inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Problem with Dividing Eras

Written By: Slim95 on 03/30/20 at 2:45 pm

I've noticed a lot of people disagree with me on here about 2016 being the start of the late 2010s, not 2017. I think part of the issue is that change in culture is gradual and so some may see changes earlier than others and that's why there is often disagreements on when an era began by one or two years. I'm guilty of being dogmatic on my opinion about it and I apologize and I can see why it's easy to be dogmatic. I just personally believe the way I do with all my heart but I can see why another person may view another year as a start of a shift because change in general does happen gradually. It's also important to mention I do live in Canada so maybe my perspective could be a little different especially politically and economically speaking. I guess this is why decadeology is banned on this site. Things like that can cause a lot of strife and arguments.

Subject: Re: The Problem with Dividing Eras

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/30/20 at 2:53 pm

I do agree with you about 2016 being the start of the late 2010s, mostly November-December 2016 though (when Trump got elected). Summer 2016 with Pokemon Go felt like the farewell to the mid-2010s.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/30/20 at 5:59 pm

Full Years Of The Obama 2010s: 2011- 2016

Full Years Of The Trump 2010s: 2017-2019

Written By: Slim95 on 03/30/20 at 6:16 pm

Well I can see how someone could see 2016 as different from 2018 in some areas but 2016 felt nothing like the mid 2010s anymore to me I felt a change that year everything got political, you had AI with Pokemon Go, and a bunch of other stuff that made it feel different from 2014 and 2015. I know changes always happen and we even saw some little hints of change in 2019 to bring us into the early 2020s but on the whole the late 2010s era to me would be 2016 - 2019. I do believe 2016 was transitional but leaned more towards late '10s and there was a transition that started in mid to late 2015 as well. Not only did Trump get on the political scene that year but Trudeau also got elected in Canada and the economy changed and a bunch of other things that separated the mid 2010s feel of 2014. I don't know how people can think 2014 was in anyway similar to 2016, those two years just felt quite different like 2014 and 2012. That's just my opinion though and it could partly be because I'm in Canada and I had a slightly different perspective. Either way change is gradual.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/30/20 at 6:39 pm

Well I can see how someone could see 2016 as different from 2018 in some areas but 2016 felt nothing like the mid 2010s anymore to me I felt a change that year everything got political, you had AI with Pokemon Go, and a bunch of other stuff that made it feel different from 2014 and 2015. I know changes always happen and we even saw some little hints of change in 2019 to bring us into the early 2020s but on the whole the late 2010s era to me would be 2016 - 2019. I do believe 2016 was transitional but leaned more towards late '10s and there was a transition that started in mid to late 2015 as well. Not only did Trump get on the political scene that year but Trudeau also got elected in Canada and the economy changed and a bunch of other things that separated the mid 2010s feel of 2014. I don't know how people can think 2014 was in anyway similar to 2016, those two years just felt quite different like 2014 and 2012. That's just my opinion though and it could partly be because I'm in Canada and I had a slightly different perspective. Either way change is gradual.

That’s like me saying that 1989 to 1992 was an era. Pop culturalists who love the 80s are going to classify 1989 as an 1980s year and I see where they are coming from. Late 1989 was transitional and leans more towards the early 1990s, but 90s pop cultural institutions like Family Matters, The Little Mermaid, Skidz clothing, and Nirvana’s first album Bleach were introduced. The rest of the 1980s were like 1989 in that 90s things were launched all throughout the months of those years. Another way I look at it is like this — George HW Bush had a good approval rating for all of 1989, whereas in 1990, it fell tremendously. 1989 was not like any year of the early 1990s. The early 90s recession was George HW Bush’s downfall.

