inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why so many people on this site hate the 2010s?

Written By: muppethammer26 on 01/02/20 at 8:23 pm

I heard a lot of people on this site like to bash the 2010s. In my opinion, I think the 2010s are an OK decade for me. Why there’s so much hatred for the 2010s on this site compared to the other decades?

Subject: Re: Why so many people on this site hate the 2010s?

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/02/20 at 9:48 pm

Because we don't have our rose colored glasses yet.

Written By: wixness on 01/02/20 at 10:05 pm

- The music sounds awful to me - it sounds too random unlike how I think the 2000s did music. I guess I also lament the death of rock, metal and pop punk this decade.

- Even if I found music I liked, they're mostly on streaming services only where the songs can't be guaranteed to stay forever even if you pay subscription fees and even if you download them offline. There's a technology called DRM that's making this happen.

- The fashion looks too gender conforming in my eyes - you may hear about the LGBT community talking about gender a lot this decade and a lot about attack helicopter jokes, but I feel like people dress in a more gender conforming way than they did in the past - compare this especially with the 70s and 80s. I think at least it's down to the hair, but I expected better from an LGBT-friendly decade.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/02/20 at 10:30 pm

-Because even school facilities have started to expect young people to have smartphones, perhaps just to keep them dependent on all the misinformation out there.

-Because I figured out during that decade that I was gay, but every guy I saw who wasn't straight was a fugly jock. In the few months I had Grindr, our 'tolerant' community talked S#!T to me because I didn't like uggos. They actually sent vitriol to me because I liked other Emos who, in particular, were long-haired. *sigh* my lord...
  - Don't mistake me for saying all Emo guys are gay because most of the emo guys I saw online are straight.

-All the music I heard on the radio was TERRIBLE, with very few exceptions.

-It was full of memes on the Internet which took very little creativity to make. I might have been able to tolerate it if there otherwise were more macroimages, i. e. variety in the pictures, than there really were.

-Increasing pollution.

-This is more on a personal note, but twice during the decade I was almost arrested unjustifiably.

Soon before the '20s rolled around, I definitely played 'Perfect' by Simple Plan so that things in the song got intense as the fireworks cracked. If things did not turn around for my counterculture, I would at least be part of a backlash by playing something other than rap at a loud volume.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/20 at 11:40 pm

Yep. I say come back and 10-15 years and let's see if people still hate it.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/20 at 11:48 pm

- The fashion looks too gender conforming in my eyes - you may hear about the LGBT community talking about gender a lot this decade and a lot about attack helicopter jokes, but I feel like people dress in a more gender conforming way than they did in the past - compare this especially with the 70s and 80s. I think at least it's down to the hair, but I expected better from an LGBT-friendly decade.

I don't think that's the case anymore. I see dudes with curtain hair/long hair everywhere since 2017/2018 or so. Dudes even wearing nail polish these days.

Written By: wixness on 01/03/20 at 12:00 am

I don't think that's the case anymore. I see dudes with curtain hair/long hair everywhere since 2017/2018 or so. Dudes even wearing nail polish these days.
Not a fan of the 90s curtain hair, sorry. At best I can tolerate it in Dragon Ball (Z) and 90s films, just not on people.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/03/20 at 1:14 am

I find the 2010s to be quite decent overall in pop culture. I personally disliked the late 2010s due to the stagnant and uninteresting mainstream music scene, hostile political atmosphere, and Hollywood's over-reliance on reboots, remakes, and sequels (the entire decade had these, but they were more widespread in the later half of the decade). Everything (except maybe for the memes) just felt boring and tame to me, and I can't see myself reminiscing on years like 2018 and go, "Wow! This year was awesome! It definitely didn't have lackluster popular music, oversaturated superhero movies and reboots, and overrated battle royale games!"

But I did enjoy the early-mid 2010s a lot, so I'll definitely remember them with great hindsight.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/20 at 1:30 am

Actually I think the better and more proper question is why do so many people on this site like the 2010s? It's like I'm one of the only few people who hates it on here and I'm made to look crazy because of my opinion on it lol. I think there was more backlash on this site towards the 2000s in 2010. I don't know what you guys see in this decade and why you defend it and like it so much.  ;D

Written By: man 2000 on 01/03/20 at 4:00 am

Hating the 2010s make a whole lot of darn sense.

The 2010s decade turn out to sucked so much, there is a number of reasons why people hate the decade all together.

Here is the reason why the 2010s sucked so bad.

Lacked of any good TV/Commercials/Movies/Music/News

Lacked of anymore common sense in our society

Nobody cares about anybody anymore, the homeless problem is getting worst and worst.

The rich keep getting rich, while the poor keep getting poorer.

The price of renting is way too over price, it is really hard to even find a place to live.

I don't know why anybody in their right mind would defend the 2010s, because it is not a good decade at all.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/20 at 4:02 am

Hating the 2010s make a whole lot of darn sense.

The 2010s decade turn out to sucked so bad, there is a number of reasons why people hate the decade all together.

Here is the reason why the 2010s sucked so bad.

Lacked of any good TV/Commercials/Movies/Music/News

Lacked of anymore common sense in our society

Nobody cares about anybody anymore, the homeless problem is getting worst and worst.

The rich keep getting rich, while the poor keep getting poorer.

The price of renting is way too over price, it is really hard to even find a place to live.

PREACH!

Written By: man 2000 on 01/03/20 at 4:07 am

PREACH!

Yeah i preach really good.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/03/20 at 6:07 am

I’ve noticed some common trends with people that often hate on the 2010’s. They’re usually at least two of these:

-90’s or 2000’s kid
-Low self-esteem
-Dissatisfaction with their personal life
-Overly nostalgic
-Refusal to listen to new music and try new things
-Has a hard time living in the present

Written By: Fearsword on 01/03/20 at 6:15 am

The sites demographic is far younger now than it was in 2010.

