inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2010s, the awkward, quirky and relatable decade

Written By: CarCar on 08/23/20 at 7:28 am

After watching some of the trends of the 2010s

The whole quirky and relatable trend of the 2010s will be how people see the decade in the future. It expressed itself in TV shows like Glee, Gravity Falls, The Runaways and Teen Wolf. Movies like Booksmart, Inside Out and the edge of seventeen. Memes like the grumpy cat, Shiba and Bacon. Jennifer Lawrence in the early 2010s when she tried to be seen as funny or when Ellen did everything in her power to try to seem relatable and liked by everyone with her be kind mantra.

I bet the 2020s is getting fatigue from this and it’s happening right about now but I wonder how will it rebel against this whole mantra.

If the 2000s were all about being super sexy and bedazzled then the 2010s were all about being quirky and relatable

Subject: Re: The 2010s, the awkward, quirky and relatable decade

Written By: Dundee on 08/23/20 at 7:42 am

That's pretty accurate. I too see the 2000s as the decade of glitzy extravaganza, the 2010s as the decade of grassroots self-expression and the 2020s so far as the "don't touch me I'm scared" decade in both literal and figurative ways

Written By: CarCar on 08/23/20 at 8:25 am

That's pretty accurate. I too see the 2000s as the decade of glitzy extravaganza, the 2010s as the decade of grassroots self-expression and the 2020s so far as the "don't touch me I'm scared" decade in both literal and figurative ways

I see the 2010s as the shy, awkward and quirky younger brother/sister of the 2000s who put up with its smut, trashy and perverted behavior.

2000s = Larger then Life Emo’s and Hypersexual Rap videos

2010 = Quirky Hipsters and Eccentric Rappers who talk about Mental Health

Or

2000s = Smut and Trashy like Paris Hilton

2010s = Quirky and Adorable like Jennifer Lawrence

And

2000s = Scantly Clothed with Jewels pasted in a Mansion

2010s = Soft Colors, Hoodies and Comfortable Mom Jeans in your Bedroom

Written By: CarCar on 08/23/20 at 10:52 pm

In 2009 the Black eyed peas released “I gotta feeling” which celebrated partying and debauch behavior. It featured drugs, scantily clothed women and hangovers.

In 2019 Ed Sheeran and Khalid released “Beautiful people” which showed the awkwardness of one couple in the middle of all the debauchery by attractive party goers but instead of being the punchline they were celebrated for they’re quirkinesses 

I just feel those two music videos show the difference in attitudes from both decades towards eachother.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 08/23/20 at 11:13 pm

I feel like the early 2000s (2000 - 2003) was the other extreme from the the mid 2010s. The early 2000s were super materialistic, very conservative, very conformist, kinda shallow. In high school, all the cliques were very true as well.

Written By: CarCar on 08/23/20 at 11:30 pm

I feel like the early 2000s (2000 - 2003) was the other extreme from the the mid 2010s. The early 2000s were super materialistic, very conservative, very conformist, kinda shallow. In high school, all the cliques were very true as well.

I feel like it got a little bit less extreme during the ending of the decade when people started to embrace all that relatable crap with early memes but yeah. Early 2000s was shallow asf, I mean Mean Girls exemplified this behavior and Lindsay Lohan’s and Paris Hilton’s antics of the era glorified it. There’s a reason why Juicy Couture Pink with sparkly bedazzled jewels on the pants are the image of this decade as a whole.

Written By: goodbants on 08/27/20 at 12:32 pm

Yea I’m already seeing backlash against the early 2010s with younger gen z kids. They make fun of how millennials always were like “don’t talk to me until I’ve had my coffee! XD” and took those “quirky” selfies and everything. Also the whole “I’m not like other girls” thing has been getting a ton of backlash. I can see how it went overboard with people trying to be different just for attention, but I hope the pendulum doesn’t swing too far the other way. I feel like young teens, especially girls, are almost too afraid now of fitting the “I’m not like other girls” trope and afraid to express themselves.

But yeah, I was also thinking about this before. “Quirky” is really the perfect word to describe the decade. Remember when everyone used to wear those horse masks? Also the mustache trend, astrological signs, nerd culture, hipsters, freaking flower crowns... god some of it was so cringe lmao. That’s also why I love the early to mid 2010s though, cause those were my middle school and high school years. As cringe as it was, I was apart of the whole scene and it was a great time.

Written By: CarCar on 08/27/20 at 4:44 pm

Yea I’m already seeing backlash against the early 2010s with younger gen z kids. They make fun of how millennials always were like “don’t talk to me until I’ve had my coffee! XD” and took those “quirky” selfies and everything. Also the whole “I’m not like other girls” thing has been getting a ton of backlash. I can see how it went overboard with people trying to be different just for attention, but I hope the pendulum doesn’t swing too far the other way. I feel like young teens, especially girls, are almost too afraid now of fitting the “I’m not like other girls” trope and afraid to express themselves.

But yeah, I was also thinking about this before. “Quirky” is really the perfect word to describe the decade. Remember when everyone used to wear those horse masks? Also the mustache trend, astrological signs, nerd culture, hipsters, freaking flower crowns... god some of it was so cringe lmao. That’s also why I love the early to mid 2010s though, cause those were my middle school and high school years. As cringe as it was, I was apart of the whole scene and it was a great time.

