inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will The 2010s Be Seen As "The Good Old Days" and New '90s?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/25/20 at 12:04 am

Due to the horrors of the 2020s, from civil unrest, economic collapse, the pandemic, lockdowns, social distancing, etc. Do you think the 2010s will soon be seen as the good old days and kind of like the 1990s were? I was initially expecting immediate 2010s backlash but because of the events of this year it seems people want to go back. I wonder if the 2010s will have that "good old days" vibe because of all of this to the majority of people.

In my opinion the only thing that is a lot lot better than the 2020s opposed to the 2010s so far is the music. Apart from that, this is pretty horrifying and the cringy (is that buzzword still popular?) parts of the 2010s are still here too such as social media obsession now with Tik ToK. Plus you got the horrors going on in the world mixed in now and poltical division greater than it has been ever before.

Subject: Re: Will The 2010s Be Seen As "The Good Old Days" and New '90s?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 09/25/20 at 12:49 am

I sincerely hope not.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/25/20 at 1:02 am

I sincerely hope not.

Me too but that's where things are headed because the 2020s caused so much havoc. It won't get better because it will take several generations until you can see a balanced budget again.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 09/25/20 at 1:07 am

Yeah probably.

Written By: CarCar on 09/25/20 at 1:17 am

Due to the horrors of the 2020s, from civil unrest, economic collapse, the pandemic, lockdowns, social distancing, etc. Do you think the 2010s will soon be seen as the good old days and kind of like the 1990s were? I was initially expecting immediate 2010s backlash but because of the events of this year it seems people want to go back. I wonder if the 2010s will have that "good old days" vibe because of all of this to the majority of people.

In my opinion the only thing that is a lot lot better than the 2020s opposed to the 2010s so far is the music. Apart from that, this is pretty horrifying and the cringy (is that buzzword still popular?) parts of the 2010s are still here too such as social media obsession now with Tik ToK. Plus you got the horrors going on in the world mixed in now and poltical division greater than it has been ever before.

At some point it will eventually happen when all the wannabe mumble rappers and they’re fans become the parents to the next generation and they’ll look at the decade fondly and with colored lenses. I get it nobody really likes the 2010s because they know it as a decade of civil unrest and perception of boring unoriginal pop culture but I doubt the next generation who didn’t even live the decade like we did will see things that way. I’ve met people who lived the 90s and didn’t like it and think the decade is boring but rant how much they like the 60s/70s. In other words it happens eventually

Also you speak of the 2020s in a past tense considering they just started bro lol

Written By: Slim95 on 09/25/20 at 1:21 am

decade of civil unrest

The 2010s were not like this though, but the 2020s certainly are.

In other words it happens eventually

I agree

Written By: DisneysRetro on 09/25/20 at 4:02 am

I was in high school in the early 10’s and I sorta kinda miss that time because even though we had just went through one of the largest recessions there was still more optimism in the air. I feel like it was more of a happier time in music too (even tho I hated electropop and wasn’t a fan)....I don’t really feel anything for that decade. I suffered more from anxiety and emotional issues the out most of that decade and it really put a damper on me and that is something I do not miss. The 2000’s off tops were better especially 2000-2004/5.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/20 at 7:46 am

Me too but that's where things are headed because the 2020s caused so much havoc. It won't get better because it will take several generations until you can see a balanced budget again.

I don't know what's considered "The good old days" anymore?

Written By: CarCar on 09/25/20 at 10:28 am

The 2010s were not like this though, but the 2020s certainly are.
I agree

Everyone bitched about how unstable the world was getting in the 2010s only difference is the decade didn’t really start out that way and just progressed as such as the years went by. The Late 2010s were the most unstable part for most people

Written By: Slim95 on 09/25/20 at 10:33 am

Everyone bitched about how unstable the world was getting in the 2010s only difference is the decade didn’t really start out that way and just progressed as such as the years went by. The Late 2010s were the most unstable part for most people

It was super stable compared to now. Even with the not-so-great economy compared to the state of the world right now it was very stable. It will take generations to pay off the debt from the pandemic. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/25/20 at 11:12 am

I don't know what's considered "The good old days" anymore?

Wasn't there an entire thread about that some months ago? Something about how old one should be to talk about "the (good) old days"? An abstract but interesting question.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/20 at 1:17 pm

Wasn't there an entire thread about that some months ago? Something about how old one should be to talk about "the (good) old days"? An abstract but interesting question.

I think it's somewhere on here.

Written By: CarCar on 09/25/20 at 7:14 pm

It was super stable compared to now. Even with the not-so-great economy compared to the state of the world right now it was very stable. It will take generations to pay off the debt from the pandemic.

