inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2010s Are Gonna Feel Dated Quickly Due to the C-19 Pandemic

Written By: Slim95 on 05/24/20 at 12:49 am

The 2010s decade are gonna feel dated quickly because of the huge changes brought on due to the pandemic. I mean even just last year 2019 feels distant now because it was pre-pandemic life and the normal we had is gone now. Everyone wanted a shift to make it feel like a different decade, this is certainly not what we wanted or had in mind, but it did happen.

Subject: Re: The 2010s Are Gonna Feel Dated Quickly Due to the C-19 Pandemic

Written By: Slim95 on 05/24/20 at 12:50 am

Also because of the pandemic, I actually think the 2010s will not suffer backlash. People are actually gonna feel nostalgic for it quicker I think. The initial backlash it was supposed to get while entering the 2020s will not occur because of Covid-19.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 05/24/20 at 1:11 am

Also because of the pandemic, I actually think the 2010s will not suffer backlash. People are actually gonna feel nostalgic for it quicker I think. The initial backlash it was supposed to get while entering the 2020s will not occur because of Covid-19.

Yeah. Otherwise I'd be happy, so probably, this is how it's going to turn out, yeah.

Written By: 2001 on 05/24/20 at 1:59 am

The 2010s will be like the 1890s/1900s nostalgia after WW1 happened. Okay it probably won't be that bad, but I want people to treat the 2010s with the respect it deserves already ;D

Written By: wixness on 05/24/20 at 8:39 am

I don't think so - I think they don't feel dated primarily because the only thing that seems to separate the 2010s from now is the pandemic. We still have much of the ideas about the world we've had since the late 2010s.

For instance, this song which has been popular from like TikTok as a result of the pandemic, is based on a 2017 pop song from Vietnam as detailed in this video's description:

V9YirNgAzXI

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/24/20 at 9:27 am

True. We thought 2019 sucked but now we want it back.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/24/20 at 11:38 am

Most people do but not me. I'm fine with 2020 as I feel better mentally this year so it's not as bad for me. But most people will want 2019 back.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/24/20 at 12:51 pm

I don't think so - I think they don't feel dated primarily because the only thing that seems to separate the 2010s from now is the pandemic. We still have much of the ideas about the world we've had since the late 2010s.

I agree that there are still some late 2010s carryovers like extreme political polarization or mainstream trap, but pop culture is already adapting to the radical change of the pandemic.

Concerts were cancelled or delayed indefinitely, stay-at-home concerts became popular, and there are hit songs that talk about or reference the coronavirus ("Toosie Slide", "Stuck With U", and "Say So (Remix)", for example).

I feel like we're in a new era, and I don't think we'll go back to pre-pandemic normalcy as a world for a while.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/24/20 at 1:11 pm

I a
I agree that there are still some late 2010s carryovers like extreme political polarization or mainstream trap, but pop culture is already adapting to the radical change of the pandemic.

Concerts were cancelled or delayed indefinitely, stay-at-home concerts became popular, and there are hit songs that talk about or reference the coronavirus ("Toosie Slide", "Stuck With U", and "Say So (Remix)", for example).

I feel like we're in a new era, and I don't think we'll go back to pre-pandemic normalcy as a world for a while.

And I heard there are some drive in concerts too. And drive in movie theatres are making a comeback. You're right I don't we'll get back to normalcy for a while this is probably exactly what the culture of the early 2020s will look like. Perhaps they'll be some new things as we continue on through the transition but I think we're already in the early 2020s in more ways than less.

To me it truly feels like we're in a different decade, and a different world too... And it was only in a matter of months. But it feels like a brand new era for sure. The 2020s started right on time. Everything is different now due to the pandemic.

Written By: wixness on 05/24/20 at 1:20 pm

And I heard there are some drive in concerts too. And drive in movie theatres are making a comeback. You're right I don't we'll get back to normalcy for a while this is probably exactly what the culture of the early 2020s will look like. Perhaps they'll be some new things as we continue on through the transition but I think we're already in the early 2020s in more ways than less.

To me it truly feels like we're in a different decade, and a different world too... And it was only in a matter of months. But it feels like a brand new era for sure. The 2020s started right on time. Everything is different now due to the pandemic.

I a

I just think if we did away with the 2010s aesthetic (I don't think we have done) and we ditched certain technologies (i.e. DRM), we'd have moved on from that decade.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/24/20 at 1:26 pm

I'm not sure anybody wants 2019 PER SE back. What they want back is their "old life" so to speak, the way things were before the pandemic. Better we forget about 2019 and just try to build a better future.

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/24/20 at 1:40 pm

I'm not sure anybody wants 2019 PER SE back. What they want back is their "old life" so to speak, the way things were before the pandemic. Better we forget about 2019 and just try to build a better future.

That’s pretty much my point, people will associate years like 2019 with better times. To be honest I’ve already forgotten what happened last year - none of it seems particularly important in retrospect.

Written By: karen on 05/24/20 at 2:19 pm

I see this type of remark quite often on here. I don’t get why these things are supposed to happen. Surely sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn’t. Things don’t have to always follow a set pattern - especially not pop culture

Written By: Slim95 on 05/24/20 at 2:24 pm

I see this type of remark quite often on here. I don’t get why these things are supposed to happen. Surely sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn’t. Things don’t have to always follow a set pattern - especially not pop culture

Because it was already happening before the decade even finished... And not just on this forum. The whole world couldn't wait until 2020 and was excited, remember 2020 vision and all the excitement for the new decade with the 100 year throwbacks to the roaring '20s around the start of this year? The whole world was excited for the new decade. And now that stopped due to the pandemic.

Written By: Sman12 on 05/24/20 at 4:01 pm

Because it was already happening before the decade even finished... And not just on this forum. The whole world couldn't wait until 2020 and was excited, remember 2020 vision and all the excitement for the new decade with the 100 year throwbacks to the roaring '20s around the start of this year? The whole world was excited for the new decade. And now that stopped due to the pandemic.

We're not even done with the decade yet, and 2020 is already a contender for the worst year of it so far.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 05/24/20 at 4:11 pm

And I thought 2020 would be a year of vision, sure doesn't feel that way.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/20 at 4:13 pm

We're not even done with the decade yet, and 2020 is already a contender for the worst year of it so far.  >:(

2020 is sure kicking ass!

Written By: DisneysRetro on 05/24/20 at 6:11 pm

I think the changes brought upon from this virus will make the 2010’s feel very distant. Similar to how the 2000’s (mainly early to mid) feel super distant due to the technological changes that changed our social lives in the late 00’s early 10’s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/25/20 at 8:10 am

Yeah, because I thought it couldn't possibly be any worse than the 2010's.

At the same time it's also the best year of the decade so far, lol. But see above, it can and probably will get a whole lot worse.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/04/20 at 10:22 am

I have a feeling the mid and late 2020’s will be a lot better. I can’t see the coronavirus pandemic being relevant by 2022/2023. I think there will be a vaccine for it at some point.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/20 at 2:12 pm

I have a feeling the mid and late 2020’s will be a lot better. I can’t see the coronavirus pandemic being relevant by 2022/2023. I think there will be a vaccine for it at some point.

I sure hope so, didn't they say there was a medication for it? ???

Written By: wixness on 07/05/20 at 4:38 am

I don't think it has or will for a while because culture hasn't been able to develop as much outside the context of COVID-19.
Granted, the only major difference is that left-wing politics seems to have more teeth this time around compared to the last decade, but I otherwise don't see much of a difference aside from those minimalist striped tops and the late 90s-early 2000s nostalgia.

Check for new replies or respond here...