inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2017 was ICONIC!

Written By: temaichi on 02/13/20 at 1:35 pm

Lately i have been very nostalgic for the year 2017. It was a great year for music and especially for Hip-hop!
This is the year that Hip-hop surpassed Rock for the very first time in history as the most listened genre in the world and brought a fresh sound to the mainstream as well as birthing alot of legendary rappers today such as Lil Peep and XXXTentacion who influenced a lot of new rappers for years to come with the sub-genre called "Emo rap." Trap music was still fresh at the time and not over-saturated like it is nowadays. This was the year where i took a break from listening to all my 2000s rock albums/playlists and started to appreciate modern music for once instead of looking back all the time. I knew that i was witnessing music that was about to impact people in the future.

If you happened to live under a rock like Patrick the star during that year, watch this video!
Maybe it will change the way you look at the year twenty-seventeen!

TVKPqoe0icY

Subject: Re: 2017 was ICONIC!

Written By: GameXcaper on 02/13/20 at 1:43 pm

Lately i have been very nostalgic for the year 2017. It was a great year for music and especially for Hip-hop!
This is the year that Hip-hop surpassed Rock for the very first time in history as the most listened genre in the world and brought a fresh sound to the mainstream as well as birthing alot of legendary rappers today such as Lil Peep and XXXTentacion who influenced a lot of new rappers for years to come with the sub-genre called "Emo rap." Trap music was still fresh at the time and not over-saturated like it is nowadays. This was the year where i took a break from listening to all my 2000s rock albums/playlists and started to appreciate modern music for once instead of looking back all the time. I knew that i was witnessing music that was about to impact people in the future.

If you happened to live under a rock like Patrick the star during that year, watch this video!
Maybe it will change the way you look at the year twenty-seventeen!

TVKPqoe0icY

Lol, No. most people would completely disagree with your opinion. 2017 sucked ass. And emo rap, trap, and mumble rap is a trash genre that should die out ASAP. The only people who like it are all the wannabe thugs who are my age.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/13/20 at 2:04 pm

Lol, No. most people would completely disagree with your opinion. 2017 sucked ass. And emo rap, trap, and mumble rap is a trash genre that should die out ASAP. The only people who like it are all the wannabe thugs who are my age.

"The only people who disagree with me are wannabe thugs who are my age."

Written By: temaichi on 02/13/20 at 2:07 pm

First of all calm down. You say that most people would disagree with my opinion but the numbers do not lie. This was the year Hip-Hop took over mainstream music and media. I used to think the way you do but trap is an era of hip-hop where you do not have to be a thug to get people to listen to your music. The music that came out at the time was ignorant, fun, and grunge. I never really listened to rap before that year. I thought it had no meaning and was pointless but now i view the genre as something people can vibe and celebrate to similar to the electro-pop era which was also hated at the time but is respected now.

If you were to ask me if i liked the state of Hip-hop now, i would have told you no. I think trap music is over-saturated now and something new needs to happen but at the time of twenty-seventeen i did not mind it because it was a breath of fresh air at the time.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/13/20 at 2:19 pm

I liked the year 2017 for my personal life but I didn't care about the culture though early 2017 to the summer music and culture was not bad one of the best times for pop music and also the peak of EDM music too.

Written By: mc98 on 02/13/20 at 2:24 pm

The current rap wave had it's beginnings in 2016 when Lil Uzi Vert, Kodak Black, and Lil Yachty came into the scene. The wave amplified even further in 2017 and peaked in 2018.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/13/20 at 2:59 pm

I didn't really like 2017's hit music. I hate reggaeton, and the mainstream offerings from that year like "Shape of You" , "Look What You Made Me Do" and, ugh..... "Gucci Gang" were just lazy and awful.

I actually liked emo rap within the likes of X's old Soundcloud music and his album "17" after he died, but I don't really listen to his music anymore because I now find it a bit too immature for my tastes now. And X's final album (Bad Vibes Forever) is a DUMPSTER FIRE.

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/20 at 3:00 pm

2017 was probably the best year in gaming. I wasn't ready for Mario Odyssey. Still gotta finish Zelda tho.

Written By: temaichi on 02/13/20 at 3:22 pm

I didn't really like 2017's hit music. I hate reggaeton, and the mainstream offerings from that year like "Shape of You" , "Look What You Made Me Do" and, ugh..... "Gucci Gang" were just lazy and awful.

I actually liked emo rap within the likes of X's old Soundcloud music and his album "17" after he died, but I don't really listen to his music anymore because I now find it a bit too immature for my tastes now. And X's final album (Bad Vibes Forever) is a DUMPSTER FIRE.

Yeah i can agree with your opinion towards his final album. I thought it was all about the money which is disrespectful to his legacy. It makes it harder for me to view XXXTentacion as a legend. Lil Peep on the other side had people that actually cared for his legacy.

With that being said, i am not a fan of posthumous releases. If the artists is not here to experience the release, i do not wanna hear it.

Written By: temaichi on 02/13/20 at 3:26 pm

The current rap wave had it's beginnings in 2016 when Lil Uzi Vert, Kodak Black, and Lil Yachty came into the scene. The wave amplified even further in 2017 and peaked in 2018.