I think it is difficult for you to see the connection between 2014 and 2016, because you are ignoring what it was like to live in the mid 2010s. When you only look at what came out of a era, there’s no stop point. Slim95, you decided that 2016 should be a late 2010s year. 2016 was actually the final full year of the mid 2010s.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/30/20 at 6:50 pm

I've noticed a lot of people disagree with me on here about 2016 being the start of the late 2010s, not 2017. I think part of the issue is that change in culture is gradual and so some may see changes earlier than others and that's why there is often disagreements on when an era began by one or two years. I'm guilty of being dogmatic on my opinion about it and I apologize and I can see why it's easy to be dogmatic. I just personally believe the way I do with all my heart but I can see why another person may view another year as a start of a shift because change in general does happen gradually. It's also important to mention I do live in Canada so maybe my perspective could be a little different especially politically and economically speaking. I guess this is why decadeology is banned on this site. Things like that can cause a lot of strife and arguments.

Thanks for your post. I think the disagreements also come with a person's own perspective on the world and how they view the changes. All it takes is understanding.  :)

Written By: Sman12 on 03/30/20 at 7:08 pm

I think it is difficult for you to see the connection between 2014 and 2016, because you are ignoring what it was like to live in the mid 2010s. When you only look at what came out of a era, there’s no stop point. Slim95, you decided that 2016 should be a late 2010s year. 2016 was actually the final full year of the mid 2010s.

And this is what I don't like: hostility.  >:(

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/30/20 at 7:09 pm

Should 2010 be divided from the late 2000s? Should 2013 be seen as a mid 2010s year?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/30/20 at 7:12 pm

And this is what I don't like: hostility.  >:(

Hostility? I wasn’t typing in all caps. I understand that Slim95 sees 2016 as a tipping point, but to call it the start of the late 2010s?  :o

2017 was the first year of the late 2010s. The Trump 2010s began in ‘17.
The first post-2016 year.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/30/20 at 9:31 pm

Hostility? I wasn’t typing in all caps. I understand that Slim95 sees 2016 as a tipping point, but to call it the start of the late 2010s?  :o

2017 was the first year of the late 2010s. The Trump 2010s began in ‘17.
The first post-2016 year.

Yes I do call it the start.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/30/20 at 9:44 pm

How can you even divide an era when you’re going by pop culture moments and nothing else?

For all we know, the 2000s never ended. The 2000s only changed form.

Written By: 2001 on 03/30/20 at 11:26 pm

Should 2010 be divided from the late 2000s? Should 2013 be seen as a mid 2010s year?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PiercingAdmiredAmericanpainthorse-small.gif

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/30/20 at 11:29 pm

No offense dude, but I still think those are pretty weak arguments. It's not about being hostile, when you act high & mighty about your opinions, without ever taking into account other people's opposing opinions, it comes off to me (and I'm sure others) like you are grandstanding. It's a weird victim mentality (in part, in why you probably started this thread), and dude, while I do understand your viewpoint, I still respectfully disagree on how these are reasons to suggest that 2016 as a whole was the start of the Late 2010s.

Like Zelek said, I recognize that 2016 was rather transitional, I wont discard that. Between Brexit and Trump's election happening in one year. However, like what @oldmusicfan said, it doesn't change the fact that Trump BECAME President in January of 2017. Also, I find some of your other arguments about the Late 2010s as somewhat idiosyncratic. Like, even if you genuinely believe that 2016 was holistically Late 2010s, how can you say to me in a straight face that the year 2019; the year of Airpods, Billie Ellish, 'Old Town Road', no teen pop/classic mid (or in your case, 'late') 2010s EDM, hipster fashion dead in the water/Athelisure wear at peak, etc. etc. are culturally in the same era as 2016? Because you have been on the record in saying that

2019 was pretty much exactly the same as 2016 in all ways that matter, it was the same era.

Like no offense, you're insane if you genuinely believe that. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't state that 2016 as a whole was culturally Late 2010s and that everything from January of 2016 to some unidentified point in 2019 or 2020 was all Late 2010s; meaning technically, based off of your own logic, in the midst of this current pandemic, we would be at best be transitioning away culturally from the Late 2010s, meaning at worst that 2016 would be roughly in the same cultural era as the Coronavirus pandemic. You see how crazy that sounds?

