inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: RGB LEDs are to the 2010s what neon signs were to the 80s and 50s

Written By: GameXcaper on 03/18/21 at 8:41 pm

LEDs took off with a storm this decade (I know it's technically the last decade, but we aren't far enough removed from the late 2010s to consider it a different CULTURAL era yet, despite what's happened with COVID19). First with LED HD TVs and monitors, then LED-backlit keyboards on laptops, and then eventually LED strips. LED car headlamps started with the Audi r8 (Released in 2008, which I consider the start of the cultural 2010s), and now every car uses them. Finally, in the late 2010s, RGB rainbow LEDs have become synonymous with PC gaming. Many people are putting up LED strips and RGB-led color-changing bulbs inside their rooms to give them a look that you only previously saw in nightclubs and red-light districts or in places like Times Square and Tokyo. It looks very similar to a lot of cyberpunk artwork. This decade will be remembered aesthetically for the ubiquity of flat screens and LEDs.

Subject: Re: RGB LEDs are to the 2010s what neon signs were to the 80s and 50s

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/18/21 at 9:01 pm

Bulbs in houses are going away from spiral CFL to traditional bulb shaped LEDs too.

We had toys in the 80s with multi colored LEDs. But much like digital photography, LED technology has gotten to the point where it can compete with incandescent in brightness vs size and still be affordable. Being more efficient, longer lasting, and lately they have tones available to mimic a warm incandescent if you wish. Or all sorts of colors.

Subject: Re: RGB LEDs are to the 2010s what neon signs were to the 80s and 50s

Written By: wixness on 03/19/21 at 1:25 pm

LEDs took off with a storm this decade (I know it's technically the last decade, but we aren't far enough removed from the late 2010s to consider it a different CULTURAL era yet, despite what's happened with COVID19). First with LED HD TVs and monitors, then LED-backlit keyboards on laptops, and then eventually LED strips. LED car headlamps started with the Audi r8 (Released in 2008, which I consider the start of the cultural 2010s), and now every car uses them. Finally, in the late 2010s, RGB rainbow LEDs have become synonymous with PC gaming. Many people are putting up LED strips and RGB-led color-changing bulbs inside their rooms to give them a look that you only previously saw in nightclubs and red-light districts or in places like Times Square and Tokyo. It looks very similar to a lot of cyberpunk artwork. This decade will be remembered aesthetically for the ubiquity of flat screens and LEDs.

It was first embraced in irony (especially with the more queer accepting nature of this decade I believe) before being embraced properly.

Check for new replies or respond here...