inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Maybe it's just me, but tech hasn't really changed much from 2010-2020

Written By: Wink-182 on 03/31/20 at 5:03 pm

I mean, there's some stuff like 3D printing and advanced smart phones and 4k TVs and the rise of Social Media. But besides that that's really about it. I know for a fact we haven't hit a wall in technology, but things really haven't changed much in the last ten years tech wise.

Subject: Re: Maybe it's just me, but tech hasn't really changed much from 2010-2020

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/31/20 at 5:20 pm

Tech that was popular in 2010:
https://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iphone-4-pricing2.jpg
https://media.mnn.com/assets/images/2010/10/Android-PhonesMAIN.jpg.560x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg
https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/ipod/ipodnano/ipod-nano-4th-gen.png

Tech that was popular in 2019:
https://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/apple-iphone-xs-max-hands-on-0-1-1280x720.jpg
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/slideshow/3265117/best_android_phone_thumb1200_4-3.jpg
https://www.mytrendyphone.eu/images/Apple-AirPods-2-with-Wireless-Charging-Case-MRXJ2ZM-A-White-21032019-01-p.jpg

It's crazy how much has advanced.

Subject: Re: Maybe it's just me, but tech hasn't really changed much from 2010-2020

Written By: Sman12 on 03/31/20 at 5:40 pm

I agree that almost everything in technology from the 2010s is an enhancement of what was already created in the past. Electronics such as social media, Bluetooth, YouTube, smartphones, and HDTVs had their popular start from the 2000s.

But there were some innovations from the last decade like virtual assistants, cloud computing, cryptocurrency, and streaming media.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/01/20 at 12:37 am

Yeah, there are lots of tech innovations during that decade...

First off, smartphones. In 2010, you had a 3.5" iPhone 4 which was pretty advanced for it's time, nowadays it's a different story. Phones are much more powerful which is no surprise, but we now have Bezel-less iPhone X or 11 models, Samsung has been doing this since 2017 too with Galaxy S8, along with other smartphone companies. But with personal life, there have been changes, in 2013, iOS 7 was released with the new control center, and with it, we can share photos through Airdrop, but also have a flashlight that replaces the traditional flashlights we usually use. Cameras have changed a huge deal. In the Early 2010s, lots of people still have those traditional cameras from Nikon, Sony, Canon, etc. But with smartphones now having decent cameras, people find it pointless to use the traditional cameras unless you're a content creator or photographer who really needs the extra pixels. It also replaced traditional GPS's from Garmin or Magellan with Google Maps or Apple Maps, it's like everything in one little kit. Another thing is convenience, the last time I saw anybody use a flip phone or candy bar phone was in 2013, and with smartphones, typing is made faster instead of having to go through the mechanical keyboards of the older phones.

For the things we have in 2019/2020 compared to 2010, we have Virtual Reality, Hoverboards, Drones, External Voice assistants like Google Home, and Smartwatches, which lots of em have impacts on daily lives. We also now have smart lights, light bulbs that connect to wifi, and LED strips. You can control them through your phone or home assistant, even change the color  :o Coca Cola freestyle smart machines are also replacing traditional vending machines.

Next up we have computers, and this can be confusing to a lot of people but I decided to add it anyway. Actually nothing much has changed in processing power surprisingly. Intel released their I Series processors with i3, i5, and i7, and comparing an i7 processor from 2011 to an i7 processor from 2019 is actually not that massive of an improvement. AMD is the only exception, they have improved a lot. Graphics cards are a different story, but it's no surprise that newer cards are faster. But if we talk about operating systems, in the Early 2010s, you had Windows 7, now we have Windows 10. Laptops have grown thinner in size and have more power to offer, using a laptop from 2011 will not pass in 2020, not even daily tasks.

Gaming has improved a huge deal. In 2011, you still had Xbox 360s and PS3's, and the microphones used by those toxic idiots are trash by today's standards, which is why newer headsets are introduced with far more clear sounds. Kinect was a thing, not anymore. You now have PS4's and Xbox One's, the gaming experience is a whole lot different. One innovation though is the Nintendo switch, you can use it as a handheld device, or connect it to your TV, pretty cool!

