inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Signs You're Stuck in the 2010s

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/21 at 3:33 pm

- You don't wear a mask
- You still shave everyday
- Use still attend large gatherings
- You think Drake is cool

Subject: Re: Signs You're Stuck in the 2010s

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/03/21 at 6:14 pm

You think Facebook is the greatest thing ever created since you can share every single thing that's on your mind.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/21 at 8:04 pm

No one shaved in the 2010s haha. Some beards made the Taliban looked clean-shaven. ;D

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 01/03/21 at 8:50 pm

- You still wear flannel/plaid shirts
- You still listen to Indie Rock
- You still use Facebook

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/03/21 at 9:03 pm

- You still wear flannel/plaid shirts
- You still listen to Indie Rock
- You still use Facebook

This!

;D  ;D  ;D

1) Flannel shirts should have begin and ended with the great Neil Young in 1972.

2) Indie rock is so soppily vapid now that it is unlistenable. And that includes acoustic artists. And mind you, I am a lifelong lover of folk and acoustic oriented music. But listen to any of them today and the only word that comes to mind is "babyish". Does anyone else notice this? What the hell is that baby voice? Especially with women? What happened to strong sounding women in music?

3) Only old people are on Facebook now. It's a bloated nothingness.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/03/21 at 9:22 pm

- You still shave everyday

Shaving wasn't that frequent in the '10s.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/21 at 3:12 pm

No one shaved in the 2010s haha. Some beards made the Taliban looked clean-shaven. ;D

I shaved and to this day I still do.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/04/21 at 5:58 pm

I think the 2010s cultural influence will be with us for a long while. BLM, Trumpism, Minecraft, Snapchat, Instagram, and other things will probably last for a couple more years at least.

Written By: Wink-182 on 01/05/21 at 2:44 pm

I think the 2010s cultural influence will be with us for a long while. BLM, Trumpism, Minecraft, Snapchat, Instagram, and other things will probably last for a couple more years at least.

I agree, we're only in 2021. 2019 was only two years ago. I think this question might fit better in 2025 or so.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/13/21 at 4:47 pm

We are not in the 2010s anymore... Covid marked the start of the 2020s. It's about time you guys understood that.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/13/21 at 4:48 pm

I agree, we're only in 2021. 2019 was only two years ago. I think this question might fit better in 2025 or so.

And your point? We are in the 2020s right now and that's a fact.  ::)

Written By: Sman12 on 01/14/21 at 9:42 am

We are not in the 2010s anymore... Covid marked the start of the 2020s. It's about time you guys understood that.

I'm aware of the impact COVID has, but it didn't automatically kill off 2010s influences. I can compare this period to other early eras like the early 2010s, early 2000s, or early 90s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/14/21 at 9:49 am

I'm aware of the impact COVID has, but it didn't automatically kill off 2010s influences. I can compare this period to other early eras like the early 2010s, early 2000s, or early 90s.

It may not have immediately kill off 2010 influences, but it brought in so many new ones, and such a different way of being, and even a new way of looking at things, as to overshadow those earlier influences, and even render them insignificant. It works that way too, you know. The 2020s are HERE. It is a new era, READY OR NOT. 

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/14/21 at 1:00 pm

1. You still use a Blu-Ray player
2. You still describe all homosexual communities as just LGBT and not with any additional letters or plus signs (the World Almanac added them all in, QIA+ with their 2021 edition)
3. You still play with Nintendo 3DS
4. You're always looking forward to that next Marvel superhero film
5. Your wireless coverage is still 4G
6. You still use Windows 7 or 8
7. You think Millennials are still the youth demographic
8. You binge watch a marathon of The Big Bang Theory
9. You shop in store at a legacy department store (hopefully this will be temporary)
10. The Black Eyed Peas, One Direction, and Adele are your most listened to artists (though they'll endure for awhile)

It's just amazing how rapid this decade shift is happening compared to the past couple ones. Even the 1980s-90s transition wasn't as rapid as this. You have to go back to the 1970s-80s to find a comparable one.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/14/21 at 1:03 pm

Well early 2010s includes the 2010s in general as well.