Correct! Best way to describe the wave! :)

Written By: Sman12 on 02/13/20 at 3:47 pm

Yeah i can agree with your opinion towards his final album. I thought it was all about the money which is disrespectful to his legacy. It makes it harder for me to view XXXTentacion as a legend. Lil Peep on the other side had people that actually cared for his legacy.

With that being said, i am not a fan of posthumous releases. If the artists is not here to experience the release, i do not wanna hear it.

Well, "Circles" by Mac Miller is my favorite album of 2020 so far.

Written By: temaichi on 02/13/20 at 4:04 pm

Well, "Circles" by Mac Miller is my favorite album of 2020 so far.

I have nothing against that. You can clearly tell that Mac Miller had a great team that cared about his legacy aswell but, XXXTentacion however... not pleased with the music that was released. It was clearly not ready to be out and i am speaking up as a fan.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/13/20 at 4:05 pm

2016 had better music tbh.  :P

Written By: Sman12 on 02/13/20 at 4:55 pm

I have nothing against that. You can clearly tell that Mac Miller had a great team that cared about his legacy aswell but, XXXTentacion however... not pleased with the music that was released. It was clearly not ready to be out and i am speaking up as a fan.

I totally understand that.

Written By: wixness on 02/13/20 at 5:22 pm

IMO this was one of the better songs of the 2010s because the melody (not the beat) actually sounded catchy.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/14/20 at 12:05 am

I cannot see 2017s rap scene as a "fresh of breath air" but I have obviously been listening to rap since I was born so...

Written By: temaichi on 02/14/20 at 3:20 pm

I cannot see 2017s rap scene as a "fresh of breath air" but I have obviously been listening to rap since I was born so...

If this is true, you should be able to understand that 2016-17 were both transitional years for Hip-Hop. I was heavy listener on Soundcloud during those times and the underground scene is what caught my attention but by twenty-seventeen everyone knew that Hip-Hop sounded different then what it used to before. Trap music allowed the genre to elevate in ways we have not seen before in any other genre which is why it was quick to go mainstream. People could now genre-blend with rock music, country, and even electronic music thanks to trap music and it actually worked without it being corny. This is what i meant by that and if you need any further examples i would be more then happy to link them to you!

Written By: violet_shy on 02/14/20 at 3:23 pm

I remember that song by...what's her name?

"Chained to the rhythm". Great song from 2017!

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/15/20 at 12:52 am

Not for me. The 2015-2017 era made me very nervous with all the negative polarized namecalling political/race BS people were spewing at the time. I would never want to relive it.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/15/20 at 5:44 am

If this is true, you should be able to understand that 2016-17 were both transitional years for Hip-Hop. I was heavy listener on Soundcloud during those times and the underground scene is what caught my attention but by twenty-seventeen everyone knew that Hip-Hop sounded different then what it used to before. Trap music allowed the genre to elevate in ways we have not seen before in any other genre which is why it was quick to go mainstream. People could now genre-blend with rock music, country, and even electronic music thanks to trap music and it actually worked without it being corny. This is what i meant by that and if you need any further examples i would be more then happy to link them to you!

Well, the title of the thread said 2017, not 2016. I'm sure you know that hip-hop had already been blended with those genres prior to this decades variation of trap music. What's corny and what's not is subjective because I find some of what was coming out in 2017 corny, especially that emo rap mess. I didn't mean to make it seem like you dont listen to hip-hop.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/15/20 at 9:55 am

There were actually some albums that I enjoyed from 2017, like Melodrama by Lorde, DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar, Flower Boy by Tyler, and Ctrl by SZA.

In political aspects, 2017 felt like if both the Iraq War and Occupy Wall Street protests had a lovechild, and it would be their offspring. Social justice warrior culture peaked, there were numerous protests and clashes between Pro and Never-Trumpers, Antifa and the alt-right, North Korean crisis, and so on. I would definitely put 2017 on a list of the most turbulent years in modern history (like 1968 or 2003).

2017 for games were exciting. Mario Odyssey, Zelda: BotW, Cuphead, Splatoon 2, and Hollow Knight are all amazing games.

Fidget spinners were only hot for the summer, then the craze died out shortly thereafter.

So, 2017 is iconic, but it will most likely be remembered for more negative things than positive ones.

Written By: temaichi on 02/15/20 at 12:47 pm

Well, the title of the thread said 2017, not 2016. I'm sure you know that hip-hop had already been blended with those genres prior to this decades variation of trap music. What's corny and what's not is subjective because I find some of what was coming out in 2017 corny, especially that emo rap mess. I didn't mean to make it seem like you dont listen to hip-hop.

I am well aware of the genre-blending before Trap music was a thing but in my opinion it was quite a mess. I think our generation did it successfully and I don't mind nu-metal but people found it corny at the time and especially now because they used to have funny sounding flows like Limp Bizkit for example which again i love them but people can not vibe to that anymore.

Fair enough if you don't like the emo rap mess. I didn't mind it back then but i will admit that the lyrics feels a little bit too forced nowadays because twenty-seventeen was in fact an influential year for music and people wanna try and sound like Lil Peep now.

