inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So How Was 2019 For You Guys?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/20/19 at 9:04 pm

In my opinion, both culturally, and personally, trash. But what about you guys? Feel free to explain the things you loved and hated about this year.

My ratings for each year of the 2010s:
2010: 8/10
2011: 9/10
2012: 10/10
2013: 7/10
2014: 8/10
2015: 6.5/10
2016: 7.5/10
2017: 8/10
2018: 6/10
2019: 3.5/10

Subject: Re: So How Was 2019 For You Guys?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/20/19 at 9:24 pm

My perspective:

Culturally:
Music- Horrible. Billie Eilish is ok, but her songs aren't very good in my opinion as it sounds too depressing. I get that it helps her feel happy, but it's not my taste. You guys may disagree but it's just me. The thing I hated about music this year is the decline of EDM. EDM was one of my favourite genres because of the dancy beats, and it makes me feel happier. However, it's all replaced by Alt/Indie Pop and Dumb Trap music. DaBaby is good, I'll give that, but the rest is trash. Music is a significant let down, and it's a shame considering how great 2017 was in music. 1.5/10.

TV: Decent. Stranger Things Season 3, and Mandalorian is what I enjoyed, aside from a few boring episodes. 7/10

Movies: Not good. Movies this year were not very hype. Aside from Infinity War, John Wick 3, and Spiderman Far From Home, movies this year were very boring and disappointing. The stories can be rushed or inconsistent, and is a huge let down from 2018. 4/10.

Pop culture overall: 42/100.

Personally
I'll summarize this. When I went into 9th Grade 2nd Semester, I went from a happy, optimistic, talented, and popular dude who inspired/was nice to everyone, to a depressed, anxious fat-@##. The work got so much harder, and I felt lonely because my best friends left, a group of fake friends didn't invite me to hangouts or parties, and jocks overtook my popularity and made fun of me. I gained weight because of this, and only now Im trying to recover and work out.
Summer was trash as well. I had so much Hopes to hangout with friends, but the group of fake friends who I used to talk to didnt invite me to hangouts or parties, so I barely hung out with anybody this summer, unlike 2018 where I hung out with my best friends every week. Because of pop culture trends going for the worse, I was soo bored, doing nothing.

Overall personal score: 25/100.

Total Score for 2019: 34/100, or 3.5/10

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 12/21/19 at 5:54 am

Politically:
Horrible, but at least Trump got impeached.

Culturally:
Music- Awesome. Billie Eilish is incredible, as are Halsey, Lewis Capaldi, Lizzo, BTS, Lauv, Eden XO, Bahari, Daya. Eden XO finally released that long-awaited EP she would have released in 2015. John Carpenter released an expanded soundtrack to 2018's Halloween. Another banner year for music.

TV:
Awesome. The Walking Dead, Manifest, The Conners, Fresh Off the Boat, Black-ish, Speechless, A Million Little Things, The Purge, the new revival of All That, the final season of the revived Double Dare, Cousins for Life, the Are You Afraid of the Dark? miniseries, this year's Treehouse of Horror, Thanksgiving of Horror, Emergence, The Masked Singer, SpongeBob, and good old fashioned game shows.

Movies:
I only got to see so many movies this year: The Lion King, Joker, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Pet Sematary, Rambo: Last Blood, a horror film I'd never heard of called Countdown (which was surprisingly good). There's still a bunch I want to see: Once Upon a Time, Midsommar, Yesterday, IT 2, Ad Astra, The Irishman, Terminator: Dark Fate, The Addams Family, Gemini Man, The Lighthouse, Dr. Sleep, Endgame, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, 1917, Star Wars (I still haven't gotten to see The Last Jedi yet, or anything since The Force Awakens), and Black Christmas. There's probably a bunch more.

Pop culture overall: Great. I think k-pop fandom drama on Twitter is ridiculous. #(Celebrity)IsOver/Cancelled or #Something Nobody's Ever Heard Of)IsOver/Cancelled trending for some random reason, you click on it, and it's k-pop fans starting trouble.

Personally
Pretty good. My mom moved in with us. I finally got a new Blu-ray player to replace my aging LG I was having problems with. I'm in the market for some kind of sound system, but everything is just too expensive. I'm considering Edifier powered speakers and an HDMI audio extractor since my new Blu-ray player only has HDMI out and I don't have a receiver. My dream speakers are Klipsch towers. One of these days.

I have now seen all but the last six Marvel MCU movies.

Pretty good year overall, if you discount politics.

Written By: Howard on 12/21/19 at 7:00 am

Personally

I would say it was OK for me but towards the end of the year My Father suffered a mild heart attack and now we are trying to eat and or drink healthy, he goes to his exercise physical therapy and he lost a lot of weight, My Mother also had problems with her legs and varicose veins and was also admitted to the hospital for a brief time period, they both take medications.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/21/19 at 7:01 am

Politically:
Horrible, but at least Trump got impeached.

Culturally:
Music- Awesome. Billie Eilish is incredible, as are Halsey, Lewis Capaldi, Lizzo, BTS, Lauv, Eden XO, Bahari, Daya. Eden XO finally released that long-awaited EP she would have released in 2015. John Carpenter released an expanded soundtrack to 2018's Halloween. Another banner year for music.

TV:
Awesome. The Walking Dead, Manifest, The Conners, Fresh Off the Boat, Black-ish, Speechless, A Million Little Things, The Purge, the new revival of All That, the final season of the revived Double Dare, Cousins for Life, the Are You Afraid of the Dark? miniseries, this year's Treehouse of Horror, Thanksgiving of Horror, Emergence, The Masked Singer, SpongeBob, and good old fashioned game shows.

Movies:
I only got to see so many movies this year: The Lion King, Joker, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Pet Sematary, Rambo: Last Blood, a horror film I'd never heard of called Countdown (which was surprisingly good). There's still a bunch I want to see: Once Upon a Time, Midsommar, Yesterday, IT 2, Ad Astra, The Irishman, Terminator: Dark Fate, The Addams Family, Gemini Man, The Lighthouse, Dr. Sleep, Endgame, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, 1917, Star Wars (I still haven't gotten to see The Last Jedi yet, or anything since The Force Awakens), and Black Christmas. There's probably a bunch more.

Pop culture overall: Great. I think k-pop fandom drama on Twitter is ridiculous. #(Celebrity)IsOver/Cancelled or #Something Nobody's Ever Heard Of)IsOver/Cancelled trending for some random reason, you click on it, and it's k-pop fans starting trouble.

Personally
Pretty good. My mom moved in with us. I finally got a new Blu-ray player to replace my aging LG I was having problems with. I'm in the market for some kind of sound system, but everything is just too expensive. I'm considering Edifier powered speakers and an HDMI audio extractor since my new Blu-ray player only has HDMI out and I don't have a receiver. My dream speakers are Klipsch towers. One of these days.

