inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Good Stuff About The 2010s...

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/20 at 2:39 am

I know this will shock a lot of people that I would put "good" and "2010s" in the same sentence. But even though on the whole I think this decade really sucked, believe it or not there are positive aspects of this decade I enjoyed or at the least, didn't mind. Let me list them.

Social Media
Social media has led to so many opportunities and opened up so many doors. For creators, business owners, artists, etc. social media is a blessing. Social media has opened up so many job opportunities too. It has also opened up doors for musicians to get their music out there. It also helps people who have trouble socializing in real life make friends online (though it's not encouraged to replace real-life interaction with online only of course, at least it's a crutch or a stepping stone for those who have crippling social anxiety). It has led to easily being able to contact your friends or relatives from overseas online and keep in contact with them. Gone are the days needing to pay for long-distance calling. Social media has just led to so many good opportunities. We all know the negative aspects of social media, I don't need to list them here because we're all aware of it and those things are indeed bad. But in my humble opinion the good that came from social media outweighs the bad. Now I know social media was around in the 2000s but it wasn't as widespread as today with multiple streaming apps as well as larger audiences on YouTube and Facebook and other places. So perhaps this decade doesn't even deserve to get the credit for social media's growth as it was birthed in the '00s but I'll list it on here anyway.

Technology
There were some really good technological advancements this decade especially in the mid 2010s. The mid 2010s was like the technological growth spurt of the decade. Cool gadgets like VR headsets, smartwatches, and advanced features to smartphones were really cool. It is very nice being able to have a good camera, the internet, a phone, a gaming device, and music player all in one device in your pocket. Smartphones have come a long way in the 2010s.

SOME Music
As you all know I think the majority of music sucked in the 2010s, especially the early 2010s. But there were some mainstream songs that I liked. Oddly enough, the teen pop boppers that came out in the mid 2010s were quite good and catchy. Some of the EDM hits that came out around the early years of the late 2010s were really good and memorable too. The disco funk throwback songs were awesome, most of the credit goes to Bruno Mars for that one. But Pharell as well had some good songs like those. Macklemore's songs were really good too and changed the way music was usually done. Some songs were just plain catchy even though the content of them were silly like songs by Robin Thicke. Some of Eminem's songs that came out were good too. And let's not forget the non-mainstream music scene! Non-mainstream music was VERY good this decade. Again you can have social media to thank for finding good underground artists. For most of the decade, Hopsin's music was awesome (besides the last few years). And you had some other good underground rappers too. So even though when you take the entire picture overall you can say 2010s music sucked, if you looked hard enough, you could find some really good music and songs here and there from the 2010s no doubt!

Fads
There were some fads from this decade I did not mind even though they seemed dumb to many people. For example, fidget spinners (from 2017)... I don't mind those things. Those were pretty fun and will be remembered as a classic 2010s fad for years to come. Pokemon Go (from 2016). I liked the concept and the fact people were meeting up together in their communities and going outside together. And SOME memes from this decade were not so bad and some were dare I say it downright funny.

If it wasn't for GoT finale and The Last Jedi... I would have put "some" TV and movies on here but they got ruined for me for that reason so TV and Movies officially SUCKED this decade. There are NO redeeming qualities this decade when it comes to TV and Movies.... Sad, but they had to screw everything up. They need better and more creative directors/producers...

And everything else sucked.  ;D

Subject: Re: Good Stuff About The 2010s...

Written By: imrane on 01/08/20 at 10:27 am

I miss RSS. Twitter got too political, Instagram too fake/sponcored, Facebook and Reddit too toxic.

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/20 at 10:34 am

I miss RSS. Twitter got too political, Instagram too fake/sponcored, Facebook and Reddit too toxic.

Forget Vine and the other useless crap, Google Reader was the most tragic loss of the 2010s.  :\'(

Written By: Sman12 on 01/08/20 at 11:31 am

Forget Vine and the other useless crap, Google Reader was the most tragic loss of the 2010s.  :\'(

The shutdown of Wii Shop Channel was also tragic.  :\'(

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/08/20 at 1:40 pm

I could pinpoint some good thingies from the 10’s

Wait. Can you believe this site is called inthe00s and now we are already inthe20s??  Time is flying by so fast!!

Anyway, Lada Gagy and Katy Perry.  Both arose to fame in 2012 and had their biggest hits that year.

Dolly Parton launched Dollywood.

