inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lady Gaga Wasn't as Influential as People Think...

Written By: Slim95 on 01/29/20 at 4:25 pm

I always hear people saying how Lady Gaga was some famous superstar similar to Britney Spears or Madonna. But the analytics I've gathered say otherwise. In fact, the height of her career lasted such a short time. I think this notion of her being a major pop star may be because she was simply doing a lot of publicity stunts so people talked about her, or perhaps record sales? I didn't look into that so I don't know how it compares to others. But her career itself did not last long...

I've done a google analytical search as her name as the keyword. I know it's not science but it gives you a fair idea when her peak was. According to that, she peaked in March of 2010. And she was on the decline ever since and people started really losing interest after September of 2011. She's made a couple of little comebacks with the biggest one being when she was in that movie last year, but nowhere close to where she was at the height of her career.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=lady%20gaga

But look at the comparison to Taylor Swift.  :o

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=taylor%20swift

Subject: Re: Lady Gaga Wasn't as Influential as People Think...

Written By: Sman12 on 01/30/20 at 3:06 pm

Sure, she isn't the biggest pop star in the world anymore, but she still made a highly influential impact on pop music. Her unconventional style of fashion, social/political activism, and music make her stand out from the rest, and she was responsible for popularizing electropop and synthpop in the late 2000s and early 2010s. She basically created the general pop landscape (before Lorde and hip-hop took over) by making pop music interesting again from the dull music scene around 2008.

And this is coming from someone who isn't even a fan of hers.  ;D

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/30/20 at 5:16 pm

To me, Lady Gaga is the face of an era (the roughly 2009 to 2012 party/dance-pop era) and to a lesser extent an embodiment of my generation. Her weirdness and gaudy show persona just seemed to resonate with young people at the time. Around the time she became big, Soulja Boy's Crank That was the biggest hit. Then suddenly it was Poker Face and Bad Romance that we were hearing over and over. She definitely propelled music and pop culture into a different direction.

Written By: 2001 on 01/30/20 at 7:50 pm

To me, Lady Gaga is the face of an era (the roughly 2009 to 2012 party/dance-pop era) and to a lesser extent an embodiment of my generation. Her weirdness and gaudy show persona just seemed to resonate with young people at the time. Around the time she became big, Soulja Boy's Crank That was the biggest hit. Then suddenly it was Poker Face and Bad Romance that we were hearing over and over. She definitely propelled music and pop culture into a different direction.

I didn't like her at the time. It took me about 5 years to realize that Fame Monster is a masterpiece. And I am forever grateful to ha for killing 2000s music.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/30/20 at 7:56 pm

I know she was really big and famous it just really didn't last long... People lost interest very quickly.

Written By: 2001 on 01/30/20 at 8:03 pm

I know she was really big and famous it just really didn't last long... People lost interest very quickly.

That doesn't mean she wasn't on the same level as Britney/Madonna for that brief period though. Even today even if no one in Times Square is buying her mixtape, she is still a household name. When someone mentions her name, you don't need to explain who she is, everyone just knows.  :o

Compare that to Billie Ellish or Cardi B, you still have to explain who they are to the uninitiated. They're total who bodies even if they're winning Grammies and topping charts.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/30/20 at 8:07 pm

I didn't like her at the time. It took me about 5 years to realize that Fame Monster is a masterpiece. And I am forever grateful to ha for killing 2000s music.

I am very surprised by the revelation. She seems right up your ally.

She was huge but did have a fast decline. It was weird seeing her fall off like that after people endlessly trying to pin her as the "next Madonna."

I was NOT a huge fan of pop music in the late 2000s and especially not the early 2010s. I did not like the Katy Perry's and the Taylor Swifts but even I thought The Fame was a really good album that I could enjoy.

Written By: 2001 on 01/30/20 at 8:18 pm

I am very surprised by the revelation. She seems right up your ally.

She was huge but did have a fast decline. It was weird seeing her fall off like that after people endlessly trying to pin her as the "next Madonna."

I was NOT a huge fan of pop music in the late 2000s and especially not the early 2010s. I did not like the Katy Perry's and the Taylor Swifts but even I thought The Fame was a really good album that I could enjoy.

There was this gay kid two grades below me who was tormented for being a Gaga fan so I stayed far away and found my reasons to dislike it. It was the peer pressure :-X

When I got streaming (Google Play Music) in 2014 is when I started bopping to it guilt free ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 01/31/20 at 10:29 am

There was this gay kid two grades below me who was tormented for being a Gaga fan so I stayed far away and found my reasons to dislike it. It was the peer pressure :-X

When I got streaming (Google Play Music) in 2014 is when I started bopping to it guilt free ;D

I hope that kid's doing well now.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/31/20 at 12:51 pm

And her costumes were quite interesting.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/31/20 at 12:58 pm

She could make a huge comeback and become popular again. So many artists have done that.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/31/20 at 1:44 pm

Nobody rocked the meat dress like Gaga.  Definitely party material, fo sho.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/31/20 at 2:02 pm

That was so gross.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/31/20 at 2:05 pm

That was so gross.