Yes, that quirky attitude is the zeitgeist of the 2010s and will be seen for years to come. It really birthed a whole new genre of teen shows that relied on they’re main protagonists with this kind of personality. There’s this show that came out on Netflix called “never have I ever” and the protagonist nails this archetype to a T. It’s May have started in 2020 but the attitude is very 2010s

It was a complete contrast to the 2000s where everyone had this elitist mentality like in shows like Gossip Girl or The O.C.

In general 2010s tv shows relied on they’re protagonists being awkward, unique and always put in uncomfortable situations that somehow works in they’re favor like in Orange is the new black.

Written By: CarCar on 08/27/20 at 5:27 pm

I feel like every time someone discusses 2010s culture and how different it is from other decades they overlook this trend and always jog it down to social media or smartphones as defining the decade. While I get it smartphones seem like they’re about to be around for a very long time so defining the 2010s purely to technology only bothered me. I’m convinced that we needed to reach the end of the decade and for the people who were actually kids and teenagers during that time to really have an opinion on it.

Written By: wixness on 08/27/20 at 7:38 pm

I question the 2010s' aesthetic tastes. Its music sounds too random and the fashion appears way too gender conforming to me even as it stands for LGBT+ rights.

Written By: goodbants on 08/28/20 at 9:50 am

I question the 2010s' aesthetic tastes. Its music sounds too random and the fashion appears way too gender conforming to me even as it stands for LGBT+ rights.

Gender conforming? I’ve seen the opposite. The 2000s are way more gender conforming imo. The 2010s decade has broken gender norms. Boys can wear makeup now and nail polish and it is more ok for girls to look androgynous too.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/28/20 at 9:56 am

Gender conforming? I’ve seen the opposite. The 2000s are way more gender conforming imo. The 2010s decade has broken gender norms. Boys can wear makeup now and nail polish and it is more ok for girls to look androgynous too.

Boys wore makeup and nail polish in the androgynous 70s during the heyday of glam rock. Boys wore short shorts too and nobody thought a thing of it. They also wore half-shirts (now known by the crude name "crop-tops") and the world went along just fine. Everybody makes such a big deal now.

Written By: goodbants on 08/28/20 at 10:09 am

Boys wore makeup and nail polish in the androgynous 70s during the heyday of glam rock. Boys wore short shorts too and nobody thought a thing of it. They also wore half-shirts (now known by the crude name "crop-tops") and the world went along just fine. Everybody makes such a big deal now.

I don’t know about the 70s but at least when you’re comparing the 2010s to the 2000s, I’d say it’s a lot less gender conforming. Guys would get bullied hard for being even slightly feminine in the 2000s. Emo guys who wore makeup were at the bottom of the social hierarchy. I remember in middle school there was this guy who would always wear pink and I thought he was so cool for defying gender norms. Nowadays guys wearing pink isn’t even weird.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/28/20 at 10:43 am

I don’t know about the 70s but at least when you’re comparing the 2010s to the 2000s, I’d say it’s a lot less gender conforming. Guys would get bullied hard for being even slightly feminine in the 2000s. Emo guys who wore makeup were at the bottom of the social hierarchy. I remember in middle school there was this guy who would always wear pink and I thought he was so cool for defying gender norms. Nowadays guys wearing pink isn’t even weird.

Oh, I'm not saying people DIDN'T get bullied in the 70s (in some quarters) for things such as nail polish and eye makeup, but they did it anyway and it was widespread. That's true liberation. As for the short shorts and half-shirts, it was just the norm. Non-gender conforming people, jocks, even old men all did it. And so did females. So it was an overall more androgynous time in general. It wasn't until the early 90s that it started being considered "feminine" to wear such clothing. It wasn't considered "feminine" in the least in the 60s-80s, so I conclude it to be a randomly assigned judgement. 

Written By: wixness on 08/28/20 at 1:35 pm

I rarely see guys wear make up and they all tend to wear their hair short too. It feels like only the early 2010s were guys trying to be gender non-conforming without necessarily being part of the LGBT+ community. I still now generally only see gender non-conforming guys if they're not straight or not transgender.

Written By: duenas8 on 08/28/20 at 10:15 pm

Jennifer Lawrence in the early 2010s when she tried to be seen as funny or when Ellen did everything in her power to try to seem relatable and liked by everyone with her be kind mantra.

I bet the 2020s is getting fatigue from this and it’s happening right about now but I wonder how will it rebel against this whole mantra.

Cancel culture is the fatigue of the early 2010’s hypocrisy and 2020’s quarantine and riots take that fatigue even further

Written By: CarCar on 08/29/20 at 2:15 am

Cancel culture is the fatigue of the early 2010’s hypocrisy and 2020’s quarantine and riots take that fatigue even further

I always saw cancel culture as the response to the crudeness and problematic behavior celebs underwent in the 2000s where it was accepted and put under the rug

Written By: DisneysRetro on 08/29/20 at 5:05 pm

Yeah and the 80’s. But I notice that it was still looked at in negative connotation compared to now. Like Prince is an all time legend but many people called him names associated with homophobia. I think the 80’s brought in more homophobia due to hiv/aids which spilled into the 90’s-2000’s and healed itself in the 2010’s.

Check for new replies or respond here...