Well I guess it’s a never ending cycle until something worse comes along

Or I’m convinced people will cherry pick stuff of the decade and not the politics that surrounded the era, at least not the negative ones.

Written By: wixness on 09/25/20 at 7:58 pm

For me I think this may be the case, only because of improved awareness of LGBT+ rights, racial inequality and the quirky pop culture trying to cater to misfits, in contrast with the clique-y as hell and rather dark, forgettable and hard to describe/define 2000s culture.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/26/20 at 8:08 am

Also you speak of the 2020s in a past tense considering they just started bro lol

Maybe because it feels like we've been living in this decade for 3-5 years already, lol.

I was in high school in the early 10’s and I sorta kinda miss that time because even though we had just went through one of the largest recessions there was still more optimism in the air. I feel like it was more of a happier time in music too (even tho I hated electropop and wasn’t a fan)....I don’t really feel anything for that decade. I suffered more from anxiety and emotional issues the out most of that decade and it really put a damper on me and that is something I do not miss. The 2000’s off tops were better especially 2000-2004/5.

Yeah, I'm nostalgic for the Mid-2000's right now. It's like the new 1980's. In fact, 2004 is the same amount of time back from 2020 as 1988 was from 2004. I remember in 2004 being very nostalgic for the memories of 1988, while living in the moment was great as well. Now I'm nostalgic for both 2004 and 1988, and looking back they seem a lot more similar to each other than 2020 is to either.

As for the 2010's, it's still a bit soon to be nostalgic for it and remember it as the "good 'ol days", even though it's still better than 2020 and even 2019 feels like forever ago. In some ways it does feel like the Pre-9/11 days looking back from Post-9/11. I do remember the Mid-2010's being a dark time, but the Late 2010's had a calm before the storm feel (or eye of a hurricane). The Early 10's were the best part of the decade however.

Written By: CarCar on 09/26/20 at 7:50 pm

Maybe because it feels like we've been living in this decade for 3-5 years already, lol.

Yeah, I'm nostalgic for the Mid-2000's right now. It's like the new 1980's. In fact, 2004 is the same amount of time back from 2020 as 1988 was from 2004. I remember in 2004 being very nostalgic for the memories of 1988, while living in the moment was great as well. Now I'm nostalgic for both 2004 and 1988, and looking back they seem a lot more similar to each other than 2020 is to either.

As for the 2010's, it's still a bit soon to be nostalgic for it and remember it as the "good 'ol days", even though it's still better than 2020 and even 2019 feels like forever ago. In some ways it does feel like the Pre-9/11 days looking back from Post-9/11. I do remember the Mid-2010's being a dark time, but the Late 2010's had a calm before the storm feel (or eye of a hurricane). The Early 10's were the best part of the decade however.

Honestly I view the 2000s as the new 90s and the 90s as the new 80s. The 2010s is the new 2000s, the decade where everything started going to sheesh according to some people and only the early part of the decade is good according to some people.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/27/20 at 1:28 am

and only the early part of the decade is good according to some people.

The early part was the worst IMO except 2013. The mid part was the best.

Written By: CarCar on 09/27/20 at 2:07 pm

Yeah people who were kids during that time period won’t see it that way

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/28/20 at 9:51 am

For me it's the opposite. The late 2013/early 2014 was the worst, in some ways worse than 2020, but mainly with my personal life.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 09/29/20 at 6:49 pm

That’s a very interesting perspective. I actually feel like the mid 2010’s were more brighter and happier compared to 2016 onwards. After the Paris attacks and Trump’s announcements for Presidency the world became very political compared to before. 2020 to me is just like the burst of all the negative thats been going on. This year makes 2001-2002 look like such a simpler time (it was for me any how).

Written By: Sman12 on 10/07/20 at 10:21 am

Even as a Zoomer myself, I wouldn't exactly call the 2010s the "new 90s", since the past decade was a lot more hectic with school shootings, heavier political polarization, upticks of terrorist attacks, and violent protests.

The early 2010s imo, would be the "good ol' days" for me personally, even with the slow economic recovery from the Recession, the Arab Spring and Occupy movements. Pop culture was a lot more optimistic, and politics wasn't as highly sensitive and reactionary. The mid-2010s were sort of a mixed bag for me. I enjoyed some of what pop culture had to offer ike Vine, EDM, and "dank" memes, but society got progressively more political, especially with the rise of ISIS, Brexit and the Trump vs. Clinton showdown. I never really liked the late 2010s all that much, besides some of the music and video games that were released.

The 2019-2020 school year is not comparable to the 2001-2002 school year at all. Back then, society went from optimistic to paranoid and cynical, while 2019-2020 felt like society went from reactionary and cynical to grim.

Check for new replies or respond here...