inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What tv show marked the transition from the 2000s to 2010s ?

Written By: CarCar on 07/19/20 at 8:00 am

What tv show that sprung up from anytime between the late 2000s and early 2010s. Showcased the transition from a 2000s culture to 2010s culture.

Subject: Re: What tv show marked the transition from the 2000s to 2010s ?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/19/20 at 9:29 am

"The Closer", the police procedural starring Kyra Sedgewick which ran from 2005-2012 most certainly showcased transitions (in the case of women emerging into powerful positions once dominated by men), as well as bringing about transition in and of itself (in the case of redefining the place of basic cable channels alongside network programming). 

Wikipedia has this to say about the cultural impact of the show:

Both gender researchers and members of the media have claimed that the series "expanded the vocabulary of what is acceptable for women as seen through the lens of popular culture."

"We've certainly seen women in powerful positions before," says author and gender researcher Maddy Dychtwald, pointing out Angie Dickinson in 1974's Police Woman, and Cagney & Lacey from 1981. "But those women were largely token in a sea of dominant males, and most important, strove to be like the men that surrounded them." In contrast, Dychtwald says the former CIA-trained interrogator and Atlanta police detective played by Kyra Sedgwick, "retains (and revels in) her femininity, keeps her composure, can handle the two 'sexist pigs' who bait her due to their jealousy and insecurities, and not lose her head."

Media experts also noted that the series helped redefine the place of basic cable channels alongside network programming:

Beyond gently tweaking the popular image of women in power, "The Closer" has helped redefine the power balance between basic cable and broadcast networks, says Fordham University media expert Paul Levinson. Just glance at the equal number of recent Emmy nominations for basic and premium cable shows is confirmation, he adds. Beyond that, says More Magazine Entertainment Director Kathy Heintzelman, the off-season placement—the show launched in the summer and continues to air its seasons in counterbalance to the traditional network schedule—has helped redefine viewing habits. "It's helped people get used to the idea that summer is a time to watch original series on televisions," she adds.

Is this the kind of thing you were looking for? I know how picky you are about the way people answer your theoretical questions.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/19/20 at 11:09 am

One that comes to mind is the Office. Also How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory.

Written By: goodbants on 07/19/20 at 11:23 am

I’d say Breaking Bad. It started in 2008 and ended in 2013. It was also a huge cultural phenomenon and one of the first shows that was binged on Netflix.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 6:51 am

I would say "Peppa Pig", the British preschool animated television series first broadcast in 2004. For the characters helped young children with the developments of the world, wearing seat belts in cars, wearing bicycle helmets, appreciating in the understanding of animals, positive public health messages, encouraging healthy eating, exercise, and road safety, and the progress of I.T.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 8:23 am

"The Closer", the police procedural starring Kyra Sedgewick which ran from 2005-2012 most certainly showcased transitions (in the case of women emerging into powerful positions once dominated by men), as well as bringing about transition in and of itself (in the case of redefining the place of basic cable channels alongside network programming). 

Wikipedia has this to say about the cultural impact of the show:

Both gender researchers and members of the media have claimed that the series "expanded the vocabulary of what is acceptable for women as seen through the lens of popular culture."

"We've certainly seen women in powerful positions before," says author and gender researcher Maddy Dychtwald, pointing out Angie Dickinson in 1974's Police Woman, and Cagney & Lacey from 1981. "But those women were largely token in a sea of dominant males, and most important, strove to be like the men that surrounded them." In contrast, Dychtwald says the former CIA-trained interrogator and Atlanta police detective played by Kyra Sedgwick, "retains (and revels in) her femininity, keeps her composure, can handle the two 'sexist pigs' who bait her due to their jealousy and insecurities, and not lose her head."

Media experts also noted that the series helped redefine the place of basic cable channels alongside network programming:

Beyond gently tweaking the popular image of women in power, "The Closer" has helped redefine the power balance between basic cable and broadcast networks, says Fordham University media expert Paul Levinson. Just glance at the equal number of recent Emmy nominations for basic and premium cable shows is confirmation, he adds. Beyond that, says More Magazine Entertainment Director Kathy Heintzelman, the off-season placement—the show launched in the summer and continues to air its seasons in counterbalance to the traditional network schedule—has helped redefine viewing habits. "It's helped people get used to the idea that summer is a time to watch original series on televisions," she adds.

Is this the kind of thing you were looking for? I know how picky you are about the way people answer your theoretical questions.

