inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Legacy of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Written By: duenas8 on 09/27/20 at 9:45 pm

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World turned 10 years old in 2020 and its legacy is big nowadays. The protagonists of this film are the perfect depiction of two essential terms of the current Internet culture: Simp and e-girl. Actually there’s a viral song dedicated to the female character Ramona Flowers blaming her for destroying a whole generation of girls, while Scott Pilgrim is the heroic representation of one of the most bullied stereotypes in the early 20s, so sorry Michael Cera 8-P

TSKizLRFbTo

Subject: Re: The Legacy of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/27/20 at 10:27 pm

I love that movie! I'm not sure about all that legacy stuff, but oh well. I guess the characters must be archetypes though, because I've also heard the female described as a "manic pixie dream girl", which apparently is a thing. People have way too much time on their hands. But still, a great movie. 

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/21 at 9:24 pm

This is one of my favourite movies of all time–mainly because I had a Michael Cera obsession in my teens (nothing sexual, I just found his character fascinating). I thought Romona Flowers looked great! Her fashion wasn't anything groundbreaking though, dyed hair was popular throughout the 1990s and 2000s. I noticed it became associated with "SJWs" in the mid-2010s but at the time it was associated with scenesters.

Written By: GameXcaper on 03/23/21 at 10:58 pm

Lol I noticed that big change as I became a teenager. The women weren't as feminine or girly as the ones from when I was in elementary school. But weren't gen X women also like this during the 90s? A really good example is Marla Singer in Fight Club. Gen Z girls are the children of Gen X women. Like how Millennial women are the daughters of mainly Boomer women. And the two are very a like. Both Millennial and Boomer women had very feminine or girly fashion during their teenage years and the first half of their 20s. (Late 60s, 70s to early 80s for boomers and the late 90s and 2000s and early 2010s for millennials) while transitioning to more masculine clothing in their later 20s and 30s (80s and 90s, and 2010s respectively). While Gen X women had more masculine or androgynous fashion during the same age (Later 80s and most of the 90s) before wearing more feminine and tight clothing in their later 20s, 30s and onwards during the 2000s. Jessica, maybe you can pitch in since you are part of that age group?

Check for new replies or respond here...