inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Mid 2015 shift

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/07/20 at 2:33 pm

This is what splits the Mid 2010s into 2 parts, although this shift isn't as big as lets say, the Late 2013 shift or Late 2016, but its still worth pointing out nonetheless.

-Gay Marriage gets legalized in the US
-Dancehall becomes mainstream thanks to DJ Snakes and MO's Lean On
-Musical.ly, a new form of social media gets released
-New forms of technology like Virtual Reality and Hoverboards have their breakthroughs
-Hipster hits its apex
-Early Mumble rap becomes successful because of Fetty Wap, Rae Sremmurd, Rich Homie Quan, Chief Keef, etc.
-Dank Memes enter the mainstream thanks to MLG and Filthy Frank
-Windows 10

Subject: Re: The Mid 2015 shift

Written By: mc98 on 06/07/20 at 2:53 pm

Forgot that Donald Trump enters the race.

Written By: XYkid on 06/07/20 at 3:31 pm

Yes I definitely noticed a shift in 2015, it was the year I truly realized that the world that I grew up in is obselete.

I went to a really bad break up in the Autumn of that year, at the same time as the songs what do you mean by Justin Bieber and you used to call me on my cell phone by Drake were on the radio, you can only imagine how mocked felt. I was working at a mall so I heard those songs quite a lot during that time, and I definitely noticed that a lot of psychedelic and spacey imagery became popular in fashion. The end of 2015 and most of 2016 was when the galaxy print peaked.

2015 was actually one of my favorite years of the decade musically. It was the year that Wolf Alice released their first Full album and There was this trend in the music scene in England of fusing grunge and indie that I really liked. Of course I didn’t like that trap rap was starting to become popular and I still can’t stand it to this day, I had a lot of mixed feelings about the music in 2016 because of it. 2016 was also when I noticed how depressing a lot of the pop music was starting to sound, although I noticed traces of this is early as 2014.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/08/20 at 3:35 am

Oh right, forgot about that, though the effects of Trump weren't truly felt until Late 2016

Written By: Sman12 on 06/08/20 at 8:09 am

Yeah, but he was mostly seen as a joke at the time. Boy, were we wrong.  ;D

Anyways, when I heard that gay marriage was legalized back in the summer of 2015, I realized we were in a new cultural era of diversity and inclusion. 

I also noticed pop music becoming more atmospheric with songs like "Hotline Bling" and "Lean On".

Vine was still absolutely everywhere, and like you said, dank memes were the most popular form of internet memes at the time.

And it was probably the last year of people speaking their minds until PC culture became fully mainstream in 2016.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/20 at 8:29 am

Is that when there was a huge shift to towards Twitter?

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/10/20 at 1:52 pm

I didn't notice any shift in mid-2015.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/10/20 at 1:57 pm

I did notice the shift. Just like 1965 solidified the mid-late sixties zeitgeist, 2015 solidified the mid-late 2010s zeitgeist.

And it was probably the last year of people speaking their minds until PC culture became fully mainstream in 2016.

I noticed PC culture was already getting hugely mainstream in 2014-2015 (trigger warnings, safe spaces, cancel culture were becoming hot topics at that time). The 2016 election of Trump was seen as a backlash to it.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 06/10/20 at 2:36 pm

Yeah there was a change in this year.

I think while early 2015 had the very last remnants of upbeat EDM music, late 2015 was when music started to get more downbeat and subdued. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to feel the 2010's was a split decade in terms of music.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/10/20 at 4:16 pm

Yeah there was a change in this year.

I think while early 2015 had the very last remnants of upbeat EDM music, late 2015 was when music started to get more downbeat and subdued. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to feel the 2010's was a split decade in terms of music.
2016 and 2017 was still upbeat in EDM though

Written By: Sman12 on 06/10/20 at 4:24 pm

I did notice the shift. Just like 1965 solidified the mid-late sixties zeitgeist, 2015 solidified the mid-late 2010s zeitgeist.
I noticed PC culture was already getting hugely mainstream in 2014-2015 (trigger warnings, safe spaces, cancel culture were becoming hot topics at that time). The 2016 election of Trump was seen as a backlash to it.

Oh, right. I remember when Gamergate was a thing. Dark times, indeed.  :\'(

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/05/20 at 3:49 pm

Also, we can't forget Windows 10's release! Everyone with computers, from School PC's to High end gaming enthusiasts only used Windows 7 until 2015.

Once again, this shift isnt really that big, its just that the Mid 2010s were fully developed at this time, with Late 2010s influences creeping in

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/05/20 at 6:18 pm

I guess there was a shift in mid-2015 from what I'm reading. I don't remember what I was doing on the day gay marriage got legalized. I'm not LGBT, so that day was pretty much like any other day for me. I think I was still slightly against it in 2015 too.

I also wasn't into politics back then. I didn't even know who Trump was until like late 2015 when I saw Instagram memes about him. The shift IMO was a lot bigger in late 2016, which I remember as clear as day. I actually had to watch the Democratic debate for my 9th grade homework.  ;D

Also, I thought the dank meme thing was popular for all of 2015.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/06/20 at 12:19 pm

I guess there was a shift in mid-2015 from what I'm reading. I don't remember what I was doing on the day gay marriage got legalized. I'm not LGBT, so that day was pretty much like any other day for me. I think I was still slightly against it in 2015 too.

I also wasn't into politics back then. I didn't even know who Trump was until like late 2015 when I saw Instagram memes about him. The shift IMO was a lot bigger in late 2016, which I remember as clear as day. I actually had to watch the Democratic debate for my 9th grade homework.  ;D

Also, I thought the dank meme thing was popular for all of 2015.
True true, I still don't understand why things started getting dark ever since Late 2016 though...

Check for new replies or respond here...