inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you think when people say things haven’t changed much in the 2010s?

Written By: goodbants on 07/26/20 at 10:37 am

I’ve seen quite a few people say this. Not on this site but on Reddit and other places. I completely disagree with this statement. I think the world is a totally different place now than 2010, even excluding the pandemic and BLM movement. What do you think?

Subject: Re: What do you think when people say things haven’t changed much in the 2010s?

Written By: CarCar on 07/26/20 at 12:31 pm

I’ve seen quite a few people say this. Not on this site but on Reddit and other places. I completely disagree with this statement. I think the world is a totally different place now than 2010, even excluding the pandemic and BLM movement. What do you think?

Cue in the “nothing compares to the changes in the 90s” incoming comments

Subject: Re: What do you think when people say things haven’t changed much in the 2010s?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/20 at 6:27 pm

Cue in the “nothing compares to the changes in the 90s” incoming comments

Well would you say the 2010s had a lot of changes by comparing it to imaginary decades? What would be the basis of saying the 2010s had a lot of changes if you don't compare it to other decades? Then it's completely subjective and just your mind saying it had a lot of changes for a decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/20 at 6:28 pm

I think it's a correct and factual statement... Think of it this way. Obviously there will be changes in a 10 year period. But when someone says (like me for example) not much has changed in the 2010s decade, it is obviously in comparison to other decades. Because that's the only way you can determine whether there were a lot of changes or not, by comparing it objectively to other decades.

There are way more differences between 2000 and 2009, and 1990 and 1999, than there are between 2010 and 2019. The only way one can say the 2010s had a lot of changes is by maybe comparing it to the 1980s. I don't know too much about the 1980s so I can't confirm whether that decade had more change than this one or not. All I can go by is what I've experienced while being alive (by experiencing the 2000s specifically). And there's no doubt the 2010s had way less change than the 2000s and the 1990s.

Written By: CarCar on 07/28/20 at 1:03 pm

See I told sooner or later those comments come, nothing new to see folk

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/28/20 at 1:04 pm

Because they haven't paid any attention to 2010's culture, and they likely weren't the main target audience for youth culture of the entire 2010's. They usually tend to be older people. A lot of people who say this also tend to dislike 2010's culture, so they don't pay attention to it and end up missing changes in pop culture.

Written By: CarCar on 07/28/20 at 1:07 pm

Because they haven't paid any attention to 2010's culture, and they likely weren't the main target audience for youth culture of the entire 2010's. They usually tend to be older people. A lot of people who say this also tend to dislike 2010's culture, so they don't pay attention to it and end up missing changes in pop culture.

Yeah those people always seem to be the main proponents of that rhetoric

Written By: Slim95 on 07/28/20 at 1:33 pm

See I told sooner or later those comments come, nothing new to see folk

So what are you basing your view that the 2010s were changeful on if you don't compare it to other decades?

Written By: goodbants on 07/28/20 at 3:42 pm

So what are you basing your view that the 2010s were changeful on if you don't compare it to other decades?

I do compare it with other decades and I still would say it has changed quite a bit. Just as much as the 90s or 00s.

Check for new replies or respond here...