I have now seen all but the last six Marvel MCU movies.

Pretty good year overall, if you discount politics.
Nice to hear how you had a good 2019

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/21/19 at 7:02 am

Personally

I would say it was OK for me but towards the end of the year My Father suffered a mild heart attack and now we are trying to eat and or drink healthy, he goes to his exercise physical therapy and he lost a lot of weight, My Mother also had problems with her legs and varicose veins and was also admitted to the hospital for a brief time period, they both take medications.
Aww, I hope things get better for you and your family  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 12/21/19 at 7:21 am

Aww, I hope things get better for you and your family  :\'(

Thanks, we are all trying to eat and drink healthy now.

Written By: shadowcookie on 12/21/19 at 10:18 am

Can’t really speak on the cultural aspect because I don’t keep up with music or TV as a rule.

Personally it’s been pretty good though. Making progress in my career, moved out earlier this year, feel a bit more financially secure. For the first time in my life I feel settled.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/21/19 at 10:33 am

Can’t really speak on the cultural aspect because I don’t keep up with music or TV as a rule.

Personally it’s been pretty good though. Making progress in my career, moved out earlier this year, feel a bit more financially secure. For the first time in my life I feel settled.
Ahh nice! I wish I had a good 2019 like yours

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/19 at 11:45 am

It was decent for me. Sorry you had to go through that bullying.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/21/19 at 2:24 pm

It was decent for me. Sorry you had to go through that bullying.
Yeah. Things are better now though

Written By: Sman12 on 12/21/19 at 3:55 pm

Personally, I liked 2019. I passed my driver's test, I graduated high school, and my stepmom arrived here from Liberia (before she became an asshole to me in the later part of this year). Oh, and I got my first-ever part-time job (which paid very well).

Culturally, it was lackluster to me. I enjoyed movies like Endgame and Joker, but I didn't care for any other movie as they were either remakes, reboots, or sequels (i.e., The Lion King, Cats, etc). Music-wise, it's the same old Trap/EDM music that I keep hearing in the last three years.  Although, I did like songs such as Old Town Road and bad guy.

There weren't a lot of video games I really played which came out this year, but I'm glad Minecraft came back strong this year (didn't really play it as much as I used to, though). Memes weren't good as 2018's, but I loved the "nobody: no one: not even a soul:"-esque ones.

Overall, it was an okay year for me. 6.1/10.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/26/19 at 3:00 pm

Personally, I liked 2019. I passed my driver's test, I graduated high school, and my stepmom arrived here from Liberia (before she became an asshole to me in the later part of this year). Oh, and I got my first-ever part-time job (which paid very well).

Culturally, it was lackluster to me. I enjoyed movies like Endgame and Joker, but I didn't care for any other movie as they were either remakes, reboots, or sequels (i.e., The Lion King, Cats, etc). Music-wise, it's the same old Trap/EDM music that I keep hearing in the last three years.  Although, I did like songs such as Old Town Road and bad guy.

There weren't a lot of video games I really played which came out this year, but I'm glad Minecraft came back strong this year (didn't really play it as much as I used to, though). Memes weren't good as 2018's, but I loved the "nobody: no one: not even a soul:"-esque ones.

Overall, it was an okay year for me. 6.1/10.
I'm glad you enjoyed 2019!

Written By: Slim95 on 12/26/19 at 3:38 pm

BORING

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/26/19 at 8:47 pm

BORING
SAME!!!  >:( >:( >:( Lack of diversity and creativity this year. Summer 2019 is the worst!

Written By: Howard on 12/27/19 at 7:02 am

BORING

Why was it boring for you Slim?  ???

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/27/19 at 8:59 pm

Overall: 2/10

More detail: I became increasingly hateful and suspicious towards people in general due to the same intolerance, different year kind of crap I encountered that got heaped towards my counterculture. The only thing that makes me rank this year a 2 instead of a 1 or 0 is that Cyntonia Brown was freed. I heard the same terrible music on the radio, and encountered the same kind of idiots on the Internet I usually do.
    I'll give an example. I was wondering, typed out, in one of my online groups if I should get myself chemically castrated when some stupid idiot told me I wouldn't ever find someone to be with if I didn't cut my hair shorter. Let me explain something. My problem is I'm not finding other people I like, at all, full stop. Also, one time I did try a dating app, the people on there were all ugly. They still expected me to give them a try after talking S#!T to me for having a fetish. Keep in mind, this in particular happened in 2018, but based on stuff I saw on Reddit, I doubt it changed. The app? Grindr. And I happened to think we gay people were usually more accepting.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/27/19 at 9:12 pm

Oh yeah: another reason it isn't a 1 or 0 to me is that it's the LAST year of this decade.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/27/19 at 10:29 pm

Overall: 2/10

More detail: I became increasingly hateful and suspicious towards people in general due to the same intolerance, different year kind of crap I encountered that got heaped towards my counterculture. The only thing that makes me rank this year a 2 instead of a 1 or 0 is that Cyntonia Brown was freed. I heard the same terrible music on the radio, and encountered the same kind of idiots on the Internet I usually do.
    I'll give an example. I was wondering, typed out, in one of my online groups if I should get myself chemically castrated when some stupid idiot told me I wouldn't ever find someone to be with if I didn't cut my hair shorter. Let me explain something. My problem is I'm not finding other people I like, at all, full stop. Also, one time I did try a dating app, the people on there were all ugly. They still expected me to give them a try after talking S#!T to me for having a fetish. Keep in mind, this in particular happened in 2018, but based on stuff I saw on Reddit, I doubt it changed. The app? Grindr. And I happened to think we gay people were usually more accepting.
Damn. I hate it when people can be mean towards transgenders, just because they are that, they're still a person, come on society! Let people be themselves.  >:( :\'( :(

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/27/19 at 10:49 pm

Damn. I hate it when people can be mean towards transgenders, just because they are that, they're still a person, come on society! Let people be themselves.  >:( :\'( :(

Well I'm not transgender, and I say that because I definitely identify with my birth-assigned gender (male). It is just that my gender, being what I identify it as, is not one you are tolerated within for looking different than the norm, at least where I live.

Genderqueer? Maybe I am that, as in being ostracized and continually pissed off for being different than a lot of people of my same gender. However, my gender is identical to my sex, so I'm not transgender.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/27/19 at 11:43 pm

Well I'm not transgender, and I say that because I definitely identify with my birth-assigned gender (male). It is just that my gender, being what I identify it as, is not one you are tolerated within for looking different than the norm, at least where I live.

Genderqueer? Maybe I am that, as in being ostracized and continually pissed off for being different than a lot of people of my same gender. However, my gender is identical to my sex, so I'm not transgender.
ohh sorry. People in society can be evil.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/27/19 at 11:52 pm

ohh sorry. People in society can be evil.