On the whole, television cop shows do show the change of the years, female detective making the full front on some shows, with Jessica Fletcher in "Murder She Wrote" setting the scene.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/26/20 at 8:34 am

Of course Angie Dickinson predates Jessica Fletcher by a decade with "Police Woman", very popular in the 70s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 8:38 am

Of course Angie Dickinson predates Jessica Fletcher by a decade with "Police Woman", very popular in the 70s.
...and controversial too, for they was one episode in 1974 that Sgt. "Pepper" Anderson (Dickinson) investigated a trio of lesbians who run a retirement home while robbing and murdering the elderly residents.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/26/20 at 8:44 am

...and controversial too, for they was one episode in 1974 that Sgt. "Pepper" Anderson (Dickinson) investigated a trio of lesbians who run a retirement home while robbing and murdering the elderly residents.

TV in the 70s was always breaking new ground like that. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 8:58 am

TV in the 70s was always breaking new ground like that. 
Were there controversial episodes in "Colombo" or "Kojak"?

You would not see a television detective sucking on a lollipop.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/26/20 at 9:06 am

Oh, I'm sure there were. I never really watched those shows, I couldn't stand Columbo. He was such a pain. I recall an episode of "Medical Center" from 1975 when Robert Reed, best known as the father ont he Brady Bunch, played a transgender doctor who gets gender reassignment surgery. Of course none of today's terminology, including the word "transgender" existed back then. Reed was nominated for an Emmy for this role.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 9:41 am

Oh, I'm sure there were. I never really watched those shows, I couldn't stand Columbo. He was such a pain. I recall an episode of "Medical Center" from 1975 when Robert Reed, best known as the father ont he Brady Bunch, played a transgender doctor who gets gender reassignment surgery. Of course none of today's terminology, including the word "transgender" existed back then. Reed was nominated for an Emmy for this role.
back then I was too busy being a teenager to watch US TV Detectives, and now I wish to watch "Colombo", and it was recently shown on TV here, but at the wrong time of the day, and I believe there is an episode shot in London, that is one episode I wish to see.

Include "The Brady Bunch" as another TV Program I failed to watch on the first broadcast.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/26/20 at 9:56 am

As a child, Phineas and Ferb

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 10:00 am

Watching the repeats of "Friends"

Written By: Wink-182 on 07/26/20 at 6:23 pm

Probably Glee, started in 2009 and ended in 2015.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 1:36 am

Probably Glee, started in 2009 and ended in 2015.
"Glee" was for the younger folks, and "Top Gear" for the older folks.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/27/20 at 8:44 am

"Glee" was for the younger folks, and "Top Gear" for the older folks.

Didn't there used to be a BBC music show called "Top Gear"?  Kind of like "Top Of The Pops". And what about the one with "Whispering" Bob Harris "Old Grey Whistle Test"? That show had some GREAT musical guests in the 70s. Many are now on Youtube.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/27/20 at 8:54 am

Didn't there used to be a BBC music show called "Top Gear"?  Kind of like "Top Of The Pops". And what about the one with "Whispering" Bob Harris "Old Grey Whistle Test"? That show had some GREAT musical guests in the 70s. Many are now on Youtube.

In the past I'd posted a fantastic "Old Grey Whistle Test" performance by Eric Clapton performing "Hello Old Friend" - I just love that footage!  I didn't know that was a BBC show (although I'm not surprised).  I know I've run across other "OGWT" performances I've liked, but don't recall offhand.  I've seen lots of great footage from "Top Of The Pops" too.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 9:02 am

Didn't there used to be a BBC music show called "Top Gear"?  Kind of like "Top Of The Pops".
There was a music radio show with that title in the late 1960s, and I do not recall listening to it. In my reply, I was referring to the motor show.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/27/20 at 9:04 am

There was a music radio show with that title in the late 1960s, and I do not recall listening to it. In my reply, I was referring to the motor show.

