inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Virtual Reality technology

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 12/13/20 at 8:40 am

A lot of people on here said that the 2010s decade didn't have any big tech innovations that came from it but I think they're wrong and is sleeping on one that did come from it: Virtual Reality (VR) technology. It seems like the folks in this forum never used a virtual reality headset before. The reason why I said that is because Virtual Reality technology is very impressive. It is very immersive (Check out the VR version of Google Street View.). When I first bought my VR headset, the concept of it got old after a short period of time and I stopped using it for some while. During that period of me not using it for a while, I found out that I was using it wrong and found out that there are more things it can do. With that being said, virtual reality technology does have a future. Matter of fact, virtual reality technology really can be useful right now during this pandemic with people being stuck inside during the lockdowns and wanting to go out.

Subject: Re: Virtual Reality technology

Written By: wagonman76 on 12/14/20 at 11:54 am

I never tried it. Back in the day I kept hearing it was the most amazing thing. Now for many years I’ve seen vr goggles in Goodwill for like $6. Of course I haven’t been in there most of this year.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/14/20 at 2:36 pm

Just got an Oculus Quest 2 a couple of weeks back. Beat Saber is a pretty cool and fun game, and it's a good way to get some exercise while you're all cooped up. I'm still waiting on them to come out with a Superman or Spider-Man game, I can only imagine how killer it would be to play as your favorite superhero in VR.

The only thing I don't like about it is that you're required to have a Facebook account in order to use it. I'd been thinking about getting rid of my FB account for a while but I guess I'm stuck with it. I'll just have to keep minimizing social media's effect on me.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/20 at 10:58 pm

Actually if you were around in this forum in the mid-2010s we used to talk about VR a lot. VR had a lot of promise, but like the several previous attempts, it didn't live up to them. I tried a VR headsets a few times but I didn't find the experience very immersive and it gave me motion sickness. 

There doesn't seem to be as much innovation or excitement in the field as 5 years ago. It went the same way as 3D TVs in the early 2010s did.

Anyway... "more things it can do" eh. What kind of things? ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/15/20 at 4:14 am

Actually if you were around in this forum in the mid-2010s we used to talk about VR a lot. VR had a lot of promise, but like the several previous attempts, it didn't live up to them. I tried a VR headsets a few times but I didn't find the experience very immersive and it gave me motion sickness. 

There doesn't seem to be as much innovation or excitement in the field as 5 years ago. It went the same way as 3D TVs in the early 2010s did.

Anyway... "more things it can do" eh. What kind of things? ;)

I'm guessing that most people's experiences with virtual reality were with the Samsung Gear VR, which was a neat gimmick but ultimately was a piece of crap. You'd clip your Samsung smartphone into the headset and it would inevitably overheat and shut down.

The Oculus Quest 2 is a massive improvement over the Gear VR, but it still seems like VR is still in its early stages and we will certainly seem some great leaps forward in this decade as the technology improves.

Beat Saber is the most popular game for Oculus Quest but it doesn't seem to be well-known outside the VR community. For VR to really take off, it needs a killer app that will capture the public's attention.

Written By: karen on 12/15/20 at 7:39 am

I first tested some VR screens in the late nineties. The optics group in the university department I worked in was looking at developing some using polarising lenses to get a 3D effect.

Then in the mid 2000s I was involved in another study looking at motion sickness using VR headsets. We played a computer game based on a Star Wars, flying through a canyon. Some volunteers were also put in a spinning chair to induce motion sickness. This happened a couple of times in a week and then they played the game again to see if it still made them feel ill. Mixed results here, and thankfully I didn’t have to clean the lab afterwards!

Written By: wagonman76 on 12/15/20 at 11:06 am

I first tested some VR screens in the late nineties. The optics group in the university department I worked in was looking at developing some using polarising lenses to get a 3D effect.

Then in the mid 2000s I was involved in another study looking at motion sickness using VR headsets. We played a computer game based on a Star Wars, flying through a canyon. Some volunteers were also put in a spinning chair to induce motion sickness. This happened a couple of times in a week and then they played the game again to see if it still made them feel ill. Mixed results here, and thankfully I didn’t have to clean the lab afterwards!

Good to know. I won’t try it.

Written By: Elor on 12/22/20 at 11:16 am

Beat Saber is the most popular game for Oculus Quest but it doesn't seem to be well-known outside the VR community. For VR to really take off, it needs a killer app that will capture the public's attention.
You mean like Half Life Alyx? ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 12/25/20 at 5:34 pm

It's cool when you first use it but then you get tired of it and would rather spend your time in reality. I had one and then sold it when I got bored with it. But if you use it for the first time it's amazing. It feels futuristic and out of this world.

Check for new replies or respond here...