inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Non US acts that helped define the early 2010s

Written By: imrane on 02/13/20 at 3:14 pm

Along with US acts like Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift, etc. we had quite a few non-US acts that helped define the music landscape back in 2010-2014, and especially in 2012-2013:

Canadians like Bieber, Karly Rae Jepsen,  Brits like 1D, Adele, Ed Sheeran, and Australians and New Zealand artists like Gotye, Sia and Lorde. Some Scandinavians like Avicii, NONONO and a huge one-hit wonder from Korea (Psy).

Seems like there was more diversity than in the 2000s and I'd say 2015-present when mostly US acts dominate(d). It's like 2010-2014 was the 4th British music invasion. :) Maybe even 2008-2014 starting with Amy Whinehouse and Duffy.

The top 10 best selling albums in the UK in 2014 were all by British artists: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/01/uk-top-10-albums-2014-british-artists

Subject: Re: Non US acts that helped define the early 2010s

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/20 at 3:15 pm

In the early 2010s I was listening to Girls' Generation.

I do remember tweeting about this in 2015 though :P

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTY0VF4WUAErSbr?format=png&name=900x900

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/13/20 at 3:22 pm

IIRC, the UK has always been second behind the US in terms of producing popular global music. Sweden and Canada do really well too given their smaller populations. Having English as the main language will always help (and in Sweden’s case, having 90% of your population speaking English as a second language).

Written By: imrane on 02/13/20 at 3:35 pm

^^Yes, J and K pop were also bigger than now I think.

And I always forget Drake's also Canadian. ;D I always assume English-speaking acts are US-based but turns out most of my favourite ones from the early 2010s are actually from the UK, Canada, Aus, NZ, and even Scandinavia. ;D

I was listening to "Best Song Ever" today, I miss 1D although as a 1988 born male I was not their intended demographic. I liked their music and somehow I related to them as I've always wanted to be in a pop band just like that (that and I looked somewhat like Harry). :) Frankly they have a larger catalogue of songs that have aged better than most 90s boy bands imo.

^One country that had popular acts in the 70's and 80's (Nena, Nina Hagen, Kraftwerk, Propaganda, Silver Convention etc) but hasn't done much since is Germany. Good that Sweden is able to produce catchy melodies.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/14/20 at 6:56 am

In the early 2010s I was listening to Girls' Generation.

I do remember tweeting about this in 2015 though :P

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTY0VF4WUAErSbr?format=png&name=900x900

I think that this was the first time Canadians were dominating the Top 10 spots on the hot 100. 2015 was probably my last favorite year of pop music, since I didn't really love the following years.

Written By: 2001 on 02/14/20 at 7:03 am

I think that this was the first time Canadians were dominating the Top 10 spots on the hot 100. 2015 was probably my last favorite year of pop music, since I didn't really love the following years.

Those top 5 songs are great. I don't care for Stitches or Shawn Mendes in general though (except Lost in Japan).

Written By: wixness on 02/14/20 at 7:57 am

I did think this one obscure boyband duo that came from a UK talent show (Jedward) helped make a certain hairstyle popular but then again it could have been Bieber.

Written By: MSP10julia on 02/21/20 at 4:45 pm

Besides Girls Generation, There is 2NE1, Super Junior, SHINee, 4Minute, Sistar, BigBang, f(x), T-ara,Kara and other K-Pop groups who help to bring K-Pop globally with Gangnam Style during the early 2010s.

Check for new replies or respond here...