inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things that should be left behind in the 2010s

Written By: mc98 on 12/16/19 at 10:44 am

We are now approaching 2020. What are things that should only be kept in the 2010s. Here is my list:

The “eyebrows”.
The Snapchat/Instagram makeup.
Edgy dank meme culture
Mumble rap
SJW/Alt-Right
Buzzfeed

Subject: Re: Things that should be left behind in the 2010s

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/16/19 at 11:13 am

The Kardashians
Taylor Swift

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/16/19 at 12:01 pm

Trump's entire life

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/19 at 12:26 pm

The Kardashians
Taylor Swift

I was wondering why there hasn't been a Kim Kardashian replacement yet. By 2009 Kim had already dethroned Paris Hilton as queen of reality. You have to respect ha for still maintaining relevancy even after her pregnancy. Feminist icon.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/16/19 at 12:53 pm

You have to respect ha for still maintaining relevancy even after her pregnancy.

I don't see the correlation. A lot of women remain relevant and maintain vibrant careers after pregnancy. It's not unusual.

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/19 at 1:02 pm

I don't see the correlation. A lot of women remain relevant and maintain vibrant careers after pregnancy. It's not unusual.

Not in that industry.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/16/19 at 1:14 pm

Not in that industry.

That's a good point. Exactly WHAT industry is she in?

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/16/19 at 1:42 pm

Reality television.

Written By: Howard on 12/16/19 at 2:17 pm

The Kardashians
Taylor Swift

They should be left behind as far as possible, I don't think I wanna know what 2020 will bring for Kim or even Kayne for that matter.

Written By: Howard on 12/16/19 at 2:18 pm

Mass Shootings

Written By: wixness on 12/16/19 at 3:44 pm

Gender conformity.
Random sounding music like what most of the 2010s brought us.
DRM (which means that we can't keep the stuff we pay for, only temporarily store it until some company deems we can no longer store it).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/16/19 at 3:51 pm

Reality television.

Written By: man 2000 on 12/16/19 at 3:55 pm

The 2010s are nothing but awful terrible decade with LBGQ crap and Illegal immigration crap that has divided us thanks to stupid Obama and retard Trump.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/16/19 at 5:41 pm

The 2010s are nothing but awful terrible decade with LBGQ crap and Illegal immigration crap that has divided us thanks to stupid Obama and retard Trump.

I’ll “reach across the aisle” and agree with you in some of that.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/16/19 at 5:50 pm

Trap music
Facebook
SJW's and Alt-right, being easily offended and pushing each other's buttons
Mass shootings
Hatred
Negativity in general

Written By: wixness on 12/16/19 at 6:39 pm

I need to make this absolutely clear for the commenter who I'm not exactly going to refer to - the vast majority of LGBT+ individuals I have encountered DO NOT endorse any paraphilias. Those who do are more of the exception than the rule just like the rest of society. The LGBT community believes those who identify as "trans-age" are simply pedophile apologists that (un)intentionally mock transgender people.

Regarding immigration, I believe at least some has to happen, or people will be trapped with the very repressive and dangerous ideologies, violence and perversions of justice that they cannot reasonably and effectively manage. People also need exposure to new ideas or they will risk hurting each other with old ideas.

Written By: Sman12 on 12/16/19 at 7:40 pm

Trap music
Facebook
SJW's and Alt-right, being easily offended and pushing each other's buttons
Mass shootings
Hatred
Negativity in general

Hatred?

You can't be serious with that one, lol. Hatred's been here ever since humans existed. But if you mean the political polarization that we have now, it has sort of cooled off (in the States, at least) right up until the whole impeachment thing. 2017 was way worse with division in America (Women's March, UC Berkeley protests, Executive Order/Travel Ban, etc.)

Anyways, I wish cancel culture and entitled attitudes from millenials and Gen Z stay behind this decade.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/16/19 at 8:19 pm

I’ll “reach across the aisle” and agree with you in some of that.

Welp, I've seen enough to now be permanently terrified of this forum. Later y'all.

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/19 at 8:22 pm

Welp, I've seen enough to now be permanently terrified of this forum. Later y'all.

Well, we can hope those backwards attitudes stay behind ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/16/19 at 8:47 pm

TV talent shows like "The Voice", "America's Got Talent", "Dancing With The Stars", "The Masked Singer", "American Idol", etc, etc, etc.  So souless.  8-P

And all those ridiculous "Bachelor/Bachelorette" shows too.  ::)

And you wonder why network TV is rapidly becoming a relic of the past.

Written By: man 2000 on 12/17/19 at 3:11 am

You are entitle to your opinions.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/19 at 7:12 am

Reality television.

I think we all just had enough of reality television.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/19 at 7:14 am

TV talent shows like "The Voice", "America's Got Talent", "Dancing With The Stars", "The Masked Singer", "American Idol", etc, etc, etc.  So souless.  8-P

And all those ridiculous "Bachelor/Bachelorette" shows too.  ::)

And you wonder why network TV is rapidly becoming a relic of the past.

