inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best thing about the 2010’s

Written By: duenas8 on 12/19/19 at 7:20 pm

:D

Subject: Re: Best thing about the 2010’s

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/19/19 at 10:40 pm

"Other" - I like the economy - we (my hubby & me) have personally benefited

Written By: Sman12 on 12/19/19 at 10:41 pm

Personally, it's a tie between streaming services and streaming TV.

Being able to watch/listen to what you want and wherever you want is such a relieving and convenient experience. And usually, services cost WAY less than cable (bills usually go up to $100).

Cable TV's dying a slow death, and as streaming services become more popular in households around the world, cable will just be a memory. That'd be something to look back on in the upcoming decade.

Written By: Howard on 12/20/19 at 7:10 am

I would definitely say streaming TV and music, nothing has been so damn simple to use these past 10 years with listening to music from the computer and going to various sites such as Spotify or Pandora and just enjoying your favorite genres.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/20/19 at 8:08 am

I voted for streaming music services (particularly Spotify). The decade started with paying for each song or album from iTunes. Now I just pay a monthly subscription. However I'm still putting less music on my phone because especially in 2019, there's hardly any good music.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/21/19 at 11:21 am

That's a tough one. I suppose the best part is the technology in general. It is both a blessing and a curse.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/21/19 at 12:23 pm

wF84YSQrsjM

Written By: Howard on 12/21/19 at 3:56 pm

I voted for streaming music services (particularly Spotify). The decade started with paying for each song or album from iTunes. Now I just pay a monthly subscription. However I'm still putting less music on my phone because especially in 2019, there's hardly any good music.

Do you like the free ones or the ones where you have to purchase them?

Written By: Emman on 12/22/19 at 1:51 am

I know I've been tough on the 2010s but one of the music trends I do like is the increase in the blurry, gauzy, ambient aesthetic across multiple genres since around 2009.

I noticed this since the whole chillwave scene of '09 but then it spread into hip hop with cloud rap, reverby synths and vocals, like a modern ized shoegaze. Even mainstream R&B has become more ambient with the Weekend, Frank Ocean, ect.

I Feel it Coming is like if My Bloody Valentine teamed up with Washed Out and Quincy Jones producing it circa 1979 Off the Wall.

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/19 at 9:20 pm

The dance trends were a lot of fun, especially in the early 2010s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 12/23/19 at 8:52 am

The best thing about the 2010s is the convience of everything. Ridesharing apps, Food delivering apps, smartphones, internet, streaming, etc

Written By: wixness on 12/23/19 at 12:16 pm

Streaming can go to hell. It's only better than rentals but I think far inferior to actually owning copies of content - companies can decide what gets to exist on streaming services; once you buy copies of content, it's all on you to ensure it exists even if companies can't or won't continue to offer it any more.

I'd add more inclusive attitudes to my response (voted environmental consciousness - I feel like I should take better care of the environment by consuming less stuff and eating less meat, since I generally regard climate crisis deniers to be part of a religious fundamentalist movement) otherwise as the best thing about the 2010s. I hate that fashion looked more gender conforming IMO than in the late 2000s and early 2010s, but I like that people this decade are more actively trying to challenge those norms. I didn't like the 2000s when I was younger because of the gender conformity. I just hope it goes even further by the 2020s.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/23/19 at 2:14 pm

The best thing about the 2010s is the convience of everything. Ridesharing apps, Food delivering apps, smartphones, internet, streaming, etc

I agree with that (except for streaming). I forgot to mention, social media is helpful in promoting your business or selling things and stuff like that. Or the convenience of talking to family members overseas.

I hate streaming and don't use it. I use MP3 files for music and I just rent movies when I want to.

Written By: wixness on 12/23/19 at 3:34 pm

I hate streaming and don't use it. I use MP3 files for music and I just rent movies when I want to.

