inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the early 2010s start feeling dated to you?

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/15/20 at 12:24 am

Follow up to my "When did the early 2000s start feeling old/dated to you" thread (that thread is now 5 years old  :o ).

For me that feeling started a little in late 2016 after trump got elected. The early 10s didn't feel quite like FOREVER ago in 2016, but they were showing their age a bit.

But the feeling of the early 2010s being old didn't fully slap me into the face until 2018-2019 when I started seeing lots of teens online say Minecraft was their childhood, as well as me realizing the upbeat music of the electropop era is no longer contemporary and now it's all dark and angsty. Also seeing the resurgence of Doge and rage comics, it sank in to me that they were now old memes.

It's weird because at the time, early 2010s culture felt like it was gonna be "contemporary" forever and ever, know what I'm saying? Like I remember people laughing off the idea that there would be 2012 nostalgia at the time. They were saying "oh, nostalgia will stop with the 90s/early 2000s, the last eras with a monoculture. Modern digital culture is too fragmented for nostalgia; there won't be Minecraft nostalgia because it'll always be there, you can't forget then rediscover it like analog era stuff." Well they were completely wrong lol.

Subject: Re: When did the early 2010s start feeling dated to you?

Written By: mc98 on 01/15/20 at 7:42 am

The early 2010s felt dated to me since 2017.

Written By: 2001 on 01/15/20 at 7:53 am

The early 2010s were another world, but I wouldn't call them old yet. But I did notice that my younger coworkers born 1996/1997 looked like kids on their old Facebook profile pics in 2009/2010. That makes me feel old, even though they're not that much younger than me ;D

Written By: imrane on 01/15/20 at 8:11 am

Mid 2015. Even in mid 2014 music was turning to a different sound but 2015 sounded and looked almost totally different than 2010-2012 and even 2013. Also Win 10 came out in summer 2015. Also don't forget the change to flat user interface, graphic design and the various changes to emojis, esp on Android.

I was living on a small farm town in 2014-2015 and then in 2015-2017 in a larger but still smallish town. When I came back to my home city everyone was sporting undercuts, driving scooters and dressed like hipsters. They still do! I miss 2010-2014.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/15/20 at 8:51 am

2016 is a safe year to pin it. Put if you wanna go a step further I'd say 2015. The early 2010s were so cheesy that's incredibly easy to feel dated.

Written By: imrane on 01/15/20 at 8:58 am

I'd say they were bohemian. I find trap and mumble rap far cheesier than most of early 10s  music.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/15/20 at 11:11 am

It doesn't feel dated to me.  2010 feels like a few years ago.  Part of getting old.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/15/20 at 11:59 am

2016 to 2017 for obvious reasons.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/15/20 at 12:00 pm

It doesn't feel dated to me.  2010 feels like a few years ago.  Part of getting old.

In 2020, the year 2010 feels like yesterday to me, but in 2010, the year 2000 felt like long time ago to me. It's that way for everyone who gets older tho.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/15/20 at 12:07 pm

Probably around 2008 would be a distinct time in my memory for when the early 10’s felt dated.  By 2009 it was ancient history.

Written By: imrane on 01/15/20 at 12:53 pm

In 2020, the year 2010 feels like yesterday to me, but in 2010, the year 2000 felt like long time ago to me. It's that way for everyone who gets older tho.

Weird, I was 21/22 in 2010 and now 31, feels like a huge difference to me. Even being 25 feels far back, much more care-free and less didillusioned about work. Different things are expected out of you at 30+

Written By: Sman12 on 01/15/20 at 1:02 pm

Definitely 2016 for me with Trump's win, PC culture, and "dank" memes.

Written By: kr37 on 01/15/20 at 2:11 pm

It's weird because at the time, early 2010s culture felt like it was gonna be "contemporary" forever and ever, know what I'm saying? Like I remember people laughing off the idea that there would be 2012 nostalgia at the time. They were saying "oh, nostalgia will stop with the 90s/early 2000s, the last eras with a monoculture. Modern digital culture is too fragmented for nostalgia; there won't be Minecraft nostalgia because it'll always be there, you can't forget then rediscover it like analog era stuff." Well they were completely wrong lol.