So not only is the reasoning behind 2016 being Late 2010s already being pretty contentious by most users, but when mixed in with the disengaged logic in your arguments for the Late 2010s as a whole, it all comes off as grandstanding. You're entitled to your own beliefs, but don't try to force them down to other people's throats and or act like we're the crazy ones for not agreeing with you on how "2016 was the start of the Late 2010s".

Written By: Slim95 on 03/30/20 at 11:35 pm

^2016 was part of the late 2010s era in my opinion, end of story. If you can't accept my opinion don't comment on this thread. Stop acting as if it's a life or death topic. Thanks!

Written By: Slim95 on 03/30/20 at 11:36 pm

No offense dude, but I still think those are pretty weak arguments. It's not about being hostile, when you act high & mighty about your opinions, without ever taking into account other people's opposing opinions, it comes off to me (and I'm sure others) like you are grandstanding. It's a weird victim mentality (in part, in why you probably started this thread), and dude, while I do understand your viewpoint, I still respectfully disagree on how these are reasons to suggest that 2016 as a whole was the start of the Late 2010s.

Like Zelek said, I recognize that 2016 was rather transitional, I wont discard that. Between Brexit and Trump's election happening in one year. However, like what @oldmusicfan said, it doesn't change the fact that Trump BECAME President in January of 2017. Also, I find some of your other arguments about the Late 2010s as somewhat idiosyncratic. Like, even if you genuinely believe that 2016 was holistically Late 2010s, how can you say to me in a straight face that the year 2019; the year of Airpods, Billie Ellish, 'Old Town Road', no teen pop/classic mid (or in your case, 'late') 2010s EDM, hipster fashion dead in the water/Athelisure wear at peak, etc. etc. are culturally in the same era as 2016? Because you have been on the record in saying that

Like no offense, you're insane if you genuinely believe that. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't state that 2016 as a whole was culturally Late 2010s and that everything from January of 2016 to some unidentified point in 2019 or 2020 was all Late 2010s; meaning technically, based off of your own logic, in the midst of this current pandemic, we would be at best be transitioning away culturally from the Late 2010s, meaning at worst that 2016 would be roughly in the same cultural era as the Coronavirus pandemic. You see how crazy that sounds?

So not only is the reasoning behind 2016 being Late 2010s already being pretty contentious by most users, but when mixed in with the disengaged logic in your arguments for the Late 2010s as a whole, it all comes off as grandstanding. You're entitled to your own beliefs, but don't try to force them down to other people's throats and or act like we're the crazy ones for not agreeing with you on how "2016 was the start of the Late 2010s".

And yes 2016 is roughly the same as the flu pandemic era. Last time I checked, everyone whined on this site with how dark 2016 was. This dark vibe clearly didn't go away.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/30/20 at 11:41 pm

^2016 was part of the late 2010s era in my opinion, end of story. If you can't accept my opinion don't comment on this thread. Stop acting as if it's a life or death topic. Thanks!

And who was the one created this thread ???

And yes 2016 is roughly the same as the flu pandemic era. Last time I checked, everyone whined on this site with how dark 2016 was. This dark vibe clearly didn't go away.

You have nothing substantive to say. How exactly is "2016 is roughly the same as the flu pandemic era"?. Also, last time I checked, people b!tched about the entire 2010s decade being dark. But honestly, that all seems like chump change now, based on the things we have been dealing with from the getgo since January of 2020. The Australian wildfires, the escalation towards Iran, the tragic passing of Kobe Bryant, and the Covid19 pandemic, all of those things ALONE already set this decade apart from the 2010s, especially much of the early-mid 2010s.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/30/20 at 11:46 pm