Actually I think the better and more proper question is why do so many people on this site like the 2010s? It's like I'm one of the only few people who hates it on here and I'm made to look crazy because of my opinion on it lol. I think there was more backlash on this site towards the 2000s in 2010. I don't know what you guys see in this decade and why you defend it and like it so much.  ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/03/20 at 6:40 am

Please stop lol. You’re not special. Like 90% of people on this site hate the 2010s. It’s an anti-2010’s circlejerk at this point.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/20 at 7:11 am

What about the neckbeards too? ???

Written By: Dundee on 01/03/20 at 9:08 am

Because angsty teenagers and 20-somethings

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/20 at 9:57 am

I’ve noticed some common trends with people that often hate on the 2010’s. They’re usually at least two of these:

-90’s or 2000’s kid
-Low self-esteem
-Overly nostalgic

Spot on. Just from reading all the posts it's very obvious that it "sounds like a you problem" rather than with the decade itself.

Don't get me wrong, there are many valid criticisms of the 2010s to be had, but it's funny when they say "there are no good TV shows, no good movies, no good music blah blah blah", and you point them in the direction where they can find good media (because trust me there is A LOT), they refuse to listen. That's when you know they're not being entirely sincere.

The '90s/'00s kid is also a big one. Many people here REFUSE to acknowledge they were kids in a certain era, and as such they effectively have no memory of what it was like to be an adult in that era, and also that they have rose coloured glasses on. I honestly don't think you've really experienced a decade unless you were 15 and above in it. Other than that, your testimony on how "chill laid back" is as reliable as someone was 4 at the end of the decade.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/20 at 10:36 am

What about the neckbeards too? ???

That was 2007 Richard Dawkins fans ;D (and me at my first beard attempt in 2015  :-[)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/03/20 at 11:51 am

There are a variety of reasons. It's that they didn't like the style of music. It could be they despised the direction of films being mainly superhero or dramas. Maybe they loathed how political everything was from abortion to LGBT. It's not always personal motives.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/03/20 at 12:06 pm

I hate social media, people being glued to their smartphones, and all the bland forgettable music. I do have to say the 2000s started a lot of this sheesh.

Written By: shrinkingviolet on 01/03/20 at 12:18 pm

Spot on. Just from reading all the posts it's very obvious that it "sounds like a you problem" rather than with the decade itself.

The '90s/'00s kid is also a big one. Many people here REFUSE to acknowledge they were kids in a certain era, and as such they effectively have no memory of what it was like to be an adult in that era, and also that they have rose coloured glasses on. I honestly don't think you've really experienced a decade unless you were 15 and above in it. Other than that, your testimony on how "chill laid back" is as reliable as someone was 4 at the end of the decade.
I agree with this a 100%. The 90s was a Generation X decade and those annoying 90s kids belong to the 2000s.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 01/03/20 at 1:44 pm

I think it's a shame the whole decade gets as much hate as it does, the early 2010s were actually kinda decent looking back, even though I hated it at the time. Sadly, I think the awful politics from 2016 onwards will always cast a dark shadow over the whole period

Written By: Howard on 01/03/20 at 3:35 pm

I hate social media, people being glued to their smartphones, and all the bland forgettable music. I do have to say the 2000s started a lot of this sheesh.

And this became a bad habit for a lot of people.

Written By: wixness on 01/04/20 at 9:54 am

An exemplary comment of one of the types of people that hate the 2010s, those who also hate the 2000s. I do agree, but since I've only known the 2000s and 2010s, I'm not sure if I can wish for anything else.

Written By: imrane on 01/04/20 at 10:04 am

Late 2000s/early 10s culture was better imo than late 2010s. I remember fondly the popularity of Heidi the possum, YouTube poop videos of Sonix or Dexter's Lab Animations, Rebbecah Black's Friday notoriety, Disney chanel in 2006-2013 was great! I hate trap music and the only late 10's song I like is "Djadja". I think Rihanna sounded better in Diamonds/Monster era than in B/tch better have my money.

Written By: man 2000 on 01/04/20 at 9:54 pm

The 2010s has been a garbage of a decade and it didn't have anything worth liking or talking about.

10s culture was really awful and the clothes of the decade weren't all that great or even that interesting.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/05/20 at 4:23 pm

I don't like the direction social media went in. When all the social media sites we know of first started they were simple to use, then they think they need to change things that don't need monumental changes and it all goes downhill. I don't think the phone obsession will go away since the invention of phones you could do everything with like a handheld computer. It's convenient after all. Now it's just a matter of what new apps and media will be invented because let's face it, the popular ones have gotten so stale.

The 2010s has been a garbage of a decade and it didn't have anything worth liking or talking about.

10s culture was really awful and the clothes of the decade weren't all that great or even that interesting.

Specifically what culture and what clothing for example? I will say it didn't end on a happy note as far as I can tell. Ten years is a long time to find nothing good at all at some point though. I discovered quite a bit of new things I now like in the past decade, despite there being plenty of things I wasn't a fan of.

There are a variety of reasons. It's that they didn't like the style of music. It could be they despised the direction of films being mainly superhero or dramas. Maybe they loathed how political everything was from abortion to LGBT. It's not always personal motives.

Music always evolves, but it felt like every year the amount of new songs and variety played on the radio just dwindled down to a loop of the same five songs over and over again, with something different thrown in now and then, at least where I am.  It's like they don't care anymore so that can really influence your perspective if you don't look any further. There have been some real gems as far as film, games, and songs, it's just that the most popular of it that's thrown in our faces the most is the stuff that's rather "eh."

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/20 at 6:56 pm

I like social media and the opportunities of it. I just don't like people being glued to their phones all the time. There is a healthy and unhealthy way to use it.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/05/20 at 7:52 pm

I like social media and the opportunities of it. I just don't like people being glued to their phones all the time. There is a healthy and unhealthy way to use it.

