inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cars Haven't Changed Much This Decade in Terms of Looks ...

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/20 at 1:29 am

I've noticed the change in the look of cars was super minimal this decade. I think this is because the focus was more on interior features such as Bluetooth and GPS systems being integrated inside and trying to make things more environmentally friendly and fuel efficient. But the looks of cars themselves look nearly identical to how they looked like at the start of the decade.

2010 Toyota Corolla
https://s.aolcdn.com/commerce/autodata/images/USC00TOC041A0101.jpg

2019 Toyota Corolla
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61YEgOSyinL._UY560_.jpg

Subject: Re: Cars Haven't Changed Much This Decade in Terms of Looks ...

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/20 at 1:34 am

But what a HUGE difference from '00 to '09...

2000 Toyota Corolla

https://www.cstatic-images.com/car-pictures/xl/cab00toc041c0101.png

2009 Toyota Corolla
https://s.aolcdn.com/commerce/autodata/images/CAB90TOC041A0101.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/20 at 10:47 am

I don't really pay much attention to cars but those look quite different to me. The latter almost looks like a minivan and looks a lot more energy efficient. I did notice that cars come with huge "grills" (or whatever they're supposed to be called) on the front these days. I think those are gonna age badly, in terms of looks.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/03/20 at 3:30 pm

The domestic US automakers have almost completely abandoned the passenger car market (with the exception of high-performance models) in favor of trucks and SUVs. Although I like the convenience and packaging of SUVs, I don't really like the looks of most of them. They don't really have any style. Up until the 1970's cars were a lot more stylish and they made you look and feel like you were king of the road. Now, most of them are just appliances. The features they have now are amazing and they're vastly more efficient, powerful, and reliable then they've ever been but in terms of styling they're just...meh.

I loved the cars that were around when I was a kid because they were big, proud, manly American cars.  If someone were to build an electric car that looked and drove like a 1969 Chrysler New Yorker or a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado then I'd buy one tomorrow.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/05/20 at 10:38 pm

To me looks different. 2010 looks more soft and bubbly, while 2019 looks more badass and sharp.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/05/20 at 10:48 pm

To me looks different. 2010 looks more soft and bubbly, while 2019 looks more badass and sharp.

I agree as well. Plus, touchscreen car stereos became included into more cars this decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/20 at 11:20 pm

I agree as well. Plus, touchscreen car stereos became included into more cars this decade.

Yeah the interiors got a big face lift but to me the exterior looks really, really similar almost identical like there was no real change.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 01/05/20 at 11:27 pm

Yeah, I started noticing that around 2014 I think...

Written By: mqg96 on 01/06/20 at 1:17 pm

I'm glad you made this thread Slim. If anyone knows me, you know as a kid I was really big into collecting toy cars and looking at vehicle model magazines. I used to be heavy into racing video games as well. I always keep up with the latest models of cars, trucks & SUV's and I agree with Slim. The 90's and the 2000's had huge transitions with the outward appearance of vehicle models. The 80's or 2010's on the other hand, there seem to not be much of a difference from the start to the end of the decades, however, when it comes to the inside of the vehicle such as the engine, the functions and the technology, the 2010's have had a huge transition for sure.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/06/20 at 1:41 pm

My last car was a 2009 Chevy Malibu that I bought in 2010 and I really liked the styling of it, even more so than the newer Malibus that came after it. And it was still in good condition when I traded it in last year. But what made me desire a newer car more than anything else was the electronics. Now that I've gotten used to it, I don't know how I ever lived without a backup camera or handsfree Bluetooth calling.

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/20 at 1:50 pm

Yeah the interiors got a big face lift but to me the exterior looks really, really similar almost identical like there was no real change.

Are we looking at the same car? The 2019 car doesn't even have a trunk. I'd say that's a big change :o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/06/20 at 2:39 pm

Are we looking at the same car? The 2019 car doesn't even have a trunk. I'd say that's a big change :o

Trunks are becoming more and more scarce.

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/20 at 2:41 pm

Trunks are becoming more and more scarce.

The 2020s backlash against pick up trucks ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/06/20 at 2:45 pm

The 2020s backlash against pick up trucks ;D

Not around here. I'd say at least a third of my co-workers have Ram pickups.  ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/06/20 at 6:15 pm

I think they will continue to be pretty much the same.  Reason is aerodynamics which means better fuel economy and using a smaller lighter engine, or in some cases better performance for the same amount of fuel.  There is an optimal shape for the least wind resistance, and the closer the car can approximate that shape, the more aerodynamic it will be.

I miss cars from the 80s which most were squared off, and to me had character and identity.  Seems to me in the 90s most of them started turning into lookalike jellybeans and no turning back.

Cars in the 70s and 80s used the same dies sometimes for over a decade, just changed headlights, grilles, etc.  So individual cars kept their own looks, but each brand still had its own character.  Now it's like all brands pretty much look the same, trying to stay close to the optimal shape.

I'd say easily 3/4 of my coworkers drive full size pickup trucks.  Male or female doesn't matter.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/20 at 6:30 pm

Yeah they became too boxy. I like the sleek look it had in the early 2000s even though it looks dated today the shape was nice. I think the look of cars can still change this decade they just gotta be creative.