Dont worry Slim, I accept your apology. We all view things in different ways and we all have different opinions. I understand how disagreements can be hard to get by but we all need to handle criticism. I'm sorry for fighting with you with your opinions, and I agree that people dont need to be hostile towards others' opinions. We'll change for the better, and be more open to disagreements and deal with them in a much more smooth way  ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 03/30/20 at 11:52 pm

Dont worry Slim, I accept your apology. We all view things in different ways and we all have different opinions. I understand how disagreements can be hard to get by but we all need to handle criticism. I'm sorry for fighting with you with your opinions, and I agree that people dont need to be hostile towards others' opinions. We'll change for the better, and be more open to disagreements and deal with them in a much more smooth way  ;)

Yeah it's not a life or death issue I don't know why people get so sensitive over it I can see why people may have a different opinion but I'll still hold onto mine.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/31/20 at 12:02 am

Slim, you're entitled to whatever opinion you want, but don't grandstand and have a victim complex for holding them. That is all. You're no martyr, you just have rather unusual opinions on cultural periods. But at the end of the day, I've always been on the record in defending one's ability to speak, so you can continue to speak your mind. Just don't expect everybody to share those same opinions.

Written By: 2001 on 03/31/20 at 12:16 am

If we all just agreed with my opinions there wouldn't be any more problems.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/20 at 3:58 am

During the era of when I was at school pre-July 1975, I found division hard, having to either struggle to work out the mathematical problem in my head first or with pen and paper. Now, in my post-school era, post-September 1975, life has been made easier with the introduction of the calculator, and now in the modern day era, there is a calculator on the phone, something that was never dreamed of back in 1975. At the time back at school in 1975 when exams had been done, but school had not closed for the summer, in the time slot that would had been our maths lesson, our teacher handed out these new fangled calculators to try out, it was then the following year, the calculator was introduced in the classroom.

Oh, those algorithm!

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/31/20 at 8:22 am

I’ve heard people say that 1986 to 1989 was one era and others online believed that 1989 was part of the same era as 1990 to 1992.

2016 set the stage for the late 2010s to happen in the same way 1986 did for the late 1980s and 1989 did for the early 90s.

2015 will be remembered for Donald Trump’s Presidential campaign announcement, but there were still things from the mid 2010s after that which helped to make up the atmosphere to the late 2010s. Imagine the late 2010s without Stranger Things 2 and Stranger Things 3, it wouldn’t be the late 2010s. So, from how I see it, 2016 was the final full year of the mid 2010s.

Written By: mc98 on 03/31/20 at 9:41 am

I understand if people put late 2016 as the start of late 2010s era but I disagree wholeheartedly if they put early 2016 as the start of late 2010s era. Early 2016 was not that different from 2014.

Written By: Sman12 on 03/31/20 at 10:23 am

If we all just agreed with my opinions there wouldn't be any more problems.

All hail the slow poke!  ;)

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/31/20 at 11:18 am

I understand if people put late 2016 as the start of late 2010s era but I disagree wholeheartedly if they put early 2016 as the start of late 2010s era. Early 2016 was not that different from 2014.

How do you explain shows, movies, memes, and books from the Trump 2010s having references to pop culture from 2014 to late 2016?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/31/20 at 11:45 am

Early 2016 to me was also pretty different from 2014. But I agree it was a transitional era but leaned more towards the late '10s for me. Remember Donald Trump was already in the political scene at that time since 2015 even. This was not the case in 2014. In Canada, Harper was still PM but in the start of 2016, Trudeau was. Plus music started to sound different with Justin Bieber's album incorporating EDM beats and stuff. The economy here was pretty bad. Even early 2016 felt quite different from 2014 and on the whole it was more late 2010s.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/31/20 at 11:54 am

I don’t see it, Slim95. 2015 and both early and late 2016 were a part of Obama’s second term despite all of the important events that happened within those years.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/31/20 at 11:57 am

I don’t see it, Slim95. 2015 and both early and late 2016 were a part of Obama’s second term despite all of the important events that happened within those years.