Lastly, we have screens. In 2011, you would have a thick 720p monitor, or 1080p TV if you're rich, but lots of people still use them surprisingly. You also might've had a CRT monitor still, not anymore. TV's are now more bezel-less, and resolutions are much higher, along with colors and HDR. 4K TV's are the norm, and 1080p monitors have taken over 720p. Still, if you have a TV from 2011, it's still likely usable!

Written By: mqg96 on 04/01/20 at 2:27 am

Compare the tech in 2000 to the tech in 2010, you'll see a much more significant jump that doesn't even compare to the jump from 2010 to 2020.

Now I would argue, with the way the tone has been set for the 2020's with all this craziness, don't be surprised if the tech jump from 2020 to 2030 is bigger than 2010 to 2020. I would not be surprised at all at this point.

Written By: Dundee on 04/01/20 at 6:13 am

Phones in 2010 were nowhere near capable of doing what they're doing now: voice assistance, finger print and facial recognition, ticket scanning and payment, cloud storage, internet of things, ... Even basic stuff like muti-tasking, clipboard and a decent quality camera were all extremely primitive on phones (or even non-existent) in 2010. Phones are so well performing nowadays that you could easily live without a PC, something that was unthinkable back in 2010.

Just because the outside design wasn't completely revamped like it did in the 2000s doesn't really mean much. It's like saying how 90s computers haven't changed much from 80s ones just because the beige boxy design was still extremely common.

Written By: GameXcaper on 04/01/20 at 8:38 am

While technology has definitely changed, it is nothing compared to the 2000s. Don't try and argue with me, you know this is true.

In 2000, most phones were still black and white, throughout the decade other technology became prevalent such as front and back cameras, qwerty keyboards in stead of number pads, higher resolution screens, touchscreens, sliding keyboards, 3G. Meanwhile, the jump from 2010 to 2019 was just a jump from an early more primitive smartphone to a more advanced smartphone.

The features may have become more advanced and user friendly in the 2010s, but the main hardware changes occurred in the 2000s and late 90s. People still had smartphones at the beginning of 2010, along with some flip phones, and slide phones, along with black berry style phones, now everyone has a smartphone. While in the 2000s everyone started off with cell phones with limited abilities and the decade ended with smartphones.

On top of that, phones in the 2000s were called cellphones/mobiles, now they are called smartphones. In the 2000s, cellphones went from being phones to pocket computers, this decade they went from being pocket computers to better pocket computers. Most of the defining/important features you have on your smartphones now (Aside from baseless screens, multiple back cameras, curved screens etc) were already there before 2010. Internet access was already there from the start.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/01/20 at 9:38 am

Compare the tech in 2000 to the tech in 2010, you'll see a much more significant jump that doesn't even compare to the jump from 2010 to 2020.

Now I would argue, with the way the tone has been set for the 2020's with all this craziness, don't be surprised if the tech jump from 2020 to 2030 is bigger than 2010 to 2020. I would not be surprised at all at this point.

Whoa, that's a huge text.  :o

But anyways, I wouldn't be surprised as well if technological innovations are more radical this decade than the 2010s. Remote learning, telemedicine, and group-chatting is obviously huge right now, and I think they'll be utilized more often.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/01/20 at 11:38 pm

While technology has definitely changed, it is nothing compared to the 2000s. Don't try and argue with me, you know this is true.

In 2000, most phones were still black and white, throughout the decade other technology became prevalent such as front and back cameras, qwerty keyboards in stead of number pads, higher resolution screens, touchscreens, sliding keyboards, 3G. Meanwhile, the jump from 2010 to 2019 was just a jump from an early more primitive smartphone to a more advanced smartphone.

The features may have become more advanced and user friendly in the 2010s, but the main hardware changes occurred in the 2000s and late 90s. People still had smartphones at the beginning of 2010, along with some flip phones, and slide phones, along with black berry style phones, now everyone has a smartphone. While in the 2000s everyone started off with cell phones with limited abilities and the decade ended with smartphones.

On top of that, phones in the 2000s were called cellphones/mobiles, now they are called smartphones. In the 2000s, cellphones went from being phones to pocket computers, this decade they went from being pocket computers to better pocket computers. Most of the defining/important features you have on your smartphones now (Aside from baseless screens, multiple back cameras, curved screens etc) were already there before 2010. Internet access was already there from the start.

