inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you consider 2017 to be a core 2010's year?

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/30/20 at 3:21 pm

Even though 2017 was very transitional, I still think of it as belonging to the core 2010's. It's obviously a different era from 2014/2015, but it was definitely still part of the 2010's cultural era IMO.

Subject: Re: Do you consider 2017 to be a core 2010's year?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/20 at 3:45 pm

2017 doesn't feel like a 2010s year. It's not a main character in this movie, just a uncredited appearance.

Written By: mc98 on 04/30/20 at 4:08 pm

Yes, it was the last full year without TikTok.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/20 at 4:14 pm

"TikTok" is a 1983 science fiction novel by John Sladek. It received a 1983 British Science Fiction Association Award.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/30/20 at 4:16 pm

Would you also consider the 2017-2018 school year to be core 2010's since it was the last full school year before TikTok?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/20 at 4:17 pm

Did you use TikTok at school?

Written By: mc98 on 04/30/20 at 4:21 pm

Would you also consider the 2017-2018 school year to be core 2010's since it was the last full school year before TikTok?

Maybe but not much because many core 2010s trends were starting to vanish by that period. Fortnite and Soundcloud/emo rap were anything but core 2010s.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 04/30/20 at 7:09 pm

Nah, Trump was president but, the no Tik Tok argument is very valid though.

Written By: wixness on 04/30/20 at 7:35 pm

With regards to TikTok I could argue it's kind of an evolution of Snapchat.
Aside from the different politics it's still a 2010s year literally and culturally, but then again I speak as someone who pretty much has disdain for much of this decade.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/30/20 at 8:36 pm

Honestly, no. Late 2013 to late 2016 would be more in line with the core 2010s identity, imo. Alt-pop, maximalist trap/hip-hop, Vine, flat design, teen pop, EDM, MLG memes, and self-balancing scooters also known as "hoverboards" are the things that I associate the era with.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/30/20 at 9:29 pm

Yes

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/01/20 at 8:06 am

Even though 2017 was very transitional, I still think of it as belonging to the core 2010's. It's obviously a different era from 2014/2015, but it was definitely still part of the 2010's cultural era IMO.

I put it together with 2018 and 2019 than with 2014/15 or even 2016 for that matter.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/01/20 at 8:49 am

I put it together with 2018 and 2019 than with 2014/15 or even 2016 for that matter.

Exactly. 2017 with its fidget spinners, burgeoning emo trap, reggaeton, reactionary political climate, and deep-fried memes is more late 2010s than mid.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 05/01/20 at 5:22 pm

Exactly. 2017 with its fidget spinners, burgeoning emo trap, reggaeton, reactionary political climate, and deep-fried memes is more late 2010s than mid.

?

Core =/= mid 2010s though.

Written By: Dundee on 05/01/20 at 8:47 pm

I don't care. At least 2017 was a billion times better than this sheesh, horrible year.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/02/20 at 9:33 am

?

Core =/= mid 2010s though.

So, what are the core 2010s to you, then?
Because I thought "core" means the central part of something.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/20 at 9:56 am

So, what are the core 2010s to you, then?
Because I thought "core" means the central part of something.

Mid-2010’s would be 2014-2016, but the core 2010s could be 2013-2017. Core is just the most defining part of the decade. It doesn’t always have to be just the mid-2010’s.

“Mid” is more objective, while “core” is subjective.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/02/20 at 10:27 am

Mid-2010’s would be 2014-2016, but the core 2010s could be 2013-2017. Core is just the most defining part of the decade. It doesn’t always have to be just the mid-2010’s.

“Mid” is more objective, while “core” is subjective.

Ah, gotcha. Then 2016 would be my pick for the most defining year of the decade.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/05/20 at 10:04 pm

Yes. It felt like the last full year of the core 10s.

Written By: mc98 on 05/07/20 at 2:35 pm

2016-2017 would be the last full core 2010s school year imo. There were a decent amount of core trends in 2017-2018, but you can tell that the year felt different from the rest of the 2010s since it was the first full "Trump" year. In 2018-2019, it was surefire that we were out of the core 2010s for good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 2:42 pm

A core is defined as the centre, as in the core of an apple, so a core year will be a middle year of the 2010s, therefore 2014 or 2015.

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/07/20 at 3:01 pm

A core is defined as the centre, as in the core of an apple, so a core year will be a middle year of the 2010s, therefore 2014 or 2015.