I definitely remember thinking that the early 2010s could never seem dated, probably because I didn't remember very many eras at the time. With all the new technology it felt pretty futuristic, I remember being especially fascinated by devices with touchscreens. Now, however, they do seem like a while ago, and I do feel nostalgic for that era. I didn't really feel that nostalgic about the early 2010s until right about the start of 2020, though. However, they have felt dated for the past few years.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/15/20 at 3:53 pm

Ok I may be the odd one out but the early 2010’s doesn’t seem dated to me in the least. I mean yeah, culture has definitely changed/shifted but for the most part technology has remained pretty stagnant in terms of your average joe. Like if you compare 2000 to 2010 the difference remained so significant compared to 2010 to 2020. I still see some people walking around with a 2013 iphone 5.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/15/20 at 4:32 pm

Definitely 2016 for me with Trump's win, PC culture, and "dank" memes.

Those two things were already starting in 2014-2015. Maybe you guys just weren't paying attention, but they already started by then.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/15/20 at 5:57 pm

Like if you compare 2000 to 2010 the difference remained so significant compared to 2010 to 2020.

2000 to 2010 was a pretty big jump, but 1990 to 2000 seems the biggest. When I look at videos from 1990-1993 it's like an alternate universe to me, one I find just out of my reach since I wasn't born. 1993-94 is when things start feeling more connected to the modern day (though still dated).

Written By: Sman12 on 01/15/20 at 6:46 pm

Those two things were already starting in 2014-2015. Maybe you guys just weren't paying attention, but they already started by then.

I guess. But they felt more pronounced to me during the heightened tensions of the 2016 elections and Brexit.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/15/20 at 7:09 pm

2000 to 2010 was a pretty big jump, but 1990 to 2000 seems the biggest. When I look at videos from 1990-1993 it's like an alternate universe to me, one I find just out of my reach since I wasn't born. 1993-94 is when things start feeling more connected to the modern day (though still dated).

Yeah even for me as a kid in the early 2000s I would watch movies from the 80’s like roger rabbit and it would look recent. I bought Matilda on VHS when I was 3 and it looks recent to me but I can see how it looks dated. For me the late 80’s-2000’s were recent eras in my childhood in terms of certain things but the 70’s looked so dated. I loved Billy Madison (1995) as a kid and it didn’t seem dated at the time. I figure its like watching a movie from 2015 right now and calling it dated.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/15/20 at 7:45 pm

Yeah even for me as a kid in the early 2000s I would watch movies from the 80’s like roger rabbit and it would look recent. I bought Matilda on VHS when I was 3 and it looks recent to me but I can see how it looks dated. For me the late 80’s-2000’s were recent eras in my childhood in terms of certain things but the 70’s looked so dated. I loved Billy Madison (1995) as a kid and it didn’t seem dated at the time. I figure its like watching a movie from 2015 right now and calling it dated.

I don't necessarily mean movies, but like commercial breaks and real-life footage from 1980-1993 feel like an alternate universe.

The movies from that time I saw as a kid didn't feel too dated though. Like when I watched Jurassic Park or Home Alone as a kid, they fit in fine with newer movies I watched like Spy Kids and Osmosis Jones. I guess movies don't date as much compared to other media forms. Or maybe kids just don't pay much attention to that stuff.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/15/20 at 8:41 pm

Ok I may be the odd one out but the early 2010’s doesn’t seem dated to me in the least. I mean yeah, culture has definitely changed/shifted but for the most part technology has remained pretty stagnant in terms of your average joe. Like if you compare 2000 to 2010 the difference remained so significant compared to 2010 to 2020. I still see some people walking around with a 2013 iphone 5.

Technology isn’t the only thing that makes an era dated. Besides, feature phones were still very common in the early 2010s - you’d look twice if you saw someone using one now.

Written By: imrane on 01/16/20 at 12:40 am

Movies often use better cameras and portray glamorous things and even futuristic tech. Remember the talkboy got released based on the mock-up one seen in Home Alone 2! Same is true for music videos and the OTT fashion in them. TV shows are usually closer to real life and they date faster, news broadcasts as well.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/16/20 at 1:09 pm

I don't necessarily mean movies, but like commercial breaks and real-life footage from 1980-1993 feel like an alternate universe.

The movies from that time I saw as a kid didn't feel too dated though. Like when I watched Jurassic Park or Home Alone as a kid, they fit in fine with newer movies I watched like Spy Kids and Osmosis Jones. I guess movies don't date as much compared to other media forms. Or maybe kids just don't pay much attention to that stuff.