Well I respect your opinion. We can't all agree on everything. Then this website would be boring.  :P

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/31/20 at 12:38 pm

2016 was a little like the late 2010s, but it wasn’t a late 2010s year. 2016 was a prototypical late 2010s year (minus the election and Trudeau becoming PM of Canada, of course).

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/31/20 at 12:47 pm

I dont completely disagree with Slim95, while Early and Mid 2016 was considered Mid 2010s, I saw a shift in the Late 2010s, somewhere around September... Here are the things that happened:

-Second Wave Netflix shows such as Stranger Things premiered, but wasnt complete until Early 2017 when Riverdale and 13 reasons why came
-Mumble Rap starts really taking over Pop music with Lil Yachty, Lil Uzi Vert, Migos, etc.
-Trump's election, obviously
-Music goes for a darker vibe as evident with The Weeknd, Tove Lo, Hailee Steinfeld, etc.
-Vine announces its shutdown around October, and shuts down in January 2017
-Initial Decline of the Hipster movement
-Pewdiepie ends his Brofist Era and moves on for a more meme style

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/31/20 at 1:09 pm

I dont completely disagree with Slim95, while Early and Mid 2016 was considered Mid 2010s, I saw a shift in the Late 2010s, somewhere around September... Here are the things that happened:

-Second Wave Netflix shows such as Stranger Things premiered, but wasnt complete until Early 2017 when Riverdale and 13 reasons why came
-Mumble Rap starts really taking over Pop music with Lil Yachty, Lil Uzi Vert, Migos, etc.
-Trump's election, obviously
-Music goes for a darker vibe as evident with The Weeknd, Tove Lo, Hailee Steinfeld, etc.
-Vine announces its shutdown around October, and shuts down in January 2017
-Initial Decline of the Hipster movement
-Pewdiepie ends his Brofist Era and moves on for a more meme style

Wasn’t Riverdale on The CW? Did you mean Chilling Adventures of Sabrina?

Written By: mc98 on 03/31/20 at 1:13 pm

The production in Justin Bieber's Purpose was more of a late 2015-early 2017 thing. The tropical sound was big in that era. That type of sound was no longer popular by late 2017.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/31/20 at 10:00 pm

And yes 2016 is roughly the same as the flu pandemic era.

https://wompampsupport.azureedge.net/fetchimage?siteId=7575&v=2&jpgQuality=100&width=700&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fentries%2Ficons%2Ffacebook%2F000%2F030%2F414%2Fplant.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/20 at 2:02 am

The problem is that the geologic era is a subdivision of geologic time that divides an eon into smaller units of time. The Phanerozoic Eon is divided into three such time frames: the Paleozoic, Mesozoic, and Cenozoic (meaning "old life", "middle life" and "recent life") that represent the major stages in the macroscopic fossil record.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/01/20 at 8:27 am

The production in Justin Bieber's Purpose was more of a late 2015-early 2017 thing. The tropical sound was big in that era. That type of sound was no longer popular by late 2017.

That's where the confusion is because even though that ended in late 2017, the fact it started late 2015 to me shows it is a late 2010s thing. It sounds nothing like 2014.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/01/20 at 9:10 am

The production in Justin Bieber’s Purpose was a mid to late 2010s thing. Started in the mid 2010s and it was last relevant at the start of the late 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/01/20 at 9:18 am

The production in Justin Bieber’s Purpose was a mid to late 2010s thing. Started in the mid 2010s and it was last relevant at the start of the late 2010s.

