inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do You Feel Old Yet?

Written By: temaichi on 01/13/20 at 10:28 am

2010 was 10 years ago
2011 was 9 years ago
2012 was 8 years ago
2013 was 7 years ago
2014 was 6 years ago
2015 was 5 years ago
2016 was 4 years ago
2017 was 3 years ago
2018 was 2 years ago
2019 was 1 year ago

Subject: Re: Do You Feel Old Yet?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 10:34 am

I am already old!

Written By: temaichi on 01/13/20 at 10:39 am

I am already old!

62 is a good age. You have years ahead of you to relax and enjoy life.
Soon enough you can retire and feel young at heart!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 10:47 am

62 is a good age. You have years ahead of you to relax and enjoy life.
Soon enough you can retire and feel young at heart!
Call it semi-retied...

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/13/20 at 11:41 am

I felt old when I saw the sign you must be this old to buy smokes. I realized not only I was but my kid was too. Well at least before they just changed the law.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/20 at 11:53 am

I felt old when I applied for my free travel pass.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/13/20 at 1:40 pm

I feel old around teenagers, but young around people my mum’s age (54).

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/13/20 at 2:12 pm

Old as dirt. You!!

Written By: Howard on 01/13/20 at 3:37 pm

I'm closing in on 50 years old.  :o

Written By: Howard on 01/13/20 at 3:38 pm

I feel old around teenagers, but young around people my mum’s age (54).

I felt old just watching a short documentary on 80's malls.  :o

Written By: Sman12 on 01/13/20 at 10:16 pm

Yep. I already feel nostalgic of the 2010s (the early part of it, at least). Half of my childhood was spent last decade. Where have the times gone?  :-\\

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/14/20 at 12:22 am

What was it?  Sounds like a good show.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/20 at 1:57 am

Was it on YouTube?

Written By: Howard on 01/14/20 at 7:15 am

What was it?  Sounds like a good show.

I thought it was really good, It was made in 1983 and was filmed at Roosevelt Field Mall on Long Island.

Written By: Howard on 01/14/20 at 7:16 am

Was it on YouTube?

Yes it sure is.

Written By: suoerflykid2008 on 01/14/20 at 5:31 pm

Well, I’m 30 so yes and no. Time has past by so amazingly fast. I remember in 2010, a young 20 year old, barely out of his teens created a thread asking others how old they would be by the end of the decade (that kid was me) —and now we are beyond that point. That being said, I’m surprised at how young I still feel in many ways at 30. My body is still pretty together and flexible in most ways, I still love video games and in many ways I am the same person that I was as a teenager and and not totally out of touch with pop culture just yet —some of the new stuff isn’t my favorite but I still know who Post Malone, Migos and Billie Ellish is. I thought I’d feel more ancient than I do. Most of my coworkers are mid 30s - mid 50s, so even at my age I’m still on the younger half.

Something that I find interesting is it being 2020 —a decade with a official proper name —the twenties —it kind of forces me to realize how much time has passed. Even in 2019, with the 00s and the 10s not having a proper agreed upon name and identity, it is easy to just lump the first 20 years of the 2000s as a long decade —but when we hit 2020 or the 20s —it became a year that sounds so futuristic that even 2003, which sounded pretty recent even in 2019 sound pretty old. 2020 sounds sci-fi and far future while 2003 sounded pretty modern. 2020 sounds way more futuristic than 2003

Written By: temaichi on 01/14/20 at 5:38 pm

Well, I’m 30 so yes and no. Time has past by so amazingly fast. I remember in 2010, a young 20 year old, barely out of his teens created a thread asking others how old they would be by the end of the decade (that kid was me) —and now we are beyond that point. That being said, I’m surprised at how young I still feel in many ways at 30. My body is still pretty together and flexible in most ways, I still love video games and in many ways I am the same person that I was as a teenager and and not totally out of touch with pop culture just yet —some of the new stuff isn’t my favorite but I still know who Post Malone, Migos and Billie Ellish is. I thought I’d feel more ancient than I do. Most of my coworkers are mid 30s - mid 50s, so even at my age I’m still on the younger half

Here we are, a decade later and i am the one that is gonna turn 20 this year. I went back at the early threads in 2010 and i saw yours so i decided to bring it back once more. You are a legend! Thanks for sharing with us.