Not to mention the fact that a major swath of the population didn't even own "mobile" phones in 2000. The threshold for Americans owning cell phones didn't even hit 50% until 2001. So to go from a world where many Americans still solely used landlines and maybe some  Americans in more managerial/professional fields had pagers or "mobile" phones (with very simplistic designs and black n' white color palettes), to a world where a sheer majority of Americans owned cell phones (including some children in many regards) with a wide variety of variations of form factors, texting capabilities, online browsers, etc. etc. and smartphones beginning to become somewhat accessible to most people, the differences are just night and day.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/01/20 at 11:44 pm

To illustrate my point; the 2000s decade was just much more rapid in succession on how technology was developed and even adopted by the masses.

Going from this

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/FyBRjj4z9IazmXFNBRjTpQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTY0MDtoPTQ4MC40NTU4NDA0NTU4NDA1/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/8Gg16kNfsA0cMMzRA8_63g--~B/aD01Mjc7dz03MDI7c209MTthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-AU/homerun/y7.businessinsider/b49c68da2dd04a1e32680b321242932f

To this
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Technology/Pix/pictures/2011/4/20/1303302982172/iphone-tracking-007.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&overlay-align=bottom%2Cleft&overlay-width=100p&overlay-base64=L2ltZy9zdGF0aWMvb3ZlcmxheXMvdGctYWdlLTIwMTEucG5n&enable=upscale&s=34627137fa43c828e430f9ebe16892c6

Written By: 2001 on 04/02/20 at 12:32 am

Phones in 2010 were nowhere near capable of doing what they're doing now: voice assistance, finger print and facial recognition, ticket scanning and payment, cloud storage, internet of things, ... Even basic stuff like muti-tasking, clipboard and a decent quality camera were all extremely primitive on phones (or even non-existent) in 2010. Phones are so well performing nowadays that you could easily live without a PC, something that was unthinkable back in 2010.

Just because the outside design wasn't completely revamped like it did in the 2000s doesn't really mean much. It's like saying how 90s computers haven't changed much from 80s ones just because the beige boxy design was still extremely common.

You can say that again. I tried to edit an excel sheet on my iPod Touch in 2010 and the thing was making shrieking noises, overheated like it was about to catch fire any second and eventually gave up and died. Just one fricken cell on an Excel sheet. Phones in 2010 had 256MB RAM compared to 8GB RAM that phones have today (which is more than your average COMPUTER had as late as 2015) and people try to act like they're the same thing lol.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/02/20 at 1:57 am

You can say that again. I tried to edit an excel sheet on my iPod Touch in 2010 and the thing was making shrieking noises, overheated like it was about to catch fire any second and eventually gave up and died. Just one fricken cell on an Excel sheet. Phones in 2010 had 256MB RAM compared to 8GB RAM that phones have today (which is more than your average COMPUTER had as late as 2015) and people try to act like they're the same thing lol.
Yeah, I remember when I had my iPhone 3GS having 256MB RAM... Crazy how technology changes quickly. Also, computers used to have 4GB of RAM, now its 16GB, just like in my PC I'm typing this comment on.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/20 at 9:01 am

Yes it has. Just not as much as in the '90s and '00s. But those decades brought in the popularity of the internet so it's not a fair comparison, it will be a long time until another invention becomes greater than the internet/web.

The 2010s brought VR, AR, fast processing in smartphones/computers, flexible displays (2019), high resolution displays, drones, 3D printing, fingerprint sensors, streaming, retina scanners, smart homes and smart speakers, AI, automated vehicles, and more... These things were a pipe dream in the 2000s. Try using a smartphone from 2010 then try to say again that tech hasn't changed.  ;D The early to mid 2010s especially brought forth huge technological change. Tech advancements have only been slow since 2016 (the rise of populist fascism around the world could have played a role in that).

Written By: Sman12 on 04/02/20 at 10:57 am

Yeah, there are lots of tech innovations during that decade...