Yep.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 12/30/19 at 5:09 am

You sound a lot like me except a little less gender fluid than I am. I’m gay and very fem (not flamboyant). Although I identify as my bio sex I am definitely gender queer or fluid I just say “lady heart with boy parts” haha. I want a hetero dynamic in a relationship where I am more of the fem partner and the other is more masc if that makes sense ? In the gay community we are very superficial and not very “tolerate-able” if that makes sense. Grindr is toxic as hell and super dehumanizing. https://imgur.com/a/1zJp0wy this is me btw. I’m just me. I hate labels. But  on the inside I feel feminine and receptive not masculine and dominant.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/30/19 at 10:43 am

You sound a lot like me except a little less gender fluid than I am. I’m gay and very fem (not flamboyant). Although I identify as my bio sex I am definitely gender queer or fluid I just say “lady heart with boy parts” haha. I want a hetero dynamic in a relationship where I am more of the fem partner and the other is more masc if that makes sense ? In the gay community we are very superficial and not very “tolerate-able” if that makes sense. Grindr is toxic as hell and super dehumanizing. https://imgur.com/a/1zJp0wy this is me btw. I’m just me. I hate labels. But  on the inside I feel feminine and receptive not masculine and dominant.

Makes sense.
Edit: I'm not superficial, i. e. judgmental, based on appearances, but I only am attracted to other long-haired Emos.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/19 at 12:26 pm

Personally it was ok-not great but not terrible either. I did a lot of reading and reflecting. We also sold two houses (had the closing of the first one Friday & the closing of the second the following Friday). So now we only own ONE house (what a concept). Sold the Big Dog which had been on the market for about FIVE YEARS!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49300232506_58fc97f8eb.jpg

We also sold my big console t.v. that I bought back in the dark ages (1988) and sold a whole bunch more crap stuff. Oh, and we had the driveway paved now that there isn't a 25 ft sailboat parked on it. It is pitiful when you have to mow your driveway.  :-\\  We are hoping that next year we can have the garage painted now that there isn't a 25 ft sailboat parked in front of it.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 12/30/19 at 1:38 pm

Grindr is a cesspool, but also I ghost 99% of the people that message me so I'm not one the talk. But I've never said anything mean... I take "if you got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" very literally. ;D

I strongly disagree with fem/masc distinctions. I grew up in a heavy Greek/Italian
/East European neighbourhood in Toronto and machismo was a big thing here in the 2000s; I hate it with every fibre of my being. I guess that makes me feminine by default, although I don't identify with that label. I'm very bookish and into science and math, not at all violent or into watching sports. But I have to admit, to get any attention in the gay world I've had to hit the gym, grow a beard, get an undercut, and I dress very masculine too with leather boots, jean jacket, gym bag and all. And not to sound gross, but I've also had to fake being dominant, when I'm more of a tender (not submissive) kind of guy. I feel very fake sometimes, I'm just waiting for a guy who likes me for who I am (a nerd) so I can finally shave this beard off ;D

Written By: 2001 on 12/30/19 at 1:55 pm

Personally it was ok-not great but not terrible either. I did a lot of reading and reflecting. We also sold two houses (had the closing of the first one Friday & the closing of the second the following Friday). So now we only own ONE house (what a concept). Sold the Big Dog which had been on the market for about FIVE YEARS!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49300232506_58fc97f8eb.jpg

We also sold my big console t.v. that I bought back in the dark ages (1988) and sold a whole bunch more crap stuff. Oh, and we had the driveway paved now that there isn't a 25 ft sailboat parked on it. It is pitiful when you have to mow your driveway.  :-\\  We are hoping that next year we can have the garage painted now that there isn't a 25 ft sailboat parked in front of it.

Cat

How come you sold the boat? It looks like a really relaxing hobby.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/19 at 2:54 pm

How come you sold the boat? It looks like a really relaxing hobby.

For some strange reason, I developed an irrational fear. It is really strange because we would sail her in Lake Champlain-usually the southern end which is fairly narrow. Land is ALWAYS in sight. So, if something were to happen, it wasn't too far from the shore. And I am a good swimmer. So, I don't know where this fear came from but I would get panic attacks on the boat. Also, there is a lot of work to it and Carlos isn't exactly a spring chicken, either.

When we had it moored, we had to put the dinghy in the water, & row out to the mooring. Getting out of the dinghy onto the boat & visa versa wasn't always easy. The last time, Carlos' pant leg got caught on oar doohicky and flipped the dinghy. Luckily, it didn't land on top of him but he did end up in the lake. He was soaked and the dinghy was full of water and we couldn't flip it to empty it. Luckily, a boat came by and we asked for a ride (and a tow for the dinghy) to the dock. When we got to the dock, we went to the office and requested dock space. We were done with the mooring.

Whenever we were coming into the dock, I was the one who had to jump off the boat to stop it. With my "wonderful" vision, I was always afraid that I was going to miss the dock. I was also on anchor duty. Throwing it in wasn't too bad but pulling it up sometimes was quite hard. Depending on where we anchored, it was covered in weeds and crap which can get VERY heavy.

These are a few other reasons. Saying good-bye to her was bittersweet. I am just afraid that Carlos will resent me because it is mainly because of my irrational fear. He LOVED the boat. But I do have to say that I am so glad that it is out of the driveway.

Cat

Written By: DisneysRetro on 12/30/19 at 4:30 pm

Grindr is a cesspool, but also I ghost 99% of the people that message me so I'm not one the talk. But I've never said anything mean... I take "if you got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" very literally. ;D

I strongly disagree with fem/masc distinctions. I grew up in a heavy Greek/Italian
/East European neighbourhood in Toronto and machismo was a big thing here in the 2000s; I hate it with every fibre of my being. I guess that makes me feminine by default, although I don't identify with that label. I'm very bookish and into science and math, not at all violent or into watching sports. But I have to admit, to get any attention in the gay world I've had to hit the gym, grow a beard, get an undercut, and I dress very masculine too with leather boots, jean jacket, gym bag and all. And not to sound gross, but I've also had to fake being dominant, when I'm more of a tender (not submissive) kind of guy. I feel very fake sometimes, I'm just waiting for a guy who likes me for who I am (a nerd) so I can finally shave this beard off ;D

Well if it helps you to know I am super attracted to nerds lmao. I think nerdy guys who like to play video games and who are great with computers are so cute and I’m really attracted to how sweet they are. Also nerdy guys who are emotionally available and more gentle to their partners warms my heart. It seems most gay men want this perfect guy to fit their fantasies because growing up gay many of us lack the affection we require (going to prom, going on dates, hiding our sexuality, etc) and so dating becomes this giant fantasy of superficialities to compensate for what we have lacked. A lot of us have dad issues (not me fortunately) and many of us try to compensate for the lack of affection through hook ups. I also grew up during a time of machismo culture. I’m half creole and half salvadorian/italian so as a kid it was expected of me to act more masculine and it made me so so uncomfortable. After high school I started experimenting more with online chat and fashion. I still struggle for affection in the gay community unfortunately. I have never been kissed before and as you know im well into my 20’s. So it’s embarrassing... I’m not in to the whole hook up culture either.