Written By: suoerflykid2008 on 01/14/20 at 5:44 pm

Here we are, a decade later and i am the one that is gonna turn 20 this year. I went back at the early threads in 2010 and i saw yours so i decided to bring it back once more. You are a legend! Thanks for sharing with us.

Thank you! Enjoy your time, man. It’s crazy how time flies. I’ve been on this website since I was literally a teenager in high school and here we are. I’ll probably be here checking in even in 2070 if I live to be 80 and have free time to do so. I find the progress of society and culture to be interesting. Am happy to be here

Written By: temaichi on 01/14/20 at 6:55 pm

Thank you! Enjoy your time, man. It’s crazy how time flies. I’ve been on this website since I was literally a teenager in high school and here we are. I’ll probably be here checking in even in 2070 if I live to be 80 and have free time to do so. I find the progress of society and culture to be interesting. Am happy to be here

Thanks, man. That is crazy. I always wondered why you took so long to register aswell xD
You were really bringing in some good discussions back then. I hope to stay on this website until i grow old too.
I wish i found out about inthe00s earlier then i did. I was always looking for a home to talk about the past and the current events in pop culture. A lot of young people my age do not pay attention to that stuff anymore. 2020 was just a "new year" for them when they should have celebrated a new decade! smh

Written By: Howard on 01/15/20 at 5:24 am

I've been on here for nearly 20 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/20 at 5:42 am

I feel old every day.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/20 at 7:37 am

I'm still young.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/16/20 at 9:50 am

I'm still young.

Toddler?

Written By: Sman12 on 01/16/20 at 12:02 pm

We're closer to 2025 than 2010 now. As a Zoomer, that's insane to me.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/16/20 at 12:37 pm

I mean time is going by faster and faster as you get older. Everybody goes through this. When you're a young kid, your brain is like a sponge and absorbs so much information at once, so time just goes by super slow, I mean that's the thing about childhood, it doesn't last forever, but it felt like an eternity, but the moment it ends, time starts speeding up. Once high school begins in your lifetime and your teen years go by, time starts going by super fast and it only gets faster and faster from there. The older you get, the tougher it is for your brain to squeeze in a lot of information, you usually have a long life job in the workforce and time just goes by quick. I've been out of HS for 6 years now and holy crap time waits for no one. It's already a new decade man, it's mind blowing. We can all feel old all we want because of this, but most of us aren't old. My parents aren't even old yet but about to be soon. Old begins roughly around 60-65, 60 is the youngest old but still old.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/20 at 2:48 pm

In just a few years I'll be 50 years old.  :o

Written By: temaichi on 01/16/20 at 6:08 pm

I mean time is going by faster and faster as you get older. Everybody goes through this. When you're a young kid, your brain is like a sponge and absorbs so much information at once, so time just goes by super slow, I mean that's the thing about childhood, it doesn't last forever, but it felt like an eternity, but the moment it ends, time starts speeding up. Once high school begins in your lifetime and your teen years go by, time starts going by super fast and it only gets faster and faster from there. The older you get, the tougher it is for your brain to squeeze in a lot of information, you usually have a long life job in the workforce and time just goes by quick. I've been out of HS for 6 years now and holy crap time waits for no one. It's already a new decade man, it's mind blowing. We can all feel old all we want because of this, but most of us aren't old. My parents aren't even old yet but about to be soon. Old begins roughly around 60-65, 60 is the youngest old but still old.

I felt this on a personal level. Time scares me nowadays.
When i was younger i used to get hyped about being a grown up. I just wanna go back to being a kid again and i'm only 19!

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/16/20 at 10:34 pm

When i was younger i used to get hyped about being a grown up. I just wanna go back to being a kid again and i'm only 19!

This is true.  Because when you were younger, each time interval represented a certain percentage of your life.  A year was huge.  When you are older, a year is a much smaller percentage of your life and is less significant to your overall life.  Generally speaking anyway.  That and your mind and body runs slower, yet the rest of the world runs at the same speed.  I've looked up sound snippets and noticed them playing faster than how I remembered them when I was a kid.  And it seems the world is going too fast.  I've even noticed my musical pitch recognition has completely drifted about a half step since when I had absolute pitch as a teen, for example I know the "flavor" that a Bb is supposed to sound like, but when I hear that flavor now it turns out it's really an A.  It just sounds like a faster frequency.

