inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2010s "Sound"

Written By: Slim95 on 02/18/20 at 12:22 am

When people look back at the 2010s and the music, this is what they will remember I think. This distinct repetitive pattern and EDM sound in pop music. It is a screwy repetitive vocal mix and effect that started getting popular only in 2016. This is the sound and style of mainstream pop music in the 2010s that will be remembered looking back at the decade I believe.

SrehaHtaOck

Subject: Re: The 2010s "Sound"

Written By: Sman12 on 02/18/20 at 9:56 am

I HATED "Starving" (Like really, she was starving until she tasted him? 8-P), but that song is definitely a relic for the 2010s musical landscape.

Written By: TheKid99 on 02/18/20 at 11:34 am

I think of The 1975's second album as the quintessential 2010's sound.

Written By: wixness on 02/19/20 at 5:17 pm

When people look back at the 2010s and the music, this is what they will remember I think. This distinct repetitive pattern and EDM sound in pop music. It is a screwy repetitive vocal mix and effect that started getting popular only in 2016. This is the sound and style of mainstream pop music in the 2010s that will be remembered looking back at the decade I believe.

SrehaHtaOck
I think musicality or "quirky" or "bland and serious" melodies were a thing in the 2010s. In the 2000s, pop punk, ballad-y and melodic songs dominated in my opinion if not ringtone hip hop.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/19/20 at 5:43 pm

I also think that "Wake Me Up" by Avicii (RIP) is the quintessential EDM song. It has a timelessly catchy beat and drop, and great vocals by Aloe Blacc.

IcrbM1l_BoI

Written By: wixness on 02/19/20 at 5:47 pm

I also think that "Wake Me Up" by Avicii (RIP) is the quintessential EDM song. It has a timelessly catchy beat and drop, and great vocals by Aloe Blacc.

IcrbM1l_BoI
Not a fan of it. I read someone say it was trying to mix a lively sound with a bland sound - it sounds...sedated. I'm inclined to agree. It's like hipster lumberjack aesthetic, but my main issue with this song is that the melody sounds so random and I hate it.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/20/20 at 6:55 am

Not a fan of it. I read someone say it was trying to mix a lively sound with a bland sound - it sounds...sedated. I'm inclined to agree. It's like hipster lumberjack aesthetic, but my main issue with this song is that the melody sounds so random and I hate it.

I guess we have different musical tastes, because I never had a problem with how it sounded.

Written By: imrane on 02/21/20 at 6:06 am

California Gurls is the stereotypical, perfect early 2010s song. You no longer hear that happy-go-lucky sound.

Also - violins and instruments plus a brief disco revival (When I Was Your Man, Call Me Maybe, Get Lucky).

I don't think 2016-2019 pop is worth remembering.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/21/20 at 9:13 am

California Gurls is the stereotypical, perfect early 2010s song. You no longer hear that happy-go-lucky sound.

Also - violins and instruments plus a brief disco revival (When I Was Your Man, Call Me Maybe, Get Lucky).

I don't think 2016-2019 pop is worth remembering.

While 2016 and 2017 pop weren't my things either, there were still memorable songs that I enjoyed from those years.

2016 pop: Sorry, Hello, Cheap Thrills, I Took A Pill In Ibiza (Remix), Cake By The Ocean, Heathens, Broccoli (a guilty pleasure of mine lol)

2017 pop: Redbone, DNA., Sign of the Times, Starboy, That's What I Like, I Feel It Coming

I do agree that 2018 had a dull music scene, but I think 2019 was a incremental improvement.

Check for new replies or respond here...