I feel like these days streaming is worryingly starting to replace ownership. At least renting was inconvenient enough to not replace ownership.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/19 at 3:55 pm

I love the convenience but do you think it's too much convenience?  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 12/23/19 at 4:16 pm

I feel like these days streaming is worryingly starting to replace ownership. At least renting was inconvenient enough to not replace ownership.

They will never replace it for good. The option is still available to us who want it. I don't know why people want to use up their data plans for streaming. Streaming doesn't work on airplanes or places without internet as well. But to each their own.

Written By: wixness on 12/23/19 at 7:48 pm

They will never replace it for good. The option is still available to us who want it. I don't know why people want to use up their data plans for streaming. Streaming doesn't work on airplanes or places without internet as well. But to each their own.

Some people have generous data plans, like here in the UK. For instance, O2, a mobile carrier here, has fairly recently revived their unlimited data plans after having killed it off with the introduction of Android/iOS smartphones and/or 4G (which I think then they were incapable of dealing with).

Written By: Slim95 on 12/23/19 at 9:53 pm

Some people have generous data plans, like here in the UK. For instance, O2, a mobile carrier here, has fairly recently revived their unlimited data plans after having killed it off with the introduction of Android/iOS smartphones and/or 4G (which I think then they were incapable of dealing with).

Yeah but there is also something special about song ownership. Just knowing you own it and you don't need an internet connection to play it is very helpful.

Written By: Howard on 12/24/19 at 7:01 am

But streaming does work in coffee houses.

Written By: 2001 on 12/24/19 at 8:31 am

The democratization of knowledge. Before you would have to get a university degree or go to a library to get niche knowledge, but nowadays knowledge is a lot more accessible. I'm talking about stuff like Udemy, Khan Academy, Lynda, Safari Books, MIT OpenCourseware, YouTube, Wikipedia, Stanford's philosophy encyclopedia etc. It's never been a greater time to be a lifelong learner.

I wake up, I read a French ebook where I highlight words I don't understand and generate flashcards for it (I automated that bit), I head to work by putting my headphones on listening to an audiobook with Audible, I enjoy watching programming/tech videos on my break and learning more, coming home I pick a book to read on my eReader (my library rents out eBooks for free, no late fees and no trips to the library hnghhh), and an hour or two before I go to bed I save a bunch of Internet articles to Pocket which I read before bed on my eInk eReader (so no screen glare before bed and no distracting phone notifications). I feel like I learn a lot everyday. Feels great to be alive, mang.

I think about upcoming technologies and fields like machine learning, and how 5 years ago people would say you need a Master's degree to pursue that kind of knowledge. But now all of it is open-source, freely available, and a lot of websites/videos have popped teaching people how to use it and the algorithms and math behind it. Someone even made a homebrew self-driving car! It's amazing what humans can do when we come together. I look forward to what we can do in the 2020s.  8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/24/19 at 8:49 am

Gotta be careful about Wikipedia.

I know of some blatantly false info posted to Wiki pages that later was “cited” by mainstream news outlets as if it were fact.  :o

Written By: wixness on 12/24/19 at 2:49 pm

Yeah but there is also something special about song ownership. Just knowing you own it and you don't need an internet connection to play it is very helpful.
People who don't have very good internet will take streaming for granted or even think it's a bad thing because of piracy.

Written By: fusefan on 12/25/19 at 1:33 pm

Streaming Tv. I remember times during the early/mid 2000s especially during the weekends when I didn’t have cable and my only choices were 6 channels playing golf, infomercials, or some movie from 1992 I have no interest in. Or the same VHS tapes and  DVDs over and over again.  :P I would have killed to have something like Pluto Tv, Disney+, Prime, Hulu, or Netflix back then.

Streaming music is a second. Helps me discover new and old songs I’ve would have never heard on the radio with ease.

Written By: wixness on 12/25/19 at 1:46 pm

Streaming Tv. I remember times during the early/mid 2000s especially during the weekends when I didn’t have cable and my only choices were 6 channels playing golf, infomercials, or some movie from 1992 I have no interest in. Or the same VHS tapes and  DVDs over and over again.  :P I would have killed to have something like Pluto Tv, Disney+, Prime, Hulu, or Netflix back then.