And when I read some things I posted in message boards from like 20 years ago, I often referred to a period of a couple months as "a long time ago" and I would complete huge projects in a matter of days.  These days I'll take months to do the same thing, a couple months ago feels like last week.  Often times I'll listen to a radio show on the weekend and think it was just yesterday I last listened to it, with little to no memory of the work week that just passed.

Written By: temaichi on 01/16/20 at 11:21 pm

This is true.  Because when you were younger, each time interval represented a certain percentage of your life.  A year was huge.  When you are older, a year is a much smaller percentage of your life and is less significant to your overall life.  Generally speaking anyway.  That and your mind and body runs slower, yet the rest of the world runs at the same speed.  I've looked up sound snippets and noticed them playing faster than how I remembered them when I was a kid.  And it seems the world is going too fast.  I've even noticed my musical pitch recognition has completely drifted about a half step since when I had absolute pitch as a teen, for example I know the "flavor" that a Bb is supposed to sound like, but when I hear that flavor now it turns out it's really an A.  It just sounds like a faster frequency.

And when I read some things I posted in message boards from like 20 years ago, I often referred to a period of a couple months as "a long time ago" and I would complete huge projects in a matter of days.  These days I'll take months to do the same thing, a couple months ago feels like last week.  Often times I'll listen to a radio show on the weekend and think it was just yesterday I last listened to it, with little to no memory of the work week that just passed.

Very interesting that you say that because whenever i ask people that are a lot older then me questions such as "When was that photo of you taken?" or "When did that song/film come out?" they tend to forget. It always made me wonder if adults are just naturally good at living in the present. Do they even look back at a specific year and have fond memories about the past?

There is a popular app nowadays called "Snapchat" that allows me to interact with my friends but also save pictures i have taken for a huge gallery built in the app itself. I can scroll past any year if i wanna look back and reflect on the times and that is one of the biggest contributions to how i remember a year so well. Technology has definetly helped a lot to do so!

You are lucky to have been on this site since 2004. Having a picture to look at is a cool thing but reading your thoughts, personal views on pop culture and how you interacted with people at the time is an another thing. It was a completely different time back then.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/16/20 at 11:49 pm

Very interesting that you say that because whenever i ask people that are a lot older then me questions such as "When was that photo of you taken?" or "When did that song/film come out?" they tend to forget. It always made me wonder if adults are just naturally good at living in the present. Do they even look back at a specific year and have fond memories about the past?

There is a popular app nowadays called "Snapchat" that allows me to interact with my friends but also save pictures i have taken for a huge gallery built in the app itself. I can scroll past any year if i wanna look back and reflect on the times and that is one of the biggest contributions to how i remember a year so well. Technology has definetly helped a lot to do so!

You are lucky to have been on this site since 2004. Having a picture to look at is a cool thing but reading your thoughts, personal views on pop culture and how you interacted with people at the time is an another thing. It was a completely different time back then.

I have very fond memories of the past back until about age 2 1/2.  My first 20 years was very memorable.  My last 20 years was pretty forgettable for the most part.  I still remember things clearly when I was a kid and teen, but forget what I did yesterday, last week, etc.  Same with a lot of music and TV.  I am pretty familar with the first 20 years.  Most anything from the last 20 years does not seem memorable.  Though I have to say I've stumbled across a few recent songs that I liked.  Because they had an 80s vibe.

I have photo albums up until the mid 2000s.  After that my albums are on my computer and are backed up.  I don't use social media or filters or anything.  Honestly I just thought Snapchat was just a source for amusing filters.

I joined here in 2004 but originally to figure out some songs and movies I was thinking of.  Then barely any activity for ages, maybe a little here and there.  Over the past year or so I've had more activity here than all the other years combined.

My daughter was born March 2001 so I can kinda see how you view the world.  Yes in my late teens it was a completely different world.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/17/20 at 3:07 am

I've even noticed my musical pitch recognition has completely drifted about a half step since when I had absolute pitch as a teen, for example I know the "flavor" that a Bb is supposed to sound like, but when I hear that flavor now it turns out it's really an A.  It just sounds like a faster frequency.