Movies such as Gravity... how could that have come out in the first half of a decade that is now over? My mind is blown.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/10/20 at 2:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zAThXFOy2c

Written By: imrane on 01/11/20 at 6:52 am

Everything from 2010 to early 2014 was good for me. Movies, TV, music, pop culture, architecture, fashion, cars - prefer them to late 2010s and today!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/20 at 8:15 am

Everything from 2010 to early 2014 was good for me. Movies, TV, music, pop culture, architecture, fashion, cars - prefer them to late 2010s and today!
...it all went downhill when "Frozen" was released in December 2013?  ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 01/11/20 at 10:44 am

Here are the reasons why the 2010s will hold a special place in my heart.

The memes. From Trollface to Ragecomics to Doge to MLG to Pepe to Deep Fried to Earrape to Nobody: No One: Not even a soul:. They ruled the Internet this decade and I loved them all. 

Cryptocurrency. Easily one of the greatest things created by man. Cryptocurrencies are digital forms of money that are run by decentralized, peer-to-peer networks that isn't tracked by local or national banks. You can transfer funds (like Bitcoin) to another person through a public database called the blockchain and the transaction will remain private and encrypted because of it. You can also store your currencies (with a strong digital wallet, of course) for a time being until the value of the currency increases. Unfortunately, Bitcoin and Ethereum costs WAY more nowadays, but it just goes to show you how much progress we're going towards a cashless society.

Streaming services and online distribution. Streaming services just make things more easier to access. You can listen to music (Spotify, Apple Music, etc.) at your own leisure and watch movies and TV (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) whenever you want through a usually small fee. You can also play games digitally through services like Steam, Nintendo eShop, and Microsoft Store. There's no more need to physically buy games in retail stores (which is one of the reasons why GameStop is losing money every year).

Finally, smartphones and social media. Despite social media's several flaws like the easy addiction to it and warping reality to impressionable young people, it's a mainstay component in society for easily connecting to people from places that are far away and enabling people to socialize through chatting or video sharing. Smartphones pretty much have the same problems like social media (like addiction and less physical socialization), but they're also conveniently small supercomputers that help you get a ride through apps like Uber, find out what the weather's like, play games on the go, and amongst other useful things.

:)

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/12/20 at 10:26 am

When Spore Galactic Adventures was still online, some of the adventures I played by other users in 2010-11 were truly remarkable.

Written By: wixness on 01/12/20 at 10:52 am

Here are the reasons why the 2010s will hold a special place in my heart.

The memes. From Trollface to Ragecomics to Doge to MLG to Pepe to Deep Fried to Earrape to Nobody: No One: Not even a soul:. They ruled the Internet this decade and I loved them all. 

Cryptocurrency. Easily one of the greatest things created by man. Cryptocurrencies are digital forms of money that are run by decentralized, peer-to-peer networks that isn't tracked by local or national banks. You can transfer funds (like Bitcoin) to another person through a public database called the blockchain and the transaction will remain private and encrypted because of it. You can also store your currencies (with a strong digital wallet, of course) for a time being until the value of the currency increases. Unfortunately, Bitcoin and Ethereum costs WAY more nowadays, but it just goes to show you how much progress we're going towards a cashless society.

Streaming services and online distribution. Streaming services just make things more easier to access. You can listen to music (Spotify, Apple Music, etc.) at your own leisure and watch movies and TV (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) whenever you want through a usually small fee. You can also play games digitally through services like Steam, Nintendo eShop, and Microsoft Store. There's no more need to physically buy games in retail stores (which is one of the reasons why GameStop is losing money every year).

Finally, smartphones and social media. Despite social media's several flaws like the easy addiction to it and warping reality to impressionable young people, it's a mainstay component in society for easily connecting to people from places that are far away and enabling people to socialize through chatting or video sharing. Smartphones pretty much have the same problems like social media (like addiction and less physical socialization), but they're also conveniently small supercomputers that help you get a ride through apps like Uber, find out what the weather's like, play games on the go, and amongst other useful things.

:)
It would be great if DRM-locked streaming services weren't out to replace digital downloads and actually being able to keep one's music. You're essentially paying companies to lose music for you because they can take it down if they want. If you get music to keep, then at least it's only your fault for losing it.
The memes, some are distinctly 2010s and I'm not sure if I want to get on board with some of them.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/13/20 at 2:02 pm

So far I hate everything posted here

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/13/20 at 2:08 pm

It’s more socially acceptable to be openly gay, and same-sex marriage has advanced throughout the developed world. In 2010, only 7 European countries recognised same-sex marriage - Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Portugal. Now, 16 do - with Denmark, France, the UK, Ireland, Luxembourg, Germany, Finland, Malta and Austria joining the first 7.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/13/20 at 2:09 pm

It’s more socially acceptable to be openly gay, and same-sex marriage has advanced throughout the developed world.

Yes!!!!! We have to stand up for this!!!!

Can I get a AMEN!

Check for new replies or respond here...