To me it's a late 2010s thing but I can see the other side as well for those who think it was part of the mid 2010s and think the late 2010s started late. The problem is I'm not denying there were changes to the sound in 2017 and 2018 but for me if there were any changes they only hinted at early '20s music not late '10s... Late '10s to me started with 2015/2016 that's when I noticed the culture change but people are simply associating that with mid '10s which I guess you can argue that because changes are gradual. But the whole Justin Bieber production EDM tropical sound Donald Trump Pokemon Go era to me is firmly late 2010s, not mid 2010s. Completely different from 2014. The mid 2010s were a very short era, late 2013 to 2015/early 2016ish. Keep in mind also that in 2015, here in Canada we had a new Prime Minister as well as the economy tanking. So that also may be why I believe that as well. But even in terms of music I see it.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/01/20 at 9:46 am

Late 2013 (when more culture was being introduced for the mid 2010s) to early 2016ish (the point of the mid 2010s when we were not even close to the late 2010s). Is late 2016 to early 2019 the early 2020s to you, Slim95?

That's the late 2010s to me.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/01/20 at 10:05 am

To me it's a late 2010s thing but I can see the other side as well for those who think it was part of the mid 2010s and think the late 2010s started late. The problem is I'm not denying there were changes to the sound in 2017 and 2018 but for me if there were any changes they only hinted at early '20s music not late '10s... Late '10s to me started with 2015/2016 that's when I noticed the culture change but people are simply associating that with mid '10s which I guess you can argue that because changes are gradual. But the whole Justin Bieber production EDM tropical sound Donald Trump Pokemon Go era to me is firmly late 2010s, not mid 2010s. Completely different from 2014. The mid 2010s were a very short era, late 2013 to 2015/early 2016ish. Keep in mind also that in 2015, here in Canada we had a new Prime Minister as well as the economy tanking. So that also may be why I believe that as well. But even in terms of music I see it.

For me, I felt the mid-2010s culture declining when social justice warriors and political correctness became huge around the summer of 2016, especially on the Internet. Trump's win in November pretty much put an end to the culture, and the political climate only got more disruptive.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/01/20 at 11:39 am

I wonder if Slim95 would think late 2013 to early 2016 were mid 2010s if he were living in them.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/01/20 at 12:37 pm

I wonder if Slim95 would think late 2013 to early 2016 were mid 2010s if he were living in them.

I was living in it.

Written By: 2001 on 04/01/20 at 10:25 pm

The problem is that the geologic era is a subdivision of geologic time that divides an eon into smaller units of time. The Phanerozoic Eon is divided into three such time frames: the Paleozoic, Mesozoic, and Cenozoic (meaning "old life", "middle life" and "recent life") that represent the major stages in the macroscopic fossil record.

For me anything before 1999 is paleo, everything afterwards is the same.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/20 at 2:32 am

For me anything before 1999 is paleo, everything afterwards is the same.
...high protein, for instance?

Written By: DisneysRetro on 04/02/20 at 3:35 pm

I have to agree with slim here. 2016 just felt different, even late 2015 was starting to become a bit darker but by 2016 it felt like a different era. PC culture was becoming even more forefront during 2016 as people kept coming up with conspiracy theories about Trump and his racist antics. Then the whole MAGA thing came into play around this time as well. The whole ISIS thing of late 2015-2016 was the start of it all imo... If you were an adult in 2016 or maybe even a teenager paying attention to the politics that were happening at the time, it was a lot different than years prior. The news became depressing with the elections going on and all of these racist videos surfacing and going viral. Sure music and culture still had a bit of mid 2010’s sounds lingering on but even music became more darker and trap was pretty big in 2016... 2016 for the most part didn’t  feel mid 2010’s to me tbh. Then again this may be due to my everyday life routine at that time. I was a sophomore in college in 2016. From 2015-2019 I was in college and it seems like my college era was just one big era.