Also I never really grew facial hair which i take pride in because it makes me look more androgynous and fem. I had light peach fuzz on my chin and when I got my first job I paid for laser hair removal with my first pay check to have it removed 😂

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/30/19 at 5:52 pm

It was ok I guess. I grew up a lot this year and ended up losing some friends. The summer was extremely boring except for June which was when I went to Wildwood and finally got my room redone. Other than that though, this year was pretty boring. I prefer 2017 and 2018.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/30/19 at 9:19 pm

It was ok I guess. I grew up a lot this year and ended up losing some friends. The summer was extremely boring except for June which was when I went to Wildwood and finally got my room redone. Other than that though, this year was pretty boring. I prefer 2017 and 2018.
Same. Pop culturally, I didnt like 2019 much. Remember when people say 2001 had the most boring summer? 2019 takes the lead.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/30/19 at 9:23 pm

Well if it helps you to know I am super attracted to nerds lmao. I think nerdy guys who like to play video games and who are great with computers are so cute and I’m really attracted to how sweet they are. Also nerdy guys who are emotionally available and more gentle to their partners warms my heart. It seems most gay men want this perfect guy to fit their fantasies because growing up gay many of us lack the affection we require (going to prom, going on dates, hiding our sexuality, etc) and so dating becomes this giant fantasy of superficialities to compensate for what we have lacked. A lot of us have dad issues (not me fortunately) and many of us try to compensate for the lack of affection through hook ups. I also grew up during a time of machismo culture. I’m half creole and half salvadorian/italian so as a kid it was expected of me to act more masculine and it made me so so uncomfortable. After high school I started experimenting more with online chat and fashion. I still struggle for affection in the gay community unfortunately. I have never been kissed before and as you know im well into my 20’s. So it’s embarrassing... I’m not in to the whole hook up culture either.

Also I never really grew facial hair which i take pride in because it makes me look more androgynous and fem. I had light peach fuzz on my chin and when I got my first job I paid for laser hair removal with my first pay check to have it removed 😂
Aww, I'm straight but you think I'm cute? I love PC Gaming, but let's not get into full detail about it

Written By: DisneysRetro on 12/30/19 at 11:16 pm

Aww, I'm straight but you think I'm cute? I love PC Gaming, but let's not get into full detail about it

Awww of course ! I love guys who are just really diligent and I find it cute when they take gaming seriously. Mostly guys who are super sweet and treat everyone equally are the best and deserve a lot of love.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/30/19 at 11:29 pm

Same. Pop culturally, I didnt like 2019 much. Remember when people say 2001 had the most boring summer? 2019 takes the lead.

2019 pop culture was ok. It wasn't the best but it wasn't bad either. It's the same with my personal life, which is probably why I found 2019 to be quite boring honestly.

Written By: Dundee on 12/31/19 at 3:39 am

Rough to say the least, and especially tumultuous.

I hope for 2020 to be nicer

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/31/19 at 9:53 am

Politically and pop culturally terrible, but personally pretty good for the most part except financially.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/31/19 at 11:51 am

Rough to say the least, and especially tumultuous.

I hope for 2020 to be nicer

Same. But I can tell 2020 might be better already, Disney+, Mandalorian ft. BABY YODA, The Witcher, and next Generation consoles. TV Wise, I think 2020 will be great, but I'm still not sure about music...

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/31/19 at 11:52 am

Politically and pop culturally terrible, but personally pretty good for the most part except financially.

What did you do this year?  :)

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/31/19 at 11:54 am

Awww of course ! I love guys who are just really diligent and I find it cute when they take gaming seriously. Mostly guys who are super sweet and treat everyone equally are the best and deserve a lot of love.

Yeah, in school, I try to be nice towards everyone I meet, and I can be over apologetic when I make a mistake haha. I also try helping people with anxiety/depression, and I try to motivate people by giving advice and motivation quotes. I always wanted to be a good person, but sometimes, there are people who treat me poorly, like the fake friends I mentioned... Say, what's the graphics card in your PC, and how much ram do you have? Jk jk.  ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 12/31/19 at 10:55 pm

On the downside, my health keeps getting worse but I'm trying to find doctors who can fix me.  No telling how much longer I have left but keeping it going as long as I can.

On the upside, my daughter turned 18 so I'm out from under that boulder.  And I finally got my first smartphone, so I can pay over $120 a month for a usable connection speed and a good data allowance.  Also got a mint condition car that is very similar to my first car, it's stashed away so it doesn't see snow.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/20 at 10:43 am

What did you do this year?  :)

Traveled to Mexico City in April, and to Japan and Hawaii in November-December. Bought 2 houses and sold one. Struggled to sell the other house but we're under contract to close next week (what a way to start 2020!). Also my step-daughter graduated high school and started college.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/01/20 at 10:48 am

It was an up and down year for me, personally and pop culture wise.

Politically, it was terrible. Donald Trump and Jair Bolsonaro being world leaders is 8-P.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/01/20 at 2:13 pm

2019 kicked major butt.

The economy is rocking and rolling due to DT, and InThe00s is bigger and better than ever.

On the downside, Pitbull seemed to keep a low profile.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/01/20 at 3:29 pm

On the downside, my health keeps getting worse but I'm trying to find doctors who can fix me.  No telling how much longer I have left but keeping it going as long as I can.

On the upside, my daughter turned 18 so I'm out from under that boulder.  And I finally got my first smartphone, so I can pay over $120 a month for a usable connection speed and a good data allowance.  Also got a mint condition car that is very similar to my first car, it's stashed away so it doesn't see snow.

What's wrong with you?  :(

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/01/20 at 3:42 pm

I had several fun outings, but also job loss and false starts and a short lived relationship that was a total sh*tshow. So not a great year, the overall mood was sour with too many upsetting events.  8-P I do not want a repeat of all that.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/01/20 at 9:07 pm

What's wrong with you?  :(

Esophagus and part of stomach destroyed by acid, acid backs up, food won't go down, and is borderline cancer.  They say when it hits it will be too aggressive to treat.  Got the best doctors in the state trying to fix it but there are more things wrong at once than they have seen before so hopefully they can figure something out.  Then bowel damage since birth and keeps recurring, requiring multiple surgeries.  Then keep getting DVT blood clots every winter but blood thinners make gastric bleeding worse so they try and avoid that.  Any one of the clots could break off and become a widowmaker.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/01/20 at 9:17 pm

How did you redo your room?