Well even home videos didn’t feel dated at the time. My dad was obsessed with boogie boarding and skate boarding in the 80’s and early 90’s and he would show me videos of his competitions from 1992/1993 when I was 5 or 6 and it looked so recent in times. But now it looks so dated. I was also a kid so I didn’t pay much attention to minor differences in culture at that time.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/16/20 at 1:14 pm

Technology isn’t the only thing that makes an era dated. Besides, feature phones were still very common in the early 2010s - you’d look twice if you saw someone using one now.

Not just technology but the way we lived in 2012 is not entirely detached from the way we live in 2020. The only difference I notice is that not many people don’t  use home computers as much as they used to because the internet is so accessible now. Many people still use “obama phones” if that is considered a feature phone as well. In terms of pop culture/music nothing about 2010-2013 sounds, looks or feels super dated to me as of  right now. Maybe in another 5 or so years ? Then again I was in high school during that time and it still seems like yesterday to me.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/16/20 at 1:55 pm

The early 2010s were another world, but I wouldn't call them old yet. But I did notice that my younger coworkers born 1996/1997 looked like kids on their old Facebook profile pics in 2009/2010. That makes me feel old, even though they're not that much younger than me ;D

Omg Same ! Check out this photo from New years eve 2009 https://imgur.com/a/UzJJSgY. Out of all my friends I was the only one who looked like a kid lmao.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/16/20 at 3:02 pm

Not just technology but the way we lived in 2012 is not entirely detached from the way we live in 2020. The only difference I notice is that not many people don’t  use home computers as much as they used to because the internet is so accessible now. Many people still use “obama phones” if that is considered a feature phone as well. In terms of pop culture/music nothing about 2010-2013 sounds, looks or feels super dated to me as of  right now. Maybe in another 5 or so years ? Then again I was in high school during that time and it still seems like yesterday to me.

I was 18 in 2013 and it seems dated to me. The early 2010s don’t seem like a long time ago but that has no bearing on whether they’re dated or not. To people my mum’s age, the 90s don’t feel that long ago but they certainly look very dated.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/16/20 at 6:47 pm

I was 18 in 2013 and it seems dated to me. The early 2010s don’t seem like a long time ago but that has no bearing on whether they’re dated or not. To people my mum’s age, the 90s don’t feel that long ago but they certainly look very dated.

What’s “dated” in your opinion ?I was 16 in 2013 so our ages aren’t all that relevant/ far apart considering we both remember the year (culturally, politically and technologically) to a pulp. People were using iphones/smartphones, instagram was becoming pretty popular a long with snapchat and other digital application forms of social media, fashion was pretty much identical to what it is today, movies were shot digitally, photos from when you were 18 were more than likely taken on a phone rather than a digital camera, HDTV’s were more than common, Etc. I would agree culture has evolved, and phone cameras are more clearer with every remake but If I can go back to 2013 as a 23 years old chances are life (in terms of living) wouldn’t be dated at all. Most teens/ young adults had smartphones by then as well.

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/20 at 7:08 pm

What’s “dated” in your opinion ?I was 16 in 2013 so our ages aren’t all that relevant/ far apart considering we both remember the year (culturally, politically and technologically) to a pulp. People were using iphones/smartphones, instagram was becoming pretty popular a long with snapchat and other digital application forms of social media, fashion was pretty much identical to what it is today, movies were shot digitally, photos from when you were 18 were more than likely taken on a phone rather than a digital camera, HDTV’s were more than common, Etc. I would agree culture has evolved, and phone cameras are more clearer with every remake but If I can go back to 2013 as a 23 years old chances are life (in terms of living) wouldn’t be dated at all. Most teens/ young adults had smartphones by then as well.

2013 was socially different, which I'd say is more important than being technologically different. 2009-2014 was really a world of its own. Post-recession but pre-doom (ISIS, Trump, Brexit, high oil prices etc.).

Although I shouldn't be derailing this thread, it's a duplicate of this http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=60632.0

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/17/20 at 10:15 am

You’re focusing far too much on technology as if it’s the only thing that matters, but even so, smartphones evolve - you wouldn’t say technology didn’t change at all from 2000 to 2005 just because people used ‘dumb’ phones in both years. You went from Nokia 3310s to Motorola Razrs, they’re both ‘dumb’ phones but obviously different. An iPhone 11 is completely different to an iPhone 5. They might both be smartphones but that doesn’t mean they’re the same.