Streaming music is a second. Helps me discover new and old songs I’ve would have never heard on the radio with ease.

Fortunately my parents had cable so I could enjoy this (they still have cable though); I wonder what mader it rather difficult for your parents to get them - were they simply just unable to afford it? To be fair, I enjoyed TV in the 2000s, when cable would have been more commonplace and/or cheaper I think. I also enjoyed DVDs too, which I think were generally more commonplace or cheaper.

I can see the appeal of streaming, and I used to be more on board with it, but it irks me, because you're paying for something you can't necessarily keep; in the past, you paid for things you could keep (renting was a thing, but it didn't look like it could easily replace ownership since it seemed incredibly inconvenient - streaming's convenience means it can replace ownership for anyone with good internet speeds). If I stream, it's pretty much always on YouTube, although I tend to avoid the site for unrelated reasons.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/19 at 1:49 pm

I like streaming music now cause back then I never knew about certain music artists or groups that I didn't know existed.

Written By: fusefan on 12/25/19 at 5:29 pm

Fortunately my parents had cable so I could enjoy this (they still have cable though); I wonder what mader it rather difficult for your parents to get them - were they simply just unable to afford it? To be fair, I enjoyed TV in the 2000s, when cable would have been more commonplace and/or cheaper I think. I also enjoyed DVDs too, which I think were generally more commonplace or cheaper.

I can see the appeal of streaming, and I used to be more on board with it, but it irks me, because you're paying for something you can't necessarily keep; in the past, you paid for things you could keep (renting was a thing, but it didn't look like it could easily replace ownership since it seemed incredibly inconvenient - streaming's convenience means it can replace ownership for anyone with good internet speeds). If I stream, it's pretty much always on YouTube, although I tend to avoid the site for unrelated reasons.

In my family during the 2000s, cable was a thing we’d have every other year depending how we were doing financially. My parents were divorced so one house might had cable and the other would not. And sometimes BOTH houses wouldn’t have cable and that really sucked. Cable was everything back then.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/25/19 at 6:53 pm

I wouldn't mind streaming as much if I had unlimited data. But that's impossible in Canada unless you pay over $100 a month. But even then, nothing beats owning the song and being able to listen to music anywhere without an internet connection such as on the road, the plane, etc.

Written By: 2001 on 12/25/19 at 8:39 pm

I wouldn't mind streaming as much if I had unlimited data. But that's impossible in Canada unless you pay over $100 a month. But even then, nothing beats owning the song and being able to listen to music anywhere without an internet connection such as on the road, the plane, etc.

I have unlimited data for $29/mo :P It is on Wind, or Freedom Mobile as it's called now.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/25/19 at 9:48 pm

I have unlimited data for $29/mo :P It is on Wind, or Freedom Mobile as it's called now.

That doesn't count. Freedom's coverage and speeds are awful. They are not competitive with the big players like Telus and Rogers. If you want good service and speeds you go to the Big 3 as well as their subsidiaries like Koodo and Fido. Their plans do not have unlimited data unless you wanna pay over $100 a month. We are very unlucky in Canada when it comes to cellphone data plans, very expensive. Unless you choose a discount provider like Freedom but then prepare to have horrible reception and service. When it comes to basic plans with LTE and good coverage it is not affordable in Canada. I got lucky as I was able to snatch the deal during a time plans went on sale and pay $53 a month for 5GB of data with Koodo generally speaking you can't find a plan like that for that low cost of money right now they start at around $65 a month. It's better than it was in the past but it's still not there yet.

By the way I used to have Wind Mobile many years ago and so I know first hand the problems I had with them but they may have improved their speeds and service a bit now and may not be horrible if you stay inside the city but they are still not competitive yet and I doubt they ever will be given how long they were in the market. Even Shaw bought them but they still haven't improved.