Network TV is not what it used to be many many years ago.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/17/19 at 7:31 am

Hatred?

You can't be serious with that one, lol. Hatred's been here ever since humans existed. But if you mean the political polarization that we have now, it has sort of cooled off (in the States, at least) right up until the whole impeachment thing. 2017 was way worse with division in America (Women's March, UC Berkeley protests, Executive Order/Travel Ban, etc.)

Anyways, I wish cancel culture and entitled attitudes from millenials and Gen Z stay behind this decade.

Of course I meant the extreme levels of hatred we've been having the last few years, not just basic human nature.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/17/19 at 2:07 pm

Well, we can hope those backwards attitudes stay behind ;D

I mean some people still think black people are genetically inferior so prejudice is never going away unfortunately ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ thankfully though those people are an extreme minority.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/18/19 at 5:48 am

People walking down the street with their pants on the ground and their underpants showing.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/19 at 6:48 am

People walking down the street with their pants on the ground and their underpants showing.

I agree, that style should be left behind.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/19 at 2:06 pm

Bill Cosby

Written By: Sman12 on 12/19/19 at 4:34 pm

I think we all just had enough of reality television.

Ditto.

Written By: piecesof93 on 12/20/19 at 10:49 am

I mean some people still think black people are genetically inferior so prejudice is never going away unfortunately ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ thankfully though those people are an extreme minority.

https://media.giphy.com/media/K64409MbT84rm/giphy.gif

Written By: Howard on 12/20/19 at 3:12 pm

Ditto.

The only ones I used to watch was Survivor and those singing shows.

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/22/19 at 10:00 am

Just keep fighting the good fight. There are better people here.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/22/19 at 1:07 pm

Just keep fighting the good fight. There are better people here.

There are other Decades forums out there if this one is not to one’s liking. Perhaps not as much action/volume as we see here, but InThe00s.com never held anybody hostage.  :P

Written By: violet_shy on 12/22/19 at 6:21 pm

Mmmm everything. And don't look back!

Written By: Howard on 12/24/19 at 2:18 pm

Guns!

Written By: Sman12 on 12/24/19 at 5:22 pm

Guns!

LOL

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/24/19 at 9:40 pm

I'm just going to say this, because I'm tired of not being tolerated for who I am.

Hatred towards Emos should be left behind. There is literally no reason whatsoever that people hate us so much other than the fact that they can.

Put yourself in my position, hang on, a situation belonging to a parallel universe... Everyone around you chuckles at you, they scorn you and ridicule you, because it simply annoys you to no end to force any hair grown on the front end of your scalp to stay on your forehead. And finding the time to style your hair is seen as a part of 'maturity'. If you shave all or most of your hair length off, good luck getting a job.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think just maybe you would be pissed off. Am I saying this is worse than racism or sexism or something similar? No, but that doesn't mean it isn't awful.

I would live as if it was 2008* instead of 2007, if it meant that I would be accepted, or merely employed**, by society.

* This isn't meant to insult anyone nostalgic for 2008, it's just that being stuck in 2007 personally makes me have an aversion regarding the next year.. Like how someone stuck in 2008 would most likely have an aversion regarding 2009.

** At a reasonable skill level without being pissed off for the rest of my life because I had to give up my identity, my visible support for the group I belong to, just to be a non-minimum wage worker.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/19 at 7:01 am

LOL

I know, I wish that could be left behind but this is the culture we live in so there's nothing much we can do about it, unfortunately.  :(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/25/19 at 8:13 am

I'm just going to say this, because I'm tired of not being tolerated for who I am.

Hatred towards Emos should be left behind. There is literally no reason whatsoever that people hate us so much other than the fact that they can.

Put yourself in my position, hang on, a situation belonging to a parallel universe... Everyone around you chuckles at you, they scorn you and ridicule you, because it simply annoys you to no end to force any hair grown on the front end of your scalp to stay on your forehead. And finding the time to style your hair is seen as a part of 'maturity'. If you shave all or most of your hair length off, good luck getting a job.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think just maybe you would be pissed off. Am I saying this is worse than racism or sexism or something similar? No, but that doesn't mean it isn't awful.

I would live as if it was 2008* instead of 2007, if it meant that I would be accepted, or merely employed**, by society.

* This isn't meant to insult anyone nostalgic for 2008, it's just that being stuck in 2007 personally makes me have an aversion regarding the next year.. Like how someone stuck in 2008 would most likely have an aversion regarding 2009.

** At a reasonable skill level without being pissed off for the rest of my life because I had to give up my identity, my visible support for the group I belong to, just to be a non-minimum wage worker.

