inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2018: First pedestrian killed by a self-driving vehicle

Written By: imrane on 01/22/20 at 9:40 am

Do you remember this sad and tragic, yet historic event? It was huge on YouTube and TV news.  :\'(

I will probably forever remember that video,  almost as strong as I remember the 1997 Diana or 9/11 TV reports. While it was not as big as them it nonetheless  got so much publicity, it practically defined 2018.

Subject: Re: 2018: First pedestrian killed by a self-driving vehicle

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/20 at 9:43 am

Do you remember this sad and tragic, yet historic event? It was huge on YouTube and TV news.  :\'(

I will probably forever remember that video,  almost as strong as I remember the 1997 Diana or 9/11 TV reports. While it was not as big as them it nonetheless  got so much publicity, it practically defined 2018.
When and where did this happen?

Written By: 2001 on 01/22/20 at 9:45 am

When and where did this happen?

I think the Tesla drove under a truck at an intersection in the US. It was tragic.

I think the driver ended up decapitated, he was a semi-famous YouTuber if I recall correctly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/20 at 9:49 am

I think the Tesla drove under a truck at an intersection in the US. It was tragic.

I think the driver ended up decapitated, he was a semi-famous YouTuber if I recall correctly.
Something now rings familiarity with me, there could be a topic on this already these boards here.

Written By: 2001 on 01/22/20 at 9:51 am

Something now rings familiarity with me, there could be a topic on this already these boards here.

I misread the thread title. I think the OP is talking about the autonomous Uber car in Arizona that ran into a pedestrian. It appears there were many self-driving accidents in 2018 :P

Edit: it appears the Tesla incident was in 2016. I really got my dates messed up.

Written By: imrane on 01/22/20 at 9:56 am

^^March 18: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elaine_Herzberg

Not the first fatality but the first pedestrian one.
Basically she was crossing at an illegal place at the wrong time while wearing dark clothes. The driver would've ran her over even if she didn't check her phone, no time to react.

Written By: 2001 on 01/22/20 at 10:15 am

^^March 18: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elaine_Herzberg

Not the first fatality but the first pedestrian one.
Basically she was crossing at an illegal place at the wrong time while wearing dark clothes. The driver would've ran her over even if she didn't check her phone, no time to react.

Oh wow, I never watched the video before. Kind of wish I hadn't. :-X

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/20 at 10:20 am

Oh wow, I never watched the video before. Kind of wish I hadn't. :-X
one video I do not wish to see.

Written By: imrane on 01/22/20 at 11:48 am

Sorry guys, I deleted it. I've seen much worse actually so kinda desenticized, didn't think before posting...
But makes you think twice about wearing dark clothes in the evening, she really was invisible.

Check for new replies or respond here...