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/20 at 12:52 am

2019 kicked major butt.

The economy is rocking and rolling due to DT, and InThe00s is bigger and better than ever.

On the downside, Pitbull seemed to keep a low profile.  :-\\

2019 was good for my wallet too, and even though there is no Pitbull there was Carly Rae Jepsen.

Overall I think I will remember 2019 fondly! It was a good year.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/20 at 7:41 am

Esophagus and part of stomach destroyed by acid, acid backs up, food won't go down, and is borderline cancer.  They say when it hits it will be too aggressive to treat.  Got the best doctors in the state trying to fix it but there are more things wrong at once than they have seen before so hopefully they can figure something out.  Then bowel damage since birth and keeps recurring, requiring multiple surgeries.  Then keep getting DVT blood clots every winter but blood thinners make gastric bleeding worse so they try and avoid that.  Any one of the clots could break off and become a widowmaker.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/02/20 at 1:14 pm

Damn. Get well soon!

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/02/20 at 1:34 pm

2019? Eh, not great. Thankfully not as bad as 2015 was for me personally, that was undoubtedly my worst year.

Summer was horifically boring. I don't get paid over the summer, so my income is limited to a pittance which all goes to food and bills, so I did literally nothing all summer. I already hate summer to begin with, and I'm seriously dreading it again this year.

Highlight of the year was getting married in November to the love of my life, but I had to go back to University a couple of days later so I didn't really get a moment to breathe and enjoy it. Plus what with all the anxiety over brexit and the subsequent devestating December election result, I feel like I've been drowning in stress in the later part of the year. I don't really feel as though I've had a Christmas break either, as I have exams as early as the 7th of January that I had to start studying for on the 28th.

Yeah, pretty piss poor year honestly. Movies continue to suck, I haven't been to the cinema in years - superhero movies should be banned. Pop music has remained unlistenable, and I know I've always complained about popular music, but it hasn't been this awful since the mid 00s, and given the nature of the modern charts, streaming services, and our obsession with nostalgia, I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

Overall the year was very boring, and not in a good 90s boring-because-it's-so-peaceful-and-prosperous kind of way, but more like a boring dystopia kind of way.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/02/20 at 11:26 pm

2019? Eh, not great. Thankfully not as bad as 2015 was for me personally, that was undoubtedly my worst year.

Summer was horifically boring. I don't get paid over the summer, so my income is limited to a pittance which all goes to food and bills, so I did literally nothing all summer. I already hate summer to begin with, and I'm seriously dreading it again this year.

Highlight of the year was getting married in November to the love of my life, but I had to go back to University a couple of days later so I didn't really get a moment to breathe and enjoy it. Plus what with all the anxiety over brexit and the subsequent devestating December election result, I feel like I've been drowning in stress in the later part of the year. I don't really feel as though I've had a Christmas break either, as I have exams as early as the 7th of January that I had to start studying for on the 28th.

Yeah, pretty piss poor year honestly. Movies continue to suck, I haven't been to the cinema in years - superhero movies should be banned. Pop music has remained unlistenable, and I know I've always complained about popular music, but it hasn't been this awful since the mid 00s, and given the nature of the modern charts, streaming services, and our obsession with nostalgia, I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

Overall the year was very boring, and not in a good 90s boring-because-it's-so-peaceful-and-prosperous kind of way, but more like a boring dystopia kind of way.

Agreed. Although I like the superhero movies, yes they're over repetitive to others but for me, it's fun to watch, especially Marvel movies because they're funny and exciting for me. But yeah. Other than that, horrible year.

Written By: man 2000 on 01/03/20 at 4:12 am

2019 is a very horrible year entirely.

I had to pay a lot of high price bills and rent.

There weren't that many good movies either.

Tv shows are nothing but garbage.

Music isn't anybetter.

The way of life is very horrible now.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/03/20 at 7:01 am

How did you redo your room?

My dad did it while I was on vacation with my mom, sister and cousin.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/03/20 at 1:36 pm

Tv shows are nothing but garbage.

Why do you think this? I've been seeing a lot of people share this sentiment and I don't know why.

Not saying I disagree with you completely, but as a general societal consensus, TV has undergone a rebirth, and is the best it's been in years.

I personally am not a fan of modern TV, but probably for different reasons than you - as someone with bad anxiety, current TV is too intense, gritty, and serious, and it just makes me uncomfortably on edge

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/03/20 at 3:04 pm

It sucked and I'm glad it's finally over.

My dad passed away in July. My brother's 19 year old dog (who was a big part of my life for a while) died in March.  I ended a 2 year relationship (amicably) in November. My job has been depressing as hell, I went through 5 shift changes in the last 6 months. The last shift I had (for about a month) was a 3 AM shift which was grueling and really hindered my social life.

Already this year is better. We just rebid our jobs yesterday and I went back to the 3:30-midnight shift, which I was hoping for and am confident I can hang on to for the next 6 months.  It's like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.

Potentially this could be a great year for me personally, I just hope world events don't screw it all up.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/03/20 at 3:33 pm

Why do you think this? I've been seeing a lot of people share this sentiment and I don't know why.

Not saying I disagree with you completely, but as a general societal consensus, TV has undergone a rebirth, and is the best it's been in years.

I personally am not a fan of modern TV, but probably for different reasons than you - as someone with bad anxiety, current TV is too intense, gritty, and serious, and it just makes me uncomfortably on edge

What I miss from the good old days are nice family sitcoms, you rarely see them on TV these days.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/03/20 at 4:24 pm

What I miss from the good old days are nice family sitcoms, you rarely see them on TV these days.

I strongly agree. Gritty, "real" TV is great and all, but I just miss the lighthearted-yet-well-written and silly crazy stuff we used to have. Most lighthearted shows these days are cringey trash (though I do hate to use the word cringey)

It sucks cause my husband can binge watch any number of depressing, serious shows, and he gets upset with me when I can't stand to watch more than two episodes at a time.

That's another thing I can't stand - "binge watching". I miss when you watched an episode, then another show came on and you would wait a week for the next episode. Now everyone just watches 12 episode seasons in one sitting and I hate it.

But enough about TV, I could go on for a very long time...

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/03/20 at 5:51 pm

Yeah, in school, I try to be nice towards everyone I meet, and I can be over apologetic when I make a mistake haha. I also try helping people with anxiety/depression, and I try to motivate people by giving advice and motivation quotes. I always wanted to be a good person, but sometimes, there are people who treat me poorly, like the fake friends I mentioned... Say, what's the graphics card in your PC, and how much ram do you have? Jk jk.  ;D

Tbh we need more guys like you :) i can tell you have a very kind heart. Something I wish someone told me when I was a teenager is to never let people take advantage of that !