It needs to evolve though. All the popular ones are past their prime. We need new things! I just don't see how people will un-glue themselves from the phone as long as apps exist.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/20 at 9:14 pm

At this point I think social media has done more harm than good.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/20 at 9:51 pm

No it hasn't.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/05/20 at 10:06 pm

No it hasn't.

It's definitely debatable. Social media has had its ups & downs on our society and culture. A perfect blend of positives and negatives. It's easy for a Boomer to easily criticize and find everything negative to say about social media, while it's easy for a Zoomer to easily praise and find everything positive to say about social media, but we have to break down all the pieces from an unbiased view point and see what social media has done to our pop culture and our everyday lives the past decade & a half or so. In the grand scheme of things overall (IMO), I agree more with Slowpoke here. Social media affects nearly every industry today, even industries we might not even follow. News reporters, sports, businesses, artists, actors, school teachers & students, politics, and so forth. Social media can save someone's life at the split second, can give us breaking news instantly, but at the same time, social media can get you in trouble or fired these days, even for a tweet you posted years ago that gets archived by someone looking for trouble outta you. LeBron James has to deal with social media over half his NBA career. Michael Jordan never had to deal with social media. Don't even get me started with the political debates and the political icons of social media, oh God.....

Written By: rapplepop on 01/05/20 at 10:56 pm

I liked the entire 2010s personally, but 2010-2014 was much better for pop culture. By 2015 I started having a harder time getting into new things, never been able to embrace trap music or Marvel movies.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/06/20 at 12:12 am

I liked the entire 2010s personally, but 2010-2014 was much better for pop culture. By 2015 I started having a harder time getting into new things, never been able to embrace trap music or Marvel movies.

Marvel movies were already around between 2010-2014. By the time Avengers came in 2012, the MCU was in its golden age.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/20 at 12:15 am

I despise the early 2010s. But oddly enough 2018 and 2019 somehow ended up being worse. If it wasn't for 2016 and 2017, the late 2010s would be considered the worst era of the decade. But because 2016 and 2017 were far better years, they did save this era and the early 2010s take the cake as being the worst. But 2018 and 2019 were so horrible that the two eras (early and late '10s) were almost equally bad, but still early '10s were worse overall. But by FAR, the mid 2010s (and 2013) were the best and most memorable era of this decade, no question about it and no contest. This is all pop culturally speaking of course. Personal life wise I have nothing against the late 2010s however the early 2010s were horrible for my personal life though.

Early 2017 in all honesty felt like 2013 in terms of quality mainstream songs on the radio. I don't know what happened but after around May/June, mainstream music degraded severely in 2017. This has NOTHING to do with early, mid, late stuff.... 2017 was NOT transitional it was a firm late 2010s year just like 2016 and 2018. It just has to do with 2017 and the year itself and mainstream music degrading the second half of the year and quality mainstream songs being replaced by garbage trap high in the charts.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/20 at 3:07 pm

I know the feeling Slim, I see it every single day!  ::)

Written By: man 2000 on 01/06/20 at 6:10 pm

I see the 2010s as one of the worst decades ever in human history.

We have no good common sense in our world anymore.

People nowadays act more like retarded idiots.

Finding a job is very hard, since they give it to all the Illegal immigrants.

Even finding a place to live has gotten to darn high.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/07/20 at 6:09 am

please get some help

Written By: wixness on 01/07/20 at 9:32 am

Some of these illegal immigrants would only either be shot by oppressive regimes, imprisoned by them or seriously injured or even killed as a result of such regimes or conflict or war. I think it's only right we accept them. As for those that aren't in trouble with their home country and leave only for money, then I guess it is more of an issue.

please get some help
This user's probably high on YouTube and places like Facebook, Reddit and Twitter. Those places are like the unofficial Fox News of the web.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/07/20 at 10:05 am

This user's probably high on YouTube and places like Facebook, Reddit and Twitter. Those places are like the unofficial Fox News of the web.

what lmao. Twitter and Reddit are like the most liberal social media platforms. What universe do you live in? ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 01/07/20 at 10:19 am

what lmao. Twitter and Reddit are like the most liberal social media platforms. What universe do you live in? ;D

Twitter, imo, is possibly the most toxic social media platform on the Internet.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/07/20 at 10:54 am

2012 had its ups and downs, but it was far from the worst 2010’s year. 2012 was one of the greatest years for movies ever. I do agree that the music in 2012 was kinda lackluster, but 2012 was still in the pinnacle of good fresh early 2010’s culture. I hated 2013 as it was going on but looking back 2013 wasn’t as bad as I thought, especially compared to an awful year like 2016, 2013 was just an unlucky 13 junior year for me.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/07/20 at 11:02 am

Let me just respond to the topic or question of this thread. In the grand scheme of things, the 2010’s wasn’t that bad a decade at all. On this site it’s an overreaction and exaggeration. It definitely wasn’t a good decade politically and worldly, but pop culturally it was pretty decent. I’d rather be a teen or young adult in the 2010’s than the 2000’s. Thankfully I was a kid in the 2000’s because from what I heard from kids of the 90’s, going from that period to being a teen or young adult in the 2000’s was absolutely dreadful and boring except for 2000-2003. Now I think anyone would rather be a teen or young adult in the 90’s than both decades. I think witnessing the rise of the social media era and how far the gaming industry has gone with the graphics and online play has been pretty fun to experience throughout the late 00’s and 10’s. The rise of streaming services and Netflix was one of my favorite highlights of this decade as well. I wish I could explain more but I’m on my phone right now.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/20 at 12:03 pm

That award goes to Reddit. I hate Reddit.

Written By: imrane on 01/07/20 at 12:12 pm

For music/pop culture I hate the second half of 2014-2019. 2010-2013 were wonderful! :) Late 2014 and 2015 have some gems though which 2016-2019 had less of for me.