Absolutely none of this is new.  We went through the same thing in the 60s and 70s for having long hair, among other things. People were actually REFUSED entrance to Disneyland for having long hair, it was their policy. Long hair was a political statement back then, and, yes, it caused me some trouble and I heard snickers, etc. Now I am of an age where it just doesn't matter to me anymore whether I do or do not look a certain way, or whether I identify with any particular group. I have moved beyond it. I have found peace. But I completely remember what it was like, and how seriously important it is to a younger age group to 'belong". I understand it well. Yet people say "OK Boomer" as if we can't empathize. So it goes on STILL, even there.

Written By: fusefan on 12/25/19 at 1:24 pm

My anxiety.  :P

Written By: wixness on 12/25/19 at 1:48 pm

Definitely. I liked the emo look because to me, it was one of the first and few gender non-conforming looks out there; I'm angry that it pretty much disappeared around 2013 and that it doesn't look as gender non-conforming as it once did in the past otherwise.

Also, I feel like hating emos is almost being on the same footing as fundamentalist Christians who deem rock music as a bad thing to listen to.

Written By: wixness on 12/25/19 at 1:49 pm

I know, I wish that could be left behind but this is the culture we live in so there's nothing much we can do about it, unfortunately.  :(

Come to the UK, it's very difficult to get a hold of a gun here, and many people here think that America's gun crimes and insistence on keeping easy access to guns are shocking. We do seem to have a problem with knife crime though.

I am angry that they deflect the blame on Call of Duty for gun crimes though - without such games, people won't have interesting stuff to do in their spare time.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/19 at 1:52 pm

Come to the UK, it's very difficult to get a hold of a gun here, and many people here think that America's gun crimes and insistence on keeping easy access to guns are shocking. We do seem to have a problem with knife crime though.

I am angry that they deflect the blame on Call of Duty for gun crimes though - without such games, people won't have interesting stuff to do in their spare time.

How is the traffic over there in The U.K.? ???

Written By: 2001 on 12/25/19 at 8:43 pm

Absolutely none of this is new.  We went through the same thing in the 60s and 70s for having long hair, among other things. People were actually REFUSED entrance to Disneyland for having long hair, it was their policy. Long hair was a political statement back then, and, yes, it caused me some trouble and I heard snickers, etc. Now I am of an age where it just doesn't matter to me anymore whether I do or do not look a certain way, or whether I identify with any particular group. I have moved beyond it. I have found peace. But I completely remember what it was like, and how seriously important it is to a younger age group to 'belong". I understand it well. Yet people say "OK Boomer" as if we can't empathize. So it goes on STILL, even there.

I agree. I wanted to say something similar but I was afraid it would sound mean,. Why are you trying to be emo, and wrapping your identity around someone else's style? Just be yourself.

Written By: wixness on 12/25/19 at 9:02 pm

How is the traffic over there in The U.K.? ???

If you're used to LA traffic, better.

Written By: 2001 on 12/25/19 at 9:06 pm

Not in London though. I remember it took me 2 hours to get to my hotel from the airport.

Written By: 2001 on 12/26/19 at 12:11 am

Phones without headphone jacks.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/19 at 4:36 am

I live in New York so I'm used to the New York traffic.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/26/19 at 3:46 pm

I think we can all agree the mass shootings should be left behind in the 2010s. No more terrorist attacks.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/19 at 7:05 am

I think we can all agree the mass shootings should be left behind in the 2010s. No more terrorist attacks.

We need peace, love and happiness.

Written By: Anwawesome on 12/27/19 at 7:52 am

-Mass shootings
-Hypersexualized culture
----Especially in relation to those that are teens, preteens, and younger. Good example of this are people like Malu Trevejo, Danielle Cohn etc. There's a reason they're popular and you know something's wrong when underage people get popular by posting very sexually suggestive pictures of themselves on social media.
-Social media addiction
-Trap music
-The Trump administration
-US Congress getting nothing done
-Far-right/alt-right nationalists AND SJWs
-Affordability crises in cities such as Seattle, San Francisco, New York City etc. and those cities' metropolitan areas/regions.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/27/19 at 8:01 am

Misguided, uninformed or generalized hatred of Boomers.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/19 at 2:19 pm

-Mass shootings
-Hypersexualized culture
----Especially in relation to those that are teens, preteens, and younger. Good example of this are people like Malu Trevejo, Danielle Cohn etc. There's a reason they're popular and you know something's wrong when underage people get popular by posting very sexually suggestive pictures of themselves on social media.
-Social media addiction
-Trap music
-The Trump administration
-US Congress getting nothing done
-Far-right/alt-right nationalists AND SJWs
-Affordability crises in cities such as Seattle, San Francisco, New York City etc. and those cities' metropolitan areas/regions.

I think there is way too much social media addiction.