Written By: 2001 on 12/25/19 at 10:48 pm

That doesn't count. Freedom's coverage and speeds are awful. They are not competitive with the big players like Telus and Rogers. If you want good service and speeds you go to the Big 3 as well as their subsidiaries like Koodo and Fido. Their plans do not have unlimited data unless you wanna pay over $100 a month. We are very unlucky in Canada when it comes to cellphone data plans, very expensive. Unless you choose a discount provider like Freedom but then prepare to have horrible reception and service. When it comes to basic plans with LTE and good coverage it is not affordable in Canada. I got lucky as I was able to snatch the deal during a time plans went on sale and pay $53 a month for 5GB of data with Koodo generally speaking you can't find a plan like that for that low cost of money right now they start at around $65 a month. It's better than it was in the past but it's still not there yet.

By the way I used to have Wind Mobile many years ago and so I know first hand the problems I had with them but they may have improved their speeds and service a bit now and may not be horrible if you stay inside the city but they are still not competitive yet and I doubt they ever will be given how long they were in the market. Even Shaw bought them but they still haven't improved.

I was just bragging. But if you have a 5GB plan that's basically unlimited isn't it?

Wind used to be a pain in the early days but I don't think I've ever lost service for a while now. Interestingly enough, Wind had service in the underground portions of the Toronto subway before the Big 3 did ;D (Although I think they all have service now)

Written By: Slim95 on 12/25/19 at 11:26 pm

I was just bragging. But if you have a 5GB plan that's basically unlimited isn't it?

Wind used to be a pain in the early days but I don't think I've ever lost service for a while now. Interestingly enough, Wind had service in the underground portions of the Toronto subway before the Big 3 did ;D (Although I think they all have service now)

5 gigs isn't unlimited though. Unlimited is unlimited. You can theoretically do 1000 gigs if it were possible on an unlimited plan.

Written By: 2001 on 12/25/19 at 11:49 pm

5 gigs isn't unlimited though. Unlimited is unlimited. You can theoretically do 1000 gigs if it were possible on an unlimited plan.

I guess, technically. I don't think I've ever used more than 3GB though, and I don't go out of my way to reduce usage either (have all my podcasts on autodownload, stream on Spotify on highest quality etc.)

Written By: Slim95 on 12/25/19 at 11:50 pm

I guess, technically. I don't think I've ever used more than 3GB though, and I don't go out of my way to reduce usage either (have all my podcasts on autodownload, stream on Spotify on highest quality etc.)

Hm interesting. That could be related to the lower speeds on Freedom and therefore lower usage. I make an effort to turn on WiFi to reduce usage and I still get near 5GB of data every month.

Written By: 2001 on 12/25/19 at 11:59 pm

Hm interesting. That could be related to the lower speeds on Freedom and therefore lower usage. I make an effort to turn on WiFi to reduce usage and I still get near 5GB of data every month.

What kind of videos do you watch in public? 🤔

Written By: Slim95 on 12/26/19 at 12:01 am

What kind of videos do you watch in public? 🤔

Lol honestly I try not to watch video when I'm out and about because I know how much it consumes my data but I am always checking emails and browsing the web.

Written By: Criz on 12/27/19 at 2:44 pm

I am with you - really do not get the obsession with streaming music apps. I like to own my music and I download everything new I like and put it on my iphone. It's one major reason why I got the 256Gb one when ipod got full! Still buy CDs and will never dispose of my old cassette tapes.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/19 at 3:49 pm

I am with you - really do not get the obsession with streaming music apps. I like to own my music and I download everything new I like and put it on my iphone. It's one major reason why I got the 256Gb one when ipod got full! Still buy CDs and will never dispose of my old cassette tapes.

Have you tried free radio stations on the internet?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/30/19 at 12:17 am

Megamind, the movie and it's short film sequel. I'd put in the Megamind video game as a good thing from this decade, too, except I haven't played it, so I really can't judge this.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/30/19 at 11:34 pm

Movies, technology, and hip-hop were pretty good this decade IMO.

Check for new replies or respond here...