I have a feeling you'll like this one.  ;)  And look how young they were. Practically teenagers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9MjtX8ast4&list=PL8ife9Rz61MusESIGCpKQl7cSghwXlWuN&index=5&t=0s

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/27/20 at 9:05 am

That's right, now that i think of it. Top Gear was a radio show. I have a bootleg of some early Marc Bolan stuff on there. I think maybe with John Peel?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 9:07 am

In the past I'd posted a fantastic "Old Grey Whistle Test" performance by Eric Clapton performing "Hello Old Friend" - I just love that footage!  I didn't know that was a BBC show (although I'm not surprised).  I know I've run across other "OGWT" performances I've liked, but don't recall offhand.  I've seen lots of great footage from "Top Of The Pops" too.  :)

BBC4 plays many (that are available) old episodes of "Top Of The Pops", the last one I saw was from 1989 that show "Eternal Flame" by The Bangles. Over the years I still love the song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 9:10 am

I have a feeling you'll like this one.  ;)  And look how young they were. Practically teenagers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9MjtX8ast4&list=PL8ife9Rz61MusESIGCpKQl7cSghwXlWuN&index=5&t=0s

O0

Wonderful to hear, and always liked the concept that the group America was formed in London, England.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 9:14 am

At the start of the video, the reference to Riverside is the Riversides Studios in Hammersmith, by the River Thames in London, now redeveloped with new Studios on the same site.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/27/20 at 9:21 am

Here's an absolute classic. There were giants on the Earth in those days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_rQZwah2rM&list=PL8ife9Rz61MusESIGCpKQl7cSghwXlWuN&index=90&t=0s

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 9:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_rQZwah2rM&list=PL8ife9Rz61MusESIGCpKQl7cSghwXlWuN&index=90&t=0s

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/27/20 at 11:29 am

Love this!    :D  :D  :D

Love this too!  :D  :D  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 1:55 pm

Love this!    :D  :D  :D

Love this too!  :D  :D  :D

All legends, never to be seen again.

Written By: CarCar on 07/27/20 at 1:56 pm

Watching the repeats of "Friends"

doesn't count its a show that ran from the 90's to 2000's

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 1:57 pm

doesn't count its a show that ran from the 90's to 2000's
Watching the repeats of...

Written By: Howard on 07/27/20 at 2:42 pm

You would not see a television detective sucking on a lollipop.

That was just his shtick.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/20 at 2:44 pm

BBC4 plays many (that are available) old episodes of "Top Of The Pops", the last one I saw was from 1989 that show "Eternal Flame" by The Bangles. Over the years I still love the song.

Top Of The Pops has a YouTube channel.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 2:54 pm

probably run by the BBC?

Written By: Howard on 07/27/20 at 3:37 pm

probably run by the BBC?

I love their channel.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/20 at 6:24 pm

The Office

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/20 at 5:22 am

The Office
The original UK series "The Office" did not make me laugh once.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/20 at 7:35 am

probably run by the BBC?

I would think so, I get their videos every few days in my subscription box.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/20 at 7:50 am

I would think so, I get their videos every few days in my subscription box.
I might do the same, to catch up on old times.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/20 at 1:31 pm

You do realise that not all Top of the Pops shows are now not available to be shown.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/28/20 at 1:36 pm

The original UK series "The Office" did not make me laugh once.

Yeah but I was referring to the American version. It did make me laugh a couple times.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/20 at 2:06 pm

You do realise that not all Top of the Pops shows are now not available to be shown.

For me I get about 5 minutes of music clips in my subscription box.

Written By: passthegabagool on 07/28/20 at 9:30 pm

I’d say Breaking Bad. It started in 2008 and ended in 2013. It was also a huge cultural phenomenon and one of the first shows that was binged on Netflix.

Adding to this, Season 1 of Breaking Bad was actually filmed in Fall 2007 before the recession hit the US, before being aired in January 2008. So it feels a lot more Core 2000s-ish than the rest of the seasons aswell.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 07/30/20 at 3:25 pm

I’d say degrassi: the next generation. It started in the early 2000’s and ended in the mid 2010’s. It shows a ton of transition from early to mid 20000’s to the late 2000’s and early 10’s amongst middle schoolers and high schoolers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 9:20 am

For me I get about 5 minutes of music clips in my subscription box.
What happens when the song is over 5 minutes long?

Written By: duenas8 on 08/01/20 at 9:31 am

The first seasons of Glee come to my mind when I think of the 2009-2010 period. Also Breaking Bad

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 10:28 am

What tv show that sprung up from anytime between the late 2000s and early 2010s. Showcased the transition from a 2000s culture to 2010s culture.
The programs dedicated to the closing of 2009 on New Year's Eve, and bringing in the New Year of 2010.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/20 at 10:29 am

The programs dedicated to the closing of 2009 on New Year's Eve, and bringing in the New Year of 2010.

Those were all programs from the Jelly Bag!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/20 at 2:53 pm

Those were all programs from the Jelly Bag!
Can you keep the remote control in the Jelly Bag?

Check for new replies or respond here...