Written By: Criz on 12/27/19 at 2:40 pm

Snapchat
Trump
The Kardashians
Trap, mumble rap, grime and songs that just repeat the same line OVER and OVER again (yes I mean you, Migos)
The early 00s fashion comeback - especially all this sportswear.
Boris Johnson
Brexit discussions

Written By: YZHybrid96 on 12/30/19 at 11:58 am

Snapchat
Trump
The Kardashians
Trap, mumble rap, grime and songs that just repeat the same line OVER and OVER again (yes I mean you, Migos)
The early 00s fashion comeback - especially all this sportswear.
Boris Johnson
Brexit discussions

Yes thankfully the Brexit discussions will end because we will have left and democracy will have prevailed :D

Written By: wixness on 12/30/19 at 12:40 pm

Yes thankfully the Brexit discussions will end because we will have left and democracy will have prevailed :D
I just hope they get rid of restrictive copyright law. As someone who doesn't care much about Brexit, I do dislike that the EU seems to love using culture for profit (after all, they are an economic as well as a political union).

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/30/19 at 12:58 pm

-Internet memes, in particular impact font
  ones

I just don't get the mass attraction with almost all of them I've seen. You don't have to be very creative to make one, and quite a few of them are poorly edited in terms of other Internet memes that happen to put text over already existing subtitles.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/30/19 at 1:11 pm

No more food wars, please. And do away with the coverage of the chicken sandwich conflict.

Written By: 2001 on 12/30/19 at 1:49 pm

No more food wars, please. And do away with the coverage of the chicken sandwich conflict.

That's low-key one of my favourite parts of the 2010s. I liked the hysterical reactions towards pineapple on pizza. ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/30/19 at 10:44 pm

-Mass shootings
-Political divisiveness
-Political correctness
-Oversharing on social media

Written By: Howard on 12/31/19 at 7:39 am

and no more challenges, you have nothing to prove.  ::)

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/31/19 at 10:24 am

I feel like we should stop the glorification of mental illness. It's not cool y'all. Get some help.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/31/19 at 11:55 am

I feel like we should stop the glorification of mental illness. It's not cool y'all. Get some help.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Written By: goodbants on 12/31/19 at 1:07 pm

I feel like some people glorify it but overall there's just been more awareness of it. I'm glad that it's not so stigmatized anymore.

Written By: Howard on 12/31/19 at 1:30 pm

Way too much talk about LGBTQ, not that I have a problem with it, way too much exposure.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/31/19 at 1:32 pm

Way too much talk about LGBTQ, not that I have a problem with it, way too much exposure.

It's the "T" that I have a problem with. People are supporting minors to medically transition and get them to permanently alter their bodies just because they happened to like toys for the opposite gender or something.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/31/19 at 2:29 pm

What do you mean by glorification? All I see is stigma.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/31/19 at 5:38 pm

What do you mean by glorification? All I see is stigma.

Like making jokes/memes about depression and anxiety.

Written By: wixness on 12/31/19 at 5:59 pm

It's the "T" that I have a problem with. People are supporting minors to medically transition and get them to permanently alter their bodies just because they happened to like toys for the opposite gender or something.

I am someone who could have benefitted from this, as someone who had issues with gender even in childhood. I once had homophobic views though and didn't understand the T part of the equation, but I didn't see what was so great about being a guy. I doubt people are generally made to transition I think.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/31/19 at 6:11 pm

Like making jokes/memes about depression and anxiety.

Right, that's stigma. I hate that too.

Written By: 2001 on 12/31/19 at 8:52 pm

I think they use puberty blockers (which are harmless) but I have never heard of any surgeries being performed on a child.

Right, that's stigma. I hate that too.

I think she means people joking about their own depression/anxiety. For the latter I think people need to be seeing a specialist instead of internalizing it as some personality trait. Anxiety is very much medically treatable (as is depression these days).

Written By: Slim95 on 12/31/19 at 9:33 pm

I think they use puberty blockers (which are harmless) but I have never heard of any surgeries being performed on a child.

I think she means people joking about their own depression/anxiety. For the latter I think people need to be seeing a specialist instead of internalizing it as some personality trait. Anxiety is very much medically treatable (as is depression these days).

Oh yeah I agree with that too. People need to seek help rather than just accept it or glorify it. Personally I haven't seen people do that oddly enough, which is why I got confused by what she meant. But if people do that then you're right it is wrong. I doubt someone with real severe depression would be able to do that though they would need to seek help especially if they have suicidal thoughts.

Written By: Criz on 01/01/20 at 3:57 pm

I don't really think anything that has happened with Brexit is truly democratic tbh - lies, misinformation and propaganda have ruined British politics. I can't deny it - I'm seriously worried about The UK...

Written By: wixness on 01/01/20 at 4:33 pm

I don't really think anything that has happened with Brexit is truly democratic tbh - lies, misinformation and propaganda have ruined British politics. I can't deny it - I'm seriously worried about The UK...
I just feel like the only people that really celebrate Brexit are (ultra-)nationalists.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/02/20 at 6:01 pm

1) Guys wearing shorts all year round (I'm talking locations where winter is cold, of course.)