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/03/20 at 6:40 pm

Tbh we need more guys like you :)

Definitely, yeah. If ever I like a short-haired guy, he'd have to be a nerd. I'm not trolling when I say that.

Written By: man 2000 on 01/03/20 at 7:38 pm

There is a few good tv shows out there on tv, but not an whole lot.

The old days of TV and the way of life was much better.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/03/20 at 7:40 pm

Can you explain why? I'm genuinely curious. The way you've stated it kind of comes across like like pure nostalgia

Written By: violet_shy on 01/03/20 at 7:47 pm

Well, 2019 was ok for me. I released some great songs during the year. Hoping to do the same this year in 2020.  :)

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/20 at 7:48 pm

I agree the quality of TV was way better back then.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/03/20 at 8:00 pm

Tbh we need more guys like you :) i can tell you have a very kind heart. Something I wish someone told me when I was a teenager is to never let people take advantage of that !

Aww thanks! If you ever feel sad or angry, we can chat about it

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/03/20 at 8:01 pm

Definitely, yeah. If ever I like a short-haired guy, he'd have to be a nerd. I'm not trolling when I say that.

I'm not really a nerd, but not a jock either, more in line with the middle class

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/03/20 at 8:21 pm

I'm not really a nerd, but not a jock either, more in line with the middle class

Oh... I thought from when you typed about RAM that you were a nerd.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/20 at 9:17 pm

In the famous words of Paul Mooney, Everybody wanna be a nerd, but don't nobody wanna be a nerd  :-\\

I was talking to my friend and told him I got an Xbox 360 for my 15th birthday (Feb. 2008). The girls in my class said " Are you seriously talking about video games? Ugh.  ::) " and turned up their nose  :\'( ;D

Written By: man 2000 on 01/04/20 at 3:31 am

Can you explain why? I'm genuinely curious. The way you've stated it kind of comes across like like pure nostalgia

I already explain what i said.

TV/ Commercials/ Movies/ Music/ The way of life were much better in the old days.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/04/20 at 8:25 am

I already explain what i said.

TV/ Commercials/ Movies/ Music/ The way of life were much better in the old days.

You're not really explaining, you're just making a statement and not explaining why you feel that way. But it's okay, don't worry about it

Written By: Howard on 01/04/20 at 4:07 pm

But there are some good ones in this day and age.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/20 at 4:07 pm

I agree the quality of TV was way better back then.

And I go back about 35 years ago.

Written By: man 2000 on 01/04/20 at 9:21 pm

You're not really explaining, you're just making a statement and not explaining why you feel that way. But it's okay, don't worry about it

I feel like that because when i was younger, the way of life was simpler and more enjoyable then it is now that i'm am older.

There are some good tv shows left on tv, but only a few tv shows that is worth watching.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/04/20 at 11:09 pm

Heck, before 2019 even started, I thought it was gonna be a fun year, Slim95 thought so too, but then, we ended up getting this piece of crap we didnt ask for and that didnt live up to our expectations!  >:( Goodbye 2019, you suck.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/20 at 12:21 am

I strongly agree. Gritty, "real" TV is great and all, but I just miss the lighthearted-yet-well-written and silly crazy stuff we used to have. Most lighthearted shows these days are cringey trash (though I do hate to use the word cringey)

It sucks cause my husband can binge watch any number of depressing, serious shows, and he gets upset with me when I can't stand to watch more than two episodes at a time.

That's another thing I can't stand - "binge watching". I miss when you watched an episode, then another show came on and you would wait a week for the next episode. Now everyone just watches 12 episode seasons in one sitting and I hate it.

I just finished watching Season 2 of American Vandal. There are still many great 2010s comedies :D

Laugh track sitcoms were all the rage in the 80s/90s and to a lesser extent in the 2000s. But there was an avalanche of low quality ones abusing the laugh track (looking at That '70s Show and Frasier...) that that bubble eventually burst. Instead, comedies like Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development and The Office were the ones pushing the envelope, and we live in that same era today.

You can still find a lot of laugh track family sitcoms on the Disney Channel. 90% of them are awful and targeted at preteens, but there are a few that are decent and appropriate for all ages.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/20 at 6:49 am

I feel like that because when i was younger, the way of life was simpler and more enjoyable then it is now that i'm am older.

There are some good tv shows left on tv, but only a few tv shows that is worth watching.

Do you watch the sitcom "Mom"?  ???

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/05/20 at 7:52 am

I just finished watching Season 2 of American Vandal. There are still many great 2010s comedies :D

Laugh track sitcoms were all the rage in the 80s/90s and to a lesser extent in the 2000s. But there was an avalanche of low quality ones abusing the laugh track (looking at That '70s Show and Frasier...) that that bubble eventually burst. Instead, comedies like Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development and The Office were the ones pushing the envelope, and we live in that same era today.

You can still find a lot of laugh track family sitcoms on the Disney Channel. 90% of them are awful and targeted at preteens, but there are a few that are decent and appropriate for all ages.

Ugh, I can't stand laugh track sitcoms!

I have no reason to doubt you when you say there's great comedy nowadays, but I don't know what it is about modern television, I just find it so hard to watch. Like I find the most intense, serious 80s/90s TV much easier to digest than the most lighthearted 2010s show. I don't know exactly why that is.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/05/20 at 1:41 pm

Disney+ comes out with new episodes of shows every week, just like cable. So there is a bit of a compromise.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/20 at 1:52 pm

Ugh, I can't stand laugh track sitcoms!

I have no reason to doubt you when you say there's great comedy nowadays, but I don't know what it is about modern television, I just find it so hard to watch. Like I find the most intense, serious 80s/90s TV much easier to digest than the most lighthearted 2010s show. I don't know exactly why that is.

Do you watch today's sitcoms?

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/05/20 at 5:13 pm

Do you watch today's sitcoms?

I don't watch a huge amount of TV in general, but yes I've seen multiple episodes of serveral of today's offerings

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/05/20 at 11:00 pm

If you guys are still not convinced about how dark 2019 was, I'll show you examples in terms of music and music videos. One of the most popular songs that defined 2019 was Bad Guy by Billie Eilish, but with 2016, it was Closer by Chainsmokers. They're nowhere near similar, and they shouldn't be compared, but this is to show how happier the mid 2010s were as opposed to the depressing pure late 2010s.