Written By: temaichi on 02/15/20 at 12:50 pm

There were actually some albums that I enjoyed from 2017, like Melodrama by Lorde, DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar, Flower Boy by Tyler, and Ctrl by SZA.

In political aspects, 2017 felt like if both the Iraq War and Occupy Wall Street protests had a lovechild, and it would be their offspring. Social justice warrior culture peaked, there were numerous protests and clashes between Pro and Never-Trumpers, Antifa and the alt-right, North Korean crisis, and so on. I would definitely put 2017 on a list of the most turbulent years in modern history (like 1968 or 2003).

2017 for games were exciting. Mario Odyssey, Zelda: BotW, Cuphead, Splatoon 2, and Hollow Knight are all amazing games.

Fidget spinners were only hot for the summer, then the craze died out shortly thereafter.

So, 2017 is iconic, but it will most likely be remembered for more negative things than positive ones.

Ahhhh i remember fidget spinners. It was such a cool thing at the time because kids were actually being kids and playing with toys like we did when we were younger rather then using electronics. It lowkey felt like we lived in the 90s for one Summer.  :P

Written By: Dundee on 02/16/20 at 6:55 am

2017 was alright.

I guess no other year offered the occasion of doing things like this:
https://media.giphy.com/media/AlG0S8GuFnmp2/giphy.gif

Written By: Slim95 on 02/18/20 at 6:24 pm

2016 had better music tbh.  :P

Yes it did. Besides the first half of 2017. (and I hope people don't twist my words here and think I believe the late 2010s started in 2017, no they firmly started in 2016 and EDM was a late 2010s thing, not mid 2010s. Early '17 was just a fluke.)

Written By: Slim95 on 02/18/20 at 6:29 pm

People think I'm crazy when I say the first half of 2017 had really good quality mainstream music. The funny thing is it was only the first half of 2017, not 2016 (I mean it was not as good as this short period of time overall but overall '16 was better music-wise), and it has nothing to do with mid/late era (it was late 2010s completely by then), it was just a fluke. Trap was already big in 2016, it's just in early 2017 it just so happened that quality songs (including bubblegum trap) overtook trap. Quality mainstream songs came out only in the first half of 2017 (second half sucked though). If you don't believe me, look at this top 10 chart from April of 2017.. Every single song in this chart except for #6 and #3 is good...

47yhdzYR4aE

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/18/20 at 8:04 pm

One song that really stands out when I look back to 2017 is Despacito. I heard it today at the gym in fact. Doesn't sound dated at all.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/19/20 at 6:17 am

One song that really stands out when I look back to 2017 is Despacito. I heard it today at the gym in fact. Doesn't sound dated at all.

I may hate Despacito, but it changed modern pop music. It showed that the language barrier in foreign songs didn't matter whether people enjoyed it or not. Sure, the Justin Bieber remix helped the song immensely to rise on the charts, but the original song still caught on with international audiences. It's now the most-viewed YouTube video of all time, tied with "One Sweet Day" as the longest number one Hot 100 single of all time (before "Old Town Road"), and broke other numerous records. It made Latin Pop popular again.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/19/20 at 1:53 pm

Personally, 2017 was good! My family and I went to Florida to check out Disney World, and the Bahamas cruise to- you guessed it, the Bahamas (Freeport to be exact). I also went to Winnipeg around May, then in Banff, Edmonton, and Lake Louis in July, and we also had WE Day in Winnipeg around October. The only thing though that I hated was school, we used the horrible standards based grading system which was why I was a rage monster in school, throwing papers on the ground (I didnt hurt anyone), because of how hard the studies were. Other than that, pretty good year for travels!

Musically, it's good for the most part in my opinion. Besides mumble rap, I liked the Latin Pop movement in the summer with Despacito and Mi Gente, it was sooo catchy! I also liked some pop rock from Imagine Dragons and Portugal. Pop music was vibrant too, mostly. We had Alessia Cara, Julia Michaels, Shawn Mendes, and Selena Gomez popping. It was a great year for EDM too! While it's not as big as in 2016, it's still very popular at the time. Chainsmokers had their last breath of popularity with Something just like this and Paris, but I loved Calvin Harris' slide and his other songs, as well as Zedd's stay featuring Alessia Cara.

Movies were also fun this year! You guys may hate Marvel and DC movies but I love them. Thor Ragnarok, Wonder Woman, Spiderman Homecoming, and a bit of Justice League. If you're not a fan of them, you had John Wick 2, Baby Driver, Fast and Furious 8, Baywatch, and Kingsman The Golden circle. I liked the movie IT, it was soo funny, especially with Pennywise's dance  ;D. I didnt like animated movies this year though. Cars 3 was disappointing, Emoji movie sucked, and there just werent many animated movies released that year.

Gaming this year was also huge! Fortnite and Pubg had their breakthroughs, as well as the successful releases like Horizon Zero Dawn, Breath of the Wild, and AC Origins. GTA 5 remained very relevant, as well as Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4.

Overall, great year! 8.5/10

Check for new replies or respond here...