inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What were some millennial qualities in pop culture in 2016 or 2017?

Written By: mjstudios97 on 12/11/20 at 4:56 am

Everyone’s on a consensus that 2018 was the start of Gen Z culture but I don’t really see what makes 2016 or 2017 millennial cultural years at all.

Maybe other than Tropical House, though the genre felt more kind of Z or Zillennial to me.. though I’m not too sure. Mumble rap and emo rap already penetrated the pop culture those years didn’t it?

Subject: Re: What were some millennial qualities in pop culture in 2016 or 2017?

Written By: 2001 on 12/11/20 at 6:50 am

I'd say late 2017 was when it started. 2016 was kind of half and half. Things like Chainsmokers, Twenty One Pilots, EDM/indie rock, Pokémon GO etc. were more targetted at late Millennials.

I'd say by late 2017 when Cardi B, Dua Lipa, Gucci Gang etc. came out millennials were out of the picture.

Subject: Re: What were some millennial qualities in pop culture in 2016 or 2017?

Written By: mjstudios97 on 12/11/20 at 10:40 am

I'd say late 2017 was when it started. 2016 was kind of half and half. Things like Chainsmokers, Twenty One Pilots, EDM/indie rock, Pokémon GO etc. were more targetted at late Millennials.

I'd say by late 2017 when Cardi B, Dua Lipa, Gucci Gang etc. came out millennials were out of the picture.

Interesting. I do think 2016, was the last year that had some solidly millennial qualities and 2017 was kind of the bridging year from a mainstream Millennial culture to a mainstream Gen Z one. 2018 was very Gen Z oriented.

Check for new replies or respond here...