inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Death of Analog Payment and the Rise of Digital Contactless Payment

Written By: GameXcaper on 03/02/20 at 10:54 pm

At the beginning of the 2010s:

Coin operated machines such as vending machines and laundry machines were the norm. By the end of the decade most machines were card/scan operated.

My dad needed to insert a key into a switch outside of our basement parking to open the garage door. Now he's been using a fob key for a couple of years.

Phone booths or payphones were still used at the beginning of the deace, despite cellphones being dominant. Now payphones are never used.

Credit/Debit cards have been used for a long time, but this was usually swipe (magnetic tape) which was analog. This was the method for 40 years. But then came along tap and insert/ chip and pin, and after that came along tap. Now most credit card readers have all three options, but most people use tap.

The use of fobs, smart cards, debit and credit cards along with mobile devices emitting near frequency radio waves is referred to as contact less payment. Purchases made by cards surpassed those made by cashed as this decade went on.

Subject: Re: Death of Analog Payment and the Rise of Digital Contactless Payment

Written By: DisneysRetro on 03/03/20 at 1:34 am

They started taking the pay phones out of my high school by 2012. I feel like 2010 was more digital than analog however there were definitely still some analog elements in the early 2010’s that were being replaced although they were not the norm. The mid 2000’s was like the last time analog and digital coexisted together as the norm. I think the only time pay phones were used back in 2010 is when someone lost their phone or at a train station. I lost my cell phone in 2011 so I had to make collect calls on my high schools pay phone which was taken down a year later. Calling cards are also not much of a thing anymore which were super analog. When ever I called my grandmother out the states we had to use calling cards or place an international collect call so that our phone bills wouldn’t be charged on international. Today’s kids/teenagers probably don’t even know how to place a collect call as it is so uncommon and not really recommended anymore. I don’t know many people who answer phone calls through collect anymore either.

As for payments, credit/ debit cards were usually done on credit card imprinters during my childhood however they existed with swipe credit card devices as well. Credit card imprinters are definitely obsolete now in this day and age and they were definitely obsolete before the 2010’s started as a decade. When I was a child it wasn’t a rarity for many stores (grocery and clothing) to take checks or for people to pay with checks , now that is never seen and pretty rare. I doubt kids/teens of today are gonna  know how to write a check in the future as they are so uncommonly used in this day and age.

I really don’t wanna sound like a boomer but a lot has changed technologically and for the better. Although in today’s digital age I can understand why analog tech is somewhat more mysterious and fun to still keep around..

Subject: Re: Death of Analog Payment and the Rise of Digital Contactless Payment

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/20 at 1:57 am

The telephone boxes in the UK are now a rare thing, a few do remain in key landmark areas, especially in London.

https://images.freeart.com/comp/art-print/fa11942061/red-phone-booth-london-england.jpg?units=cm&pw=20.3&ph=25.4&fit=False

Written By: Howard on 03/03/20 at 7:23 am

At the beginning of the 2010s:

Coin operated machines such as vending machines and laundry machines were the norm. By the end of the decade most machines were card/scan operated.

My dad needed to insert a key into a switch outside of our basement parking to open the garage door. Now he's been using a fob key for a couple of years.

Phone booths or payphones were still used at the beginning of the deace, despite cellphones being dominant. Now payphones are never used.

Credit/Debit cards have been used for a long time, but this was usually swipe (magnetic tape) which was analog. This was the method for 40 years. But then came along tap and insert/ chip and pin, and after that came along tap. Now most credit card readers have all three options, but most people use tap.

The use of fobs, smart cards, debit and credit cards along with mobile devices emitting near frequency radio waves is referred to as contact less payment. Purchases made by cards surpassed those made by cashed as this decade went on.

Gone are the days when you could go into a telephone booth and put in a quarter just to make a call, now they're being replaced with LinkNYC.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/03/20 at 11:25 am

I also remember calling cards being a thing in the 2000s, but thanks to video chatting services like Skype, imo and Messenger, it's easier for people to contact their family members overseas than ever before (and cheaper).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/03/20 at 11:46 am

The telephone boxes in the UK are now a rare thing, a few do remain in key landmark areas, especially in London.

https://images.freeart.com/comp/art-print/fa11942061/red-phone-booth-london-england.jpg?units=cm&pw=20.3&ph=25.4&fit=False

"Ziggy played guitar..."      ;)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/03/20 at 11:56 am

I really don’t wanna sound like a boomer 

Oh, it's not so bad.  ;)

Although in today’s digital age I can understand why analog tech is somewhat more mysterious and fun to still keep around..

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. There was an air of mystery, an air of ADVENTURE in the purely analog days. That has been lost in the pure convenience of this digital age. If you wanted to, you could absolutely DISAPPEAR for awhile and nobody could find you. There was great freedom in that. Can you imagine there was a time (I remember it well) when you had one phone, it was at home without even an answering machine, and if you weren't there you simply didn't know that somebody called. This did great things for the imagination. You could imagine that anyone could have called you. It also cut out needless and useless distractions. Junk mail of the soul. Besides, if it was important enough they always called back. And the magnificence of listening to analog music was like listening to the sound of God.

Written By: wixness on 03/03/20 at 12:00 pm

Eh, I'd still rather they kept cash on occasion even if I rarely carry it around myself. People also find it more convenient to do away with cash if they're not living on the streets, and this also plays in to banks', companies' and governments' hands (better control of people's money). Cryptocurrency, which governments oppose, may have arisen in response to this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/20 at 12:02 pm

"Ziggy played guitar..."      ;)
O0

I try and find others.

Check for new replies or respond here...