Written By: wixness on 01/14/21 at 1:48 pm

Insisting the short back and sides haircut looks any good.

Written By: Wink-182 on 01/14/21 at 5:08 pm

And your point? We are in the 2020s right now and that's a fact.  ::)

It was only two years ago, though. Do you feel any difference in culture besides politics and COVID? Most decades don't really get their groove until about the 4th or 5th year into it, before that it's really just a continuation of the previous decade.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/14/21 at 6:22 pm

It was only two years ago, though. Do you feel any difference in culture besides politics and COVID? Most decades don't really get their groove until about the 4th or 5th year into it, before that it's really just a continuation of the previous decade.

Yes, this time there IS a difference. Because of the virus, TV shows are being made differently, music is being recorded differently. People work differently. People wear masks. You think that isn't a difference in "fashion" from two years ago?? The virus has changed the culture. Or think about this...everywhere I go I see discarded masks all over the sidewalk and street. Did THAT happen two years ago? Like it or not, that's part of the culture. Covid is DRIVING THE CULTURE. 

Written By: Slim95 on 01/14/21 at 6:27 pm

Yes, this time there IS a difference. Because of the virus, TV shows are being made differently, music is being recorded differently. People work differently. People wear masks. You think that isn't a difference in "fashion" from two years ago?? The virus has changed the culture. Or think about this...everywhere I go I see discarded masks all over the sidewalk and street. Did THAT happen two years ago? Like it or not, that's part of the culture. Covid is DRIVING THE CULTURE.

I agree

Written By: passthegabagool on 01/14/21 at 8:11 pm

I can't believe people actually think we're not yet in the 2020s culturally. If I were to go to sleep tonight and wake up on even December 31st, 2019, I'd instantly know I'm in a different year/time period as soon as I stepped outside. That's how you know.

Written By: Wink-182 on 01/14/21 at 8:43 pm

I can't believe people actually think we're not yet in the 2020s culturally. If I were to go to sleep tonight and wake up on even December 31st, 2019, I'd instantly know I'm in a different year/time period as soon as I stepped outside. That's how you know.

There's a difference between time passing from December 31st 2019 11:59PM and thinking things are going to change as soon as date hits January 1st 2020 12:00am. Yeah, obviously it's a new decade, but that doesn't mean things will magically change as soon as the clock strikes twelve. All change comes with time, we didn't magically just get smartphones and the Xbox 360, as soon as January 1st 2000 rolled around, did we?

Written By: passthegabagool on 01/14/21 at 8:45 pm

There's a difference between time passing from December 31st 2019 11:59PM and thinking things are going to change as soon as date hits January 1st 2020 12:00am. Yeah, obviously it's a new decade, but that doesn't mean things will magically change as soon as the clock strikes twelve. All change comes with time, we didn't magically just get smartphones and the Xbox 360, as soon as January 1st 2000 rolled around, did we?

I wasn't talking about if you were to go to sleep on January 1st, 2020 and wake up on December 31st, 2019. I was talking about if you were to wake up in any time post-mid March 2020 and wake up on December 31st, 2019. January 2020 was still culturally in the Late 2010s.

Yes, all change comes with time, and the transition into the Early 2020s started in March 2020 with a whole new way of life hitting us hard.

January 2021 is culturally in the Early 2020s.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/14/21 at 8:51 pm

That's not what I meant. January 1, 2020 was still culturally in the Late 2010s. The cultural Early 2020s started in March 2020 with a whole new way of life hitting us hard.

Post-mid March 2020, and especially now, it would feel very different to go to sleep and wake up on December 31, 2019.

2020 as a whole was a very transitional year, January and December 2020 felt nothing alike.

January 2021 is culturally the Early 2020s.

Exactly.