2016:
PT2_F-1esPk

2019:
DyDfgMOUjCI

Notice the substantial downgrade? 2016 had a more optimistic/chill mood while 2019 is pessimistic and bland. Lots of music videos from 2013-2016 usually take place in the day, where the sun is up, while 2019 takes place in a more night setting. Music videos from 2013-2016 were well saturated, but 2019 is a little undersaturated and has either a red or blue tint to them. They're less colorful and vibrant as opposed to the polished Mid 2010s.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/05/20 at 11:25 pm

If I could list the only positives I could give for 2019, I could, but too bad this year has been overshadowed by 90% darkness.

-Lizzo's songs like Juice and Truth Hurts were amazing
-Mandalorian was great, Baby Yoda though  :D SO CUTE!!!
-Stranger Things season 3 was awesome
-Avengers Endgame and Spiderman Far From Home were the only movies I enjoyed this year. The rest were trash and underwhelming.
-My sister got married with her husband, celebration!!
-We travelled to Waterton, AB

Other than that, 2019 was PURE GARBAGE. 2018 was miles ahead better, and 2017 just DESTROYS 2019. 2018 and 2017 would have way more than the 6 points I mentioned.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/20 at 12:11 am

If you guys are still not convinced about how dark 2019 was, I'll show you examples in terms of music and music videos. One of the most popular songs that defined 2019 was Bad Guy by Billie Eilish, but with 2016, it was Closer by Chainsmokers. They're nowhere near similar, and they shouldn't be compared, but this is to show how happier the mid 2010s were as opposed to the depressing pure late 2010s.

2016:
PT2_F-1esPk

2019:
DyDfgMOUjCI

Notice the substantial downgrade? 2016 had a more optimistic/chill mood while 2019 is pessimistic and bland. Lots of music videos from 2013-2016 usually take place in the day, where the sun is up, while 2019 takes place in a more night setting. Music videos from 2013-2016 were well saturated, but 2019 is a little undersaturated and has either a red or blue tint to them. They're less colorful and vibrant as opposed to the polished Mid 2010s.

2016 is not mid 2010s though.... It is late 2010s. How can anyone say 2016 is in any way similar to 2014? EDM was not mainstream in 2014 (besides a few songs) or 2015. If you want, I can accept that there is a late 2010s part 2, another late 2010s era which is why the music sounds different. But that's just too much because music is not the only thing you need to look into.

Why do you keep saying 2013 - 2016 is mid 2010s? Only 2014 and 2015 were mid 2010s. You do realize 2017 - 2019 had a bunch of EDM songs around too right?

Anyways, just how many EDM songs make the chart do not go and prove that it is a different era. There are many factors involved.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/06/20 at 6:36 am

2016 is not mid 2010s though.... It is late 2010s. How can anyone say 2016 is in any way similar to 2014? EDM was not mainstream in 2014 (besides a few songs) or 2015. If you want, I can accept that there is a late 2010s part 2, another late 2010s era which is why the music sounds different. But that's just too much because music is not the only thing you need to look into.

Why do you keep saying 2013 - 2016 is mid 2010s? Only 2014 and 2015 were mid 2010s. You do realize 2017 - 2019 had a bunch of EDM songs around too right?

Anyways, just how many EDM songs make the chart do not go and prove that it is a different era. There are many factors involved.

Well sorry if I keep disagreeing, and I dont mean to sound rude or anything but I already explained the similarities between 2014 and 2016 with Vine, GTA 5, Rick & Morty, Orange Is The New Black, Pop music, etc.

I only posted that 2016 & 2019 comparison because I hated 2019. It's to show how downgraded and more depressed 2019 was as opposed to the happy 2016. But let's agree that 2019 is worse than 2016 either way.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/06/20 at 6:45 am

2016:
PT2_F-1esPk

2019:
DyDfgMOUjCI

I don't really understand how you can say this though, don't you remember how much everyone despised 2016? Everyone was miserable, and I'd say the public mood was the lowest it had been since the recession. I remember at the end of 2016, there were loads of articles discussing whether or not 2016 was one of the worst years in history, as a response to what people were saying

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/06/20 at 7:39 am

I don't really understand how you can say this though, don't you remember how much everyone despised 2016? Everyone was miserable, and I'd say the public mood was the lowest it had been since the recession. I remember at the end of 2016, there were loads of articles discussing whether or not 2016 was one of the worst years in history, as a response to what people were saying

This is from a 15 year old's point of view. I remember when teens didnt have that E-Girl/E-Boy look and werent openly depressed. Teens back in 2016 were happier and were more focused on pop music and EDM instead of Alt/Indie-Pop. Yes there were lots of problems with politics but pop culturally, feels more alive in 2016. Nowadays, teenagers are openly depressed.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/20 at 1:14 pm

Well sorry if I keep disagreeing, and I dont mean to sound rude or anything but I already explained the similarities between 2014 and 2016 with Vine, GTA 5, Rick & Morty, Orange Is The New Black, Pop music, etc.

I only posted that 2016 & 2019 comparison because I hated 2019. It's to show how downgraded and more depressed 2019 was as opposed to the happy 2016. But let's agree that 2019 is worse than 2016 either way.

Ok but pop music was different in 2016 compared to 2014. In 2016 pop was EDM. In 2014 it wasn't it was just about slow ballads by Sam Smith and John Legend. In early 2014, trap wasn't even on the charts. Not to mention the vast political differences as well. And other trends like Pokemon Go... 2015 and 2016 were both major transitional years. Vine dying isn't the only thing that changed.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/20 at 1:17 pm

I remember people hated 2016 though I am confused as to why. Is it because a lot of older celebrities died that year?  ??? Anyways 2016 wasn't amazing but it was in no way one of the worst years of the 2010s. It is right in the middle and you can look back at 2016 and enjoy it.

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/20 at 2:25 pm

I remember people hated 2016 though I am confused as to why. Is it because a lot of older celebrities died that year?  ??? Anyways 2016 wasn't amazing but it was in no way one of the worst years of the 2010s. It is right in the middle and you can look back at 2016 and enjoy it.

Terrorist attacks, far right/racist politics, refugee crisis,  etc. 2016 was rough.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/20 at 2:52 pm

Terrorist attacks, far right/racist politics, refugee crisis,  etc. 2016 was rough.

Those things were always around that isn't limited to 2016..

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/20 at 2:56 pm

Those things were always around that isn't limited to 2016..

Not in 2010-2014 (and no Brexit in 2015). Not many terrorist attacks or refugees in 2018/2019 either.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/20 at 3:00 pm

I don't watch a huge amount of TV in general, but yes I've seen multiple episodes of serveral of today's offerings

How about "Mom" with Allison Janney? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/20 at 3:17 pm

Not in 2010-2014 (and no Brexit in 2015). Not many terrorist attacks or refugees in 2018/2019 either.

In 2014 and 2015 there was still violence around and anyway it's pretty dumb for a person to proclaim 2016 as the worst year ever just because they don't like vocal political opinions of people on the other side or Brexit. That doesn't make 2016 bad at all. Politics has always been bad people can suck it up and enjoy the year. 2016 was not a bad year.

