inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did mumble/trap music become fully prominent?

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/04/20 at 8:46 pm

Trap music has been around since the late 90s-early 00s (Outkast did the song SpottieOttieDopaliscious, there was also the debuts of TI and Lil Jon around that time), but it wasn't until years later that it kinda merged with mumble rap and entered its modern form, if you will.

When did this fusion of "mumble-trap" fully take off and become inescapable? I've heard 2014 because that's when you had Trap Queen by Fetty Wrap, No Type by Rae Sremmund, Lifestyle by Rich Gang, Hot N***a by Bobby Shmurda, etc. However, I've also heard anywhere from 2011-2013 because of Tony Montana and Turn on the Lights by Future, Don't Like by Chief Keef, Type of Way by Rich Homie Quan, Versace by Migos, Work by A$ap Ferg, etc.

Subject: Re: When did mumble/trap music become fully prominent?

Written By: mc98 on 03/04/20 at 9:04 pm

Trap music has been around since the late 90s-early 00s (Outkast did the song SpottieOttieDopaliscious, there was also the debuts of TI and Lil Jon around that time), but it wasn't until years later that it kinda merged with mumble rap and entered its modern form, if you will.

When did this fusion of "mumble-trap" fully take off and become inescapable? I've heard 2014 because that's when you had Trap Queen by Fetty Wrap, No Type by Rae Sremmund, Lifestyle by Rich Gang, Hot N***a by Bobby Shmurda, etc. However, I've also heard anywhere from 2011-2013 because of Tony Montana and Turn on the Lights by Future, Don't Like by Chief Keef, Type of Way by Rich Homie Quan, Versace by Migos, Work by A$ap Ferg, etc.

2011-2013 was more underground and bubbling while in 2014 it became more mainstream with Young Thug and Fetty Wap.

Written By: suoerflykid2008 on 03/04/20 at 10:30 pm

2015 is when it started becoming dominant —Trap Queen was one of the top songs of the year. By 2016 almost every song on the charts were trap and/or mumble rap

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 03/04/20 at 10:35 pm

Late 2016, when "Black Beatles" became a hit.

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/20 at 11:11 pm

Isn't there a difference between mumble rap and trap? Mumble rap I first heard in 2016 with Panda. Trap's popularity probably goes all the way back to 2012/2013. First song I can distinctly recall is Harlem Shake (although that was a meme song).

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/04/20 at 11:13 pm

Isn't there a difference between mumble rap and trap? Mumble rap I first heard in 2016 with Panda. Trap's popularity probably goes all the way back to 2012/2013. First song I can distinctly recall is Harlem Shake (although that was a meme song).

They used to be separate (I wouldn't call TI or Lil Jon mumble rap, for instance) but over time they've merged together, and are often used interchangeably nowadays. Here's an example of this fusion:

i_kF4zLNKio

Written By: DisneysRetro on 03/04/20 at 11:18 pm

Late 2015 early 2016. Mystikal was probably one of the first mumble rappers to emerge out of the 90’s/early 2000’s.

Written By: mc98 on 03/04/20 at 11:26 pm

This was a trap song from the early 90s. They even use the triplet flow at the 2:40 mark:

riifOyp4V6Y

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/05/20 at 12:14 am

Future popularized the term 'mumble rap' due to his ambiguous lyrical emphasis in songs. He really rose in the game in the mid 2010s with his mixtapes; Monster, Beast Mode, 56 Nights, and most famously with his collaboration project with Drake in What A Time To Be Alive. However, there was still this innovative essence to Future, especially with his lyrical content and his flow. In all honesty, 'mumble rap' didn't really become the pejorative that we associate with the genre today, until Mid-Late 2016, with the success of 'Panda' by Desiinger, whom many thought was Future due to how much he sounded like him. Ironically, it was at this moment that the 'mumble rap' flow 'jumped the shark', because it meant that anybody could easily replicate it.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/05/20 at 12:17 am

Late 2016, when "Black Beatles" became a hit.