First off, smartphones. In 2010, you had a 3.5" iPhone 4 which was pretty advanced for it's time, nowadays it's a different story. Phones are much more powerful which is no surprise, but we now have Bezel-less iPhone X or 11 models, Samsung has been doing this since 2017 too with Galaxy S8, along with other smartphone companies. But with personal life, there have been changes, in 2013, iOS 7 was released with the new control center, and with it, we can share photos through Airdrop, but also have a flashlight that replaces the traditional flashlights we usually use. Cameras have changed a huge deal. In the Early 2010s, lots of people still have those traditional cameras from Nikon, Sony, Canon, etc. But with smartphones now having decent cameras, people find it pointless to use the traditional cameras unless you're a content creator or photographer who really needs the extra pixels. It also replaced traditional GPS's from Garmin or Magellan with Google Maps or Apple Maps, it's like everything in one little kit. Another thing is convenience, the last time I saw anybody use a flip phone or candy bar phone was in 2013, and with smartphones, typing is made faster instead of having to go through the mechanical keyboards of the older phones.

For the things we have in 2019/2020 compared to 2010, we have Virtual Reality, Hoverboards, Drones, External Voice assistants like Google Home, and Smartwatches, which lots of em have impacts on daily lives. We also now have smart lights, light bulbs that connect to wifi, and LED strips. You can control them through your phone or home assistant, even change the color  :o Coca Cola freestyle smart machines are also replacing traditional vending machines.

Next up we have computers, and this can be confusing to a lot of people but I decided to add it anyway. Actually nothing much has changed in processing power surprisingly. Intel released their I Series processors with i3, i5, and i7, and comparing an i7 processor from 2011 to an i7 processor from 2019 is actually not that massive of an improvement. AMD is the only exception, they have improved a lot. Graphics cards are a different story, but it's no surprise that newer cards are faster. But if we talk about operating systems, in the Early 2010s, you had Windows 7, now we have Windows 10. Laptops have grown thinner in size and have more power to offer, using a laptop from 2011 will not pass in 2020, not even daily tasks.

Gaming has improved a huge deal. In 2011, you still had Xbox 360s and PS3's, and the microphones used by those toxic idiots are trash by today's standards, which is why newer headsets are introduced with far more clear sounds. Kinect was a thing, not anymore. You now have PS4's and Xbox One's, the gaming experience is a whole lot different. One innovation though is the Nintendo switch, you can use it as a handheld device, or connect it to your TV, pretty cool!

Lastly, we have screens. In 2011, you would have a thick 720p monitor, or 1080p TV if you're rich, but lots of people still use them surprisingly. You also might've had a CRT monitor still, not anymore. TV's are now more bezel-less, and resolutions are much higher, along with colors and HDR. 4K TV's are the norm, and 1080p monitors have taken over 720p. Still, if you have a TV from 2011, it's still likely usable!

My brother actually has a small 1080p LCD HDTV from 2012, so I can definitely confirm.

Written By: Wink-182 on 04/02/20 at 1:38 pm

Haha, I did give credit with the smartphones and the TVs and 3D Printing so it's not like I didn't realize that. But besides the computers and the Alexa like devices I can't really see much else different. I'm pretty sure things will be different during this decade, but the 2010s as a whole didn't really have huge technological advancements like we did in the previous decades, since most of it was just built up on things we had from the 2000s. CDs are slowly becoming a thing of the past, so there's that too when I think about it. I guess it's all more subtle now than it was back then.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/20 at 1:43 pm

CDs are slowly becoming a thing of the past, so there's that too when I think about it. I guess it's all more subtle now than it was back then.

CDs have been a thing of the past for a long time since like the early 2010s. Nobody uses those anymore. Not only that but fewer people are using the medium that came after as well, digital downloading. It's all about streaming now. Even digital downloads are almost dead (I say almost because I still do it and prefer it to streaming and I also like having ownership). In reality CDs are on the same level as cassette tapes now.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/20 at 1:48 pm

I believe technology has changed a lot this decade. What hasn't changed dramatically in my eyes at least is pop culture, music, and fashion. But for technology I can notice a lot of differences compared to 2010. Just not as much as the 2000s had but again not a fair comparison because the internet changed everything.