Written By: 2001 on 04/02/20 at 3:40 pm

I have to agree with slim here. 2016 just felt different, even late 2015 was starting to become a bit darker but by 2016 it felt like a different era. PC culture was becoming even more forefront during 2016 as people kept coming up with conspiracy theories about Trump and his racist antics. Then the whole MAGA thing came into play around this time as well. The whole ISIS thing of late 2015-2016 was the start of it all imo... If you were an adult in 2016 or maybe even a teenager paying attention to the politics that were happening at the time, it was a lot different than years prior. The news became depressing with the elections going on and all of these racist videos surfacing and going viral. Sure music and culture still had a bit of mid 2010’s sounds lingering on but even music became more darker and trap was pretty big in 2016... 2016 for the most part didn’t  feel mid 2010’s to me tbh. Then again this may be due to my everyday life routine at that time. I was a sophomore in college in 2016. From 2015-2019 I was in college and it seems like my college era was just one big era.

I noticed that too. When the Charlie Hebdo shooting happened, the Syrian refugee crisis started and Trump announced his candidacy I noticed a change in the mood. Or at least in my mood. 2015 was a lot scarier than 2013/2014. I still like 2015 overall though. 2016 on the other hand can take a hike.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/02/20 at 4:15 pm

But that’s my whole point. If you’re going to claim that 2016 was ‘Late 2010s’ for all of those reasons, you would logically have to include 2015 in that category as well. At the very least, anything from Mid 2015-onwards. SJWs/Alt-Right, Trump/Trudeau, Refugee crisis, and Trap didn’t all just magically appear on January 1st, 2016, these all existed in 2015.

People like to bring up Charlottesville in 2017 as an example of obscene racism in our modern times, but many have unfortunately forgotten that there was a legitimate right-wing terrorist attack on a Southern Black Church in 2015 (I’m not mentioning the perpetrator, he has no respect in my eyes). 2015 set a lot of this sh!t in motion, even if you’re going to claim that the Late 2010s started much earlier than what the general consensus considers, you simply cannot dismiss that.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/02/20 at 4:34 pm

2016 was not only a mid-2010's year, it was the quintessential 2010's year.

Written By: mc98 on 04/02/20 at 4:41 pm

That's where the confusion is because even though that ended in late 2017, the fact it started late 2015 to me shows it is a late 2010s thing. It sounds nothing like 2014.

Late 2015 was numerically and very culturally mid 2010s. Late 2016 and early 2017 was a transitional period where it had qualities of both mid 2010s and late 2010s.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/02/20 at 4:41 pm

True true

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/20 at 4:46 pm

...and a leap year too, adding an extra day to the quintessential 2010's year?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/02/20 at 4:52 pm

The greatest change for the 2010s happened in 2016.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 04/02/20 at 6:00 pm

But that’s my whole point. If you’re going to claim that 2016 was ‘Late 2010s’ for all of those reasons, you would logically have to include 2015 in that category as well. At the very least, anything from Mid 2015-onwards. SJWs/Alt-Right, Trump/Trudeau, Refugee crisis, and Trap didn’t all just magically appear on January 1st, 2016, these all existed in 2015.

People like to bring up Charlottesville in 2017 as an example of obscene racism in our modern times, but many have unfortunately forgotten that there was a legitimate right-wing terrorist attack on a Southern Black Church in 2015 (I’m not mentioning the perpetrator, he has no respect in my eyes). 2015 set a lot of this sh!t in motion, even if you’re going to claim that the Late 2010s started much earlier than what the general consensus considers, you simply cannot dismiss that.

I can see your point. A lot of what was started in late 2015 only proceeded and progressed in 2016 tho. Trap was already starting to become incorporated into music by 2014 and of course mid to late 2015 it was starting to peak out of its shell, but by 2016 it was alive and well... I mean if you look at the  top 100 hip hop hits on the billboard charts for 2016, most of it is trap hip hop and towards the mid to late portion mumble rap became even bigger. In 2015 there was at most two or three trap songs that made it to mainstream success compared to 2016... That’s how every era starts tho, it builds off the progression that was started in the previous era. 2016 felt pretty different from 2014 and even most of 2015 tbh. Trump announced his candidacy in June of 2015 which caused a lot of controversy. In 2016 his campaign amplified it even more and PC culture was also amplified because of it. Artists that we know well of started changing their sounds to keep up with the times in 2016.

