inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Everything before 2014 feels dated...

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/19 at 4:55 am

Anyone else agree that pre-2014 feels dated now? I mean there were many similarities to now of course, many common things such as everyone still had smartphones and stuff, but it just feels dated like a different time and era compared to today... Like things from around 2014 and before just felt quite different than today.

Subject: Re: Everything before 2015 feels dated...

Written By: shadowcookie on 12/16/19 at 9:20 am

Yeah I’d generally agree. First half of the 2010s is pretty dated now.

Written By: mc98 on 12/16/19 at 10:49 am

I would also say that 2015 feels very different now.

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/19 at 12:28 pm

RT

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/19 at 2:26 pm

2015 is too soon to be called dated I would say, too recent. Still feels fairly modern. Just my opinion, but I do get what you mean.

Written By: mc98 on 12/16/19 at 7:33 pm

2015 is too soon to be called dated I would say, too recent. Still feels fairly modern. Just my opinion, but I do get what you mean.

I didn't say dated, I said different. 2015 is when Obama was president, Vine was still alive, and Trap wasn't the dominant music genre.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/19 at 8:22 pm

I didn't say dated, I said different. 2015 is when Obama was president, Vine was still alive, and Trap wasn't the dominant music genre.

Ok I see. This isn't related to different/dated because I agree with most of what you said but trap was the dominant music genre in 2015. The song "Trap Queen" comes to mind whenever I think of 2015, was the number 2 song of the year. There were many other trap songs out. Trap really started to get mainstream in late 2014.

There was a video interview I posted a while back on here of rappers complaining about modern rap because it was only mumble/trap and that video was made in 2014, October of 2014 to be precise. I'm gonna try to find it now and edit my post and link it.

Here it is, I found it:

g0OdmRtuQew

And Hopsin made one making fun of trap/mumble rap in 2015:

IiNNBc557OQ

Perhaps I should correct my post and say everything pre-2014 feels dated actually.

Subject: Re: Everything before 2014 feels dated...

Written By: goodbants on 12/17/19 at 12:47 am

Anyone else agree that pre-2014 feels dated now? I mean there were many similarities to now of course, many common things such as everyone still had smartphones and stuff, but it just feels dated like a different time and era compared to today... Like things from around 2014 and before just felt quite different than today.

I would agree. The Trump hype starting around 2015 and that’s also when things started getting really divisive and when memes were becoming really mainstream. 2015-2017 were the height of the SJW vs anti-SJW bs that I’m glad has died down since then.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/17/19 at 2:35 am

I would agree. The Trump hype starting around 2015 and that’s also when things started getting really divisive and when memes were becoming really mainstream. 2015-2017 were the height of the SJW vs anti-SJW bs that I’m glad has died down since then.

That's true. I'm glad that has died down. People are still tense politically but at least it's less childish now and less name-calling. Remember when the word "cuck" was popular? So childish, glad people are acting a little more adult-like now at least even though political tension is still strong.

Written By: goodbants on 12/17/19 at 4:00 am

That's true. I'm glad that has died down. People are still tense politically but at least it's less childish now and less name-calling. Remember when the word "cuck" was popular? So childish, glad people are acting a little more adult-like now at least even though political tension is still strong.

I think it helped when people realized how stupid “snowflake” or “libtard” was and started making fun of people who use it. Now if anyone says it unironically they just look like an idiot.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/31/19 at 4:21 pm

I tried to find a topic called something like 'Songs from the early 2010s that sound nostalgic now', but I couldn't... So I'm posting here.

'Crazy' by Just Surrender sounds very different than anything coming out today. It sounds amazingly melancholic.

Written By: Sman12 on 12/31/19 at 4:39 pm

It's pretty much because smartphones weren't in most people's hands until around 2013-early 2014ish, and we weren't so dependent on them until then. Not only that, but American politics wasn't as divisive as today (You had the Tea Party vs. Centrist New Democrats, but even then there was civil discourse to be had).

And streaming services like Netflix weren't cultural juggernauts until today.

Written By: imrane on 01/12/20 at 2:26 pm

Even late 2014 and early 2015 feel dated before Windows 10 and before the current music movement truly began.
Also people here were not on the bandwagon of ugly haircuts. Seems like 2020 will be more of the same: https://www.menshairstylesnow.com/short-sides-long-top-haircuts/

2010-2014 feel like a different world really. Mid 2015-present is one era imo.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/12/20 at 2:35 pm

Mid 2015-present is one era imo.