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/20 at 3:42 pm

In 2014 and 2015 there was still violence around and anyway it's pretty dumb for a person to proclaim 2016 as the worst year ever just because they don't like vocal political opinions of people on the other side or Brexit. That doesn't make 2016 bad at all. Politics has always been bad people can suck it up and enjoy the year. 2016 was not a bad year.

You can hate an era for its politics. I've seen you do that all the time. 2016 was easily the worst year for that.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/06/20 at 4:21 pm

2016 was definitely the worst year of the 2010's by a long shot. It was indeed horrible for politics in America let's say post-Civil Rights era. Even many folks in their 50's & 60's who lived throughout many elections and other (controversial) political years believed that 2016 was the absolute most bizarre and worst ever. The rise of Trump was already bad enough (and Hilary had her issues too) but whether you are on Trump's side or not, his arrival into the political world has opened the light and has exposed a lot of true colors outta no where. Back to 2016, there was a lot of other bad about 2016 too. IMO, 2016 was the worst year for music of the decade, and my least favorite year for movies in theater compared to other years of the 2010's. There was so much that went wrong in 2016 and I'm not even bringing up all of it. I'm sorry.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/20 at 5:39 pm

Well I disagree. I think 2016 was one of the better years of the 2010s. One of the best. Even though it was a late 2010s year it was still a good year. The funny thing is while 2016 was going on I didn't like it and thought it sucked but I didn't know how much worse culture would get afterwards so. Didn't know how good we had it. 2016 is the 4th best year of the 2010s. The worst and darkest years were 2012 and 2018. 2010 and 2011 were also dark years because the recession was in full swing. 2016 was not dark though. You had Pokemon Go, EDM songs like the Chainsmokers (even though they weren't necessarily upbeat), and other fun things that year.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/06/20 at 5:44 pm

Well I disagree. I think 2016 was one of the better years of the 2010s. One of the best. Even though it was a late 2010s year it was still a good year. The funny thing is while 2016 was going on I didn't like it and thought it sucked but I didn't know how much worse culture would get afterwards so. Didn't know how good we had it. 2016 is the 4th best year of the 2010s. The worst and darkest years were 2012 and 2018. 2010 and 2011 were also dark years because the recession was in full swing. 2016 was not dark though. You had Pokemon Go, EDM songs like the Chainsmokers (even though they weren't necessarily upbeat), and other fun things that year.

What was wrong with 2012 in particular? I remember reading an article at the time that argued 2012 was one of the best years to live in in the history of mankind, with hunger, need and war at all time lows.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/06/20 at 5:55 pm

To keep it simple:
Culturally, 2010-Mid 2018 was good. Late 2018-2019 sucked.

Politically, 2010-Early 2016 were stable. Mid 2016 to present becomes unstable with Brexit and gets further amplified Trump's election in November 2016.

Economically, 2010-2012 was under major recession. 2013-2019 are more robust in the economy.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/06/20 at 5:56 pm

Ohh I loved 2016! Even 2017 was great too! 2018 was ok, 2019 was the only trashy year for pop culture.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/20 at 6:08 pm

What was wrong with 2012 in particular? I remember reading an article at the time that argued 2012 was one of the best years to live in in the history of mankind, with hunger, need and war at all time lows.

So many things were bad that year. Music and fashion sucked firstly. Then there was that school shooting which made the year very dark. And also the effects of the recession were still around in most places. It was also a very boring year for TV and movies, nothing good came out that year.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/06/20 at 7:21 pm

So many things were bad that year. Music and fashion sucked firstly. Then there was that school shooting which made the year very dark. And also the effects of the recession were still around in most places. It was also a very boring year for TV and movies, nothing good came out that year.

For me it was a great year though, 2012 was great!

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/20 at 7:27 pm

Everyone has a different opinion and that is okay.

Written By: man 2000 on 01/06/20 at 7:37 pm

2010-2019 were a bad decade and a really bad year all the way around.

Shootings after Shootings, racism at is highest and we are not doing enough to stop it.

Hardly anything good on TV  anymore and there are barely anymore good Movies for that matter.

Music wasn't that good during this decade, like it was in the past decades.

2019 was a horrible year.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/08/20 at 12:13 am

Aww thanks! If you ever feel sad or angry, we can chat about it

Aww you’re literally awesome. Thank you so much ☺️ 💗

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/08/20 at 1:42 pm

Aww you’re literally awesome. Thank you so much ☺️ 💗

Yeah no problem  :)

Written By: Sman12 on 01/08/20 at 2:11 pm

Totally agree. 2012 is honestly my favorite year for music this previous decade. Here are my personal favorite songs from that year:
*Call Me Maybe
*Diamonds
*Die Young
*Don't You Worry Child
*Locked Out of Heaven
*Gangnam Style
*N***as in Paris
*Set Fire to the Rain
*Somebody I Used to Know
*Some Nights
*Swimming Pools (Drank)
*Thinkin Bout You
*Thrift Shop
Also, 2012 was the year channel ORANGE by Frank Ocean and good kid, m.a.a.d city by Kendrick Lamar came out, so those are also bonuses. :)

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/08/20 at 2:38 pm

Atrocious.  Worst year of my life!!

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/08/20 at 4:29 pm

Totally agree. 2012 is honestly my favorite year for music this previous decade. Here are my personal favorite songs from that year:
*Call Me Maybe
*Diamonds
*Die Young
*Don't You Worry Child
*Locked Out of Heaven
*Gangnam Style
*N***as in Paris
*Set Fire to the Rain
*Somebody I Used to Know
*Some Nights
*Swimming Pools (Drank)
*Thinkin Bout You
*Thrift Shop
Also, 2012 was the year channel ORANGE by Frank Ocean and good kid, m.a.a.d city by Kendrick Lamar came out, so those are also bonuses. :)

Yeah. 2012 wasnt my #1 favourite but definitely one of my top 5

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/08/20 at 4:29 pm

I feel ya.  :\'(

Written By: MikeyYankeeMan99 on 01/08/20 at 4:30 pm

I was anxious all the way throughout 2019.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/20 at 5:24 pm

*Call Me Maybe
*Diamonds
*Die Young
*Don't You Worry Child
*Locked Out of Heaven
*Gangnam Style
*N***as in Paris
*Set Fire to the Rain
*Somebody I Used to Know
*Some Nights
*Swimming Pools (Drank)
*Thinkin Bout You
*Thrift Shop

Thrift Shop was not popular in 2012 it got popular in 2013.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/08/20 at 6:14 pm

Thrift Shop was not popular in 2012 it got popular in 2013.

Well, it was released from 2012, so that's why I included it. I understand that it got way more popular in the next year, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...