inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2016: First driverless bus runs

Written By: imrane on 01/22/20 at 9:14 am

Aside from all the bad fashion, toxic politics and meh music during the second part of the 10s there were some technical advances in self-driving vehicles.

In 2016 small Dutch town became the first time a driverless bus ran on public roads: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3420837/amp/Driverless-shuttle-bus-Dutch-public-roads-world-first.html

I was there that same day, visiting my old campus. Talk about coincidence! Didn't take a ride in it though.  ::)

Subject: Re: 2016: First driverless bus runs

Written By: 2001 on 01/22/20 at 9:16 am

Does this bus stop if it sees a tardy person running for it?

Written By: imrane on 01/22/20 at 9:33 am

I don't know really. Just a fun fact I personally just remembered as I was looking trough old photos from my college days in the Netherlands.

As it will certainly get there, I think it's good to discuss the 2018 accident in a separate thread, it was one of the events that defined the year imo.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/20 at 9:38 am

You have me thinking, the driverless trains in London (Docklands Light Railway) run on tracks which would be much safer than the driverless buses on the open road.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/20 at 7:31 am

Aside from all the bad fashion, toxic politics and meh music during the second part of the 10s there were some technical advances in self-driving vehicles.

In 2016 small Dutch town became the first time a driverless bus ran on public roads: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3420837/amp/Driverless-shuttle-bus-Dutch-public-roads-world-first.html

I was there that same day, visiting my old campus. Talk about coincidence! Didn't take a ride in it though.  ::)

I don't think driverless cars are reliable.

Check for new replies or respond here...