For politics in Europe I hate late 2014-2019 (because the Paris attacks of 2014 started all the anti-Muslim negativity and painting all Muslims as bad terrorists. On the other hand the migrant crisis was not handled well enough by Europe and many of these people wouldn't be in a hostile place with worse climate and unwelcoming people were it not for the meddling of the West in the ME).

For politics in the US I hate 2016-present because Trump. The only bad thing in the early 2010's was that the Arab spring didn't result in good changes everywhere and in fact some countries are now worse off and that failure largely resulted in the migrant crisis that Europe failed to integrate. Lately Trump totally messed the issues in the ME.

Written By: wixness on 01/07/20 at 12:24 pm

Reddit as of recent is more liberal - the longest time I've been on Reddit, it was less so, probably since around or some time after Ellen Pao's firing and with the redesign did things start to change. I've heard people complain on Twitter about its awful policies, even deeming Jack, its CEO, to be complacent with white supremacy.

Let me just respond to the topic or question of this thread. In the grand scheme of things, the 2010’s wasn’t that bad a decade at all. On this site it’s an overreaction and exaggeration. It definitely wasn’t a good decade politically and worldly, but pop culturally it was pretty decent. I’d rather be a teen or young adult in the 2010’s than the 2000’s. Thankfully I was a kid in the 2000’s because from what I heard from kids of the 90’s, going from that period to being a teen or young adult in the 2000’s was absolutely dreadful and boring except for 2000-2003. Now I think anyone would rather be a teen or young adult in the 90’s than both decades. I think witnessing the rise of the social media era and how far the gaming industry has gone with the graphics and online play has been pretty fun to experience throughout the late 00’s and 10’s. The rise of streaming services and Netflix was one of my favorite highlights of this decade as well. I wish I could explain more but I’m on my phone right now.

I'd rather be an older teen or young adult in the early 2010s because I think that was the last time pop culture came to be my taste I believe, at least fashion and music. I probably only like the 2010s culturally because of the technology we have, which helps to give some of the games we have.

Written By: 2001 on 01/07/20 at 12:24 pm

Twitter is what you make of it. I signed up to it back in 2008 to keep in touch with people who followed a language-learning blog/forum. Since then I've started following more techies too. For me Twitter is very intellectually enriching. If you follow celebrities and politicians then yeah it's gonna be a mind-numbing experiences.

Written By: 2001 on 01/07/20 at 12:26 pm

Reddit as of recent is more liberal - the longest time I've been on Reddit, it was less so, probably since around or some time after Ellen Pao's firing and with the redesign did things start to change. I've heard people complain on Twitter about its awful policies, even deeming Jack, its CEO, to be complacent with white supremacy.I'd rather be an older teen or young adult in the early 2010s because I think that was the last time pop culture came to be my taste I believe, at least fashion and music. I probably only like the 2010s culturally because of the technology we have, which helps to give some of the games we have.

That's true, Reddit used to be a lot more right wing. Since Trump or maybe the 2017 race riot in Virginia it has been less so. I remember it as the ground zero for Ron Paul fans back in 2008.

Written By: 2001 on 01/07/20 at 12:36 pm

I felt like such a Boomer using that website, it took me a long time to figure out how to use it. Was there supposed to be so many memes and low-tier pun jokes?? Where are the more thoughtful long posts? Well eventually I figured out that yes, that's how it's supposed to look like.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/07/20 at 1:11 pm

I understand your opinion, but Twitter still wins it for me just because of the rampant K-pop video spamming, cancel culture, and hostile PCness/wokeness.

Written By: wixness on 01/07/20 at 1:23 pm

I understand your opinion, but Twitter still wins it for me just because of the rampant K-pop video spamming, cancel culture, and hostile PCness/wokeness.
I simply don't like the 2010s aesthetic. What don't you lke about the cancel culture and hostile PCness/wokeness? I think it's valid especially when you have like people who get away with pedophilia and child sex abuse, or just sex abuse in general regardless of whom it's directed to.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/07/20 at 1:33 pm

I simply don't like the 2010s aesthetic. What don't you lke about the cancel culture and hostile PCness/wokeness? I think it's valid especially when you have like people who get away with pedophilia and child sex abuse, or just sex abuse in general regardless of whom it's directed to.

I get the "calling out pedophiles/sex abusers" part, but what I mean is the overall behavior from some Twitter users. Sometimes, I see the "#____is over party" tags trending all because of something someone said in the past. For example, Lil Nas X was accused of islamophobia from his old Instagram account (@nasmaraj) with no substantiated evidence. Hell, he even memed about it. https://twitter.com/lilnasx/status/1142819850533793792?lang=en

Written By: Howard on 01/07/20 at 2:36 pm

And all they do is argue on it.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/20 at 4:32 pm

Some people on the internet are just crazy.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/07/20 at 5:57 pm

Honestly I think both Twitter and Reddit can be very toxic in different ways. Reddit has so many different sub forums of people with different opinions and can be hostile on one another. On Twitter you have so many troll accounts and so many opinionated folks on there as well who get into intense arguments. Like I said before, every person in every major industry has a Twitter account and has to deal with everything out there. While Facebook is well past its prime, I think Facebook is a pretty good community because you only add people on there who you know in your personal life and the Facebook groups are less toxic and more of a community type vibe. It used to be only teens & young adults on Facebook, now people of all ages (but mainly older adults) use Facebook so its a bit more grounded there. Facebook can still be bad at times, but definitely not as bad as Twitter. Instagram, well..... about that...... Instagram... yeah..... I don't want to say it on this site lol. Still not the most toxic tho.

Written By: man 2000 on 01/08/20 at 12:10 am

please get some help

I don't need any help.

People can voice their opinions if they want to.

I do know that a lot of people do hate the 2010s and that is the fact.

Too bad the 2010s couldn't have been a good decade, it really didn't stand out to me as being good like the past decades before it.

2012 didn't seem like a good year at all, and 2013-2015 were more hit years then they were a miss.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/20 at 12:13 am

I don't need any help.