December 2014 to January 2015 is the core of the 2010s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 3:02 pm

December 2014 to January 2015 is the core of the 2010s.
O0

Written By: Sman12 on 05/09/20 at 8:05 am

Now that I know what "core" means in a cultural sense, then 2017 did have some core elements, but they were dying out. EDM trap was on its way out in favor of emo, mumble, and minimalist trap. Vine shut down in January of that year, making Snapchat, musical.ly, and Instagram the most prominent apps used by teenagers. EDM was still popular, but it wasn't as dominant as it used to be.

To me, 2017 was the start of the late 2010s culture.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/09/20 at 10:13 am

Now that I know what "core" means in a cultural sense, then 2017 did have some core elements, but they were dying out. EDM trap was on its way out in favor of emo, mumble, and minimalist trap. Vine shut down in January of that year, making Snapchat, musical.ly, and Instagram the most prominent apps used by teenagers. EDM was still popular, but it wasn't as dominant as it used to be.

To me, 2017 was the start of the late 2010s culture.

Most of those apps you listed were also popular in the core 2010’s though. For example, Instagram, Musical.ly, and Snapchat were all popular in 2015 and 2016 as well.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 05/09/20 at 12:31 pm

I feel tempted to answer this in detail like I usually do but I fear that people are gonna call me overreptitive for it...  :-\\ Would you guys be ok if I can explain my answer one more time?

Written By: mc98 on 05/09/20 at 12:33 pm

I feel tempted to answer this in detail like I usually do but I fear that people are gonna call me overreptitive for it...  :-\\ Would you guys be ok if I can explain my answer one more time?

I would say go for it.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/09/20 at 1:02 pm

Most of those apps you listed were also popular in the core 2010’s though. For example, Instagram, Musical.ly, and Snapchat were all popular in 2015 and 2016 as well.

True, but the apps still don't make 2017 a full-on core year imo. Heck, they were also popular in 2018 and 2019, and those were definite late 2010s years.

But like I said, 2017 did have some core elements, and those apps were among them.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/09/20 at 3:12 pm

Yes, in fact I actually like answers that are more in detail.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/09/20 at 3:48 pm

Your analyses are usually in-depth, which I really like. So sure.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 05/09/20 at 5:51 pm

OK thanks guys  :)

So if we talk about 2017 being part of the Core 2010s, yes, 2017 is the last full year for that, although it is vaguely newer from the Mid 2010s. Again, Mid 2010s =/= Core 2010s.

One of the things that stand out are politics, the US government took a controversial turn with Trumps election. But politics aside, there were quite some interesting changes in 2017 that are worth pointing out.

Musically, things were very diverse but also controversial. Trap music evolved even bigger. Emo rap had its breakthrough Early or Midway through the year with XXXTentacion and Lil Peep, while mumble rap on the other hand is dominating the hip hop charts with Lil Pump, 21 Savage, Migos, etc. It wasn't all mumble rap however, you had Kendrick Lamar and Amine, along with Cardi B's breakthrough late that year. With pop, Core 2010s artists like Shawn Mendes, Ed Sheeran, Ariana Grande, etc. Remained as megastars, but Ed Sheeran takes a more dance-hall turn to his music letting go of the typical ballads/stringed R&B he did in the Mid 2010s. Because of One Direction's separation, Zayn and Harry Styles both went solo in 2016, which later continued on. Pop music still had that upbeat sound thanks to Pop Rock, Bubblegum Pop, EDM, and most notably, Latin Pop which was at its peak late that year thanks to Despacito and Mi Gente. Drake as usual, kept his typical R&B/Rap music ongoing. Imagine Dragons remained popular this year. Post Malone has also been making things darker, which declassified his One hit wonder status. EDM, while not as dominant from previous years, remained very relevant although The Chainsmokers were rapidly losing popularity midway. Future Bass was still ongoing thanks to Zedd, Chainsmokers, along with Marshmello, but Calvin Harris was leaning more on the tropical side of things. Overall, 2017 had lots of changes incoming thanks to Darker Trap music and Latin Pop, but its still very Core 2010s nonetheless.