Written By: Wink-182 on 01/14/21 at 8:52 pm

That's not what I meant. January 1, 2020 was still culturally in the Late 2010s. The cultural Early 2020s started in March 2020 with a whole new way of life hitting us hard.

Post-mid March 2020, and especially now, it would feel very different to go to sleep and wake up on December 31, 2019.

2020 is the only decade where my point is moot, any other previous decade though, my point still stands. Yeah, Covid is a change with people wearing masks and stuff like that, but it's not like we're living in some type of dystopian future where everything is completely unrecognizable compared to the previous year.

Written By: passthegabagool on 01/14/21 at 9:01 pm

2020 is the only decade where my point is moot, any other previous decade though, my point still stands. Yeah, Covid is a change with people wearing masks and stuff like that, but it's not like we're living in some type of dystopian future where everything in completely unrecognizable compared to the previous year.
The coronavirus looming over everyone in the world's head and now mutating, nationwide protests over police violence in the Summer of 2020, and an election resulting in political tensions climaxing with domestic terrorists raiding the US capitol on January 6th, make January 2021 pretty damn different from 2019 and even Early 2020.

Not to mention that COVID-19 wasn't even a minor issue in 2019, it was literally UNHEARD of for the entirety, and didn't even EXIST until November or December. Today, it has affected and killed so many.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/21 at 4:15 am

I see it everyday now, It's disgusting and a bad habit.  >:(  8-P

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/17/21 at 3:45 pm

2. You still describe all homosexual communities as just LGBT and not with any additional letters or plus signs (the World Almanac added them all in, QIA+ with their 2021 edition)
9. You shop in store at a legacy department store (hopefully this will be temporary)
10. The Black Eyed Peas, One Direction, and Adele are your most listened to artists (though they'll endure for awhile)

It's just amazing how rapid this decade shift is happening compared to the past couple ones. Even the 1980s-90s transition wasn't as rapid as this. You have to go back to the 1970s-80s to find a comparable one.

It's just coincidence that it just happened in the third month of the decade. From the 1990s to 2000s, it was a year and 9 months into it. For the 2000s to 2010s, it was actually a long transition between 2008 to 2012 and it was hard to tell when one ended and the other one began. The 1980s to 90s was a similar transition although the events like Berlin Wall and fall of Soviet Union which marked the end of the Cold War occurred around the turn of the decade.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/21 at 7:11 am

You've been watching a lot of "2 Broke Girls".

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/12/21 at 12:12 pm

You've been watching a lot of "2 Broke Girls".

That was a good show.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/21 at 2:12 pm

That was a good show.

I've been watching it on repeats and after 10 years Kat and Beth still make me laugh.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/15/21 at 2:25 pm

Here's another one: you think the iPhone is the only smart phone that exists, and use the name as a generic term to describe smart phones.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/29/21 at 2:13 pm

One to add: the only streaming services you use are Netflix and Hulu.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/29/21 at 2:27 pm

You think foldable phones are only Sci-Fi.

Written By: xenzue on 03/31/21 at 8:09 pm

BLM is just another branch of the greater civil rights movement. I feel like Trumpism will either die by the US midterms or will be re-energized.

Minecraft is larger than the 2010s at this point, every couple years it seemingly blows up again. Most likely it will end up like Sonic the Hedgehog or the Super Mario universe; a cultural powerhouse spanning many generations and decades.

Snapchat and Instagram will almost certainly die this decade. Snapchat has been in a rapid user decline since 2018 and Instagram's decline started in 2019, which only sped up rapidly since Tik Tok's rise and the resurgence of Twitter. Discord is also exploding as well. It's going to take a while because old habits die hard but I do think they'll be relics of a bygone era come 2030.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/02/21 at 8:10 am

Snapchat and Instagram will almost certainly die this decade. Snapchat has been in a rapid user decline since 2018 and Instagram's decline started in 2019, which only sped up rapidly since Tik Tok's rise and the resurgence of Twitter. Discord is also exploding as well. It's going to take a while because old habits die hard but I do think they'll be relics of a bygone era come 2030.