Written By: man 2000 on 01/06/20 at 9:01 pm

I've noticed the change in the look of cars was super minimal this decade. I think this is because the focus was more on interior features such as Bluetooth and GPS systems being integrated inside and trying to make things more environmentally friendly and fuel efficient. But the looks of cars themselves look nearly identical to how they looked like at the start of the decade.

2010 Toyota Corolla
https://s.aolcdn.com/commerce/autodata/images/USC00TOC041A0101.jpg

2019 Toyota Corolla
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61YEgOSyinL._UY560_.jpg

The second car is the Corolla Hatchback which came out in early 2019, it's design look almost the same like the 2019 Corolla.

70s 80s 90s had the most badass car designs ever, heck even the early 2000s had some good car designs as well.

The 2020s cars will change it's look again and i'm pretty sure the looks for cars this decade will be different compare to the 2010s decade  and the other past decades.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/06/20 at 9:21 pm

We can do another make as a comparison.

2010 Honda Civic
https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/10/2015/11/2010-honda-civic-sedan-lx-sauto-angular-front.png?interpolation=lanczos-none&fit=around|392:261

2019 Honda Civic
https://crdms.images.consumerreports.org/c_lfill,w_720,q_auto,f_auto/prod/cars/chrome/white/2019HOC020004_1280_01

To me it looks almost the same personally

But compared the the 2000s...

2000 Honda Civic
https://bestcarmag.com/sites/default/files/2000-honda-civic-1308079-7581183.jpg

2009 Honda Civic

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71Hg0rCyGHL._UY560_.jpg

Written By: wixness on 01/06/20 at 9:26 pm

I don't really pay much attention to cars but those look quite different to me. The latter almost looks like a minivan and looks a lot more energy efficient. I did notice that cars come with huge "grills" (or whatever they're supposed to be called) on the front these days. I think those are gonna age badly, in terms of looks.
Seconded. I think they're ugly. Glad we're moving more to electric cars, hybrid cars or other forms of transportation, because I don't really like seeing them.

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/20 at 11:17 pm

Neat coincidence that as this thread was made, Sony entered the car industry with an electric car. I'm excited to see EVs drop in price over the decade. :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/07/20 at 1:02 am

Neat coincidence that as this thread was made, Sony entered the car industry with an electric car. I'm excited to see EVs drop in price over the decade. :D
I don't know if a price drop will be enough to turn the public away from ICE vehicles and towards EV's. There will also need to be a breakthrough in battery technology so they can get the average range up to at least 500 miles, as well as a vast increase in the number of superchargers, particularly in rural areas. In other words, EV's will have to be at least as, if not more, convenient than ICE vehicles before they can truly compete with them.

Now, my electric car pipe dream is that they make a battery that is so powerful (1000 mile + range) that aerodynamics are no longer necessary and they can make huge electric land yachts that resemble the full-size American cars of the 1960's and 70's that I loved so much growing up.

And since, thanks to Sony, we're naming them after appliances now, I think "Zenith" would be an awesome old-school brand for a retro-styled electric car. 

Just imagine this logo on the front of a massive 5000 lb whale of an electric convertible land yacht with a hood so long that you can land an F/A-18 on it. It would be glorious. I would buy one tomorrow.  8)
https://brandslogo.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/zenith-eps-vector-logo.png

Written By: Dundee on 01/07/20 at 9:59 am

I'm sure your post was meant to be you exaggerating how little has changed 10-19 and how much 00-09 as per usual. But funny part is that in this case I find the 10-19 comparison almost like night and day, normal bubbly car vs Transformers vehicle with super harsh edges :o While 00-09 is basically the same or a very similar built but cleaner and slightly rounder.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/07/20 at 11:36 am

I don't know if a price drop will be enough to turn the public away from ICE vehicles and towards EV's. There will also need to be a breakthrough in battery technology so they can get the average range up to at least 500 miles, as well as a vast increase in the number of superchargers, particularly in rural areas. In other words, EV's will have to be at least as, if not more, convenient than ICE vehicles before they can truly compete with them.

Now, my electric car pipe dream is that they make a battery that is so powerful (1000 mile + range) that aerodynamics are no longer necessary and they can make huge electric land yachts that resemble the full-size American cars of the 1960's and 70's that I loved so much growing up.

And since, thanks to Sony, we're naming them after appliances now, I think "Zenith" would be an awesome old-school brand for a retro-styled electric car. 

Just imagine this logo on the front of a massive 5000 lb whale of an electric convertible land yacht with a hood so long that you can land an F/A-18 on it. It would be glorious. I would buy one tomorrow.  8)
https://brandslogo.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/zenith-eps-vector-logo.png

Zenith, I like that.

I'd buy one even with a couple hundred mile range, if they could be charged in a similar amount of time as a gas station visit (even up to like 15 minutes), and the infrastructure was there where I could do that at pretty much any gas station.  A slow charge option at home would be nice too.  I'm thinking some supercapacitor type battery and I'm sure the technology is coming.

Check for new replies or respond here...