2) Guys wearing wool caps (so-called "beanies") in the summertime.

3) "The schlub look": baseball cap, bulky t shirt, baggy shorts (specifically cargo shorts) and big sneakers. (And this one goes double for anyone over 25).

These things never should have made it out of the 90s, but somehow they linger on and on and on.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/02/20 at 8:01 pm

Totally agree. I really hate that that's a thing that parents do to children nowadays. Kids (ages 3 to 11) should not be talking about sexuality nor participate in any sexual action at such a young age. Supporting kids to arbitrarily change their gender should be considered child abuse. The parents should wait until they're teenagers, at least.

Written By: wixness on 01/02/20 at 9:30 pm

1) Guys wearing shorts all year round (I'm talking locations where winter is cold, of course.)

3) "The schlub look": baseball cap, bulky t shirt, baggy shorts (specifically cargo shorts) and big sneakers. (And this one goes double for anyone over 25).

These things never should have made it out of the 90s, but somehow they linger on and on and on.
To expand on this somewhat (complaining about this because they were a thing since the 2010s):
Snapback hats and bring back baseball caps that actually do a decent job of blocking out sunlight (those brims were not flat for a reason).
And I agree, I think wool caps should be saved only for cold weather although I guess it's because I think guys generally don't look good in it. I just wear one because my hair tends to be untidy, but usually in winter months.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/20 at 7:17 am

I agree Voice, whatever happened to wearing decent clothes in this day and age?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/03/20 at 5:37 pm

1) Flip flops worn for any and all occasions. Flip flops used to be for beach, gym, shower etc. Now people wear them constantly, anytime, anywhere. As everyday wear they are the most impractical footwear known to man.

2) The worship of sneakers as a holy, iconic, emblematic, talismanic, magic item. Up until, the 90s, sneakers were inexpensive and worn for casual occasions. Believe it or not, people gave them very little thought, paid very little for them, and treated them roughly. That's what they were for.  Somewhere along the line they started costing hundreds of dollars and started being worshiped. People even get robbed and killed for them. It isn't worth it.

3) The itsy bitsy teeny weeny little socks men have worn for the past 15 years or so. What's that all about? Wear socks that go over the calf please. Or, if you must, wear no socks at all. But those silly little things have got to go.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/04/20 at 7:10 am

1) The "vocal fry" affectation (a/k/a "creaky voice"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMtbWt0wRyM

2) The "uptalk" affectation (a/k/a the "everything is a question" affectation):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDZYCagHeqQ

Written By: imrane on 01/04/20 at 10:10 am

Trap/mumble rap

terms like "mansplaining"

hipsters/beards/manbuns

man purses

girls wearing fake glasses

big corporation jobs/call centers - we're not corporate slaves, I hate working for big corporations for peanuts doing a job that sucks. gimme home office!

big open layout offices - what works for 1-20 ppl doesn't work for 20+

terrorism - I miss pre-2014 before terrorism was a thing here

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/04/20 at 12:16 pm

Baseball caps as a thing.

This is something that started in the 90s and never went away. For example, take a look at a photo of the audience at Woodstock in 1969. You don't see one single baseball cap in that sea of humanity of literally a half million people in the middle of August. Then take a look at a big outdoor concert today. Baseball caps everywhere. They are even sold at these events  for high prices. Now in the 1950s for example, baseball caps were for little boys. As one approached adolescence they were left behind. Unless one was, well, a baseball player. Boys wore "caps", men wore "hats". I have a theory that this wholesale wearing of baseball caps all the time by pretty much all ages is symptomatic of the "infintilazation" of people in their teens and 20s that seems to be going on. Adulthood being pushed off until 30s and beyond. This phenomenon is often especially noticeable on college campuses.

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/20 at 12:18 pm

This is something that started in the 90s and never went away. For example, take a lot at a photo of the audience at Woodstock in 1969. You don't see one single baseball cap in that sea of humanity of literally a half million people in the middle of August. Then take a look at a big outdoor concert today. Baseball caps everywhere. They are even sold at these events  for high prices. Now in the 1950s for example, baseball caps were for little boys. As one approached adolescence they were left behind. Unless one was, well, a baseball player. Boys wore "caps", men wore "hats". I have a theory that this wholesale wearing of baseball caps all the time by pretty much all ages is symptomatic of the "infintilazation" of people in their teens and 20s that seems to be going on. Adulthood being pushed off until 30s and beyond. This phenomenon is often especially noticeable on college campuses.

LOL I was thinking about that just a couple of weeks ago. At the gym, all these dudes are wearing baseball hats, running on the treadmill and lifting weights. Doesn't their head get hot? :o Anything for fashion I guess.

People here wear baseball hats and sunglasses even indoors.

