inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Narcissist Twenty-Teens

Written By: exodus08 on 12/29/19 at 5:30 pm

If I had to give this decade a name it would have to be "The Narcissist Twenty-Teens" thanks to Social Media and YouTube. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Tik Tok, YouTube.ect have Influenced this decade to where we became narcissist.

Subject: Re: The Narcissist Twenty-Teens

Written By: 2001 on 12/29/19 at 5:57 pm

I call it the Turbulent Tens since it was so changeful from beginning to end. I don't think we've seen such a changeful decade since the '60s.

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/29/19 at 6:27 pm

If I had to give this decade a name it would have to be "The Narcissist Twenty-Teens" thanks to Social Media and YouTube. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Tik Tok, YouTube.ect have Influenced this decade to where we became narcissist.

Sadly you may not be wrong. I hope some better trend emerges in how we interact online and platforms to do so.  ???

Written By: Sman12 on 12/29/19 at 7:08 pm

I call it the Turbulent Tens since it was so changeful from beginning to end. I don't think we've seen such a changeful decade since the '60s.

I feel like every decade leading up to now has their own fair share of turbulence. But while I do agree that the 2010s are turbulent, the 2000s were possibly more hectic considering that people had to endure 9/11, the Iraq War/War on Terror, and the Great Recession.

Written By: 2001 on 12/29/19 at 7:25 pm

I feel like every decade leading up to now has their own fair share of turbulence. But while I do agree that the 2010s are turbulent, the 2000s were possibly more hectic considering that people had to endure 9/11, the Iraq War/War on Terror, and the Great Recession.

I was thinking more along the lines of social changes. The Arab Spring, Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter, the LGBTQ revolution, the Euromaidan, the 2015 refugee crisis, Brexit, the rise of far right populism, #MeToo etc. The list is exhaustive (I had a bigger list but accidentally hit back page grrr). The world from 2010 feels unrecognizable. I don't remember this being the case between 2008 and 2000, there were technological changes sure, but socially life carried on as normal. The recession really turned everything upside down.

Written By: Sman12 on 12/29/19 at 8:34 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of social changes. The Arab Spring, Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter, the LGBTQ revolution, the Euromaidan, the 2015 refugee crisis, Brexit, the rise of far right populism, #MeToo etc. The list is exhaustive (I had a bigger list but accidentally hit back page grrr). The world from 2010 feels unrecognizable. I don't remember this being the case between 2008 and 2000, there were technological changes sure, but socially life carried on as normal. The recession really turned everything upside down.

Then I actually agree with you on the 2010s being more turbulent in terms of sociopolitical change.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/29/19 at 8:51 pm

So do you think the 2010's were more transitional socially and the 2000's were more transitional technologically?

Written By: 2001 on 12/29/19 at 9:14 pm

So do you think the 2010's were more transitional socially and the 2000's were more transitional technologically?

I would say yes to the former. I would say the latter is debateable. Some focus on gadgets, the 2000s had a lot of those: digital cameras, Blu-ray players, HDTVs, cellphones etc. The 2010s consolidated everything into smartphones, so there weren't many new gadgets, but I think it's wrong to focus on DVDs and iPods like they completely changed the game but then ignore Netflix or Spotify as a technological game changer.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/19 at 4:37 am

I've been noticing that trend a lot.

Check for new replies or respond here...