That sounds about right, particularly when almost all rappers at that point began to straight up emulate Future. That's was the point of no return for rap/hip hop as a whole, and we've been living in this dark age ever since 8-P.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/05/20 at 12:40 am

Future popularized the term 'mumble rap' due to his ambiguous lyrical emphasis in songs. He really rose in the game in the mid 2010s with his mixtapes; Monster, Beast Mode, 56 Nights, and most famously with his collaboration project with Drake in What A Time To Be Alive. However, there was still this innovative essence to Future, especially with his lyrical content and his flow. In all honesty, 'mumble rap' didn't really become the pejorative that we associate with the genre today, until Mid-Late 2016, with the success of 'Panda' by Desiinger, whom many thought was Future due to how much he sounded like him. Ironically, it was at this moment that the 'mumble rap' flow 'jumped the shark', because it meant that anybody could easily replicate it.

That song actually came out in December 2015, but wasn't a success till it's re release in February 2016.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/05/20 at 6:36 am

Around late 2014 to early 2015 when "Trap Queen" was re-released by Fetty Wap and his label. It quickly became a viral hit song and was also a popular meme on Vine.

This song showed the widespread commercial promise for trap and/or mumble rap as it peaked at #2 on the Hot 100 in 2015, a new high for the subgenre. I could even say that it's integral to the popularity of trap music.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/05/20 at 7:12 am

Trap music was underground in the 90s as mc98 showed, and made some tidbits in the Mid 2000s here and there, but mumble rap had its origins in the 2000s believe it or not. 6ix9ine sounds like Lil Jon in a lot of ways, and Soulja Boy influenced today's music in a lot of ways. He wasnt a mumble rapper, but wanted to be credited for how people listen to today's rap music. Lil Wayne did have some mumble rap songs like Lollipop in the late 2000s, his voice was slurred until Future really further amplified it in 2011 with Tony Montana. In 2012, you had new rappers like Future, Chief Keef, and Gucci Mane being popular underground. It wasnt until late 2014 when mumble rap enters the mainstream with Rich Gang, Rae Sremmurd, Young Thug, OT Genasis, etc. And then in 2015, its holding its place with Fetty Wap, Future, Rae Sremmurd, etc. It wasnt until late 2016 when it started dominating the charts with second-wave mumble rappers like Desiigner, Migos, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Yachty, etc.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/05/20 at 9:27 am

That song actually came out in December 2015, but wasn't a success till it's re release in February 2016.

Ok, but it didn't chart into Billboard until March of 2016, peaking at number one by May of 2016, along with his music video of the song being released around then as well. His song remained charted within the top 30 of the Hot 100 until at least October of 2016.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/05/20 at 12:09 pm

This iconic XXL cypher perfectly encapsulated what the rap scene was like in 2016. Most of the rappers that were on here (besides maybe Lil Yachty) are still relevant in the rap game today: 

U_IbIMUbh-k

Written By: Dundee on 03/06/20 at 8:54 am

Trap music has been around since the late 90s-early 00s

Trap didn't exist as a music genre in the 90s. That OutKast lyric just refers to the slang of "trapz" being places where you sell drugs.

And while it took shape in the 2000s lyrics-wise, the music was hardly distinguishable from the dirty south sound of back then, just with lyrics about dealing.

The actual music genre of trap we know today as stuttering hi-hats+808s+triplet flow+sub bass+ambiance exploring a myriad of themes only started well into the 2010s.

Written By: mc98 on 03/12/20 at 9:41 pm

I think this is the first song with the stuttering hi-hats trap is known for:

s0G9jPaZSKw

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/12/20 at 11:25 pm

Trap took over in late 2016, mostly 2017 if that's what you're asking.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/13/20 at 5:37 am

Trap took over in late 2016, mostly 2017 if that's what you're asking.
Today's melodic trap started around then, but trap music was prominent in hip hop for well over a decade.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/24/20 at 12:15 pm

Watching this video, it confirms to me that the mumble/trap fusion rap started in 2011, and skyrocketed in 2014.

S4ptocBbmKs

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/24/20 at 6:50 pm

I have no idea when mumble and trap rap became popular, but I wish the record companies wouldn’t drag manufactured rap music further down than it is already.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/25/20 at 7:36 am

Today's melodic trap started around then, but trap music was prominent in hip hop for well over a decade.

I said that it took over in 2017, meaning it became the most popular form of music in the west. That was not the case prior to 2017. That is the year hip-hop surpassed pop in terms of popularity, and trap was the face of it.

Written By: Wink-182 on 03/31/20 at 4:45 pm

2017, definitely. It started to creep out in 2015 with songs like "Watch Me" and more so in 2016 with "Panda". 2017 is when it became mainstream with songs like "Gucci Gang".

Check for new replies or respond here...