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/20 at 12:26 pm

Thankfully the first hasn't caught on in Canada yet. But I do notice people wearing ripped jeans even in winter, which isn't much better. It was -25°C (-13°F) once and I saw a kid wearing a leather jacket (useless in that weather) and ripped jeans. I could hear him shivering while walking 20 steps behind :o

Written By: Howard on 01/04/20 at 3:59 pm

1) Flip flops worn for any and all occasions. Flip flops used to be for beach, gym, shower etc. Now people wear them constantly, anytime, anywhere. As everyday wear they are the most impractical footwear known to man.

2) The worship of sneakers as a holy, iconic, emblematic, talismanic, magic item. Up until, the 90s, sneakers were inexpensive and worn for casual occasions. Believe it or not, people gave them very little thought, paid very little for them, and treated them roughly. That's what they were for.  Somewhere along the line they started costing hundreds of dollars and started being worshiped. People even get robbed and killed for them. It isn't worth it.

3) The itsy bitsy teeny weeny little socks men have worn for the past 15 years or so. What's that all about? Wear socks that go over the calf please. Or, if you must, wear no socks at all. But those silly little things have got to go.

Whatever happened to wearing a nice decent pair of shoes or sneakers?  ::)

Written By: wixness on 01/04/20 at 6:58 pm

This is something that started in the 90s and never went away. For example, take a lot at a photo of the audience at Woodstock in 1969. You don't see one single baseball cap in that sea of humanity of literally a half million people in the middle of August. Then take a look at a big outdoor concert today. Baseball caps everywhere. They are even sold at these events  for high prices. Now in the 1950s for example, baseball caps were for little boys. As one approached adolescence they were left behind. Unless one was, well, a baseball player. Boys wore "caps", men wore "hats". I have a theory that this wholesale wearing of baseball caps all the time by pretty much all ages is symptomatic of the "infintilazation" of people in their teens and 20s that seems to be going on. Adulthood being pushed off until 30s and beyond. This phenomenon is often especially noticeable on college campuses.
I can see where you're coming from but I kind of prefer baseball caps, because they look less gendered - also, certain types of hats have somewhat gained an informal association with creeps from online.
Then again, I feel like that baseball caps and beanies look better on women and I'd prefer to see men wearing hats only for necessary practical purposes. But as someone who grew up seeing their dad wearing baseball caps frequently, I don't easily associate baseball caps as being childish, likely because of the approximately 30 year age gap between my parents and myself. My parents have even tried to discourage each other and me from wearing hats as much in the past because they thought it would make someone bald.
As for adulthood being pushed at later ages, well, I guess I am resentful of how my parents made my first couple of decades highly focused on studies and for me to try and grow up as quickly as possible, so I somewhat welcome this trend. I guess I want to use my twenties to have as much fun as possible that I wouldn't have been able to do as a child under the guardianship of my parents.

Whatever happened to wearing a nice decent pair of shoes or sneakers?  ::)
I also prefer sneakers because they look less gendered. I do say I prefer canvas shoes but they're not as comfortable and/or durable sometimes (broke a pair of Chucks :(, but a pair I own is serving as an exception), and they can look more strongly gendered I feel sometimes too. I believe sneakers grew in popularity with hip hop culture, something that isn't my taste generally. I also felt like very juvenile when I wore them frequently in the past, often by my parents' insistence.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/05/20 at 2:43 pm

Angry Jeeps.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/207e23213cf636ccdef205098cf3c8a3/r/c/rc10524_2.4734.jpg

::) ;D

Written By: wixness on 01/05/20 at 2:55 pm

Fascism or social conservatism. Particularly, the ideals that individuals such as Trump, Erdogan, Putin and Bolsonaro hold regarding what they want of their nations' people.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/05/20 at 4:26 pm

You know I've always wondered if being "gender-neutral" is just a new 2010's trend or if it's actually going to stick for a long time, because for some reason I have a hard time believing that this non-binary thing will still be around ten years from now, at least at the popularity it was in the mid-late 2010's.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/05/20 at 10:21 pm

Not just large cities.  It's just as bad in places like mine, lightly populated areas that happen to be tourist destinations.  Prices are inflated with intent to rape the tourists, but in the process they are killing the locals and driving them out.  People want to work but can't afford housing.  I'm seeing it more and more, businesses of all types having to close early or close down due to lack of workers.  Even a Dennys which is known for 24 hours, tried to get dinner twice last summer to find it only open in the mornings and signs posting why.  Same with a Big Boy last summer.  I read recently about places in Europe taking a stand against cities being overrun by tourists.  I hope the US will follow suit.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/20 at 10:47 pm

Not just large cities.  It's just as bad in places like mine, lightly populated areas that happen to be tourist destinations.  Prices are inflated with intent to rape the tourists, but in the process they are killing the locals and driving them out.  People want to work but can't afford housing.  I'm seeing it more and more, businesses of all types having to close early or close down due to lack of workers.  Even a Dennys which is known for 24 hours, tried to get dinner twice last summer to find it only open in the mornings and signs posting why.  Same with a Big Boy last summer.  I read recently about places in Europe taking a stand against cities being overrun by tourists.  I hope the US will follow suit.