I firmly believe the 2010s decade had way more technological changes than the 1980s decade has had. From what I know about the 1980s at least. Someone who lived in that decade can confirm that for me.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 04/02/20 at 2:15 pm

I voted kinda but not much. I can easily take my moms iphone 3gs, update it and do practically everything I do now on my phone with it. Listen to music, go on instagram, check emails, make calls, etc. all the basics plus more. Sure the camera quality would suck, facetime is a no and front facing camera would be out of the question although these changes are so minor rather than monumental considering the phone practically operates the same way my phone does now. I could use a 2010 samsung smart tv the same way I use my 2018 smart tv as well. Yes there has been minor To moderate changes in tech but I wouldn’t consider them to be huge changes.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 04/02/20 at 2:22 pm

I agree, in 2000 most cell phones were still built with analog technology... in 2010 Every cell phone was digital and practically touchscreen. In 2000-2004 we predominantly accessed internet through dial up modems and in 2005+ broadband became the dominant source in how we accessed internet by 2010 it was WAY more accessible to access internet in the palm of your hand.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/30/20 at 9:48 am

All the talks about 2010's were relatively stagnant technologically compared to 2000's, but...

Have you thought about what would happen had COVID-19 happened 10 years earlier?

I mean... Imagine  social distancing, online classes (zoom equivalent) etc. using 2010 technology...

(I might be biased since I don't live in a first world country)

I think technological advances will accelerate if that were to happen in 2010. Online classes and classrooms will probably be used more often if kids were out sick or absent. Telemedicine and working from home would probably be more commonplace.

But considering that some countries were still in a recession from that time, I'm not sure that the world would be economically stable due to most people not working because of the virus.

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/20 at 4:15 pm

All the talks about 2010's were relatively stagnant technologically compared to 2000's, but...

Have you thought about what would happen had COVID-19 happened 10 years earlier?

I mean... Imagine  social distancing, online classes (zoom equivalent) etc. using 2010 technology...

It would have been impossible. I live in a country with Top #5 internet infrastructure and even back then (2010) I had 60GB bandwidth cap ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/20 at 4:19 pm

I mean, there's some stuff like 3D printing and advanced smart phones and 4k TVs and the rise of Social Media. But besides that that's really about it. I know for a fact we haven't hit a wall in technology, but things really haven't changed much in the last ten years tech wise.
It's only you. there has been a mega change to tech over the duration of ten years.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/30/20 at 9:47 pm

To illustrate my point; the 2000s decade was just much more rapid in succession on how technology was developed and even adopted by the masses.

Going from this

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/FyBRjj4z9IazmXFNBRjTpQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTY0MDtoPTQ4MC40NTU4NDA0NTU4NDA1/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/8Gg16kNfsA0cMMzRA8_63g--~B/aD01Mjc7dz03MDI7c209MTthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-AU/homerun/y7.businessinsider/b49c68da2dd04a1e32680b321242932f

To this
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Technology/Pix/pictures/2011/4/20/1303302982172/iphone-tracking-007.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&overlay-align=bottom%2Cleft&overlay-width=100p&overlay-base64=L2ltZy9zdGF0aWMvb3ZlcmxheXMvdGctYWdlLTIwMTEucG5n&enable=upscale&s=34627137fa43c828e430f9ebe16892c6

And in between was flip phones.

Written By: Dundee on 05/01/20 at 7:45 am

I think technological advances will accelerate if that were to happen in 2010. Online classes and classrooms will probably be used more often if kids were out sick or absent.

To think we still had MSN Messenger in 2010 with its glitchy and horrible videocalling service :o
https://blog.lesoir.be/wp-content/uploads/sites/58/2013/04/msn.jpg

Between this, Skype being similarly primitive and not widespread yet and Facetime still not existing, online classes would have been a huge hassle in 2010.

Written By: Dundee on 05/01/20 at 7:52 am

Going from this

To this

Phone booths were already declining well into 1990s. I remember the last few ones in the mid-00s and thinking how they were primitive and silly ;D

More accurately in the 2000s, we went from this:
https://img.static-rmg.be/a/view/q100/w/h450/1502352/ericsson-t20s.jpg

to this:
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/b1/8f/01/b18f019ec3fe9cf353fad04165e115cf.jpg

Written By: Sman12 on 05/01/20 at 8:59 am

To think we still had MSN Messenger in 2010 with its glitchy and horrible videocalling service :o

Between this, Skype being similarly primitive and not widespread yet and Facetime still not existing, online classes would have been a huge hassle in 2010.

I see. Then I guess some students would go online and do their school subjects on a website like Khan Academy or something else like that.