Hahaha! Lol!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/31/20 at 9:48 pm

Damn that is messed up, but unfortunately that was just how things were back then. I vividly remember if any adolescent guy ever admitted to liking anything of the like of Gaga, Perry, Swift, or (especially) Bieber, they would've been socially crucified. Crazy to think how strict and binary our thinking was, even just 10 years ago. I liked the first three when they were popular back then, I just didn't really f*ck with Bieber until Purpose, in which his EDM influenced album music targeted more of an inclusive young adult audience anyways. But I never admitted into liking any of the 3 when they were popular as it would've destroyed my rep, while just several years later when Bieber made a comeback with Purpose, everybody was bumping to that sh!t (including some of his biggest detractors).

Written By: 2001 on 01/31/20 at 10:18 pm

I hope that kid's doing well now.  :-\\

He's doing alright, I think. My brother is still friends with him so I know he's still alive at least ;D

Damn that is messed up, but unfortunately that was just how things were back then. I vividly remember if any adolescent guy ever admitted to liking anything of the like of Gaga, Perry, Swift, or (especially) Bieber, they would've been socially crucified. Crazy to think how strict and binary our thinking was, even just 10 years ago. I liked the first three when they were popular back then, I just didn't really f*ck with Bieber until Purpose, in which his EDM influenced album music targeted more of an inclusive young adult audience anyways. But I never admitted into liking any of the 3 when they were popular as it would've destroyed my rep, while just several years later when Bieber made a comeback with Purpose, everybody was bumping to that sh!t (including some of his biggest detractors).

Yeah, there was no way any dude would get away with admitting to liking the teen pop of the time. I pretended to like Hedley instead (okay maybe not pretend). I was an open Katy Perry fan though, she became popular with I Kissed A Girl and Waking Up In Vegas so I don't think she goes with the rest. I seriously thought she was gonna be a punk rocker when I first heard her LOL

I trolled people by singing Baby and pretending to like Beiber ironically. I didn't even like him unironically though  8-P (until Purpose, but now he's back on his bullsh*t with his latest song)

Written By: violet_shy on 02/02/20 at 1:25 pm

The 2010s weren't my decade to grow up like some of you, but I have to admit Justin Beiber's song "Let me love you"...that was my jam! I still love it. Beautiful song.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/20 at 2:58 pm

Dogs were probably following around everywhere.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/02/20 at 2:59 pm

https://mtv.mtvnimages.com/uri/mgid:file:http:shared:mtv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/lady-gaga-meat-2-1440794946.jpg?quality=.8&height=1211.2&width=800

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/02/20 at 3:06 pm

He's doing alright, I think. My brother is still friends with him so I know he's still alive at least ;D

Yeah, there was no way any dude would get away with admitting to liking the teen pop of the time. I pretended to like Hedley instead (okay maybe not pretend). I was an open Katy Perry fan though, she became popular with I Kissed A Girl and Waking Up In Vegas so I don't think she goes with the rest. I seriously thought she was gonna be a punk rocker when I first heard her LOL

I trolled people by singing Baby and pretending to like Beiber ironically. I didn't even like him unironically though  8-P (until Purpose, but now he's back on his bullsh*t with his latest song)

Yeah I take that back, slightly. You could've been a cis/heterosexual male and like Katy Perry unironically in public, now that I remember it. Especially since she had a lot of clout in pop music and in the hip hop community back then. Wasn't Snoop featured in 'California Gurls' come to think of it?

Kesha and Gaga though, you'd probably would've been made fun of, but I still secretly liked them :). Bieber I just never really vibed with, but I don't really remember that many people my age (ahem.... girls my age that is) that were listening to his music like that, at least especially after he broke out into the scene in Late 2009. There may have very well been quite a few 'Beliebers' in my grade, but they probably would've never admitted to liking him, especially in high school ;D.

https://mtv.mtvnimages.com/uri/mgid:file:http:shared:mtv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/lady-gaga-meat-2-1440794946.jpg?quality=.8&height=1211.2&width=800

Yeah, Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta is a goddess. Both beautiful on the outside and inside.

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/02/20 at 3:17 pm

Bad Romance was always my favourite Gaga song. Reminds me a lot of high school now though.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/02/20 at 3:30 pm

Stefani Germanotta is an attention seeker.