A lot of chain stores here are closing down too because they can't find minimum wage workers.

I think people in big cities have to accept that once the city gets big enough, things like "heritage neighbourhoods" and single family detatched homes have to go. It's mostly because of NIMBYs that housing prices have gone out of control.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/20 at 10:50 pm

Misguided, uninformed or generalized hatred of Boomers.

I feel like most of that started only in 2019, it might just end up being a 2020s thing. :o

Written By: imrane on 01/08/20 at 10:32 am

Instagram influencers. They're totally groomed by corporate interests and completely fake and inauthentic.

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/20 at 10:39 am

We need peace, love and happiness.

Might have to wait until the 2030s ;D

Written By: wixness on 01/08/20 at 11:40 am

Instagram influencers. They're totally groomed by corporate interests and completely fake and inauthentic.
Most influencers, period. The wonders of capitalism.

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/20 at 1:34 pm

Most influencers, period. The wonders of capitalism.

Stop dragging my fave economic system. If people want to follow hot daddies on Instagram then that's their choice!

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/08/20 at 1:37 pm

Let’s bring back Imstagram daddies!!

Written By: Sman12 on 01/08/20 at 1:44 pm

Let’s bring back Imstagram daddies!!

LOL, what?  ;D

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/08/20 at 1:51 pm

Daddies on insta!!  :-*

Written By: wixness on 01/08/20 at 2:01 pm

Stop dragging my fave economic system. If people want to follow hot daddies on Instagram then that's their choice!
Those hot daddies shouldn't try to use things for profit though I guess and stay away from sponsorships too. It's possible, he the case of at least one YouTuber/Twitch streamer.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/08/20 at 2:04 pm

Those hot daddies shouldn't try to use things for profit though I guess and stay away from sponsorships too. It's possible, he the case of at least one YouTuber/Twitch streamer.

Why though? They aren’t hurting anyone.  And if their good looks can make them money, how’s that any different from the supermodels of the 80’s and 90’s?

Written By: wixness on 01/08/20 at 2:11 pm

Why though? They aren’t hurting anyone.  And if their good looks can make them money, how’s that any different from the supermodels of the 80’s and 90’s?
If something doesn't make money it ceases to be legally or even practically accessible. Technology should help preserve culture, not help impose an artificial expiration date on them compared to older mediums (i.e. DRM and aspects of IP law). Culture is just being used to make money. It's sad there's no such thing as art or culture that's not for profit these days.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/08/20 at 2:24 pm

I done shat myself reading that.

Written By: imrane on 01/08/20 at 3:16 pm

Kinda true but it's sad most followers/fans will never feel as popular or important as those they follow. I personally think being obsessed with influencers and celebrities without getting any follows/fame or success in return is a waste of time but to each their own I guess.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/20 at 3:36 pm

Might have to wait until the 2030s ;D

So I have to wait another 10 more years?  :o

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/20 at 3:54 pm

If something doesn't make money it ceases to be legally or even practically accessible. Technology should help preserve culture, not help impose an artificial expiration date on them compared to older mediums (i.e. DRM and aspects of IP law). Culture is just being used to make money. It's sad there's no such thing as art or culture that's not for profit these days.

I don't get why it's bad just because it's for money. Does communism have daddies? ???

Kinda true but it's sad most followers/fans will never feel as popular or important as those they follow. I personally think being obsessed with influencers and celebrities without getting any follows/fame or success in return is a waste of time but to each their own I guess.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to be an #influencer, or at least not have my life revolve around it. Those people sound miserable, obsessing over likes and follows. I'm not very Gen Z about it though, I could see why this might be a problem for people who were like 16 when Instagram got popular, they're easily impressionable. Stay in school, kids!

Written By: wixness on 01/08/20 at 4:53 pm

I don't get why it's bad just because it's for money. Does communism have daddies? ???
It means that we have to put up with stuff we don't like and we have to keep putting up with it because it's all we can pay for, even if we had $1 million each.

People constantly complain about their favourite TV show or whatever taking an awful creative direction all the time, but they shouldn't be dismissed.

Stay in school, kids!
What if school stinks for them?

Written By: annimal on 01/08/20 at 5:11 pm

I couldn't stay in school

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/20 at 5:39 pm

It means that we have to put up with stuff we don't like and we have to keep putting up with it because it's all we can pay for, even if we had $1 million each.

People constantly complain about their favourite TV show or whatever taking an awful creative direction all the time, but they shouldn't be dismissed.

