inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I think I've found the new HipHop sound of the '20s

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/31/19 at 11:37 pm

UK Drill type beats will be the sound of rap in the early 2020s.

kx7P_ENnDPE

Many folks in the comments are saying this too.

For reference trap music has been in the mainstream since the mid '00s and peaked in popularity in the 2010s.

Edit: Another video on trending right below the first one.
O89QCfHr2qc

Subject: Re: I think I've found the new HipHop sound of the '20s

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/31/19 at 11:49 pm

Is it just me or does it sound like Timbaland's beats from the Y2K era? I know I sound crazy and I dont mean to ruin Y2K music here but the flow is the same, just louder and more rap than R&B...

Just listen to Are you that somebody, and notice how it literally has a similar flow/beat

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/01/20 at 12:40 am

Damn this sh!t fire af. If that's the new sound of the 2020's then 2020's hip-hop is already way better than 2010's hip-hop.  ;D ;D

Written By: mc98 on 01/01/20 at 12:44 am

Wow, this sounds better than Trap music. It seems that Drake is hopping on that sound already and will probably be the sound of his next album.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/01/20 at 2:41 am

Wow, this sounds better than Trap music. It seems that Drake is hopping on that sound already and will probably be the sound of his next album.

I know right, but right now, Drill rap is still not fully developed, and still has so many Trap/mumble rap elements. Later on though, it would sound awesome!

Written By: Slim95 on 01/01/20 at 2:56 am

It sounds similar to trap to me. I don't like it. I'll stick with listening to Tupac.

The second video sounds better than the first though. That guy is talented.

Written By: Dundee on 01/01/20 at 5:18 am

UK drill actually grew out of Chicago drill (+grime) which grew out of trap.

And actually most people have heard this before since 2017's "Man's Not Hot" is UK drill ;D.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/01/20 at 9:37 am

oorVWW9ywG0
This song is fire.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/01/20 at 11:14 am

lIlMtVGI5Pg

Drake is already jumping on UK drill. He released this last week ;D.

Written By: J. Rob on 01/02/20 at 12:07 am

Not really feeling it.....I'm tired of one sound dominating the mainstream

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/02/20 at 1:19 pm

Not really feeling it.....I'm tired of one sound dominating the mainstream

UK drill is not really "mainstream" (at least in America and most of the world). UK drill is mostly popular in the UK (duh ;D).

Also, UK drill has a different sound to most mainstream American/Canadian rap songs.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/20 at 2:54 pm

UK drill is not really "mainstream" (at least in America and most of the world). UK drill is mostly popular in the UK (duh ;D).

Also, UK drill has a different sound to most mainstream American/Canadian rap songs.

The point is it doesn't have a different sound. It sounds exactly like trap and lo-fi. Which is why it shouldn't be the next genre because it sounds too similar to mainstream music. Hip Hop needs a break in the mainstream. Then it can find a new genre and get popular with that if it wants. I myself will continue to stick go old school rap.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/13/20 at 6:07 pm

Is it just me or does it sound like Timbaland's beats from the Y2K era? I know I sound crazy and I dont mean to ruin Y2K music here but the flow is the same, just louder and more rap than R&B...

Just listen to Are you that somebody, and notice how it literally has a similar flow/beat

Please please please listen to “Searchin” by a group called SONDER.Came out in late 2016 or early 2017 and it sounds extremely like Timbaland, Missy and Aaliyah’s sound during her One in a million era. That whole album INTO sounds like it was produced by him. It’s a really underground group. Brent Faiyaz is in that group. I really want R&B to sound like this again. The album is soooo good !!!!! If you’re an rnb fan thank me later after you listen hahahah. It sounds very 90’s/y2kish https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ox1NsRJ5aUA

Written By: temaichi on 01/13/20 at 8:56 pm

UK drill has been around for eight years. It belongs in the 10s.
Alot of UK rappers here has already moved on to afro beats or trap music. I would rather listen to that for a breath of fresh air!

Written By: Sman12 on 01/13/20 at 10:13 pm

UK drill has been around for eight years. It belongs in the 10s.
Alot of UK rappers here has already moved on to afro beats or trap music. I would rather listen to that for a breath of fresh air!

Honestly, I'm hoping for pretty much anything to take trap's crown in the rap game in the next few years or so.

Check for new replies or respond here...