Fashion has definitely changed - the hipster aesthetic was gaining traction in 2013, whereas now sporty clothing is arguably the hottest fashion trend. If I look at high school photos from 2013, it’s pretty easy to see a difference in what people are wearing compared to today. Culture is obviously different, things were considerably less divisive, politics wasn’t so populist, terrorism wasn’t really on people’s minds. 2013 just seemed like a simpler year compared to the what seems like chaos now.

To be honest, I just think you’re trying too hard to appear older by making out like nothing has changed in the past 10 years. You were literally a 12 year old child at the start of 2010, now you’re 23, that is a massive difference. I was 14 (almost 15) at the start of the decade and that feels like another world to me.

Written By: mc98 on 01/17/20 at 10:48 am

I think 2013 feels like another world tbh.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 01/17/20 at 3:20 pm

You’re focusing far too much on technology as if it’s the only thing that matters, but even so, smartphones evolve - you wouldn’t say technology didn’t change at all from 2000 to 2005 just because people used ‘dumb’ phones in both years. You went from Nokia 3310s to Motorola Razrs, they’re both ‘dumb’ phones but obviously different. An iPhone 11 is completely different to an iPhone 5. They might both be smartphones but that doesn’t mean they’re the same.

Fashion has definitely changed - the hipster aesthetic was gaining traction in 2013, whereas now sporty clothing is arguably the hottest fashion trend. If I look at high school photos from 2013, it’s pretty easy to see a difference in what people are wearing compared to today. Culture is obviously different, things were considerably less divisive, politics wasn’t so populist, terrorism wasn’t really on people’s minds. 2013 just seemed like a simpler year compared to the what seems like chaos now.

To be honest, I just think you’re trying too hard to appear older by making out like nothing has changed in the past 10 years. You were literally a 12 year old child at the start of 2010, now you’re 23, that is a massive difference. I was 14 (almost 15) at the start of the decade and that feels like another world to me.

Flip phones were used in 1997 albeit analog but they were there. By 2000 most phones were digital as well as flip phones. The razor was just another flip phone with a lighter/sleeker design. In 2002 we were already using flip phones with cameras attached to it. From 2000-2005 phones and technology remained much of the same way up into the mid 2000’s tbh. It was a time of flip phones and Nokia's (the first text enabling phone circa 1992).

Hipster culture started in the late 2000’s circa 2007 with movies such as Juno and Superbad. It rose in popularity in the 2010’s. 2013 was the start of the 80’s/early 90’s revival in terms of fashion which is still prominent in todays fashion amongst teens and young adults. https://imgur.com/a/rZIkmoP That picture is from my Instagram taken on October 26 2013.

As far as culture and pop culture I have already explained to you that they’ve changed yes. But in terms of living 2013 is not dated in the least. Comparing iphone models/generations from 4 years ago is silly. The same thing I was doing on my iphone 5s in 2015 is the same thing I do now with my iphone 8. As far as your claim on terrorism in 2013  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-30086435. I rest my case with that. Do you not remember the Syrian civil war in 2011 ? I figured you’d remember since you were 16.

Also I was 12 when 2010 started and it doesn’t seem like that long ago. I was 13 for half of the year and started 8th grade in August 2010. You’re trying to make my age sound young to disqualify me from sharing why I  feel like not much has changed since that time. You’re using my age/the irrelevant fact that I was 12 for a couple of months in 2010 as if there’s a huge gap in maturity/ cultural appreciation between a 12-15 years old lmao. I was a teenager in 2010 (for most of it as that). You were 14 at the start, so don’t sit here and act like you lived a monumental portion of life compared to me because you were probably a year and a half to two years older than me lmao. That’s mad silly of you. Also you’re right being 13 10 years ago compared to being 23 now is a huge difference... For personal growth that is. That’s a totally separate entity from what we are talking about tho. It has nothing to do with the fact I don’t find the early 2010’s to be all that dated yet. I was 18 in 2015 and 23 in 2020, I have grown personally since then but it doesn’t mean I find 2015 to be dated.
In fact I feel like you’re pushing the early 10’s to be more dated than what it is in order to make yourself sound older as if you lived some sort of cultural, political and technological revolution in the past 10 years  ;D.

2010 was a different world for many reasons, I’m not saying that it wasn’t and I never said things haven’t changed since 10 years ago because that would be a lie. But for me, it doesn’t feel like that long ago to me at all and you take my opinion as me declaring to be older because im not agreeing with you ?  ok..

Check for new replies or respond here...