It’s similar to the 90’s. Backstreet boys, Nsync, Robyn, Britney, etc. All recorded and even released music in the mid 1990’s around 1995-1996 but didn’t hit mainstream success globally till 1998-1999 in the late 90’s.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 04/02/20 at 6:05 pm

I noticed that too. When the Charlie Hebdo shooting happened, the Syrian refugee crisis started and Trump announced his candidacy I noticed a change in the mood. Or at least in my mood. 2015 was a lot scarier than 2013/2014. I still like 2015 overall though. 2016 on the other hand can take a hike.

Exactly! I felt this too as did many others. Mid to late 2015 was the precursor to what was to come in 2016 onwards. The Paris terrorist attacks also happened in late 2015 on top of all of the controversy surrounding Trump. It was just an overwhelming time and it set the mood for 2016. It’s probably subjective tho because as an adult ai was paying attention to this but a kid who was like 3-12 years old probably didn’t have much of an emotional impact on them because they really didn’t have to worry about politics at the time...

Written By: Sman12 on 04/02/20 at 6:09 pm

I also agree. Identifiable traits about the 2010s, like PC/SJW/woke culture, memes, ISIS, highly volatile politics, eighth-gen gaming, EDM, Vine, and trap, were all present that year.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/20 at 6:16 pm

I don't mind bringing 2015 in. This whole decade was weird in that there were gradual changes so you can choose any year to make the start but the year that makes the most logical sense is 2016 for me. And you can even split the decade in half and say there were two eras. By the way I didn't appreciate the hatred you showed in your first couple posts to me and accusing me of playing the victim. I never did anything to you ever no matter how much I disagreed with you I never made it personal. Very shallow move.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/20 at 6:17 pm

I thought you thought 2016 was transitional? It's not a mid 2010s year if it's transitional... 2016 is a late 2010s year on the whole. 2016 isn't a mid 2010s year.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/20 at 6:20 pm

I also agree. Identifiable traits about the 2010s, like PC/SJW/woke culture, memes, ISIS, highly volatile politics, eighth-gen gaming, EDM, Vine, and trap, were all present that year.

I think any year of the 2010s can be considered "quintessential" because every year defined the decade on the whole very well. I can look back at 2017 and think it's very 2010s just as I can look back at 2011 and think it's very 2010s haha. They both have 2010s character despite being pretty different.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/02/20 at 8:57 pm

I also remember a lot of that stuff creeping in mid-late 2014, maybe cause I'm on the Internet a lot. That's when Gamergate happened, the SJW/alt right paradigm was beginning, and "post-ironic" memes like Filthy Frank started (this one wasn't political like the rest).

Written By: Sman12 on 04/02/20 at 9:33 pm

I also remember a lot of that stuff creeping in mid-late 2014, maybe cause I'm on the Internet a lot. That's when Gamergate happened, the SJW/alt right paradigm was beginning, and "post-ironic" memes like Filthy Frank started (this one wasn't political like the rest).

I also remember those post-ironic memes around early 2015, especially the MLG/Dank memes that were popping around the time. They were a major component of the evolution of internet memes.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/416/493/e18

You can't get more mid-2010s than that. ^

Written By: mc98 on 04/02/20 at 9:41 pm

I also remember those post-ironic memes around early 2015, especially the MLG/Dank memes that were popping around the time. They were a major component of the evolution of internet memes.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/416/493/e18

You can't get more mid-2010s than that. ^

MLG memes were everywhere in late 2014-2016, same thing with Filthy Frank ;D

Written By: Slashpop on 04/04/20 at 4:50 pm

In late 2014/2015 Hipster culture was just starting to tone down and feel passé around then and 2013-2014 still had some amount of early 2010s vibes and culture, while 2014-2015 barely did.

Check for new replies or respond here...