People can voice their opinions if they want to.

I do know that a lot of people do hate the 2010s and that is the fact.

Too bad the 2010s couldn't have been a good decade, it really didn't stand out to me as being good like the past decades before it.

2012 didn't seem like a good year at all, and 2013-2015 were more hit years then they were a miss.

I liked 2013 - 2015 a lot. But overall the decade sucked I agree with you on that. And it's not as if 2013 - 2015 were as good as the 2000s. 2013 was my favourite year by far in this decade.

Written By: man 2000 on 01/08/20 at 12:30 am

I liked 2013 - 2015 a lot. But overall the decade sucked I agree with you on that. And it's not as if 2013 - 2015 were as good as the 2000s. 2013 was my favourite year by far in this decade.

2010 was like the only year i did enjoy and like. The rest of the decade sucked and didn't stand out to be a good decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/20 at 12:39 am

2010 was like the only year i did enjoy and like. The rest of the decade sucked and didn't stand out to be a good decade.

I didn't like 2010 personally. Better than 2011 and 2012 but still not a great year. The recession and bad music and fashion didn't help.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/08/20 at 2:37 am

I think its bc a lot of the people on here grew up as children during the late 2000’s/2010’s. There’s a lot of people who were born in the 2000’s on this site. Back in 2005 site was filled with late 80’s babies complaining about the 2000’s. The 2010’s was a depressing decade for me from start to finish. 2010-2012 were decent but anything after was not the best for my personal life. Pop culture was not the best. Some things were good and somethings I’d like to forget about

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/20 at 6:09 am

I didn't like 2010 personally. Better than 2011 and 2012 but still not a great year. The recession and bad music and fashion didn't help.

You hate my 2010 fashion? Wow. My orange shoes and neon blue hoodie are unhateable.

Written By: imrane on 01/08/20 at 10:25 am

Ditto. I loved 2013 and liked 2014. 2015 had many gems.

And about Reddit, people are very rude there. But those on Fb are rude and bullying, too.

Written By: MikeyYankeeMan99 on 01/08/20 at 3:16 pm

Personally I don't like the 2010s because I had an uncomfortable experience myself as I barely had any friends and my grandpa and father both died within the span of 2 years. I was starting to become nostalgic about my childhood by the time I was 14 since I was much happier back then.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/20 at 3:34 pm

Some people on the internet are just crazy.

And they have nothing better to do than to just argue over petty things! ::)

Written By: imrane on 01/08/20 at 11:31 pm

I don't know why but Twitter never got big in my country, people use Fb, Messenger, Viber and Instagram mostly. Our politicians  use Facebook posts the same way Trump uses Twitter.

It's strange this preference for Fb. When I was living abroad Snapchat was overtaking it with teens and young adults there but over here it's still Facebook and Messenger. ;D I personally find Twitter better but almost no fellow country people there.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/09/20 at 11:05 am

We are starting to get old and grumpy as hell.  We hate everything new.  This was the decade I broke my spine in 12 places.

Written By: man 2000 on 01/16/20 at 2:49 am

Personally I don't like the 2010s because I had an uncomfortable experience myself as I barely had any friends and my grandpa and father both died within the span of 2 years. I was starting to become nostalgic about my childhood by the time I was 14 since I was much happier back then.

I agree. The 2010s were a very depressing and dark decade, i didn't like the decade at all due to very bad personal issues i went through.

I remember how good my life was when i was a 13 year old, i feel a little more happier in the old days.

Written By: Mascot on 01/17/20 at 5:04 pm

I just found the decade somewhat boring pop culturally. Lot of things started feeling politically charged which got tiring really fast. The overuse of minimalism made a ton of designs and fashions look boring. Pop music mostly seemed to consist of Trap music or some EDM infused Alt-R&B. Never liked Hipster culture. Can't seem to go on the internet for 10 minutes without hearing about some social media uproar over a trivial/superficial issue. Video games all becoming these samey service titles that transforms gaming from a simple time waster into a time investment on top of the already disgusting micro-transaction rush. The over obsession with Nostalgia within every aspect of pop culture - blah blah blah

I'd go into these further, but that'd just create a long post that no one here would read.

The 2010s is a decade I have no liking towards outside of a few things. Animation wise I thought the 2010s was a nice time with TV animation breaking ground and Movie animation reaching new heights. We were able to recover from the great recession economically which was nice. And personally speaking I've felt that mentally I've grown much stronger and aware.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/18/20 at 3:46 pm

I just found the decade somewhat boring pop culturally. Lot of things started feeling politically charged which got tiring really fast. The overuse of minimalism made a ton of designs and fashions look boring. Pop music mostly seemed to consist of Trap music or some EDM infused Alt-R&B. Never liked Hipster culture. Can't seem to go on the internet for 10 minutes without hearing about some social media uproar over a trivial/superficial issue. Video games all becoming these samey service titles that transforms gaming from a simple time waster into a time investment on top of the already disgusting micro-transaction rush. The over obsession with Nostalgia within every aspect of pop culture - blah blah blah

I'd go into these further, but that'd just create a long post that no one here would read.

The 2010s is a decade I have no liking towards outside of a few things. Animation wise I thought the 2010s was a nice time with TV animation breaking ground and Movie animation reaching new heights. We were able to recover from the great recession economically which was nice. And personally speaking I've felt that mentally I've grown much stronger and aware.

Microtransactions and lootboxes/gachas are the WORST.

Written By: imrane on 01/19/20 at 7:35 am

What about microagressions?
I think by 2015-2016 the left was starting to focus too much on some issues (microagressions, mansplaining which istself is a sexist term) while avoiding the abuse of big corporations on workers, buying out smaller companies that have a superior product (like MS buying Skype and Symantec buying K9 Web Protection), people working too much in America and having too little vacation time, the opressiveness of open office layouts etc.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/19/20 at 9:02 am

I think by 2015-2016 the left was starting to focus too much on some issues (microagressions, mansplaining which istself is a sexist term) while avoiding the abuse of big corporations on workers, buying out smaller companies that have a superior product (like MS buying Skype and Symantec buying K9 Web Protection), people working too much in America and having too little vacation time, the opressiveness of open office layouts etc.