When it comes to Television, 2017 had lots of darker changes, some for the better, some for the worse. Most notably, the Netflix scene. Lots of shows such as House of Cards, Orange Is the new Black, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt were slowly losing popularity in favor of newer shows such as 13 Reasons Why, Stranger Things, and Riverdale. However, shows like Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead were still in their golden age, though newer shows like Young Sheldon and Good Doctor were gaining steam. Doctor Who revealed their 13th doctor, which is a female actress Jodie Whittaker. In movies, the MCU was still in its prime as the effects of Infinity War still haven't taken place, as well DC movies. John Wick 2, Baywatch, and Baby Driver were popular action movies during this time. YouTube was going through vague changes as well, due to the shutdown of Vine, people like Lele Pons, Jake and Logan Paul, Gabbie Hanna, and other viners migrated to YouTube, although the Paul Brothers had series of hate thanks to Its Everyday Bro and... The controversial video Logan freaking uploaded by the end of the year... On the gaming side, Pewdiepie, Markiplier, and Jacksepticeye were at their peak, though Pewdiepie ended his brofist Era and went onto meme reviews in Late 2016. Newer YouTubers such as Ricegum, MrBeast, and David Dobrik were gaining steam, although vloggers such as Casey Neistat, Liza Koshy remained relevant.

Cool things happened in Tech as well! Bezel-less phones sees its first wave of popularity with Samsung Galaxy S8 and iPhone X, along with the removal of the headphone jack though Airpods weren't popular until Late 2018. Voice assistants like Google Home and Amazon Echo were becoming popular, along with VR Gaming! And in cars, Tesla was gaining even more popularity. In social media, 2017 was the year of Snapchat filters and the fidget spinner trend. Instagram was dominant as we all know it, though Musically was dying during this year as it turned out to be a flop. The Late 2010s emo aesthetic was exploding in popularity in Instagram. Vine also shut down this year.

Lastly, gaming. Woah, were things changing. 8th-Generation gaming was at its peak with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X's release, and the Nintendo Switch. Howver, PC Gaming was taking over consoles popularity. Online Games like GTA Online, CS:GO, Rocket League, Minecraft, and more remained very relevant, although the Battle Royale trend was becoming a huge phenomenon thanks to Fortnite and Pubg. Thanks to the Switch's release, Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey were popularized, and while people still owned the Wii U, it was evident that the Switch is what the Wii U should've been due to flopped sales. Triple A Games like Skyrim, GTA 5, Fallout 4, and Witcher 3 remained popular, but there were major releases this year such as Horizon Zero Dawn and Crash Bandicoot NSane Trilogy. Overall, it was a solid year for gaming.

Out of pop culture and in with fashion, minimalist fashion and forms of athlesiure were huge trends, with black and white or earthy colors, ripped jeans, sportswear, and Nike hats. On the more hypebeast side of things, Supreme jackets and shirts, Gucci belts and flip flops, golden chains, and Yeezys.

Overall, I think 2017 was a fun year for pop culture, despite some controversial changes like Mumble rap. I think 2017 was the last full year of the Core 2010s, although lots of Late 2010s influences were born this year, making it feel vaguely newer from the Mid 2010s. But what do you guys think?

Written By: That2004Kid on 05/09/20 at 6:21 pm

So if we talk about 2017 being part of the Core 2010s, yes, 2017 is the last full year for that, although it is vaguely newer from the Mid 2010s. Again, Mid 2010s =/= Core 2010s.

One of the things that stand out are politics, the US government took a controversial turn with Trumps election. But politics aside, there were quite some interesting changes in 2017 that are worth pointing out.

Musically, things were very diverse but also controversial. Trap music evolved even bigger. Emo rap had its breakthrough Early or Midway through the year with XXXTentacion and Lil Peep, while mumble rap on the other hand is dominating the hip hop charts with Lil Pump, 21 Savage, Migos, etc. It wasn't all mumble rap however, you had Kendrick Lamar and Amine, along with Cardi B's breakthrough late that year. With pop, Core 2010s artists like Shawn Mendes, Ed Sheeran, Ariana Grande, etc. Remained as megastars, but Ed Sheeran takes a more dance-hall turn to his music letting go of the typical ballads/stringed R&B he did in the Mid 2010s. Because of One Direction's separation, Zayn and Harry Styles both went solo in 2016, which later continued on. Pop music still had that upbeat sound thanks to Pop Rock, Bubblegum Pop, EDM, and most notably, Latin Pop which was at its peak late that year thanks to Despacito and Mi Gente. Drake as usual, kept his typical R&B/Rap music ongoing. Imagine Dragons remained popular this year. Post Malone has also been making things darker, which declassified his One hit wonder status. EDM, while not as dominant from previous years, remained very relevant although The Chainsmokers were rapidly losing popularity midway. Future Bass was still ongoing thanks to Zedd, Chainsmokers, along with Marshmello, but Calvin Harris was leaning more on the tropical side of things. Overall, 2017 had lots of changes incoming thanks to Darker Trap music and Latin Pop, but its still very Core 2010s nonetheless.