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/01/20 at 10:14 am

It would have been impossible. I live in a country with Top #5 internet infrastructure and even back then (2010) I had 60GB bandwidth cap ;D

Video calling just wasn’t as big in 2010 either. If coronavirus happened 10 years ago, it would have been harder to stay at home. I think that’s one big difference between 2010 and now - you can do everything from home now, but even by 2010 that wasn’t the case. Even online shopping wasn’t as big as it is now.

The 2000s were incredibly transformative technologically which can make the 2010s look slow-paced by comparison, but quite a lot has changed when you really think about it, particularly tech proliferation. Only a quarter of the population used smartphones in 2010; just because technology exists doesn’t mean it’s widely used, much like the internet in 1995 or DVDs in 2000. When talking about technology in specific decades, we need to keep in mind how widespread it was rather than just its existence.

Written By: wixness on 05/01/20 at 10:27 am

Most of it is in the form of DRM, UX and AI these days. I think people care less about fancy hardware features now.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/01/20 at 10:47 am

The 2000s were incredibly transformative technologically which can make the 2010s look slow-paced by comparison, but quite a lot has changed when you really think about it, particularly tech proliferation. Only a quarter of the population used smartphones in 2010; just because technology exists doesn’t mean it’s widely used, much like the internet in 1995 or DVDs in 2000. When talking about technology in specific decades, we need to keep in mind how widespread it was rather than just its existence.

That's actually true.  I've actually seen more feature phones from 2007 up to 2012. I remember 2013 being the first year where I've seen more touch-screen smartphones than flip phones or sliders.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/01/20 at 11:28 am

We had the technology available in 2010, it's just more advanced now. But well before 2010 Skype was being used by many people. But the tech is more advanced now you can just use Zoom and use your phone and it's easier to have a good video connection now. Same as online shopping, a lot more convenient now.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/01/20 at 11:30 am

Dude MSM Messenger died waayy before 2010. I remember memes in the late 2000s about MSN how it was an early 2000s thing and in 2010 people were nostalgic about MSN Messenger. It definitely died and wasn't popular anymore in 2010.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/01/20 at 11:33 am

A lot of people are making 2010 more primitive than it actually was. If you were rich in 2010 you would be able to live a similar life as an average person does in 2020 tech-wise. Yes the specs themselves are way more advanced today but it's not like 2010 was the stone ages lol. The internet of things was booming even in 2010.

Written By: 2001 on 05/01/20 at 3:17 pm

Dude MSM Messenger died waayy before 2010. I remember memes in the late 2000s about MSN how it was an early 2000s thing and in 2010 people were nostalgic about MSN Messenger. It definitely died and wasn't popular anymore in 2010.

Wut. I was still exchanging MSN emails for school projects in 2010. Although I agree it was on its last legs by then, but it was still popping in 2008/2009 as my many emails with "X messaged you while you were offline" emails can attest.

Written By: Howard on 05/01/20 at 4:07 pm

If the virus had happened in 2000, things might have been a bit different.

Written By: Howard on 05/01/20 at 4:08 pm

And I think we also had chatrooms too.

Written By: Howard on 05/01/20 at 4:10 pm

Slim, what would we have been doing as far as chatting with people was concerned?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/02/20 at 9:32 pm

It depends on where you're from... In my hometown, non-touchscreen Blackberry phones were still pretty mainstream in 2011-12.

Yeah they were popular here too. I guess you're right there were some significant changes but at the same time many of things they had we have today.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/03/20 at 1:23 pm

If the virus had happened in 2000, things might have been a bit different.

Things would've been vastly different and even harder. People didn't have stable video chatting or touch-screen smartphones or real-time information from the Internet unlike now. They had to rely on newspapers, TV, some Internet news sites (but not as much as now), and the radio.

Written By: Howard on 05/04/20 at 4:15 am

Things would've been vastly different and even harder. People didn't have stable video chatting or touch-screen smartphones or real-time information from the Internet unlike now. They had to rely on newspapers, TV, some Internet news sites (but not as much as now), and the radio.

Now we have everything with a snap of a finger, so quick and easy.

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/20 at 3:54 pm

Now we have everything with a snap of a finger, so quick and easy.

Snapping fingers is too much effort, I use voice commands. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...