What is “mansplaining”? ???

Written By: wixness on 01/19/20 at 10:11 am

I just think that it's a bit obvious that capitalist exploitation is a problem to many people and that those things are less obvious. Granted, there are some though who think that capitalism is alright, almost to dangerously accepting levels.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/19/20 at 12:25 pm

What is “mansplaining”? ???

An explanation of something by a man that is considered patronizing or condescending. I find the term to be extremely stupid, because at most times, radical feminists use the term to silence men's opinions on any subject matter.  >:(

Written By: imrane on 01/19/20 at 2:33 pm

I think open floor office layouts need to go. Time to embrace working at home and rooms for 4-10 people max!

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/19/20 at 10:05 pm

I sort of have rose tinted glasses over the early half of the decade because of personal reasons, but everything after 2015 went downhill ever since.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/20 at 10:52 am

I sort of have rose tinted glasses over the early half of the decade because of personal reasons, but everything after 2015 went downhill ever since.

That would be me as well. I feel like the world got scarier after 2015. But also I was in university 2011-2015 so I might have rose-coloured glasses on. I try to keep things in perspective.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/20/20 at 10:55 am

There is no creativity these days. There is nothing positive nor of quality in pop culture these days. Things just got even more horrible and suck even more than it did now. I kind of feel bad complaining about the pop culture back in 2015. I didn't know how good we had it back then.

Written By: wixness on 01/20/20 at 11:46 am

There is no creativity these days. There is nothing positive nor of quality in pop culture these days. Things just got even more horrible and suck even more than it did now. I kind of feel bad complaining about the pop culture back in 2015. I didn't know how good we had it back then.
This world's been falling apart since 9/11 or the 1980s. Since I don't know of a world before either those times, I can only say it's gone bad since the recession and I don't think it's even finished. If it were, twentysomethings wouldn't be living with their parents if they could choose to.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/20/20 at 1:06 pm

This world's been falling apart since 9/11 or the 1980s. Since I don't know of a world before either those times, I can only say it's gone bad since the recession and I don't think it's even finished. If it were, twentysomethings wouldn't be living with their parents if they could choose to.

9/11 is more American based and tbh I don’t feel like it had much  effect in a place like Brazil for an example. I have some memories before 9/11 and of course memories of it and after it. I was a child so I didn’t pay attention to it. Now the recession is when things really went to s*it. That was a global thing that affected most countries. I was in middle school back then and for some reason although the economy has recovered (in some ways), things haven’t been the same since. Stores like Tower Records, Sam Goody, Blockbuster, Toys R Us, etc all started going downhill (bankrupt) during and after the recession..

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/20 at 1:33 pm

If I was mod you would be banned until you get Spotify ;D

Written By: wixness on 01/20/20 at 1:47 pm

If I was mod you would be banned until you get Spotify ;D
Or let him use other mediums such as Bandcamp and Qobuz too. They offer some great music that users can keep. Thing is, I reckon at least politically, economically and in some parts of the world, socially, the world's just gone down the toilet.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/20 at 1:48 pm

Or let him use other mediums such as Bandcamp and Qobuz too. They offer some great music that users can keep. Thing is, I reckon at least politically, economically and in some parts of the world, socially, the world's just gone down the toilet.

Do those have good music-recommending AI? ???

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/20/20 at 1:55 pm

That would be me as well. I feel like the world got scarier after 2015. But also I was in university 2011-2015 so I might have rose-coloured glasses on. I try to keep things in perspective.

I kinda see what you mean. But keep in mind, that "90s kid" Youtube ranters were saying the same thing about post-911/post-2004/post-2007 etc.

When 2011 was new, people were being very cynical over the pop culture, society, and economy of the time (at least in the U.S.). Perhaps it's a case of "You don't appreciate what you have till it's gone".

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/20 at 2:00 pm

I kinda see what you mean. But keep in mind, that "90s kid" Youtube ranters were saying the same thing about post-911/post-2004/post-2007 etc.

When 2011 was new, people were being very cynical over the pop culture and economy of the time (at least in the U.S.). Perhaps it's a case of "You don't appreciate what you have till it's gone".

In my case though, I loved it as it was ongoing. As you probably remember, I was the author of the thread "Why the 2010s are the greatest decade ever". I made that thread in January 2016 ;D :-\\

I don't want to pretend I'm the master of objectivity though. My age definitely had a role to play on why I loved the early-mid 2010s. Also I feel like this forum makes me more negative. Ironically, most people here are less knowledgeable about 2010s pop culture than people I know in real life. :P

Written By: wixness on 01/20/20 at 2:01 pm

Do those have good music-recommending AI? ???
I doubt it. I'd still rather people were able to keep the music they loved than let companies people pay lose the music they loved. Letting the latter happen just makes music more into a commodity.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/20/20 at 2:18 pm

When 2011 was new, people were being very cynical over the pop culture, society, and economy of the time (at least in the U.S.). Perhaps it's a case of "You don't appreciate what you have till it's gone".

But the thing is, 2011 pop culture did suck... And it still sucks... So it was perfectly reasonable to be cynical at the time. Now as for 2016, I was cynical that year but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as today so I really shouldn't have complained haha. Looking back 2016 was one of the better years of the 2010s, probably the fourth best year of the decade pop-culture wise which is not bad at all especially considering it was a cultural late 2010s year. 2016 and early 2017 (early '17 even better because some of the last quality mainstream songs came out then) were still solid pop culturally despite being part of the dreaded late 2010s era. For that reason partly, the early 2010s (besides 2013) were worse than the late 2010s. But neither were as good as the mid 2010s. And even though 2013 was still part of the early 2010s culturally predominately, it was still the greatest year of the 2010s by far.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/20 at 3:20 pm

Want to jump into a time machine?