When it comes to Television, 2017 had lots of darker changes, some for the better, some for the worse. Most notably, the Netflix scene. Lots of shows such as House of Cards, Orange Is the new Black, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt were slowly losing popularity in favor of newer shows such as 13 Reasons Why, Stranger Things, and Riverdale. However, shows like Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead were still in their golden age, though newer shows like Young Sheldon and Good Doctor were gaining steam. Doctor Who revealed their 13th doctor, which is a female actress Jodie Whittaker. In movies, the MCU was still in its prime as the effects of Infinity War still haven't taken place, as well DC movies. John Wick 2, Baywatch, and Baby Driver were popular action movies during this time. YouTube was going through vague changes as well, due to the shutdown of Vine, people like Lele Pons, Jake and Logan Paul, Gabbie Hanna, and other viners migrated to YouTube, although the Paul Brothers had series of hate thanks to Its Everyday Bro and... The controversial video Logan freaking uploaded by the end of the year... On the gaming side, Pewdiepie, Markiplier, and Jacksepticeye were at their peak, though Pewdiepie ended his brofist Era and went onto meme reviews in Late 2016. Newer YouTubers such as Ricegum, MrBeast, and David Dobrik were gaining steam, although vloggers such as Casey Neistat, Liza Koshy remained relevant.

Cool things happened in Tech as well! Bezel-less phones sees its first wave of popularity with Samsung Galaxy S8 and iPhone X, along with the removal of the headphone jack though Airpods weren't popular until Late 2018. Voice assistants like Google Home and Amazon Echo were becoming popular, along with VR Gaming! And in cars, Tesla was gaining even more popularity. In social media, 2017 was the year of Snapchat filters and the fidget spinner trend. Instagram was dominant as we all know it, though Musically was dying during this year as it turned out to be a flop. The Late 2010s emo aesthetic was exploding in popularity in Instagram. Vine also shut down this year.

Lastly, gaming. Woah, were things changing. 8th-Generation gaming was at its peak with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X's release, and the Nintendo Switch. Howver, PC Gaming was taking over consoles popularity. Online Games like GTA Online, CS:GO, Rocket League, Minecraft, and more remained very relevant, although the Battle Royale trend was becoming a huge phenomenon thanks to Fortnite and Pubg. Thanks to the Switch's release, Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey were popularized, and while people still owned the Wii U, it was evident that the Switch is what the Wii U should've been due to flopped sales. Triple A Games like Skyrim, GTA 5, Fallout 4, and Witcher 3 remained popular, but there were major releases this year such as Horizon Zero Dawn and Crash Bandicoot NSane Trilogy. Overall, it was a solid year for gaming.

Out of pop culture and in with fashion, minimalist fashion and forms of athlesiure were huge trends, with black and white or earthy colors, ripped jeans, sportswear, and Nike hats. On the more hypebeast side of things, Supreme jackets and shirts, Gucci belts and flip flops, golden chains, and Yeezys.

Overall, I think 2017 was a fun year for pop culture, despite some controversial changes like Mumble rap. I think 2017 was the last full year of the Core 2010s, although lots of Late 2010s influences were born this year, making it feel vaguely newer from the Mid 2010s. But what do you guys think?

Wow.... I could never  ;D I agree. It may just be my personal life, but the first part of 2017 felt like a polished Mid 2010s. Then of course things got darker as you mentioned, but I guess I was just blind to culture at the time 😅  Heck, I was still immersed in "Cake By The Ocean" and "Lean On" lol

Written By: mc98 on 05/09/20 at 7:06 pm

Honestly, you explain things better than me  ;D.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 05/09/20 at 7:36 pm

Honestly, you explain things better than me  ;D.
Nah, your explanations are more accurate  ;D

Written By: Sman12 on 05/10/20 at 12:03 pm

Another great summary as always. Thanks for your input.  :)

Written By: Slim95 on 05/11/20 at 9:25 pm

I'm gonna refrain from answering this question because I don't even know what "core" means anymore and I certainly don't want it being confused with mid. But is it a year that has quintessential 2010s attributes to it? Absolutely.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/11/20 at 9:52 pm

Great analysis :).

And yes, on the bold. I agree that 2017 was the last year that was 'core' 2010s, from start to finish. While the 2017-18' school year was the last 'core' 2010s school year.

Check for new replies or respond here...