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/02/20 at 4:01 pm

Stefani Germanotta is an attention seeker.

Rude.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/02/20 at 6:51 pm

Rude.

And true.

Written By: goodbants on 02/02/20 at 8:17 pm

I agree, OP. Taylor Swift is the real megastar of the 2010s. She had a strong career throughout the entire decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/02/20 at 8:32 pm

I agree, OP. Taylor Swift is the real megastar of the 2010s. She had a strong career throughout the entire decade.

I'm not trying to argue that or anything at all it's just something I was thinking about.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/02/20 at 8:59 pm

Yeah I take that back, slightly. You could've been a cis/heterosexual male and like Katy Perry unironically in public, now that I remember it. Especially since she had a lot of clout in pop music and in the hip hop community back then. Wasn't Snoop featured in 'California Gurls' come to think of it?

Kesha and Gaga though, you'd probably would've been made fun of, but I still secretly liked them :). Bieber I just never really vibed with, but I don't really remember that many people my age (ahem.... girls my age that is) that were listening to his music like that, at least especially after he broke out into the scene in Late 2009. There may have very well been quite a few 'Beliebers' in my grade, but they probably would've never admitted to liking him, especially in high school ;D.

Yeah, Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta is a goddess. Both beautiful on the outside and inside.

Just because she worked with hip-hop artists doesn't mean she had it good with the hip-hop community. Hip-hop fans aren't accepting her like that and she has come under fire for appropriation after she tried to convince herself that she was "down." She ain't no Gwen Stefani.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/20 at 4:54 am

https://www.billboard.com/files/styles/900_wide/public/media/28oct2013-lady-gaga-outrageous-outfits-600.jpg

Here's this outfit, I don't know what she's supposed to be.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 02/03/20 at 4:58 am

Rude.

But where is the lie?

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/03/20 at 7:06 am

I think you should show our queen some respect.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/03/20 at 8:08 am

;D

Written By: Howard on 02/04/20 at 7:15 am

Lady Gaga is certainly no queen.  ::)

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/04/20 at 8:41 am

Lady Gaga is certainly no queen.  ::)

She’s more of a queen than you’ll ever be!

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/05/20 at 8:55 am

You know, I wonder how kids nowadays would react if Justin Bieber’s “Baby” song came out today, because when I was in elementary school, you absolutely could not admit to liking Justin Bieber. ;D And especially if you were a boy. That was like a big no no. You could’ve actually risked serious bullying. It was literally an insult to say “Oh yeah? Well at least I don’t like Justin Bieber unlike you!!!”  Are kids today more accepting now? Especially because we’ve progressed a lot in the 2010’s? I’d like to think so  ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 02/05/20 at 10:46 am

You know, I wonder how kids nowadays would react if Justin Bieber’s “Baby” song came out today, because when I was in elementary school, you absolutely could not admit to liking Justin Bieber. ;D And especially if you were a boy. That was like a big no no. You could’ve actually risked serious bullying. It was literally an insult to say “Oh yeah? Well at least I don’t like Justin Bieber unlike you!!!”  Are kids today more accepting now? Especially because we’ve progressed a lot in the 2010’s? I’d like to think so  ;D

I'm still not a fan of Bieber, and his recent song that came out was a huge dumpster fire.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/05/20 at 11:07 am

In my elementary school days (80s) you couldn't admit to liking Michael Jackson.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/05/20 at 11:21 am

In my elementary school days (80s) you couldn't admit to liking Michael Jackson.

And I recall in the 70s people couldn't admit to liking Donny Osmond. There's really nothing new under the sun.

Written By: 2001 on 02/05/20 at 3:33 pm

While we're on the topic of Justin Bieber...

My little sister who was 4 years old at the time was a HUGE Bieber fan. My friend (we were 17/18) tried to troll me by pretending to like Bieber and telling me my music doesn't compare to his masterpieces. So I told my little sister that my friend is a huge Bieber fan too, do you want him (my friend) to be your boyfriend? You two can go to Bieber concerts together. She said YES!!!

I called his number and she asked him out on a date. Later, I got her to draw a picture of them two getting married, and sent it to him in the mail. Whenever he came over, she couldn't get off him and humped his legs. She had a huge crush on him, calling him on his phone all the time.

Lesson learnt. Don't try to troll the troll master.  8) ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/05/20 at 4:24 pm

I'm still not a fan of Bieber, and his recent song that came out was a huge dumpster fire.

I don't care for his music I'm an oldies fan.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/06/20 at 9:09 am

Yeah his “Yummy” song is terrible af 8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...