Written By: man 2000 on 01/21/20 at 3:14 am

While no decade is perfect, the 2010s were one of the worst decades in history, it was one of those decades were things just keep getting worst and worst.

It would be great to build a time machine and start all over again.

I know that won't happen.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/21/20 at 1:49 pm

As a 34 year old in comparison to us folks in their 20's who believe all of the 2010's are completely bad (I don't), how did you TRULY feel about the 2000's decade as it was going on being a decade removed from the (wonderful la-la-la) 90's? I'd like Machine-Head's opinion on this as well. It'll be easy for you guys to reminisce 2000-2003, but I'm talking about how you truly felt about post-2003 or 2004-2009.

Written By: wixness on 01/21/20 at 9:02 pm

As a 34 year old in comparison to us folks in their 20's who believe all of the 2010's are completely bad (I don't), how did you TRULY feel about the 2000's decade as it was going on being a decade removed from the (wonderful la-la-la) 90's? I'd like Machine-Head's opinion on this as well. It'll be easy for you guys to reminisce 2000-2003, but I'm talking about how you truly felt about post-2003 or 2004-2009.
I actually hated the 2000s because it wasn't gender non-conforming enough. However, I hate the 2010s more and have come to like the 2000s because the sense of aesthetic, music and fashion just suck in the 2010s - it's especially disappointing when it's been the decade of better LGBT+ acceptance compared to the 2000s when especially men dress in a highly gender conforming manner.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/21/20 at 11:01 pm

I actually hated the 2000s because it wasn't gender non-conforming enough. However, I hate the 2010s more and have come to like the 2000s because the sense of aesthetic, music and fashion just suck in the 2010s - it's especially disappointing when it's been the decade of better LGBT+ acceptance compared to the 2000s when especially men dress in a highly gender conforming manner.

Yep. Key words in bold.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/17/20 at 8:42 am

For me, it was my personal life. It was a decade I learned not to trust people too easily and open up to
people too quickly!

People aren't all bad,.....but they aren't all good either. Unfortunately, some of those people were my blood. I'm not clarifying who exactly, but it hurt me a lot to see some of them treat me in such a way.

As for my career or school goals, I pretty much had to do a 'flushing' or 'burning' of the past because I realized that holding on to the past was blocking my progress in life.       

Written By: imrane on 02/17/20 at 9:44 am

^ditto here. Also not mad about the 2016-2020 culture. At least 2015 had some 2013/14 holdover trends.

Mind you I might have felt bad at the time in my personal life (like in 2007-2012), but with time I like that era due to the culture. It really helped in escaping your troubles. Now pop culture is depressing. And 2013/2014 was a happy time in my personal life as well.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/17/20 at 12:33 pm

Culturally, we're still in the late 2010s with things like atmospheric/trap beats on pop songs and social media memes on Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok. 2020 is essentially the year 1990 of the 21st century.

Written By: mc98 on 02/17/20 at 12:36 pm

Culturally, we're still in the late 2010s with things like atmospheric/trap beats on pop songs and social media memes on Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok. 2020 is essentially the year 1990 of the 21st century.

I mean, it is still the beginning of the year. Things could change throughout the course of the year. Remember, we never knew that Old Town Road took over 2019 when we were in early 2019.

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/20 at 1:36 pm

No one knew what TikTok was 2010-2018, so I would say it's a 2020s trend, unless it dies out soon.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/17/20 at 1:56 pm

I mean, it is still in the beginning of the year. Things could change throughout the course of the year. Remember, we never knew that Old Town Road took over 2019 when we were in early 2019.

Facts. I guess I'm eager what the new culture-defining sound or trend will be that distinguishes the late 2010s.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/17/20 at 2:57 pm

No one knew what TikTok was 2010-2018, so I would say it's a 2020s trend, unless it dies out soon.

TikTok's also definitely a part of peak late 2010s culture.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 11/24/20 at 8:59 am

I asked one of the few guys, in real life, that I found attractive out on a date, when I still saw them in public. They weren't gay, though.

Just saying this because it happened in October of 2020, and if you thought one of the "you problem"s was between me and Grindr, in 2018, because I could not bring myself to ask someone in real life out, you'd have been wrong.

Written By: 2001 on 11/24/20 at 9:56 am

I asked one of the few guys, in real life, that I found attractive out on a date, when I still saw them in public. They weren't gay, though.

Just saying this because it happened in October of 2020, and if you thought one of the "you problem"s was between me and Grindr, in 2018, because I could not bring myself to ask someone in real life out, you'd have been wrong.

Wow, you are brave for asking a straight dude out lol.

I wasn't thinking about any individual in particular when making that post though, I agree Grindr is toxic.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 11/24/20 at 10:16 am

Wow, you are brave for asking a straight dude out lol.

I wasn't thinking about any individual in particular when making that post though, I agree Grindr is toxic.

I see.

Written By: CarCar on 11/27/20 at 8:18 pm

I heard a lot of people on this site like to bash the 2010s. In my opinion, I think the 2010s are an OK decade for me. Why there’s so much hatred for the 2010s on this site compared to the other decades?

1). It’s recent

2). Everybody in here lived through the decade and don’t have the rose colored glasses they have for other decades

3). Lots of people on here probably came of age in the 2010s, and are more critical towards the pop culture since it was aimed at they’re demographic.

Written By: CarCar on 11/27/20 at 8:20 pm

-90’s or 2000’s kid
-Low self-esteem
-Overly nostalgic

Only logical explanation tbh.

They’re people really stuck on the past, and they keep comparing it to past decades

Also I assume most are in they’re 20s and aren’t navigating it well enough and peaked when they were 12 years old lol

Subject: Why so many people on this site hate the 2010s?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/29/20 at 2:32 am

I heard a lot of people on this site like to bash the 2010s. In my opinion, I think the 2010s are an OK decade for me.