This! Totally agree! So glad someone else agrees with my on this. Though I wouldn't mind extending it to maybe late 2015 / early 2016 where this era we are in now began. Though definitely when Trump came into the political picture in mid 2015 (and here in my province when NDP got elected and later the year when Trudeau got elected) that was stepping stone into the current era we are in now. And at the same time music started to change as  EDM came in and trap started dominating. And other things like you mentioned like Windows 10 came in and mobile live streaming started to get popular. 2015 and 2016 were both major transitional years. People on this site seem to ignore that and claim 2017 and 2018 were when they weren't at all, zero changes happened during those years. It's all the same era mainly with minimal changes. Just minimal things changed like less EDM and slightly less political division. On the whole, still the same era though.

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/20 at 3:33 pm

Even late 2014 and early 2015 feel dated before Windows 10 and before the current music movement truly began.
Also people here were not on the bandwagon of ugly haircuts. Seems like 2020 will be more of the same: https://www.menshairstylesnow.com/short-sides-long-top-haircuts/

2010-2014 feel like a different world really. Mid 2015-present is one era imo.

Ooo I got a lot of pushback for saying that on Popedia LOL. Over here in 2020 more people seem to have curtain hair and long hair than undercuts though. It might be because Canadian winter is too cold for undercuts.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/13/20 at 9:07 am

Ooo I got a lot of pushback for saying that on Popedia LOL. Over here in 2020 more people seem to have curtain hair and long hair than undercuts though. It might be because Canadian winter is too cold for undercuts.

Undercuts still seem the most popular in the UK. Our winters are pretty mild though - 13C is the forecast temperature tomorrow. I even see people wearing shorts occasionally here (albeit with hoodies and sweatshirts).

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 9:10 am

There are a lot of things that are dated before 2014, since the year dot!

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/13/20 at 9:54 am

That was one of the most exhausting time periods I've ever lived through, and the internet was barely useable then.

Written By: imrane on 01/13/20 at 2:08 pm

I used to visit AboveTopSecret very often back in 2010-2011 and back then it wasn't as filled with politics. There were some more moderate and even liberal people over there. I used to visit it for the discussions on paranormal and creepy stuff like UFOs but since about 2015 it has become too political and filled with crazy gun-loving right-wingers and the non-political sections rarely get new and interesting threads. I don't know why conspiracy forums attract so many right-wingers and racists. I've blocked most of them on my computer.

I've never liked Reddit for discussions as they often die fast. Fb groups are better for that, but again the people there act kinda more angrier than before. It used to be that having their name and photo out there made people more civil, but apparently as some trashy people have jumped on the bandwagon they call others names more now. It was not that toxic! I was instructed to "suck d--k" by someone and I didn't ask anything controversial. I'm on the brink of deleting my Fb but I need it for staying up to date with friends.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/13/20 at 2:11 pm

The way things are these days, 2019 feels dated.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/13/20 at 3:34 pm

Ehh for me most things 2009+ still seem fairly modern and not that old to me yet. I know it’s been a decade + but not much has changed in terms of technology.

Written By: suoerflykid2008 on 01/14/20 at 5:52 pm

To me everything changed in 2015 —from standard hip hop transitioning to mumble rap and trap from politics as usual changing to Donald Trump. 2015 was the start of a new era

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/20 at 6:28 pm

To me everything changed in 2015 —from standard hip hop transitioning to mumble rap and trap from politics as usual changing to Donald Trump. 2015 was the start of a new era

The first half of the decade was where it was at.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/15/20 at 12:33 am

In terms of internet culture, the change had already begun in 2014 with Gamergate, the beginning of "post ironic" memes (Filthy frank), and the popularization of the term "SJW". There was no turning back after that, lol.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/15/20 at 6:15 am

In terms of internet culture, the change had already begun in 2014 with Gamergate, the beginning of "post ironic" memes (Filthy frank), and the popularization of the term "SJW". There was no turning back after that, lol.

I miss the edgy side of YouTube. Too bad the company had to later kowtow to media corporations by advising every content creator to be "advertiser-friendly" before they get demonetized (by YouTube's broken AI).

Written By: 2001 on 01/15/20 at 6:24 am

I was away from the Internet late 2014/early 2015. It was weird how when I came back everyone was accusing each other of being a Gator. When I read up on the scandal it was such a nerd scandal, I could not take it seriously. Little did I know the world would change forever and fascism would come back because some lady didn't give a game a good review ;D

Written By: imrane on 01/15/20 at 8:05 am

I think being away from the Internet for a while is good.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/15/20 at 12:22 pm

I remember people started to use the word "cuck" in 2016. Now people don't say that anymore.

Check for new replies or respond here...