and none of it seemed shallow. Where are you getting this? Sorry. I'm just curious to know.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/22/21 at 5:56 pm

May I ask why you feel that the 1980s were shallow? I grew up in the 80s and my elders, teachers never taught us to be shallow or materialistic or greedy. Maybe it was only political? I watched EVERYTHING in the 80s and none of it seemed shallow. Where are you getting this? Sorry. I'm just curious to know.

-Dallas
-Dynasty
-Valley Girl
-Wall Street
-Pretty in Pink
-16 Candles
-Fast Times at Ridgemount High
-Revenge of the Nerds

Just to name a few but I could go on.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/22/21 at 5:58 pm

-Dallas
-Dynasty
-Valley Girl
-Wall Street
-Pretty in Pink
-16 Candles
-Revenge of the Nerds

Cat

You forgot "Top Gun". Hoo boy!  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/22/21 at 6:01 pm

You forgot "Top Gun". Hoo boy!  :D

I "forgot" a lot. I would be sitting here all night if I made a "complete" list.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/22/21 at 6:04 pm

Quite a difference in message between these two, wouldn't you say? Not to mention one has very organic production and is played by actual musicians playing musical instruments, and one is all electronic trickery with no real musical instruments.

George Harrison
"Living In the Material World"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-xsfEOnR1k&list=PL__hFoOM0DbWrmDSPZlr1r2NKq5g6XsmT&index=6

Madonna
"Material Girl"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO9h1fQU_-k

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/22/21 at 6:15 pm

-Dallas
-Dynasty
-Valley Girl
-Wall Street
-Pretty in Pink
-16 Candles
-Revenge of the Nerds

Cat

And to give a frame of reference, here are some movies of depth and quality from the 60s & 70s era of "New Hollywood". We went from these to what Cat listed. It was like going from sixty to zero.

The Graduate
Bonnie & Clyde
Easy Rider
The Godfather
2001: A Space Odyssey
Dog Day Afternoon
Three Days of the Condor
Taxi Driver

and TV shows...

All In The Family
M*A*S*H
Roots
The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Maude
Good Times
THE ORIGINAL Saturday Night Live from 1975

etc, etc

Written By: CarCar on 08/23/21 at 2:07 pm

-Dallas
-Dynasty
-Valley Girl
-Wall Street
-Pretty in Pink
-16 Candles
-Revenge of the Nerds

Cat

Pablo Escobar and Miami Vice lol

Sorry but the materialism of the 80s and all the luxury the drug king ping world brought is something I always associate with the 80s.

I get so many users lived and idolize the 80s here but are they just flat out in denial about how shallow those eras were. Madonna had a song called “Material Girl” for one

Written By: CarCar on 08/23/21 at 2:10 pm

I’m aware, I just don’t get why your making it seem like the 2000s were any better when they were just as shallow as the 2010s.

Body positivity wasn’t even really a thing in the 2000s. Many models and it girls were for the most part blonde and blued eyed. The 2000s lacked in diversity for what the 2010s later tried to make up for

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/23/21 at 2:36 pm

Pablo Escobar and Miami Vice lol

Sorry but the materialism of the 80s and all the luxury the drug king ping world brought is something I always associate with the 80s.

I get so many users lived and idolize the 80s here but are they just flat out in denial about how shallow those eras were. Madonna had a song called “Material Girl” for one

Correct. Check out my post above comparing and contrasting  George Harrison's "Living In the Material World" and Madonna's "Material Girl".

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/23/21 at 5:52 pm

I’m aware, I just don’t get why your making it seem like the 2000s were any better when they were just as shallow as the 2010s.

Body positivity wasn’t even really a thing in the 2000s. Many models and it girls were for the most part blonde and blued eyed. The 2000s lacked in diversity for what the 2010s later tried to make up for

You literally have social media worship culture in the 10s with sites like Instagram which permeates into real life social circles rather than just famous celebrities.

And people are still shallow as always in the 10s, body positivity movement doesn't change what people are attracted to.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/24/21 at 12:53 pm

Quite a difference in message between these two, wouldn't you say? Not to mention one has very organic production and is played by actual musicians playing musical instruments, and one is all electronic trickery with no real musical instruments.

George Harrison
"Living In the Material World"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-xsfEOnR1k&list=PL__hFoOM0DbWrmDSPZlr1r2NKq5g6XsmT&index=6

Madonna
"Material Girl"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO9h1fQU_-k

Ah I understand now. I hope I didn't seem rude when asking. I was just curious to read your reply.  :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/24/21 at 1:16 pm

Ah I understand now. I hope I didn't seem rude when asking. I was just curious to read your reply.  :)

Yes, did you notice the embrace of the spiritual and the rejection of the material in George's song and the exact opposite in Madonna's, which embraces all that is crass and material? Those two songs are such a perfect example of the difference between the 60s/70s and the 80s. I'm speaking broadly, of course, but it's generally true.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/26/21 at 11:34 pm

Everything.

Written By: JimiBoy04 on 08/30/21 at 8:22 pm

The politics and the rise of social media. Completely ruined whatever innocence society had left.

The early 2010s was still somewhat pure. I was a kid during those times, and life just seemed more simpler compared to the mid-late 2010s. There was a DRASTIC difference from the early part and the late part. In the later part, there were news of mass shootings every single time you turn around.

Check for new replies or respond here...