Everything after the 90s has gotton crappier and crappier,thats why we hate it!

Written By: wixness on 11/29/20 at 9:53 am

-90’s or 2000’s kid
-Low self-esteem
-Overly nostalgic

Even if I found new music I liked, they tend to be only on streaming services. Even if you throw $10 a month to either even use it or keep your favorite music offline, that's still not a guarantee. Before streaming services were hot, you'd lose your favorite music to a fire or burglary. This is much worse with films and TV shows on Netflix and similar.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/29/20 at 10:14 am

Even if I found new music I liked, they tend to be only on streaming services. Even if you throw $10 a month to either even use it or keep your favorite music offline, that's still not a guarantee. Before streaming services were hot, you'd lose your favorite music to a fire or burglary. This is much worse with films and TV shows on Netflix and similar.

Yes, with streaming ALL CONTROL lies elsewhere with the masters pulling the strings. They giveth and taketh away. It's VERY dystopian. All the poor dears who sacrifice everything at the altar of convenience are so blinded by it they don't notice. Look up "bread and circuses".  You are one of the few young people speaking out against this.

Written By: Wink-182 on 11/29/20 at 1:14 pm

Probably because it's still modern and recent in their minds, and it is pretty recent, we're in the latter half of 2020, the first year of the 20s. It honestly wasn't honestly that bad of a decade, I did enjoy the earlier half of it and all the way up to 2016. Remembering when hoverboards were all the rage and fidget spinners. EDM everywhere in the beginning.  Probably ten years from now we'll probably see more warmness towards it, if I had to make a guess.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/30/20 at 1:37 am

Well the pop culture from the decade was pretty unredeemable for one. There was also a noticeably rising sense of superficialness and materialism in the 2010s, probably a result from the mobile tech and social media boom. It was also the decade where music came to a point unoriginality. Trap came into fruition in the 2010s which completely ruined the hopes for rap music by true Hip Hop fans during this decade. A lot of the youth became very lazy and fake. The massive enhancements in tech caused a negative effect on the brains of the younger generation during the decade. Everything just felt like it was turning dark and getting into an apocalyptical vibe throughout the entire decade. 

Written By: CarCar on 01/14/21 at 12:21 am

-90’s or 2000’s kid
-Low self-esteem
-Overly nostalgic

You just described a certain user on here

Written By: passthegabagool on 01/14/21 at 9:29 pm

Seems that in January 2021 people are already starting to go out and buy those rose tinted glasses for the 2010s... Socially distanced and wearing a mask of course.

You now see videos like this pop up on YouTube...
Hi16jBqCz4Q

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/09/21 at 8:58 am

- Awful music all throughout the decade. Earsore EDM and electropop in the first half and Extremely dull slow indie pop with terrible production elements in the middle years and crappy trap and mumble rap in the last few years. Rock, Metal and RnB is extinct.

- Everything became political

- Everything feels artificial and dull because everything is digital and ultra advanced technology is everywhere.

- Youth culture is trashy

- Paintbrush hairstyles

- Internet culture became dull. Youtube used to be a lot more fun and creative back in the 00s and early 10s. Now there is no creativity, everyone posts the same unfunny, unoriginal content. Post irony humor is responsible for this as well.

- Memes got overly repetitive since about 2016. People keep rehashing the same meme format over and over. Same drake hotline bling meme, same nobody: meme, same picture with captions, etc.

- Games becoming overly cinematic

I wouldn't say its terrible tbh. Just extremely dull and boring. I mainly hate it for personal reasons.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/09/21 at 5:03 pm

- Awful music all throughout the decade. Earsore EDM and electropop in the first half and Extremely dull slow indie pop with terrible production elements in the middle years and crappy trap and mumble rap in the last few years. Rock, Metal and RnB is extinct.

- Everything became political

- Everything feels artificial and dull because everything is digital and ultra advanced technology is everywhere.

- Youth culture is trashy

- Paintbrush hairstyles

- Internet culture became dull. Youtube used to be a lot more fun and creative back in the 00s and early 10s. Now there is no creativity, everyone posts the same unfunny, unoriginal content. Post irony humor is responsible for this as well.

- Memes got overly repetitive since about 2016. People keep rehashing the same meme format over and over. Same drake hotline bling meme, same nobody: meme, same picture with captions, etc.

- Games becoming overly cinematic

I wouldn't say its terrible tbh. Just extremely dull and boring. I mainly hate it for personal reasons.

I agree on all points except for the R&B being extinct part. There was plenty of decent R&B especially in the Mid-2010's by Chris Brown, Omarion, and even Jodeci released an album.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/09/21 at 9:23 pm

Besides chris brown I cant really think of any other R and B artist in that time period of the top of my head. Who became irrelevant after like 2013/2014.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/09/21 at 9:35 pm

Besides chris brown I cant really think of any other R and B artist in that time period of the top of my head. Who became irrelevant after like 2013/2014.

I agree, R&B died around 2008. It lingered on after that of course but started dying in '08.

R&B to the 2000s is like what trap is to the 2010s.. It was everywhere.. Especially in the early 2000s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/10/21 at 7:19 am

A lot of my favorite R&B artist from the late 90's/Y2K/early 2000's released albums in the mid and even late 2010's, like Jagged Edge, Avant, Joe, Brian McKnight, Jaheim, Tank, Craig David, and Musiq Soulchild. They may have not been on the Billboard charts but they were on my Spotify.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/10/21 at 3:23 pm

I'm referring to mainstream music. Theres a lot of new songs in all genres but the mainstream music in the 10s was electropop, EDM, slow indie pop and trap/mumble rap.

Written By: CarCar on 04/25/21 at 8:39 pm

It’s 2021 and it’s safe to safe Tik tok is a 2020s thing. My little niece is I niece with that thing much to my cousins annoyance

Check for new replies or respond here...