If it goes bad you can just stop watching it? I don't know what utopian system makes bad decisions in TV shows not happen (unless its 1984-style rewriting history so we all collectively pretend it didn't happen... Well, then, I'd be okay with that for Dexter)

What if school stinks for them?

Pick a topic/skill you like.

Written By: imrane on 01/08/20 at 11:23 pm

Before social media and when dial-up was so slow I would draw all day in Illustrator and Photoshop to entertain myself. Not anymore, now I'm addicted to social media and YouTube. I wonder if less and less people get creative with tech due to social media addiction? ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 01/09/20 at 12:09 am

Before social media and when dial-up was so slow I would draw all day in Illustrator and Photoshop to entertain myself. Not anymore, now I'm addicted to social media and YouTube. I wonder if less and less people get creative with tech due to social media addiction? ::)

Good point. Creativity in general is declining it seems.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/20 at 6:56 am

I'm pretty sure just about everyone is addicted to social media.

Written By: Dundee on 01/12/20 at 4:25 am

"Fake and gay"
Although it's very early 2010s and it does sound really cringy to use nowadays, rightfully ;p

Written By: Howard on 01/12/20 at 7:02 am

People being way too PC.

Written By: wixness on 01/12/20 at 9:24 am

If it goes bad you can just stop watching it? I don't know what utopian system makes bad decisions in TV shows not happen (unless its 1984-style rewriting history so we all collectively pretend it didn't happen... Well, then, I'd be okay with that for Dexter)

What if the stuff one likes ceases to be practically accessible even if money was thrown into it? I feel like technology is trying to speed this process up artificially. The way our world is going makes it seem like that 1984 is coming true.

Pick a topic/skill you like.

Some things you can't choose to not study at school. Sometimes school is hell for children because of the bullying by other students and/or teachers.

Written By: imrane on 01/12/20 at 9:48 am

I hope these are left in the 2010's:
Girls with shaven sides that look like bald patches.
Guys with man buns, almost everyone sporting beards, undercuts.
The problem is those trends have exploded after 2015-16 here, so they've just peaking.  8-P
Say whatever, but imo fashion in 2006-2013 was more relaxed.

Written By: wixness on 01/12/20 at 10:10 am

I hope these are left in the 2010's:
Girls with shaven sides that look like bald patches.
Guys with man buns, almost everyone sporting beards, undercuts.
The problem is those trends have exploded after 2015-16 here, so they've just peaking.  8-P
Say whatever, but imo fashion in 2006-2013 was more relaxed.
The stuff I've highlighted in bold I agree with. It's an eyesore for me, personally.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/12/20 at 10:14 am

An eyesore for me, as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/20 at 10:15 am

An eyesore for me, as well.
The above appearances are not just right?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/12/20 at 10:24 am

The above appearances are not just right?

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. So many people I encounter are people I consider ugly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/20 at 10:29 am

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. So many people I encounter are people I consider ugly.
...a picture paints a thousand words, and none of them I can use here.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/20 at 2:03 pm

The stuff I've highlighted in bold I agree with. It's an eyesore for me, personally.

I can't stand that either.

Written By: imrane on 01/12/20 at 2:19 pm

I don't know why but some styles just make people look smug for lack of a better word. Those I mentioned make me perceive them as smug. Heck, I miss the times when people were copying Bieber hair circa 2008-2011.

https://www.racked.com/2017/7/28/16028378/hitler-haircut-alternatives

Written By: wixness on 01/12/20 at 4:06 pm

I don't know why but some styles just make people look smug for lack of a better word. Those I mentioned make me perceive them as smug. Heck, I miss the times when people were copying Bieber hair circa 2008-2011.

https://www.racked.com/2017/7/28/16028378/hitler-haircut-alternatives
Yes, and I love how the article title and URL is roasting the guys wearing the short back and sides!  ;D

Written By: imrane on 01/13/20 at 11:24 am

Reddit has turned toxic and on Fb groups people are ruder than before 2014. I think it would be good for a new social media to take over.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/13/20 at 11:39 am

Reddit has turned toxic and on Fb groups people are ruder than before 2014. I think it would be good for a new social media to take over.

It’s the politics that makes it toxic IMO.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/13/20 at 1:59 pm

This forum!

Written By: imrane on 01/13/20 at 2:23 pm

I think it's more than that as here we're not affected by US politics that much. I don't remember people mocking others, calling them all kinds of slurs back in the early 2010's. I quit Fb in 2013, relaunched it in 2014-2015 and was still kinda OK back then. I have a new one since 2017 and I can't stand any of the groups - wether the expat, local city, remote workers ones, etc. So much negativity and ranting. People didn't use to rant so much over there. Now they often call each other "you're illiterate, can't you read?!", "suck my..." etc.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/13/20 at 10:20 pm

^

Written By: Slim95 on 01/13/20 at 10:24 pm

Mainstream obsession with politics should definitely be left behind in the 2010s.

Check for new replies or respond here...