SHUT UP!!!!! THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO EVERYBODY IN MY PERSONAL LIFE AND EVERYONE ON HERE! THE PITCH OF YOUR HEARING CHANGES WHEN YOU GET OLDER! NO, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE SOFTNESS OR LOUDNESS OF YOUR HEARING, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE PITCH SHIFT OR SEMI-TONE/HALF STEP, YOUR HEARING PITCH/FREQUENCY CHANGES! Thank you wagonman76, all of my favorite musics, intro themes to TV shows I grew up with, ringtones, video logo intros, sound effects, and so forth I listened to as a kid in my single digits, does not sound the same nearly 20 years later as an adult. The pitch of my hearing has shifted by nearly 1 semi-tone (half step) or almost 5.946% compared to when I was a little kid. For me to listen to any music or theme song and hear it the EXACT way it sounded when I was a little kid, I have to EDIT it on audacity and pitch shift it down, and it's annoying as hell. Sometimes I miss the way the old pitch used to sound to me, music doesn't sound the same to me anymore because of this, and I have no control over it. Thanks a lot ears, I hate you so much as I've gotten older!  >:(

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=57829.msg3709601#msg3709601

"Dumbest thread question ever about your hearing of music over the years."

Written By: Howard on 01/17/20 at 7:34 am

You're still young so don't worry about going backwards.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/17/20 at 11:16 am

SHUT UP!!!!! THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO EVERYBODY IN MY PERSONAL LIFE AND EVERYONE ON HERE! THE PITCH OF YOUR HEARING CHANGES WHEN YOU GET OLDER! NO, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE SOFTNESS OR LOUDNESS OF YOUR HEARING, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE PITCH SHIFT OR SEMI-TONE/HALF STEP, YOUR HEARING PITCH/FREQUENCY CHANGES! Thank you wagonman76, all of my favorite musics, intro themes to TV shows I grew up with, ringtones, video logo intros, sound effects, and so forth I listened to as a kid in my single digits, does not sound the same nearly 20 years later as an adult. The pitch of my hearing has shifted by nearly 1 semi-tone (half step) or almost 5.946% compared to when I was a little kid. For me to listen to any music or theme song and hear it the EXACT way it sounded when I was a little kid, I have to EDIT it on audacity and pitch shift it down, and it's annoying as hell. Sometimes I miss the way the old pitch used to sound to me, music doesn't sound the same to me anymore because of this, and I have no control over it. Thanks a lot ears, I hate you so much as I've gotten older!  >:(

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=57829.msg3709601#msg3709601

"Dumbest thread question ever about your hearing of music over the years."

Wow so someone else understands what I'm saying.  Great thread you linked to.  I'll continue it over there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/20 at 1:08 pm

I am already old!

I wouldn't call you "old." I would call you "Chronologically challenged."  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Sman12 on 01/17/20 at 1:25 pm

I honestly never felt any pitch shifts from being a teen to a legal adult now (19). Meh.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/17/20 at 1:48 pm

I honestly never felt any pitch shifts from being a teen to a legal adult now (19). Meh.

How about being a kid to an adult? I bet the change is more noticeable and bigger.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/20 at 2:43 pm

How about being a kid to an adult? I bet the change is more noticeable and bigger.

For me, the change was definitely noticeable, wound up with facial and body hair later on.

Written By: man 2000 on 01/17/20 at 11:30 pm

I really haven't notice much change from kid to young teen adult to a fully grown adult, my memory is a bit hazy.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/18/20 at 2:37 pm

I guess so, considering how long it was ever since I was a kid. Time definitely did become faster as I aged because 2019 (imo) just flew by so damn quick.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/20 at 3:48 pm

I really haven't notice much change from kid to young teen adult to a fully grown adult, my memory is a bit hazy.

You start to grow facial hair
body hair
and your voice either gets lower or sometimes higher

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/19/20 at 12:38 am

Not yet.  Check back with me in 2021 when I'm 45.  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/19/20 at 7:12 am

I'm not as old as you think.

Check for new replies or respond here...