As I stated in another thread, I like Instagram and would be sad to see it die. It has the one sole feature that I like about Facebook, while Twitter is the one feature I don't care for. I can’t dance and don't want to embarass myself so I won't join TikTok. I'll check out Discord, it looks more like another WhatsApp than a Facebook, MySpace, or Instagram.

Written By: wixness on 04/02/21 at 11:18 am

1. I think people would be stuck in the late 2000s if they didn't stream their movies at all by this point, or didn't use Netflix, Spotify or similar.

2. True, I guess, although some places online these days are OK with just LGBT+ or LGBTQ+ (in fact I read some survey on Tumblr saying this is what they most prefer). So far I've only encountered Twitch using LGBTQIA+.

3. True because of the Switch I reckon, but most portable Nintendo consoles before that were more a late 2000s thing for me.
4. Maybe, maybe not.

5. I live somewhere that still doesn't have 5G, and it's a pretty liberal place too. I think delays with regards to the pandemic are why this is the case but also the organization Extinction Rebellion seems to have some influence here. It's also not a very big place.

6. Yeah although I guess there are those who either need Windows but hate the nightmare that is Windows 10 or are terrible with computers.

7. Yes.

8. This is kind of true as well especially when people have identified it to be problematic. The show isn't my taste anyway so I don't care to remember how and why it's problematic.

9. I don't know about this one.

10. This is likely true I think.

Written By: wixness on 04/02/21 at 11:21 am

As I stated in another thread, I like Instagram and would be sad to see it die. It has the one sole feature that I like about Facebook, while Twitter is the one feature I don't care for. I can’t dance and don't want to embarass myself so I won't join TikTok. I'll check out Discord, it looks more like another WhatsApp than a Facebook, MySpace, or Instagram.

Not a fan of Instagram or TikTok simply because they seem too 2010s to me and even if that weren't an issue for me, I would envy their users. Part of the reason I had to leave Tumblr too, was out of envy; I otherwise love Tumblr especially for how 2000s it feels and how accurately and comprehensive, relatively speaking, it is with my interests.
Twitter, I got irritated by some rather... backwards users on there and didn't want to read news I can do nothing about, even from word of mouth sources. Discord I try not to use too much because I've been a toxic turd on there, and it is essentially an instant messaging platform so it's more like WhatsApp.

Written By: wixness on 04/02/21 at 11:23 am

Seconded. Last time clean shaven was a thing was back in the 2000s. Not shaving crept in gradually in the 2010s

Written By: Howard on 04/02/21 at 1:46 pm

You binge watch 2 Broke Girls.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/21 at 4:12 pm

You still think Game of Thrones is good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/21 at 4:23 pm

You still think Game of Thrones is good.
Soon to be made into a movie, but sorry, I cannot locate a good link for it yet.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/02/21 at 9:50 pm

You binge watch 2 Broke Girls.

Or "The New Girl"

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/21 at 11:11 pm

You still think Gangnam Style is the latest thing.

Written By: duenas8 on 04/04/21 at 12:23 am

- You still have a cellphone with big bezels
- You still call musical.ly to Tiktok
- Your best dating advice is still “Just be confident”
- You think Cyberpunk 2077 will be the best game ever

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/21 at 12:56 am

- You still have a cellphone with big bezels
- You still call musical.ly to Tiktok
- Your best dating advice is still “Just be confident”
- You think Cyberpunk 2077 will be the best game ever
Fortuitous, I do not fall into any of these...

Written By: Slim95 on 04/04/21 at 3:46 am

You still think bitcoin/crypto currency is just a passing fad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/21 at 4:28 am

You still think bitcoin/crypto currency is just a passing fad.
I see it only as a con, and chance for scammers.

Btw, with the prospect of websites crashing or shutting down on the Internet and www, is your money safe?

Check for new replies or respond here...